Wings by Aprilynne Pike

Title:Wings
Authors:Aprilynne Pike
Info:HarperTeen (2009), Edition: 1st, Hardcover, 294 pages

Wings by Aprilynne Pike

English (128)  French (1)  Dutch (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (131)
On my weblog here.

(I took care to give no obvious spoilers about the story, but there are some minor ones in the "Short summary" paragraph)

Title: Wings - A new kind of faerie tale (on Librarything, on Goodreads, on Hebban.nl)
Author: Aprilynne Pike
Language: English
Series: Wings #1
Format of publication: paperback
Number of pages: 360
Publisher: Harper Collins
Year published: original 2009, my edition 2009 (1st edition)
ISBN number: 9780007314362
Topics: faeries, plants
Reason for reading: Recommended by a friend.
Recommended: Yes!

Back cover text:
Laurel has always lived as an ordinary girl - but now something is happening to her. Something magical.

In this enchanting tale of magic, romance and danger, everything you thought you knew about faeries will be changed forever.

Comments on the back cover text:
There's not much about the story in the back cover text. If you want to know more about it, read the short summary below. Otherwise, just skip to the first paragraph and review sections (I won't mention any story-specific things there).

Short summary (slight spoilers in this paragraph, though only broad outlines of the more important events):
Laurel has just moved to the city with her parents, because her father has become the owner of a bookshop. At her new school, she meets a nice boy, David, who helps her feel more at home. However, soon something weird happens: a flower starts to grow on her back. David helps her to find out what's happening. Meanwhile, Laurel's parents try to sell their old house. When they return to prepare their old house for the sale, Laurel walks into the forest behind their house. There, she meets a fearie, Tamani, who says he can explain the blossom on her back. However, he doesn't explain everything.
Later, Laurel's father falls seriously ill and even in the hospital they cannot help him. However, when the person who wants to buy their old house visits Laurel's mother in the hospital, her mother acts weirdly and signs forms without reading them. When Laurel and David try to discover what's going on, they find out something for which they require Tamani's help...

First paragraph:
Laurel's shoes flipped a cheerful rhythm that defied her dark mood. As she walked through the halls of Del Norte High, people watched her pass with curious eyes.
After double-checking her schedule, Laurel found the biology lab and hurried to claim a seat by the windows. If she had to be indoors, she wanted to at least see outside. The rest of the class filled in slowly. One boy smiled in her direction as he walked to the front of the classroom and she tried to muster one up in return. She hoped he didn't think it was a grimace.

Comments on the first paragraph:
It starts in a fairly standard way - a girl arrives at a new school and meets a boy... But the story soon gets more interesting and very much non-standard!

Review:
Story:
The story is very enjoyable to read, full of suspense and interesting characters. All the characters had good reasons to act the way they did and they were (almost) all likeable. For everyone it's quite clear whether they belong to the good or bad guys, but I didn't think that was much of a problem (it fits with the story). As a reader, you know as much as Laurel does, as the story follows her all the time.
Weird things happen to Laurel, but discovering what's happening and what those things are, happen in a logical way - not too fast and including a scientific explanation! I always like it when magical things in a story are explained (that there's not "just magic"). Of course not everything is explained, but the most important thing is explained. Laurel and the other characters also react in a way you'd expect and can relate to. No sudden superhuman powers or anything. It made the story more realistic, even though the topic (faeries) certainly isn't!

The faerie concept in this book is also quite original (at least, I've never read about these kind of faeries before). It's not like the standard "humans with wings". This is actually something I'd have expected on the cover image, but I'm glad the publisher chose to only put a flower image on the cover!

This book is the first in a series, but it has a conclusive ending for this story. There are some open paths for follow-up stories, but it's complete enough for a stand-alone book.

Writing style:
The writing style isn't too difficult (though as it's a book aimed at young adults, I didn't expect the language to be very difficult). The sentences aren't noticably short (which was the case in the Charmed book I recently read), but they aren't too long either.
Most descriptions are of the characters' actions and dialogs, but the surroundings are described enough to be able to make a nice mental picture of them.

Conclusion:
Very enjoyable book on faeries! Even though it's readable as a stand-alone book, I would very much like to read the next book in the series. There was one thing I wondered about - Avalon is in both the US and the UK? It sounds like a separate world with exits/entrances on both continents. Maybe that's something that will be explained in one of the next books!

Rereadability:
Yes! Certainly a book to re-read.

Similar books / recommendations:
- The beginning reminded me a bit of Fallen by Lauren Kate, because Luce also arrives at a new school and meets a boy. However, "Wings" quickly goes into another direction (and I liked "Wings" more...).

Links:
- This review on Goodreads.
  mene | Mar 29, 2018 |
Laurel is a not-so-normal teenage girl struggling to have a normal teenage life. She’s the new girl at school, after being home-schooled by her somewhat hippie parents. She’s trying to make friends, even though she’s painfully shy. She loves the outdoors. She doesn’t eat any meat, barely any vegetables; she mainly subsists on clear soda and fruit. Strangest of all is that new, painful, huge pimple on the center of her back? That is her flower; with huge petals that look like wings on her back.

When Laurel was three, she was left on her parent’s doorstep in a basket, with no note and no knowledge of where she came from. Now that her parents have moved and are trying to sell their old estate and Laurel’s life is changing to drastically, her past and her present meet in a sudden and distressing way. It turns out Laurel isn’t human at all. She’s a faerie.

Why was she sent away from home to live with her human parents? What is her position in this new world she didn’t know existed? And is there any place for her in the home she has come to love and cherish? And what does Avalon have to do with all of this? Laurel has a lot to figure out, and fast, before both of her cherished worlds are irrevocably changed forever.

You know, I didn’t know what to expect of this book when I first saw it. The leaves/wings on the cover don’t really give you much to go on. I hadn’t heard anything about it. I just saw the book at a yard sale and snatched it up. Once I started reading though, it was difficult to put down and I read it in like – two days – I think. The characters are what really make this book. You can’t help but love Laurel. She’s one of those seemingly fragile girls who you immediately want to protect, but really have a fine, steely interior that can stand up to anything. I had my problems with her of course. She could be a little dense and sometimes missed the obvious. But she is sweet and likeable. David, the boy Laurel meets at school, and who takes an immediate liking to her, is a little too good to be true, but I liked him well enough. Now, Tamani, the male faerie of the story, on the other hand, he’s the hottie of the book and the guy I’m (of course) rooting for. Because you know, like most other faerie tale books of this genre; this is part of a trilogy.

Wings is a great, light, summer read, perfect for beach, pool, or backyard in the sun reading.
  capriciousreader | Mar 20, 2018 |
Want to know if the whole series is worth reading? Read my overall review of the whole series at seriesousbookreviews.com! Spoiler Free!

This is one of those books that has a great concept but the execution just didn't do it for me.

I loved the faerie world! It was a great blend of caste systems and magic and always had my full attention.

The problem was the high drama and the characters.

I get why there was the high school drama--they are in high school after all--I just found that it shed a petty light on the characters which caused me to be annoyed by them. It made them seem immature (of course they are! they are high school students!) and angsty. So I never connected to Laurel as a character because I found her to be irritating. It also doesn't help that she has a love triangle and it's emphasized to the max.

Full Review: http://wp.me/p3txrs-bv
  seriesousbooks | Feb 7, 2018 |
In a new twist on faeries, the Wings series describes faeries that are, in fact, plants. Love triangles are always a bit sad, because they are always between two good characters. Both David and Tamani are really great guys- guys you'd want Laurel to be with, so one will always be on the outside and sad. There's also the complications of Laurel suddenly being thrust into a more human life at the same time as she's forcibly reminded she's a faery. I liked the way this story resolved and the way it continued in the next three books. ( )
  the1butterfly | Aug 29, 2017 |
Wings di Aprilynne Pike è stato uno dei primi libri, in Italia, ad aprire la nuova Era delle "Fate". Dopo il VampBoom e gli Angeli&Demoni, ora sono arrivate la Fate nelle nostre librerie e, per quanto possibile, è di per sé un argomento abbastanza nuovo da coinvolgere e incuriosire il lettore a priori. O quantomeno un lettore proveniente dalle gotiche tinte della vamp mania vecchio stile, lasciamo da parte il roseo fenomeno Twilight per un po'.

Wings è un romanzo per giovani adulti - Young Adult - fresco, senza troppe pretese ma abbastanza originale da coinvolgere il lettore pagina dopo pagina senza però sfruttare la tensione emotiva derivante da una scelta difficile, dall'attesa di un evento o qualunque altro espediente in genere sfruttato in questi casi. In questo caso l'autrice è stata in grado di catturare l'attenzione del pubblico femminile con uno stile calmo, dolce e molto evocativo; sembra quasi di star leggendo una favola.

L'inizio può apparire quasi scontato con questa bellissima, biondissima e magrissima ragazza. Lei, eterea e perfetta, non ha bisogno neppure di lavarsi i capelli, è semplicemente perfetta nel suo mangiare solo frutta e verdura. Tante piccole manie che la rendono speciale? Strana? Anormale? Finta? Una MerySue? Non lo sappiamo però non è "odio a prima riga" come spesso accade, la tolleriamo e sentiamo che c'è dell'altro.

L'amico, David, l'ama. E' palese perfino per noi che l'abbiamo appena conosciuti ma oltre a questo non andiamo, ci aspettiamo semplicemente il solito triangolo amoroso con tutte le tragedie greche che ne conseguono. Il triangolo ci sarà, in un certo senso, ma nessuna tragedia in vista. Strano, vero, ma anche in questo caso l'autrice predilige sensazioni positive, calme e posate a quelle travolgenti della gelosia e della rabbia che in genere vengono esaltate in questi casi.

Come avevamo intuito Laurel è molto più di quel che sembra: le spuntano un paio d'ali che ali non sembrano e che non la fanno volare. La ragazza non capisce, si spaventa e chiede aiuto al suo amico David. Alla fine non sembrano esserci dubbi, è una fata. Non è alta 50 cm e non svolazza qua e la con un tutù rosa ma è innegabilmente una fata ed è proprio questa sua natura, manifestatasi concretamente solamente dopo il suo compleanno, che riesce a spiegare tante stranezze del suo passato.

I personaggi, tutti senza eccezioni, sono ben costruiti e resi al meglio grazie, forse, da una traduzione per una volta all'altezza della situazione. Laurel è ben resa con quella sua aria delicata e flessibile, come un fiore; Tatami fiero e un po' guardingo e David dolce, simpatico ma coraggioso forte del suo sapere.

Bello nella sua semplicità, delicatezza e dolcezza. Una lettura che ti prende e ti porta con tranquillità verso un finale che attendi ma non agogni, un romanzo che rilassa e ti culla in un ambientazione familiare che ti permette di assaporare la trama senza dover tenere a mente nomi impossibili, città sperdute, montagne e cattivi invisibili.

Forse un po' tropo fanciullesco ma se non altro lontano dal solito bello impossibile che finisce per innamorarsi della solita umana imbranata. Unico neo negativo? Troppo tempo fra un libro e l'altro della serie, si perde la magia anche se, come già detto, la semplicità di nomi e città permette di rievocare immediatamente alla mente a grandi linee il romanzo prima di poter leggere il successivo.
  Nasreen44 | Jun 8, 2017 |
The book has a nice mix of danger and romance, the world of magic and the world of high school, with well-developed characters and a quick-moving plot.
added by Katya0133 | editSchool Library Journal, Connie Tyrrell Burns (Jul 1, 2009)

Pike's novel mythology should win fans for this book, billed as the first in a series.
added by Katya0133 | editPublishers Weekly (May 11, 2009)

Woe unto readers with facial or bodily asymmetry, but the overwritten passages pass quickly and the rest is delicious escapism.
added by Katya0133 | editKirkus Reviews (Apr 15, 2009)

Fine escapist fare, this neatly mixes the everyday with the otherworldly.
added by Katya0133 | editBooklist, Ilene Cooper (Feb 15, 2009)

Aprilynne Pikeprimary authorall editionscalculated
Siegfried, MandyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Kenny- the method behind my madness
Laurel's shoes flipped a cheerful rhythm that defied her dark mood.

(From the back cover)

Laurel was mesmerized, staring at the pale things with wide eyes. They were terrifyingly beautiful- too beautiful for words. Laurel turned to the mirror again, her eyes on the hovering petals that floated beside her head. They looked almost like wings. In this extraordinary tale of magic and intrigue, romance and danger, everything you thought you knew about faeries will be changed forever.

When a plant blooms out of fifteen-year-old Laurel's back, it leads her to discover the fact that she is a faerie and that she has a crucial role to play in keeping the world safe from the encroaching enemy trolls.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,834,709 books! | Top bar: Always visible