Number9Dream by David Mitchell

Number9Dream (2001)

by David Mitchell

1Q84 by Haruki Murakami (PghDragonMan)
    PghDragonMan: Is it real? Or is it imagined?
    Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell (PghDragonMan)
    Kafka on the Shore by Haruki Murakami (spammie1, Anonymous user)
    After Dark by Haruki Murakami (isigfethera)
    isigfethera: Both are slightly surreal coming-of-age-ish stories set in Tokyo, with a similar style.

English (60)  Dutch (2)  All languages (62)
I love you, David Mitchell. To me you're like Haruki Murakami, only better. I definitely saw similarities with this and "Kafka on the Shore", though this one is a lot less mystical. I loved most of the characters, and the stories-within-stories (Mitchell's specialty). The only thing I couldn't grasp was the over-the-top Yakuza violence. I suppose he is trying to jar you, but it's not really clear to me why it's there. ( )
  xiaomarlo | Apr 17, 2019 |
It's not quite Murakami but it get's pretty close - the part when he mentions the Wind-up Bird killed me

Also, the ending is particular spectacular for this book ( )
  Lorem | May 11, 2018 |
Another book I'm not rating because I never finished it. It got increasingly violent, until there was a scene so disturbing to me that I just stopped reading right then. Ordinarily I love David Mitchell - oh well.
  meredk | Mar 23, 2018 |
Oh man, where do I start with this one? I'm not even sure. Which I think is why it has taken me over a week to write this review. Although not my favorite, this is another great one by Mitchell. Beautiful prose. The overall story is sad, intense, funny. I want to learn more about the significance of the number "9" symbolism throughout the book. It's hard to find discussions on. I think there may have been more symbolism in the book than I even picked up on. But great character development for both the main and side characters. You love or hate them, they make you laugh, smile or root for them. ( )
  ctkjs | Jan 3, 2018 |
Meandering, erratic, and punch-drunk with narrative experimentation, number9dream feels like it's always trying to establish its footing. Then again, all those missteps are beautifully written in perceptive and delicate detail. Recommended: on balance. ( )
  rabbit.blackberry | Oct 19, 2017 |

David Mitchellprimary authorall editionscalculated
Mijn, Aad van derTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
'It is so much simpler to bury reality than it is to dispose of dreams.'
- Don Delillo, Americana
For Keiko
It is a simple matter. I know your name, and you know mine, once upon a time: Eiji Miyake.
Dreams are the shores where the ocean of spirit meets the land of matter. Dreams are beaches where the yet-to-be, the once-were, the will-never-be may walk awhile with the still-are.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0812966929, Paperback)

David Mitchell's second novel, Number9Dream, tells the story of Eiji Miyake, a young man negotiating a hypermodern and dangerous Tokyo to meet for the first time his secretive and powerful father. Naïve and fresh from the Japanese countryside, Eiji encounters every obstacle imaginable in his quest, from his father's--and in-laws'--reluctance for the encounter to occur (Eiji is the bastard son) to fiery entanglements with yakuza (the Japanese mafia) to the overwhelming size and anonymity of Tokyo itself.

The novel is cartoonish in that Eiji has a vivid and violent imagination that fills the book with daydreams. When not chain-smoking, forlorn Eiji wanders the city following vague or cryptic leads that invariably dead-end or land him back among yakuza. Mitchell (author of the critically acclaimed Ghostwritten) has a smart, eclectic writing style that seems foreign, and the novel is well paced, but the yakuza encounters are too cinematic, complete with unusual torture and pyrotechnics. Moreover, in addition to Eiji's daydreams, the last half of the book contains excerpts from the diaries of his great uncle's World War II naval heroics and bizarre short stories that Eiji reads while hiding--the latter of which make for tedious reading.

Number9Dream is crafted from too many disparate components; it does not seem to be a full expression, but an overly crowded one. Readers will sympathize with Eiji and his search, but in the end will wonder what effect, if any, all the extraneous forces had on him. The book provides many fun moments, but ultimately it doesn't really add up to the sum of its parts. --Michael Ferch

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:18 -0400)

A Booker Prize finalist, this is the story of a young innocent's exhilarating misadventures in Tokyo while searching for the father he never knew.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,179,546 books! | Top bar: Always visible