L'eta del dubbio by Andrea Camilleri

L'eta del dubbio (edition 2008)

by Andrea Camilleri

Member:avantaggiato
Title:L'eta del dubbio
Authors:Andrea Camilleri
Info:Sallerio editore Palermo (2008), Perfect Paperback, 265 pages

The Age of Doubt by Andrea Camilleri

English (18)  Catalan (2)  Spanish (2)  Italian (2)  French (1)  All languages (25)
I know I read this book, and if I browse through it I'll remember what it was about, but otherwise it was not memorable. It wasn't awful, and would be a good 'beach read', but that's about it. As usual, all the older men in this book were sexist and seemed incapable of interacting with any woman without sizing her up for possible sexual adventures. The women have a tendency to overreact, a stereotype I've seen in European soap opera shows, and all the characters some across as flat or unrealistic. ( )
  JBarringer | Dec 30, 2017 |
Read it in English, but the title does not appear yet... ( )
  APopova | Jan 2, 2017 |
Another enjoyable entry in the Inspector Montalbano series! In this one, I guess he is going through some sort of midlife crisis as he becomes quickly infatuated with a younger woman. I don't really like his long-term girlfriend Livia but I felt a bit sorry for her in this one... ( )
  leslie.98 | Dec 6, 2016 |
The Age of Doubt is one of Andrea Camilleri's most enjoyable mysteries featuring the irascible Inspector Salvo Montalbano. Someone successfully cons him which simultaneously alarms and amuses him. He has a tough time identifying the dead man brought in on the yacht. And a good mind for geography is needed to piece together what those two vessels are doing in the harbor at Vigáta. It's all enough to make Montalbano doubt his abilities-- especially when he starts speaking in clichés.

The book also has Camilleri's trademark humor that can easily have me laughing out loud, as in scenes when Montalbano is desperately trying to get something done and no one cooperates. One can never say enough about Stephen Sartarelli's superb translations of these books, and the food? When's the next plane to Sicily-- I'm starving! There was only one small blighted spot in The Age of Doubt concerning something that is expected of Montalbano's married detective, but it's not about to spoil my enjoyment of wonderful series. Long live Salvo Montabano! ( )
  cathyskye | Aug 18, 2016 |
Delightful! I immediately placed a hold on the first in the series and look forward to listening to all of them. Grover Gardner is a wonderful reader. My husband will be disappointed that he has an American accent, but I thought it worked well. There is a lot more humor in these books than came across in the television series. I enjoyed them on TV but much prefer the books. Good characters, some touching moments as well. ( )
  njcur | Aug 17, 2016 |

Andrea Camilleriprimary authorall editionscalculated
Sartarelli, StephenTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Amb prou feines acabava d'agafar el son després d'una nit del lloro com n'havia passades poques, quan un tro que li va retrunyir com una canonada a cinc mil·límetres de l'orella el despertà sobtadament.

One night, Inspector Montalbano dreams of a stormy sea, which he knows represents unease and loss of control. The next day, a boat is found in the port of Vigata, and within it, the body of a disfigured corpse. The waterfront has also drawn in an eighty-five-foot luxury boat passengered by fifty carefree souls and a somewhat shadowy crew. They will have to stay in Vigata until the investigation is over--the man, it seems, was poisoned. However, right now, it is the yacht's owner and sailors Montalbano is focused on.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,800,852 books! | Top bar: Always visible