Outlander by Diana Gabaldon

Outlander (1991)

by Diana Gabaldon

Series: Outlander (1)

14,907740131 (4.25)2 / 966
    Into the Wilderness by Sara Donati (pollywannabook)
    pollywannabook: The closest thing to Outlander out there. Diana Gabaldon even lent out the character of Claire for a cameo in this book
    The Winter Sea by Susanna Kearsley (Iudita)
    Timeline by Michael Crichton (leahsimone)
    A Discovery of Witches: A Novel by Deborah Harkness (Anonymous user, SunnySD)
    Wildfire at Midnight by Mary Stewart (LiddyGally)
    LiddyGally: I recommend this book because the writing styles are in a similar vein rather than the stories being the same. Both, however, are set in the wilds of Scotland.
    The River of No Return by Bee Ridgway (redheadedali)
    The Bronze Horseman by Paullina Simons (littlebear514)
    littlebear514: Although the stories are COMPLETELY different; the writing is of the same quality and the stories are both deeply involved.
    Overseas by Beatriz Williams (becksdakex)
    becksdakex: Romance and time travel.
    Son of the Morning by Linda Howard (amyblue)
    The House on the Strand by Daphne du Maurier (aynar)
    aynar: Much better example of time travel.
    The Rose Garden by Susanna Kearsley (jennyj271)
    Mary Queen of Scotland and the Isles by Margaret George (MissBrangwen)
    The Legend of Lady MacLaoch by Becky Banks (elbakerone)
    elbakerone: Though Banks' novel is set in present day (and is considerably shorter), the love story with the gorgeous backdrop of Scotland was reminiscent of Gabaldon's series.
    Lady of Hay by Barbara Erskine (Yells)
    Vrouwe van Llyn by Jane Watt (margarethmiwy)
    Midwife of the Blue Ridge by Christine Blevins (Joles)
    In a Wild Wood by Sasha Lord (Jenson_AKA_DL)
    Jenson_AKA_DL: If you enjoyed the romance between Clare and Jamie I think you'll also enjoy this Highlander romance.
    The Dark Queen by Susan Carroll (infiniteletters)
    The Winter Rose by Jennifer Donnelly (fyrefly98)
    fyrefly98: Historical romance, hooray!
    Outlander Kitchen: The Official Outlander Companion Cookbook by Theresa Carle-Sanders (karensmiththomas)

English (730)  German (6)  Dutch (6)  Italian (3)  French (3)  Tagalog (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Finnish (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (752)
It took me three tries to make it through this book, despite time travel being one of my favorite ideas to explore. This book does explore it, and in interesting ways, and I'm glad I came back to it as a book I had abandoned unfinished for my 2016 reading challenge. I'm not sure exactly why the book as a whole left me so cold, but I just never really connected with any of the characters. I can at least say I finished, but I won't be continuing on. ( )
  duchessjlh | Sep 30, 2016 |
A crack in time...

Simply breath taking... This is a journey that will leave you not only breathless, but yearning for more. Do not let the breadth of this glorious tome frighten you. It is worth every page... ( )
  Deankut | Sep 26, 2016 |
4.5/5 stars - I enjoyed this much more than I thought I would, though the last section of the book was particularly brutal to get through. It's a great blend of history and romance. It's clear that Diana Gabaldon did an extensive amount of research. I'm definitely going to have to continue with this series! ( )
  EllAreBee | Sep 19, 2016 |
Full review: http://pepitamagica.blogspot.pt/2016/07/livro-outlander-nas-asas-do-tempo-de.htm...

Portuguese version: http://pepitamagica.blogspot.pt/2016/07/livro-outlander-nas-asas-do-tempo-de.htm...

I’ll start by saying that I saw the first (and second) season of the Outlander before reading the book. I don’t like doing that, but it just happened, I was just browsing the telly and puff, there it was. After a few days, I had seen the complete first season and was just in time to start the second one. Only after that I recalled that I had those books at home. Just doing a small comparison, the first season was really, really accurate and loyal to the book, it was incredible to see how everything just fitted.
(...)

I don’t really want to say much about the plot, but I can say that the ordeals they go through are very difficult and stay very fresh in their memories (and ours), both in them as individuals and as a couple. If there were moments in which I didn’t like Jamie so much, I could say the same about Claire. Nevertheless, all this vanished with the enjoyment I had reading their story.

I know this is a short review, especially since this is such a large book, but I really don’t want to spoil it for you. I’ll only add that this book has love, drama, historical fiction (based on real events), time travels, sword and gunfights, and nights of terror but also of passion. I recommend reading the book first, so that you can create the characters and the environment all in your mind but, if you don’t, don’t worry, the differences between the first season and the first book are minimal. ( )
  Joana_v_v | Sep 19, 2016 |
"Looking at this wanton damage I could not avoid a mental picture of the process that had caused it. I tried not to imagine the muscular arms raised, spread-eagled and tied, ropes cutting into wrists, the coppery head pressed hard agains the post in agony, but the marks brought such images all too readily to mind. Had he screamed when it was done?"

"I could no more stop myself rising to his touch than I could stop myself bleeding when he cut me"

"I lie here feeling that I will die without your touch, but when you touch me I feel as though I will vomit with shame and loathing of myself"

If I could give this book 10 stars I would. I mean where where these books hiding? This is just book one and I'm emotionally wrecked :/ I can't think of a book more vivid and clear to the eyes and mind than this one. I started with some of my favourite quotes/parts of the book, to show you the writing, the words used to describe such awful and outrageous scenes/events.

A writer has his/her words only to make the reader see what is inside their head, to see what he/she wants us to see and to feel exactly what he/she wants us to feel. If they use the write words then they're talented and I have to say that Diana Gabaldon is more than talented in using words, playing with them and creating such images in the reader's mind.

I seriously can't tell you how I felt at the end of the book, I was enjoying reading ti with all the fighting scenes between Claire and Jamie but when I reached the last part "To Ransom A Man's Soul", I felt my hands shaking because what I was reading was horrible, what Jamie went through all his life and at the end on the hands of Black Jack Randall was more than anyone can imagine. I wonder how this will shape his character in Book 2 which I'm going to start reading soon, hopefully.

I loved the dialogues between the characters, it showed you their personality and how then it became more mature or reckless. From the dialogues you feel the development of the characters, especially Jamie's. Also Claire, how she fell in love with Jamie and refused to go back to her husband, her first true love because she felt something else with Jamie and couldn't let go of that feeling, couldn't leave him and live with the feeling being away from him.

Of course I have to praise the historical facts used this book, it was full of history, what was happening between England and Scotland and what would happen later. I learned to so many facts, words, rituals and more from this book and that's why I'm becoming to appreciate huge books because they hold a lot of knowledge and information. I used to get intimidated by huge books, but not anymore. I'm enjoying them.

If you haven't started yet with this series, then I advise you to start reading it now. But I have to warn you that it has sexual scenes, rape, language, violence and more. So read it at your own risk. ( )
  books.paper.mania | Sep 13, 2016 |
I absolutely loved this book. It was filled with action, adventure, and romance. I flew through the book and can't wait to read the rest of the series.
added by alaphi | editalaphi (Apr 3, 2016)

Een jonge, Engelse vrouw loopt kort na de Tweede Wereldoorlog tijdens een wandeling in de Schotse Hooglanden door een gespleten monoliet die deel uitmaakt van een magische cirkel. Hierdoor komt ze terecht in het turbulente Schotland van 1743 en trouwt om aan een wisse dood te ontsnappen een vogelvrij verklaarde Sejot. Beiden worden opgejaagd door een sadistische kapitein van de Engelse dragonders, maar kunnen na tal van avonturen en in het besef dat de loop van de geschiedenis veranderd kan worden, een nieuw bestaan opbouwen. Een fascinerende historische roman, waarin de auteur liefde, seks, romantiek, spanning en avontuur tot een boeiend geheel heeft samengevoegd. Goede tekening van de historische achtergrond. Een meeslepend verhaal.
added by Liyanna | editBiblion

Kuby, GabrieleÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Porter, DavinaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Regös, FerencCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sallamo-Lavi, AnuirmeliTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
People disappear all the time. Ask any policeman. Better yet, ask a journalist. Disappearances are bread-and-butter to journalists.
Young girls run away from home. Young children stray from their parents and are never seen again. Housewives reach the end of their tether and take the grocery money and a taxi to the station. International financiers change their names and vanish into the smoke of imported cigars.
Many of the lost will be found, eventually, dead or alive. Disappearances, after all, have explanations.
Usually.
To the Memory of My Mother,
Who Taught Me to Read —
Jacqueline Sykes Gabaldon
It wasn't a very likely place for disappearances, at least at first glance.
Prologue ------ People disappear all the time.
'Outlander' was published in the UK as 'Cross Stitch'.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0385319959, Paperback)

In Outlander, a 600-page time-travel romance, strong-willed and sensual Claire Randall leads a double life with a husband in one century, and a lover in another. Torn between fidelity and desire, she struggles to understand the pure intent of her heart. But don't let the number of pages and the Scottish dialect scare you. It's one of the fastest reads you'll have in your library.

While on her second honeymoon in the British Isles, Claire touches a boulder that hurls her back in time to the forbidden Castle Leoch with the MacKenzie clan. Not understanding the forces that brought her there, she becomes ensnared in life-threatening situations with a Scots warrior named James Fraser. But it isn't all spies and drudgery that she must endure. For amid her new surroundings and the terrors she faces, she is lured into love and passion like she's never known before.

I was lame and sore in every muscle when I woke next morning. I shuffled to the privy closet, then to the wash basin. My innards felt like churned butter. It felt as though I had been beaten with a blunt object, I reflected, then thought that that was very near the truth. The blunt object in question was visible as I came back to bed, looking now relatively harmless. Its possessor [Jamie] woke as I sat next to him, and examined me with something that looked very much like male smugness."
Gabaldon creates characters that you'll remember, laugh with, cry with, and cheer for long after you've finished the book. --Candy Paape

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:45 -0400)

Hurtled back through time more than two hundred years to Scotland in 1743, Claire Randall finds herself caught in the midst of an unfamiliar world torn apart by violence, pestilence, and revolution and haunted by her growing feelings for James Fraser, a young soldier.… (more)

Diana Gabaldon is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Outlander by Diana Gabaldon was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,272,316 books! | Top bar: Always visible