Outlander by Diana Gabaldon

Outlander (1991)

by Diana Gabaldon

Series: Outlander (1)

17,465835155 (4.22)2 / 1097
Recently added byrena75, RachelDavenSkinner, JNeues, msoul13, EmelieBurl, JSWBooks, teresa_50, private library
    Into the Wilderness by Sara Donati (pollywannabook)
    pollywannabook: The closest thing to Outlander out there. Diana Gabaldon even lent out the character of Claire for a cameo in this book
    The Winter Sea by Susanna Kearsley (Iudita)
    Timeline by Michael Crichton (leahsimone)
    The River of No Return by Bee Ridgway (redheadedali)
    A Discovery of Witches by Deborah Harkness (Anonymous user, SunnySD)
    The House on the Strand by Daphne du Maurier (aynar)
    aynar: Much better example of time travel.
    The Bronze Horseman by Paullina Simons (littlebear514)
    littlebear514: Although the stories are COMPLETELY different; the writing is of the same quality and the stories are both deeply involved.
    Wildfire at Midnight by Mary Stewart (LiddyGally)
    LiddyGally: I recommend this book because the writing styles are in a similar vein rather than the stories being the same. Both, however, are set in the wilds of Scotland.
    Overseas by Beatriz Williams (becksdakex)
    becksdakex: Romance and time travel.
    Mary Queen of Scotland and the Isles by Margaret George (MissBrangwen)
    The Rose Garden by Susanna Kearsley (jennyj271)
    The Song of Albion Collection: The Paradise War, The Silver Hand, and The Endless Knot by Stephen Lawhead (charlie68)
    charlie68: A story about a trip farther into Britain's past.
    Son of the Morning by Linda Howard (amyblue)
    Ross Poldark by Winston Graham (Anonymous user)
    The Legend of Lady MacLaoch by Becky Banks (elbakerone)
    elbakerone: Though Banks' novel is set in present day (and is considerably shorter), the love story with the gorgeous backdrop of Scotland was reminiscent of Gabaldon's series.
    In a Wild Wood by Sasha Lord (Jenson_AKA_DL)
    Jenson_AKA_DL: If you enjoyed the romance between Clare and Jamie I think you'll also enjoy this Highlander romance.
    The Dark Queen by Susan Carroll (infiniteletters)
    Vrouwe van Llyn by Jane Watt (margarethmiwy)
    Midwife of the Blue Ridge by Christine Blevins (Joles)
    The Winter Rose by Jennifer Donnelly (fyrefly98)
    fyrefly98: Historical romance, hooray!

English (819)  German (7)  Dutch (6)  French (6)  Italian (3)  Portuguese (Portugal) (2)  Tagalog (1)  Swedish (1)  Finnish (1)  All languages (846)
It's Chick Lit. I really resent this type of blather being passed off as general fiction. ( )
  yhgail | Feb 20, 2019 |
I love Diana Gabaldon, the book is wonderful, a book you can´t leave until is finished and that leaves a wish for more.
The story of Claire, an english nurse of IIWW, who by strange circumstances appears in the XVIII Scotland.Romance, adventure, fantasy, history, all in one.
Beautifully described, not strange that because of Ms. Gabaldon`s novels the tourism to Scotland has grown.
Highly recommended ( )
  elicarra | Feb 10, 2019 |
Honestly? The only reason (looking back) why I didn't give this book five stars is because of Jamie's "I'm the man, I'm the boss, and if you cross me, I will beat you" thing. I may not be one of those "Women must have just as many rights as men, and I will march to protest unequal rights" people, but I do believe in equality, and that the woman has just as much a right to her mind as any man. Jamie seemed entertained by punishing Claire, and I really didn't like that.
His domineering attitude made me give this four instead of five stars. But I still loved this book! ( )
  kat_the_bookcat | Feb 7, 2019 |
Oh my GOODNESS I'm finally done reading this book. Praise the Lord! I picked up this book because everyone said it was great and they LOVED it. Boy was it a long book and graphic in the parts you really didn't want to be graphic. Don't get me wrong I like to read but I have real issue with Romance Novels esp the time period pieces where women are beaten (no matter if it was only 1 time) because of their own good. Give me a break. Women are not stupid. Women don't have to be hit to be made to understand. Ok! I realize that that is how they thought back in the day and I'm so fortunate to live in the here and now. So I will get off my soap box and review the book.
It was ok. nothing phenomenal about it (at least for me) It followed your basic romance novel layout. Woman enters, Man is there, he's the most beautiful and everyone wants him. Woman thinks she's not worthy of him or could never get his love. They marry for whatever reason, She falls in love with him but won't admit it. He loves her but she doesn't think he does. Stupid things happen, enter another woman who thinks she should be his wife. crazy crap happens He rescues her. She realizes he does love her. He sends her away for her own good, she runs back to him. Etc...
I made my sister tells me what happens in the rest of the series so I don't have to read them. ( )
  StarKnits | Feb 6, 2019 |
Basically a historical romance novel. Don't understand all the hype around this book. ( )
  rmarcin | Jan 22, 2019 |
I absolutely loved this book. It was filled with action, adventure, and romance. I flew through the book and can't wait to read the rest of the series.
added by alaphi | editalaphi (Apr 3, 2016)

Een jonge, Engelse vrouw loopt kort na de Tweede Wereldoorlog tijdens een wandeling in de Schotse Hooglanden door een gespleten monoliet die deel uitmaakt van een magische cirkel. Hierdoor komt ze terecht in het turbulente Schotland van 1743 en trouwt om aan een wisse dood te ontsnappen een vogelvrij verklaarde Sejot. Beiden worden opgejaagd door een sadistische kapitein van de Engelse dragonders, maar kunnen na tal van avonturen en in het besef dat de loop van de geschiedenis veranderd kan worden, een nieuw bestaan opbouwen. Een fascinerende historische roman, waarin de auteur liefde, seks, romantiek, spanning en avontuur tot een boeiend geheel heeft samengevoegd. Goede tekening van de historische achtergrond. Een meeslepend verhaal.
added by Liyanna | editBiblion

Kuby, GabrieleÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Porter, DavinaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Regös, FerencCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sallamo-Lavi, AnuirmeliTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
People disappear all the time. Ask any policeman. Better yet, ask a journalist. Disappearances are bread-and-butter to journalists.
Young girls run away from home. Young children stray from their parents and are never seen again. Housewives reach the end of their tether and take the grocery money and a taxi to the station. International financiers change their names and vanish into the smoke of imported cigars.
Many of the lost will be found, eventually, dead or alive. Disappearances, after all, have explanations.
Usually.
To the Memory of My Mother,
Who Taught Me to Read —
Jacqueline Sykes Gabaldon
It wasn't a very likely place for disappearances, at least at first glance.
Prologue ------ People disappear all the time.
'Outlander' was published in the UK as 'Cross Stitch'.

Traveling in time
Clare falls in love with Jamie
Must choose if she stays
(BekiLynn)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0385319959, Paperback)

In Outlander, a 600-page time-travel romance, strong-willed and sensual Claire Randall leads a double life with a husband in one century, and a lover in another. Torn between fidelity and desire, she struggles to understand the pure intent of her heart. But don't let the number of pages and the Scottish dialect scare you. It's one of the fastest reads you'll have in your library.

While on her second honeymoon in the British Isles, Claire touches a boulder that hurls her back in time to the forbidden Castle Leoch with the MacKenzie clan. Not understanding the forces that brought her there, she becomes ensnared in life-threatening situations with a Scots warrior named James Fraser. But it isn't all spies and drudgery that she must endure. For amid her new surroundings and the terrors she faces, she is lured into love and passion like she's never known before.

I was lame and sore in every muscle when I woke next morning. I shuffled to the privy closet, then to the wash basin. My innards felt like churned butter. It felt as though I had been beaten with a blunt object, I reflected, then thought that that was very near the truth. The blunt object in question was visible as I came back to bed, looking now relatively harmless. Its possessor [Jamie] woke as I sat next to him, and examined me with something that looked very much like male smugness."
Gabaldon creates characters that you'll remember, laugh with, cry with, and cheer for long after you've finished the book. --Candy Paape

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:45 -0400)

Hurtled back through time more than two hundred years to Scotland in 1743, Claire Randall finds herself caught in the midst of an unfamiliar world torn apart by violence, pestilence, and revolution and haunted by her growing feelings for James Fraser, a young soldier.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Diana Gabaldon's book Outlander was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

LibraryThing Member Giveaway

Diana Gabaldon's book Outlander was available from LibraryThing Member Giveaway.

Diana Gabaldon is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,358,332 books! | Top bar: Always visible