The Age of Doubt (Montalbano 14) by Andrea…

The Age of Doubt (Montalbano 14) (edition 2012)

by Andrea Camilleri

4442023,573 (3.57)59
Member:ebyrne41
Title:The Age of Doubt (Montalbano 14)
Authors:Andrea Camilleri
Info:Mantle (2012), Hardcover, 288 pages
Collections:Your library, Read but unowned
Rating:****1/2
Tags:Montalbano, Italian fiction, crime, Sicily, diamonds, smuggling

The Age of Doubt by Andrea Camilleri

English (15)  Catalan (2)  Italian (1)  Spanish (1)  French (1)  English (20)
The Age of Doubt is one of Andrea Camilleri's most enjoyable mysteries featuring the irascible Inspector Salvo Montalbano. Someone successfully cons him which simultaneously alarms and amuses him. He has a tough time identifying the dead man brought in on the yacht. And a good mind for geography is needed to piece together what those two vessels are doing in the harbor at Vigáta. It's all enough to make Montalbano doubt his abilities-- especially when he starts speaking in clichés.

The book also has Camilleri's trademark humor that can easily have me laughing out loud, as in scenes when Montalbano is desperately trying to get something done and no one cooperates. One can never say enough about Stephen Sartarelli's superb translations of these books, and the food? When's the next plane to Sicily-- I'm starving! There was only one small blighted spot in The Age of Doubt concerning something that is expected of Montalbano's married detective, but it's not about to spoil my enjoyment of wonderful series. Long live Salvo Montabano! ( )
  cathyskye | Aug 18, 2016 |
Delightful! I immediately placed a hold on the first in the series and look forward to listening to all of them. Grover Gardner is a wonderful reader. My husband will be disappointed that he has an American accent, but I thought it worked well. There is a lot more humor in these books than came across in the television series. I enjoyed them on TV but much prefer the books. Good characters, some touching moments as well. ( )
  njcur | Aug 17, 2016 |
2012, Blackstone Audiobooks, Read by Grover Gardner

Book Description: from Audible.com
In this, the most maritime of Montalbano’s investigations, listeners will be struck by the change in the commissioner. One night, Inspector Montalbano dreams of a stormy sea, which he knows represents unease and loss of control. The next day, a boat is found in the port of Vigàta and within it, the body of a disfigured corpse. The waterfront has also drawn in an 85-foot luxury boat passengered by 50 carefree souls and a somewhat shadowy crew. They will have to stay in Vigàta until the investigation is over: the man, it seems, was poisoned. However, right now, it is the yacht’s owner and sailors Montalbano is focused on.

Montalbano must navigate the murky waters of his relationship with Livia while trying to find which seafaring suspect is the real murderer.

My Review:
The Age of Doubt is humourous, suspenseful, and moving in a way I did not expect. Just another day at the office (well, almost), and the Inspector is called into the office of the pain-in-the-ass-Commissioner, who accuses Montalbano of being stark raving mad! Mimi Augello, at the Inspector’s request, plays an undercover role that adds some spice to the maritime investigation. In the last installment, I had some advice myself for the Inspector, which was answer your own phone! I have some wisdom to add to that advice: When answering your own phone, do NOT assume it is a beautiful woman – other than Livia – on the other end! The conclusion of The Age of Doubt is quite sad: I was moved by the Inspector’s display of emotion.

Series continues to be one I recommend! ( )
1 vote lit_chick | Aug 11, 2016 |
Camilleri is fun to read. Interesting plots, limited violence, a touch of romance, and food! My, my Inspector Montalbano eats well. He also manages to tell white lies in awkward situations--reminds me of the Judi Dench role in the Britcom As Time Goes By. My own copy, picked up at a library friends' sale. ( )
  seeword | Aug 7, 2016 |
Montalbano happens upon a car in danger of being swept away in water. He rescues the woman who is meeting a relative arriving by yacht. It soon leads to a mystery involving the yacht, another vessel, the port police, and even distant parts. Being in a relationship with Livia does not keep Montalbano's eyes from trying to create a relationship with a female lieutenant from the port authority. It was interesting enough but not as believable as some in the series. I listened to this one, and Grover Gardener, the narrator, did a great job as usual. ( )
  thornton37814 | Nov 19, 2015 |

Andrea Camilleriprimary authorall editionscalculated
Sartarelli, StephenTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Amb prou feines acabava d'agafar el son després d'una nit del lloro com n'havia passades poques, quan un tro que li va retrunyir com una canonada a cinc mil·límetres de l'orella el despertà sobtadament.

One night, Inspector Montalbano dreams of a stormy sea, which he knows represents unease and loss of control. The next day, a boat is found in the port of Vigata, and within it, the body of a disfigured corpse. The waterfront has also drawn in an eighty-five-foot luxury boat passengered by fifty carefree souls and a somewhat shadowy crew. They will have to stay in Vigata until the investigation is over--the man, it seems, was poisoned. However, right now, it is the yacht's owner and sailors Montalbano is focused on.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,640,024 books! | Top bar: Always visible