Spinky Sulks by William Steig

Spinky Sulks (edition 2011)

by William Steig (Author), William Steig (Illustrator)

Member:storytimestandouts
Title:Spinky Sulks
Authors:William Steig (Author)
Other authors:William Steig (Illustrator)
Info:Square Fish (2011), 32 pages

Spinky Sulks by William Steig

I've got seven children, and even my "biggies" come and sit down to listen when this one comes out. William Steig is the perfect children's author because he remembers exactly what it feels like to be out of sorts, know you're wrong, too proud to back down - and he takes that and makes it perfectly ridiculous... Spinky's family is a collection of saints, and if we say, oh so sweetly and gently "Spinkalink..." our children know exactly what we mean, and usually can't help but grin... ( )
  mamazee | Apr 23, 2011 |
I love a private sulk, but this book is about a very public one. One of my favorite read-a-loud books from my daughter's childhood. ( )
  altesschwein | Jan 4, 2010 |
FROM LIBRARY CATALOG:
Convinced that the world is against him and that his family doesn't love him, Spinky spends his days sulking and nothing his family does to cheer him seems to help.
  UWC_PYP | Jun 11, 2006 |

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0374469903, Paperback)

What happens when you feel angry and hurt by your family's stinging words that you tear right out the front door? In many classic children's stories, the protagonist just keeps on running--setting off on a thrilling, dangerous adventure that turns out to be a cautionary tale about the risks of the great big world and a reinforcement that the only safe place to be is back home with family.

In William Steig's terrific Spinky Sulks, the young fireplug-shaped, spiky-haired hero does not run away and learn his lesson. Instead, he hits the grass outside his home and collapses into the world's longest, most impermeable funk. Completely mute and physically unresponsive--his arm hangs "like a noodle" when his mother reaches for it--Spinky practically turns into an inanimate object. As the days go by, his older siblings "kept finding him in weird places" where they'd "try to pry a word out of him, or they'd just pass him by." In time, Spinky becomes so adept at his catatonia as to be able to completely ignore a parade marching by in the street.

Spinky Sulks is a highly resonant, realistic picture of childhood feelings. And yes, Spinky does come inside and talk to everyone in the end--in his own time and in his own way, because he's ready. --Jean Lenihan

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:13 -0400)

Convinced that the world is against him and that his family does not love him, Spinky spends his days sulking and nothing his family does to cheer him up seems to help.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,023,808 books! | Top bar: Always visible