In the Beginning: The Art of Genesis: A…

In the Beginning: The Art of Genesis: A Pop-Up Book (edition 2008)

by Chuck Fischer

Member:immaculatechaos
Title:In the Beginning: The Art of Genesis: A Pop-Up Book
Authors:Chuck Fischer
Info:Little, Brown and Company (2008), Edition: Pop, Hardcover, 12 pages
Tags:pop-up

In the Beginning: The Art of Genesis: A Pop-Up Book by Chuck Fischer

All the glory and pageantry of the high Middle Ages can be found in this amazing pop-up book meant to appeal to adults. Beautifully illustrated with tons of information hidden throughout, this pop-up book is sure to appeal to biblical history lovers as well as those who appreciate the art showcased within. My favorite pop up is the spread of the tower of Babel which rises more than a foot off the page, and there is a wonderful "stained glass" spread of Jacob's ladder as well. ( )
  JoClare | Feb 2, 2014 |
Chuck Fischer bought a 1960’s copy of The Golden Children’s Bible. That book and a trip to Rome inspired him (along with Bruce Foster and Curtis Flowers) to create another gorgeous pop-up book.

In The Beginning: The Art of Genesis is a stunning pop-up book for adults. You really cannot appreciate the beauty of this book without seeing it in person. This book tells several stories from the book of Genesis – the Garden of Eden, Noah’s Ark, the Tower of Babel, Jacob’s Ladder and Joseph in Egypt. The text gives a nice overview of each story and the beautiful artwork and breathtaking pop-ups bring the stories to life. One page even includes stained glass!

I was able to sit down and read the text in one short sitting, but the text is just a small part of the book. I find myself picking it up to look through it over and over again, and I pick a different page as my favorite each time that I do. In The Beginning is fantastic and I think it would make a great holiday gift. You do not need to believe in the Bible to enjoy this book. ( )
  bermudaonion | Dec 5, 2009 |
My mother loved this book and I thought it pretty great too. It is the story of Genesis (no begatting to talk about though). I liked the pop-ups and it was nice to see the old Bible stories come to life. ( )
  xorscape | Dec 14, 2008 |
When I first opened this gorgeous volume, I thought that it was a special book for an older child--someone who would understand how to treasure such a piece of art. However, upon closer inspection, I realize this is no children's book. This is for adults who can properly appreciate not only the artwork--which is breathtaking--but also value the art history included. For centuries, the book of Genesis has been told by artists through their work. Copies of those masterpieces are used to illustrate the text, giving the reader much more than they would expect from a pop-up book.

Details are amazing. The Tower of Babel measures 16" in height. Jacob's dream is like a stained glass window (inside a book!). Hold it up to the light for a breath-catching treat. There's a time line of Joseph's life.

More than a children's book, I can see this as a special gift for an art history enthusiast, a lover of the Bible, or as a coffee table volume. What a conversation piece! ( )
  smilingsally | Oct 26, 2008 |

An ingenious series of three-dimensional spreads with fold-outs and narrative booklets, IN THE BEGINNING shows how the timeless narratives of the Book of Genesis have inspired artists for thousands of years and continue to do so today.
This spectacular gift book features Fischer's original artwork on intricate pop-ups created in collaboration with paper engineer Bruce Foster, which represent the classic stories from the first chapter of the Bible. With spreads that range from a medieval-inspired Garden of Eden to an stunningly tall tower of Babel to a magnificent diorama depicting Jacob's dream of a stairway to Heaven, IN THE BEGINNING is destined to become a treasured keepsake and perennial favorite on every family's shelf.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:26:12 -0400)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,959,073 books! | Top bar: Always visible