From Far Away, Volume 2 (From Far Away)

From Far Away, Volume 2 (From Far Away) (original 1993; edition 2005)

Member:Jenson_AKA_DL
Title:From Far Away, Volume 2 (From Far Away)
Authors:
Info:VIZ Media LLC (2005), Paperback, 184 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:****1/2
Tags:manga, fantasy, romance, trade

From Far Away, Volume 2 by Kyoko Hikawa (1993)

This manga has lovely artwork and an interesting plot. I particularly like how Noriko cannot speak the language when she first arrives in the new world - so many books and movies don't seem to acknowledge this detail. This volume is very entertaining and full of laugh out loud moments. I highly recommend it. ( )
  seldombites | Oct 21, 2013 |
It follows the story from the first volume. Noriko is still with Izark the are still fighting a language barrier as well as thieves. Izark has yet to explain to Noriko that she is the awakening. The one person who sve them all. ( )
  SparklePonies | Apr 22, 2013 |
Picking up right where the first volume of Kyoko Hikawa's fourteen-volume manga series From Far Away left off, this second entry in the romantic fantasy saga sees Japanese schoolgirl Noriko, stranded in an alien world in which her coming has been foretold, and wandering warrior Izark, with secret reasons of his own to dread Noriko's coming, temporarily trading places. As Izark, depleted by a mysterious recurring malady, becomes desperately ill, Noriko rushes to help him, fetching a doctor in spite of her ignorance of the local language and customs. The bond between the two grows stronger, despite Izark's internal doubts as to the wisdom of protecting "The Awakening" when he should want her dead, and when the thieves that he bested in the first installment return, he is recovered enough to defeat them, with a little help from Noriko. Former Rienkan mercenary Keimos, in Calco town as well, is another matter however, especially when his erstwhile boss, Lord Rachef of Rienka, takes a hand in the combat...

I enjoyed this second installment of the series just as much as the first - more, probably, because I started it eager to know what would happen next. I liked the way the characters were developed here. We learn a little bit more about Izark: the flashback to his youth, when his own mother abandoned him, after revealing that she only bore him because she was paid to do so, went some way toward explaining his isolation, although the exact nature of his superhuman/inhuman curse is not revealed. Noriko, although still a little silly - she is a teenager, after all! - continues to improve, showing that she can be strong, when needs must. I liked the way she stuck up for Izark, when she thought the doctor and mayor were bullying him, even though it turned out not to be necessary, and the scene in which she manages to carry the wounded Izark to safety was quite a surprise. The relationship between the two feels more reciprocal here, with each lending a hand, when the other needs it (although Noriko certainly needs it more, there is no denying). All in all, a solid follow-up to the first, one which left me wanting to know more! Time for the third installment, I think... ( )
  AbigailAdams26 | Apr 21, 2013 |
I was expecting things to maybe slow down a little and we step back and really get to see this world poor Noriko has gotten plunked down into but unfortunately for the characters, and fortunately for us, the adventure picks up. Izark is struck by a strange, sudden illness and Noriko finds herself floundering in her attempts to help him because of the language barrier in place. She is forced to mime her intentions and more often than not she misinterprets what is being said around her and reacts inappropriately.

But that isn’t the biggest problem they face, because now that Izark is considered out of commission the robbers we met in the previous volume decide now would be a great time to strike and attempt to kill Izark before he can kill them. What follows is frankly stunning, and I won’t spoil it but it shows some fantastic character reveal for Izark and some real character growth for Noriko. The scared little girl from Japan, actually proves she can do and be more than just a helpless, hapless female in constant need of saving. Her actions are purely defensive and show quick thinking and a lot of nerve. I have high hopes for Noriko as the series progresses.

My only negative points were the same ones I have with a lot of manga and that is occasionally there is too much telling and not enough showing. A man who had been badly hurt in the previous volume gets hurt again and cries out that, “My wounds have reopened!” Another time characters fix tea and one character explains to the other as they are making it that it’s so they can stay up late almost as if he is more speaking to the audience and not the other character. I’m never sure if that is the author putting that in or bad translation or what. Another problem I had was the author put several autobiographical comments in panels throughout this volume. It was disconcerting and kept pulling me out of the story. I love reading author’s notes at the beginning or short fun comics at the end that talk about the author personally or their process, but I have no interest in having injected in the middle of a fight scene that the author likes Jackie Chan movies. It also made me take a moment when we got back story on Noriko to realize what was going on because it was in the same tone as the autobiographical comments before. I almost skipped over the back story thinking it was more author trivia and not character history germane to the plot.

I hate to sound so negative about a series I am really starting to enjoy! The mystery around Izark deepens, Noriko is learning how to stand up for herself, and the fantasy elements and possibilities of the world continue to grow. I’m looking forward to seeing what happens to these teens next. ( )
  exlibrisbitsy | Jan 5, 2012 |
This volume picks up where the first left off. Noriko is concerned about Izark's sudden sickness and tries to find someone to help. Unfortunately those that would attack him soon learn of his weakness. I'm really enjoying this easy to follow fantasy series about a young warrior driven to protect a girl from another world despite his best intentions. This will certainly be a manga series I want to include in my collection. ( )
  Jenson_AKA_DL | Oct 8, 2007 |
Information from the Japanese Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to the English one.

Noriko and Izark are on the run from those who want "the awakening" that they believe Noritko to be. Weakened from a recent battle, Izark has become dependant on Noriko to nurse him back to health. Meanwhile, Noriko is trying to learn the native tongue so she can converse with her strange friend.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,824,204 books! | Top bar: Always visible