HomeGroupsTalkZeitgeist
Hide this

Results from Google Books

Click on a thumbnail to go to Google Books.

Outlander by Diana Gabaldon
Loading...

Outlander (1991)

by Diana Gabaldon

Other authors: See the other authors section.

Series: Outlander (1)

MembersReviewsPopularityAverage ratingConversations / Mentions
15,627764115 (4.24)2 / 1008
  1. 184
    Into the Wilderness by Sara Donati (pollywannabook)
    pollywannabook: The closest thing to Outlander out there. Diana Gabaldon even lent out the character of Claire for a cameo in this book
  2. 101
    The Winter Sea by Susanna Kearsley (Iudita)
  3. 72
    Timeline by Michael Crichton (leahsimone)
  4. 128
    A Discovery of Witches by Deborah Harkness (Anonymous user, SunnySD)
  5. 30
    Wildfire at Midnight by Mary Stewart (LiddyGally)
    LiddyGally: I recommend this book because the writing styles are in a similar vein rather than the stories being the same. Both, however, are set in the wilds of Scotland.
  6. 30
    The River of No Return by Bee Ridgway (redheadedali)
  7. 41
    The Bronze Horseman by Paullina Simons (littlebear514)
    littlebear514: Although the stories are COMPLETELY different; the writing is of the same quality and the stories are both deeply involved.
  8. 20
    Overseas by Beatriz Williams (becksdakex)
    becksdakex: Romance and time travel.
  9. 20
    The House on the Strand by Daphne du Maurier (aynar)
    aynar: Much better example of time travel.
  10. 10
    The Rose Garden by Susanna Kearsley (jennyj271)
  11. 10
    Son of the Morning by Linda Howard (amyblue)
  12. 00
    The Legend of Lady MacLaoch by Becky Banks (elbakerone)
    elbakerone: Though Banks' novel is set in present day (and is considerably shorter), the love story with the gorgeous backdrop of Scotland was reminiscent of Gabaldon's series.
  13. 00
    Mary Queen of Scotland and the Isles by Margaret George (MissBrangwen)
  14. 11
    Lady of Hay by Barbara Erskine (Yells)
  15. 00
    Vrouwe van Llyn by Jane Watt (margarethmiwy)
  16. 00
    Midwife of the Blue Ridge by Christine Blevins (Joles)
  17. 11
    In a Wild Wood by Sasha Lord (Jenson_AKA_DL)
    Jenson_AKA_DL: If you enjoyed the romance between Clare and Jamie I think you'll also enjoy this Highlander romance.
  18. 00
    The Dark Queen by Susan Carroll (infiniteletters)
  19. 11
    The Winter Rose by Jennifer Donnelly (fyrefly98)
    fyrefly98: Historical romance, hooray!
  20. 01
    Outlander Kitchen: The Official Outlander Companion Cookbook by Theresa Carle-Sanders (karensmiththomas)

(see all 25 recommendations)

Loading...

Sign up for LibraryThing to find out whether you'll like this book.

English (753)  Dutch (6)  German (6)  French (4)  Italian (3)  Tagalog (1)  All (1)  Finnish (1)  Swedish (1)  All (776)
Showing 1-5 of 753 (next | show all)
Loved it! Looking forward to reading the sequels! I rather like a man in a kilt... ( )
  TerryLewis | Jun 12, 2017 |
Che dire di questo fantastico libro?
Innanzitutto potrei iniziare con il dirvi che ho finito questo primo romanzo della serie Outlander in 2 giorni e, preciso, sono 800 pagine. Già questo, credo, dovrebbe fornire un chiaro messaggio su quanto ho trovato affasciante questo romanzo!

Possiamo dire che, l'idea di Clare (reduce dalla seconda guerra mondiale) che finisce dal 1945 al 1743 con il suo caratterino niente affatto tranquillo ma nonostante ciò riflessivo e concreto mi ha catturata totalmente!

E' un romanzo affascinante, ironico, sensuale e carismatico che non puoi fare a meno che ADORARE.

I personaggi sono tutti assolutamente "vivi", dal primo all'ultimo. Nessuno è messò là, tanto per fare e tutti, in un modo o nell'altro contribuiscono anche in minima parte a creare il capolavoro che è "La Straniera".

Clare è un donna emancipata, che ha dovuto "combattere" una guerra aiutando decine e decine di malati a vivere o, se necessario, a morire. Credo che la miglior espressione di questo personaggio si trovi proprio a pagina 24 :
- Tuo marito dovrebbe darti una bella lezione femmina - gli fece eco nel buio una voce austera da sotto un albero -Dice San Paolo 'Che una donna rimanga in silenzio e...'-
-E' meglio che ti fai i cazzi tuoi- ringhiai, con il sudore che mi colava sul viso - E anche San Paolo!-


No, dico, ma non è assolutamente FANTASTICA?

Le ambientazioni sono curate in modo quasi maniacale, nulla viene lasciato al caso e i personaggi sono perfettamente integrati nel loro mondo e alla loro epoca. Per quanto noi, donne del 2000, non possiamo comprendere molti comportamente apparentemente "maschilisti" ci ritroviamo, dopo aver letto le pagine della Gabaldon, quasi a comprendere il punto di vista questi uomini del 1700 che trattano le loro donne come oggetti di loro proprietà... O meglio, comprendiamo che, nonostante i molti errori, forse non le trattano realemente come "oggetti" come la nostra mente emancipata ci porta immediatamente a pensare.


Come non amare lo stile lievemente romanzato ed epico della Gabaldon che riesce a amalgamare in modo assolutamente perfetto ironia, passione, avventura e drammaticità?

Credo che sia impossibile non amare questo libro che, a mio avviso, potrebbe essere anche considerato un libro autoconclusivo per chi non volesse affrontare la lettura degli altri 10 libri. Io sicuramente li leggerò ma questa caratteristica è, secondo molti, ulteriormente un segno delle grandi capacità dell'autrice. ( )
  Nasreen44 | Jun 8, 2017 |
Wonderful book combining history, time travel, romance. On my re-read shelf. From BrookBrowse:
Claire Randall is leading a double life. She has a husband in one century, and a lover in another...

In 1945, Claire Randall, a former combat nurse, is back from the war and reunited with her husband on a second honeymoon--when she innocently touches a boulder in one of the ancient stone circles that dot the British Isles. Suddenly she is a Sassenach--an "outlander"--in a Scotland torn by war and raiding border clans in the year of our Lord...1743.

Hurled back in time by forces she cannot understand, Claire's destiny is soon inextricably intertwined with Clan MacKenzie and the forbidden Castle Leoch. She is catapulted without warning into the intrigues of lairds and spies that may threaten her life ...and shatter her heart. For here, James Fraser, a gallant young Scots warrior, shows her a passion so fierce and a love so absolute that Claire becomes a woman torn between fidelity and desire...and between two vastly different men in two irreconcilable lives. ( )
  melsbks | May 31, 2017 |
This book is strangely polarizing. People love it for the same reasons others hate it. I vacillated for a long time before picking this up, as traditional romance is not usually my genre of choice. I also read through many of the reviews, so I felt like I had a good idea of what I was getting myself into.

**Spoilers Below***

--------------------------------------------------​
There are largely 3 things that people take issue with- 1) the sex 2) the scene where Jamie beats Claire and 3) the rape of Jamie by Cptn. Jack Randall. My observations are as follows.

The sex- there is definitely a point in the book where it goes from none to pretty much constant. This is also the point at which I began to enjoy the book less. While not as graphic as a traditional bodice ripper, it is still not the kind of writing where it is alluded to rather than described. It's just described more tastefully, with somewhat fewer giggle inducing references, although there was still plenty for me to find eye-roll worthy.

The physical altercation- I think that a lot of the anger directed towards this portion of the book is due to a 21st century reader point of view, where we would define what happens as domestic abuse. However, i can also see that the author was writing this book about a character who is clearly NOT from the 21st century, and clearly would be subject to the rule of the land at that time. So while I understand the overall point that the author was trying to make, justice within the clan and all, I can also see this as a trigger for many people who have been victims of abuse, and as such feel it is worth pointing out BEFORE people read it so that they can decide if its something they are OK with being used as a plot device, or not.

The rape of Jamie by Cptn. Jack Randall- OK, full disclosure, I did not actually read this part of the book. Based on the graphic nature of the sex and numerous near rape's of Claire, I decided that it was time for me and Outlander to part ways. Honestly, once Claire and Jamie were married, I really lost interest in the characters and the plot, and just didn't care enough to finish the book.

So I would place my opinion of this book somewhere in the middle of the two extremes. I didn't hate it, in fact I really enjoyed the first third of the book, but I definitely didn't love it either. I do think that anyone interested in reading it should be aware of some of the more controversial themes, so they can choose based on their own reading preferences whether or not it is something they would enjoy. ( )
  lexxa83 | May 18, 2017 |
Verra splendid, indee'. ( )
  kbosso | May 2, 2017 |
Showing 1-5 of 753 (next | show all)
I absolutely loved this book. It was filled with action, adventure, and romance. I flew through the book and can't wait to read the rest of the series.
added by alaphi | editalaphi (Apr 3, 2016)
 
Een jonge, Engelse vrouw loopt kort na de Tweede Wereldoorlog tijdens een wandeling in de Schotse Hooglanden door een gespleten monoliet die deel uitmaakt van een magische cirkel. Hierdoor komt ze terecht in het turbulente Schotland van 1743 en trouwt om aan een wisse dood te ontsnappen een vogelvrij verklaarde Sejot. Beiden worden opgejaagd door een sadistische kapitein van de Engelse dragonders, maar kunnen na tal van avonturen en in het besef dat de loop van de geschiedenis veranderd kan worden, een nieuw bestaan opbouwen. Een fascinerende historische roman, waarin de auteur liefde, seks, romantiek, spanning en avontuur tot een boeiend geheel heeft samengevoegd. Goede tekening van de historische achtergrond. Een meeslepend verhaal.
added by Liyanna | editBiblion
 

» Add other authors (30 possible)

Author nameRoleType of authorWork?Status
Diana Gabaldonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Anastassatos, MariettaCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Carbain, JeanCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Craft, KinukoCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Fuchs, ElfriedeÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kuby, GabrieleÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Porter, DavinaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Regös, FerencCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sallamo-Lavi, AnuirmeliTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
You must log in to edit Common Knowledge data.
For more help see the Common Knowledge help page.
Series (with order)
Canonical title
Original title
Alternative titles
Original publication date
People/Characters
Important places
Important events
Related movies
Awards and honors
Epigraph
People disappear all the time. Ask any policeman. Better yet, ask a journalist. Disappearances are bread-and-butter to journalists.
Young girls run away from home. Young children stray from their parents and are never seen again. Housewives reach the end of their tether and take the grocery money and a taxi to the station. International financiers change their names and vanish into the smoke of imported cigars.
Many of the lost will be found, eventually, dead or alive. Disappearances, after all, have explanations.
Usually.
Dedication
To the Memory of My Mother,
Who Taught Me to Read —
Jacqueline Sykes Gabaldon
First words
It wasn't a very likely place for disappearances, at least at first glance.
Prologue ------ People disappear all the time.
Quotations
Last words
(Click to show. Warning: May contain spoilers.)
Disambiguation notice
'Outlander' was published in the UK as 'Cross Stitch'.
Publisher's editors
Information from the German Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to your language.
Blurbers
Publisher series
Information from the German Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to your language.
Original language
Information from the German Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to your language.

References to this work on external resources.

Wikipedia in English (1)

Book description
Haiku summary

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0385319959, Paperback)

In Outlander, a 600-page time-travel romance, strong-willed and sensual Claire Randall leads a double life with a husband in one century, and a lover in another. Torn between fidelity and desire, she struggles to understand the pure intent of her heart. But don't let the number of pages and the Scottish dialect scare you. It's one of the fastest reads you'll have in your library.

While on her second honeymoon in the British Isles, Claire touches a boulder that hurls her back in time to the forbidden Castle Leoch with the MacKenzie clan. Not understanding the forces that brought her there, she becomes ensnared in life-threatening situations with a Scots warrior named James Fraser. But it isn't all spies and drudgery that she must endure. For amid her new surroundings and the terrors she faces, she is lured into love and passion like she's never known before.

I was lame and sore in every muscle when I woke next morning. I shuffled to the privy closet, then to the wash basin. My innards felt like churned butter. It felt as though I had been beaten with a blunt object, I reflected, then thought that that was very near the truth. The blunt object in question was visible as I came back to bed, looking now relatively harmless. Its possessor [Jamie] woke as I sat next to him, and examined me with something that looked very much like male smugness."
Gabaldon creates characters that you'll remember, laugh with, cry with, and cheer for long after you've finished the book. --Candy Paape

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:45 -0400)

(see all 7 descriptions)

Hurtled back through time more than two hundred years to Scotland in 1743, Claire Randall finds herself caught in the midst of an unfamiliar world torn apart by violence, pestilence, and revolution and haunted by her growing feelings for James Fraser, a young soldier.… (more)

» see all 6 descriptions

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Diana Gabaldon's book Outlander was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

LibraryThing Member Giveaway

Diana Gabaldon's book Outlander was available from LibraryThing Member Giveaway.

LibraryThing Author

Diana Gabaldon is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

profile page | author page

Quick Links

Swap Ebooks Audio
7 avail.
1197 wanted
2 pay

Popular covers

Rating

Average: (4.24)
0.5 16
1 105
1.5 13
2 200
2.5 58
3 541
3.5 157
4 1173
4.5 216
5 2639

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

» Publisher information page

 

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,213,292 books! | Top bar: Always visible