Outlander by Diana Gabaldon

Outlander (1991)

by Diana Gabaldon

Series: Outlander (1)

14,793732133 (4.25)2 / 960
    Into the Wilderness by Sara Donati (pollywannabook)
    pollywannabook: The closest thing to Outlander out there. Diana Gabaldon even lent out the character of Claire for a cameo in this book
    The Winter Sea by Susanna Kearsley (Iudita)
    Timeline by Michael Crichton (leahsimone)
    A Discovery of Witches: A Novel by Deborah Harkness (Anonymous user, SunnySD)
    The Bronze Horseman by Paullina Simons (littlebear514)
    littlebear514: Although the stories are COMPLETELY different; the writing is of the same quality and the stories are both deeply involved.
    Wildfire at Midnight by Mary Stewart (LiddyGally)
    LiddyGally: I recommend this book because the writing styles are in a similar vein rather than the stories being the same. Both, however, are set in the wilds of Scotland.
    The River of No Return by Bee Ridgway (redheadedali)
    Overseas by Beatriz Williams (becksdakex)
    becksdakex: Romance and time travel.
    The House on the Strand by Daphne du Maurier (aynar)
    aynar: Much better example of time travel.
    Son of the Morning by Linda Howard (amyblue)
    Outlander Kitchen: The Official Outlander Companion Cookbook by Theresa Carle-Sanders (karensmiththomas)
    The Legend of Lady MacLaoch by Becky Banks (elbakerone)
    elbakerone: Though Banks' novel is set in present day (and is considerably shorter), the love story with the gorgeous backdrop of Scotland was reminiscent of Gabaldon's series.
    Mary Queen of Scotland and the Isles by Margaret George (MissBrangwen)
    The Rose Garden by Susanna Kearsley (jennyj271)
    Lady of Hay by Barbara Erskine (Yells)
    Vrouwe van Llyn by Jane Watt (margarethmiwy)
    Midwife of the Blue Ridge by Christine Blevins (Joles)
    The Winter Rose by Jennifer Donnelly (fyrefly98)
    fyrefly98: Historical romance, hooray!
    In a Wild Wood by Sasha Lord (Jenson_AKA_DL)
    Jenson_AKA_DL: If you enjoyed the romance between Clare and Jamie I think you'll also enjoy this Highlander romance.
    The Dark Queen by Susan Carroll (infiniteletters)

English (721)  German (6)  Dutch (6)  Italian (3)  French (3)  Tagalog (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Finnish (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (743)
Throughout my childhood, I read a great many novels and series that gripped me -- that held my fantasy and dazzled me. It was such an amazing feeling to get lost in a book. As I have become older -- and busier -- I've read less, and become truly enchanted by even fewer. It was this series that gave back to me a love of reading as an adult.

These books combine fiction with historical figures and events, time travel, romance, folklore, magic, and deeply troubling human strife, at times. They can be graphic and not for the faint of heart, but they are completely engrossing. Diana Gabaldon truly has an ability to pull you in. I'm in love with this story, and would highly recommend! ( )
  Katie.Bussard | Aug 20, 2016 |
I did not care for this book. It is just me, I know many people are crazy about this series of books.Not my kind of read! ( )
  LauGal | Aug 16, 2016 |
I was surprised by how much I enjoyed this book. I had friends galore who gushed about it, knowing my interest in sci-fi/fantasy, preference for strong women as heroines, and things of a Celtic nature. I borrowed the audiobook from the library and found the narration hard to follow, and also the character of Claire a bit . . . whiney. I kept thinking, "Why are you not trying to fit into this time that you find yourself in, among these characters? Just deal with it, and then figure out how to get back into your own time." And I finally stopped listening about 5 CD's in.

Fast forward a few years, a friend gives me the first four volumes, nicely bound, in this set, and I begin to read. And fall in love with the world. Yes, I realize the world is the 18th century, and Scotsmen don't wear kilts and go running through the gorse and heather (though kudos for Billy Boyd wearing formal kilt wear to the Oscars in 2004). But the extent of Gabaldon's research into the modes of thinking of the time, the shortened life span, the lack of nutrition and education, and the beauty of a world gone away are astounding. And somehow, on the pages, Claire becomes a much fuller woman with a great deal more intelligence, compassion, and insight into her world.

The marriage between Jamie and her is very well done; the mini-series shows it perfectly. And while the pages of intense sex in almost every place become a bit much, the interactions and spirit of all the characters are brilliant. Plotting, scheming, just working to stay alive. I'm very glad I gave this series another chance, and happy to have started Book III earlier this year. ( )
  threadnsong | Aug 14, 2016 |
The really irreverent reviews I've seen here are accurate and fun, but then again, I'm not a diehard Outlander/Gabaldon fan. I read this when I was a teenager, so I found Jamie very sexy and romantic. Now that I'm older, I don't know if I would be so enamored of him. What this book has done is reinvent the romance genre in many ways, so I applaud Ms Gabaldon for that. For historical novel fans who like the sex in their books, this is one for you! ( )
  unabridgedchick | Aug 12, 2016 |
This was so impressively bad that I have had to stop, unfortunately. And given some of the stuff I seem to have missed out on, hoo-boy! I think I made the right decision.

I don't get the fetish some of you have for my home, though, honestly. The way that "Scotland" was written in this book made me half expect the barbarians to start running about chasing haggis any minute. Seriously. It's painful to read if you're actually from here, and the prose/characterisation doesn't do anything to alleviate that.

(If anyone wants to read a novel that's actually representative of Scotland in some measure, I recommend thoroughly A Scot's Quair by Lewis Grassic Gibbon, though it's talking about an entirely different time period. That novel is thought provoking stuff.) ( )
  thebookmagpie | Aug 7, 2016 |
I absolutely loved this book. It was filled with action, adventure, and romance. I flew through the book and can't wait to read the rest of the series.
added by alaphi | editalaphi (Apr 3, 2016)

Een jonge, Engelse vrouw loopt kort na de Tweede Wereldoorlog tijdens een wandeling in de Schotse Hooglanden door een gespleten monoliet die deel uitmaakt van een magische cirkel. Hierdoor komt ze terecht in het turbulente Schotland van 1743 en trouwt om aan een wisse dood te ontsnappen een vogelvrij verklaarde Sejot. Beiden worden opgejaagd door een sadistische kapitein van de Engelse dragonders, maar kunnen na tal van avonturen en in het besef dat de loop van de geschiedenis veranderd kan worden, een nieuw bestaan opbouwen. Een fascinerende historische roman, waarin de auteur liefde, seks, romantiek, spanning en avontuur tot een boeiend geheel heeft samengevoegd. Goede tekening van de historische achtergrond. Een meeslepend verhaal.
added by Liyanna | editBiblion

Kuby, GabrieleÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Porter, DavinaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Regös, FerencCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sallamo-Lavi, AnuirmeliTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
People disappear all the time. Ask any policeman. Better yet, ask a journalist. Disappearances are bread-and-butter to journalists.
Young girls run away from home. Young children stray from their parents and are never seen again. Housewives reach the end of their tether and take the grocery money and a taxi to the station. International financiers change their names and vanish into the smoke of imported cigars.
Many of the lost will be found, eventually, dead or alive. Disappearances, after all, have explanations.
Usually.
To the Memory of My Mother,
Who Taught Me to Read —
Jacqueline Sykes Gabaldon
It wasn't a very likely place for disappearances, at least at first glance.
Prologue ------ People disappear all the time.
'Outlander' was published in the UK as 'Cross Stitch'.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0385319959, Paperback)

In Outlander, a 600-page time-travel romance, strong-willed and sensual Claire Randall leads a double life with a husband in one century, and a lover in another. Torn between fidelity and desire, she struggles to understand the pure intent of her heart. But don't let the number of pages and the Scottish dialect scare you. It's one of the fastest reads you'll have in your library.

While on her second honeymoon in the British Isles, Claire touches a boulder that hurls her back in time to the forbidden Castle Leoch with the MacKenzie clan. Not understanding the forces that brought her there, she becomes ensnared in life-threatening situations with a Scots warrior named James Fraser. But it isn't all spies and drudgery that she must endure. For amid her new surroundings and the terrors she faces, she is lured into love and passion like she's never known before.

I was lame and sore in every muscle when I woke next morning. I shuffled to the privy closet, then to the wash basin. My innards felt like churned butter. It felt as though I had been beaten with a blunt object, I reflected, then thought that that was very near the truth. The blunt object in question was visible as I came back to bed, looking now relatively harmless. Its possessor [Jamie] woke as I sat next to him, and examined me with something that looked very much like male smugness."
Gabaldon creates characters that you'll remember, laugh with, cry with, and cheer for long after you've finished the book. --Candy Paape

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:45 -0400)

Hurtled back through time more than two hundred years to Scotland in 1743, Claire Randall finds herself caught in the midst of an unfamiliar world torn apart by violence, pestilence, and revolution and haunted by her growing feelings for James Fraser, a young soldier.… (more)

Diana Gabaldon is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Outlander by Diana Gabaldon was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,385,667 books! | Top bar: Always visible