Lover Avenged by J.R. Ward

Lover Avenged

by J.R. Ward

Series: Black Dagger Brotherhood (7)

English (63)  Spanish (1)  All languages (64)
I am finally getting over all of the ridiculous names and spellings in this series! I'm not sure if that is a good or bad thing...

I've liked the character of Rehvenge ever since he was introduced as Bella's super protective older brother. I've only grown to like him more as he was slowly fleshed out in the series, so I was excited to read his and Ehlena's story.

Ward's style of writing took a major turn after the first five books; instead of focusing mainly on the couple, she's been including multiple story lines in the book. This leaves the romance taking a backseat much of the time, and this book was no different in that regard. Ehlena and Rehvenge's relationship doesn't have much time in the spotlight, but when it does, it is done well. I like Ehlena; she may come off as a weaker female, but she eventually proves her strength. And, like I mentioned above, I really like Rehvenge, and I thought that Ehlena was a good fit for him.

The story line featuring Lash and the Lessers was the worst, in my opinion. It basically circled around Lash trying to find a way for the Lessening Society to make money by taking out drug dealers and assuming their place in Caldwell. I got rather sick of this story line early, and I found myself skimming those parts in the book.

I was also less than enthralled with the story line of Wrath going blind. Wrath has never been a favorite character of mine - I barely made it through Dark Lover and that book remains my least favorite in the series - and I skimmed most of his parts, as well.

But I like the messed up relationship between John Matthew and Xhex, and I'm so looking forward to reading their story - in fact, as soon as I'm finished with my review, I am going to pick that book up and start reading! :) I do like that John Matthew is starting to grow up, which has taken him quite a while, considering how much crap he has gone through in the series so far.

I was surprised that Bella (and, therefore, Z) didn't have more of a role in this book, considering that Rehvenge is her brother, and he has put a lot of effort into deceiving her for all of her life. I would have liked a better scene between them at the end, wrapping up the loose ends.

Still, the ending wasn't bad, and I liked how Rehvenge and Ehlena ended. ( )
  schatzi | Sep 11, 2014 |
After Phury's story I thought this one had much more action but still plenty of angst to go around. I really liked Ehlena and I thought she had a pretty good storyline. The one thing that didn't make me give this book a five star review was the kind fo interaction Ehlena and Rehv had, I think the whole thing was a little bit rushed despite the book being quite long, just think their relationship could've used some more polishing. Great ending though! ( )
  msralways | Aug 19, 2014 |
Love this one, I was worried after a few get me as excited as Wraths story but this one has renewed my faith the the BDB ( )
  Hbeck | Aug 19, 2014 |
Wow, this book, the seventh in the Black Dagger Brotherhood series, displays a marked improvement in storytelling. As an added bonus, we even get to spend a few pages with characters that have seen little to no action since the book where they were the main character! Turns out Mary IS still around!

Focusing on Rehvenge, the vampire/sympath owner of the nightclub ZeroSum, this book gives us a better taste of what it is to be a sympath. As this story also contains significant storylines for Wrath and John Matthew, it does a good job of moving the greater plot arc forward.

It took me a while to read, almost twice as long as the previous books, but it was worth the effort.
  drhapgood | Jul 27, 2014 |
Almost from the moment he was introduced in the series, I have wanted to learn more about the half-sympath Rehvenge. He is Bella's (Zsadist's mate, from book 3) brother and now the leader of the glymera, the vampire aristocracy. The knowledge that he is half-sympath is a closely guarded secret, even from his own flesh and blood, but the price of silence is extremely high.

Rehvenge is a complicated and fascinating character, making Lover Avenged a wonderful addition to the series. Along with his story, J.R. Ward continues to combine drama with other characters and tension about the war with the Lessening Society into Lover Avenged, creating depth and a taut, suspenseful story. I noticed that the next book, Lover Mine, will be released in paperback this week, and I will definitely be picking it up to continue the series. ( )
  susanbevans | Jul 1, 2014 |

J.R. Wardprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Frangione, JimReadermain authorsome editionsconfirmed
All kings are blind.

The good ones see this and use more than their eyes to lead.
Dedicated to You:

Good and bad have never been more relative terms than when applied to the likes of you. But I agree with her. To me, you have always been a hero.
"The king must die."

Rehvenge, a "symphath" vampire, harbors a deadly secret that could make him a huge liability in the Brotherhood's war against the lessers. As plots within and outside of the Brotherhood threaten to reveal the truth about Rehvenge, he turns to the only source of light in his darkening world, Ehlena, a vampire untouched by the corruption that has its hold on him.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,819,850 books! | Top bar: Always visible