Postcards from Tomorrow Square: Reports from…

Postcards from Tomorrow Square: Reports from China (Vintage)

by James Fallows

2000s (1) 2009 (1) 2010 (1) 21st century (1) Asian (2) BPL (1) business (1) China (34) culture (1) current events (3) economics (7) environment (1) essays (6) history (6) international (1) journalism (2) Kindle (3) media (1) men (1) my library (1) non-fiction (14) politics (5) Shanghai (1) society (1) to-read (3) unowned (1) USA (2) wishlist (1) xxi (1) z (1)

This book was a collection of essays about modern China that had been previously published in The Atlantic. I don't read The Atlantic so they were all new to me and very interesting. Just to give you an idea of the range of ideas discussed, I think my favorite essay was about the Chinese version of The Apprentice, where instead of competing for a job with Donald Trump (or a similar Chinese figure) the contestants are trying to get seed money to start their own company. The judges are real (and high profile) investors who are providing the prize money, and will have a real share in the winner's business. I was also interested in the section on the Great Firewall of China, especially after reading about it in [Who Controls The Internet?]. Unlike the authors of [Who Controls The Internet?], who insist that China is current proof that it is possible to regionally control the internet, Fallows explains that actually, getting around the Great Firewall is pretty easy and not even all that expensive. The trick of the Chinese government is to make getting through the firewall just troublesome enough that people won't bother with it. The essays were fascinating, and I recommend the book. ( )
2 vote legxleg | Aug 1, 2009 |
Excellent series of essays from James Fallows. He originally published them in The Atlantic Monthly. He covers a wide range of topics about China - monetary ties with the U.S., cultural changes in the past 20 years, preparing for the Olympics, among others. Very interesting and informative. ( )
1 vote Beth350 | Feb 2, 2009 |
For Deb
Introduction: The chapters in this book were written between the summers of 2006 and 2008, when my wife and I were living first in Shanghai and then Beijing and were traveling through many other parts of China.
First essay: Twenty years ago, my wife and I moved with our two young sons to Tokyo.

The author of the highly acclaimed "Blind Into Baghdad" reports firsthand on the momentous changes taking place in China and what it means for America.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,336,649 books! | Top bar: Always visible