Number9Dream by David Mitchell

Number9Dream (2001)

by David Mitchell

Recently added byRachelLeah, kitzyl, markfergusonuk, mgd014, elle-kay, aktgw, joshanastasia, Bokayokay, private library, trwm
    1Q84 by Haruki Murakami (PghDragonMan)
    PghDragonMan: Is it real? Or is it imagined?
    Cloud Atlas: A Novel by David Mitchell (PghDragonMan)
    Kafka on the Shore by Haruki Murakami (spammie1)
    After Dark by Haruki Murakami (isigfethera)
    isigfethera: Both are slightly surreal coming-of-age-ish stories set in Tokyo, with a similar style.

English (54)  Dutch (1)  English (55)
I liked it much better than Cloud Atlas. Also really enjoyed his word magic chapters about goatwriter - this guy can really turn prose into a sort of poetry. ( )
  avalinah | Sep 11, 2016 |
Enjoyable read. I had to look at the flap again a few times though. Just to make sure i wasn't reading a Murakami novel. ( )
  freetrader | Feb 19, 2016 |
Man oh man. This book started a little slow -- it's about the dream world, to an extent, and begins there, which lends it an early hallucinatory tone. Not exactly ideal bedtime reading, especially as it's very slippery for someone to get ahold of as they're listening to you read it in a sort of fever-haze.
But once it gets going I had to pinch myself, repeatedly (and metaphorically, don't worry, I'm not a scabby, mottled mess because of this book), and check that this wasn't a Murakami novel.
It's a beautifully done, wild romp through Tokyo and its underbelly. It puts David Mitchell's "Slade House, which I enjoyed, in a different light, though. The writing in this book was far more elevated, the story more finely wrought than Mitchell's latest book, and it hits you just how damn *good* he is. He writes the young Eiji Miyake convincingly, and the supernatural-ish rears its head only a little bit later in the book, hitting some familiar Mitchell obsessions that we've all come to know and love. ( )
  mhanlon | Feb 10, 2016 |
Plays around with the main character's development with interior dialogue getting mixed in together with the actual plot - like the character, the reader can sometimes wonder what is "real." Is this happening or is it only happening in the character's head? This is an illuminating device as employed by Mitchell, and jives with my own predilection for writing that makes us question the nature of reality. ( )
  dbsovereign | Jan 26, 2016 |

Number9Dream David Mitchell
5 stars

This is the story of 20 year old Eiji Miyake and his journey from a rural village in Japan to the sprawling metropolis of Tokyo in search of his unknown father.

Eiji has scant clues about his father, he knows he is a rich womaniser and that he is protected by a female lawyer the formidable Ms Kato.

When we meet Eiji he has just arrived in Tokyo and is planning how to get his fathers details from Ms Kato, from this point on dreams and reality blur seemlessly and seemingly random occurrences eventually come together.

This book reminded me of Haruki Murakami's stories and the passing allusion to The Wind Up Bird Chronicle made me smile.

I loved this book from the romantic angle, to the discovery of what makes a family and the weird dream sequences, I would however say I think it requires more than 1 reading, once to enjoy the sheer escapism of the novel and a second reading to connect the clues and coincidences you missed first time.

Now I will leave you with my favourite quote;

"A book you read is not the same book it was before you read it" ( )
  BookWormM | Jan 15, 2016 |

David Mitchellprimary authorall editionscalculated
Mijn, Aad van derTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
'It is so much simpler to bury reality than it is to dispose of dreams.'
- Don Delillo, Americana
For Keiko
It is a simple matter. I know your name, and you know mine, once upon a time: Eiji Miyake.
Dreams are the shores where the ocean of spirit meets the land of matter. Dreams are beaches where the yet-to-be, the once-were, the will-never-be may walk awhile with the still-are.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0812966929, Paperback)

David Mitchell's second novel, Number9Dream, tells the story of Eiji Miyake, a young man negotiating a hypermodern and dangerous Tokyo to meet for the first time his secretive and powerful father. Naïve and fresh from the Japanese countryside, Eiji encounters every obstacle imaginable in his quest, from his father's--and in-laws'--reluctance for the encounter to occur (Eiji is the bastard son) to fiery entanglements with yakuza (the Japanese mafia) to the overwhelming size and anonymity of Tokyo itself.

The novel is cartoonish in that Eiji has a vivid and violent imagination that fills the book with daydreams. When not chain-smoking, forlorn Eiji wanders the city following vague or cryptic leads that invariably dead-end or land him back among yakuza. Mitchell (author of the critically acclaimed Ghostwritten) has a smart, eclectic writing style that seems foreign, and the novel is well paced, but the yakuza encounters are too cinematic, complete with unusual torture and pyrotechnics. Moreover, in addition to Eiji's daydreams, the last half of the book contains excerpts from the diaries of his great uncle's World War II naval heroics and bizarre short stories that Eiji reads while hiding--the latter of which make for tedious reading.

Number9Dream is crafted from too many disparate components; it does not seem to be a full expression, but an overly crowded one. Readers will sympathize with Eiji and his search, but in the end will wonder what effect, if any, all the extraneous forces had on him. The book provides many fun moments, but ultimately it doesn't really add up to the sum of its parts. --Michael Ferch

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:18 -0400)

A Booker Prize finalist, this is the story of a young innocent's exhilarating misadventures in Tokyo while searching for the father he never knew.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,642,383 books! | Top bar: Always visible