Outlander by Diana Gabaldon

Outlander (1991)

by Diana Gabaldon

Series: Outlander (1)

12,253545207 (4.29)2 / 832
    Into the Wilderness by Sara Donati (pollywannabook)
    pollywannabook: The closest thing to Outlander out there. Diana Gabaldon even lent out the character of Claire for a cameo in this book
    The Winter Sea by Susanna Kearsley (Iudita)
    A Discovery of Witches by Deborah Harkness (Anonymous user, SunnySD)
    Timeline by Michael Crichton (leahsimone)
    The Bronze Horseman by Paullina Simons (littlebear514)
    littlebear514: Although the stories are COMPLETELY different; the writing is of the same quality and the stories are both deeply involved.
    The River of No Return by Bee Ridgway (redheadedali)
    Lady of Hay by Barbara Erskine (bucketyell)
    Overseas by Beatriz Williams (becksdakex)
    becksdakex: Romance and time travel.
    Wildfire at Midnight by Mary Stewart (LiddyGally)
    LiddyGally: I recommend this book because the writing styles are in a similar vein rather than the stories being the same. Both, however, are set in the wilds of Scotland.
    Son of the Morning by Linda Howard (amyblue)
    The Legend of Lady MacLaoch by Becky Banks (elbakerone)
    elbakerone: Though Banks' novel is set in present day (and is considerably shorter), the love story with the gorgeous backdrop of Scotland was reminiscent of Gabaldon's series.
    The Dark Queen by Susan Carroll (infiniteletters)
    Mary Queen of Scotland and the Isles by Margaret George (MissBrangwen)
    The House on the Strand by Daphne du Maurier (aynar)
    aynar: Much better example of time travel.
    Midwife of the Blue Ridge by Christine Blevins (Joles)
    The Winter Rose by Jennifer Donnelly (fyrefly98)
    fyrefly98: Historical romance, hooray!
    In a Wild Wood by Sasha Lord (Jenson_AKA_DL)
    Jenson_AKA_DL: If you enjoyed the romance between Clare and Jamie I think you'll also enjoy this Highlander romance.
    Vrouwe van Llyn by Jane Watt (margarethmiwy)
    11/22/63 by Stephen King (mene)
    mene: Both books are about time travel through a kind of portal. In both books, the time traveller finds love on the other side, but the effects of the time travel and the way it works are different. In King's book, the time traveller also actively tries to change history, while in Gabaldon's book, the time traveller uses her knowledge of future events a lot less actively.… (more)
    Reflections in the Nile by J. Suzanne Frank (infiniteletters)

English (532)  German (5)  Dutch (4)  French (3)  Italian (3)  Tagalog (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  All languages (549)
This story is looooooooooooooong and slow in pace. There are moments of fast paced action and tons of slow movement. However there are plenty of characters with some great definement. I loved Claire as a main character loved Jamie as her husband and hated many others. There are great details in the change of atmosphere for Claire and I admire the depth that writer went through to create the world. I can't get past how slow the pace was though. ( )
  jesssika | Sep 9, 2014 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I have heard many things about Diana Gabaldon's Outlander series for years, both good and bad, but had never read this book before receiving it through Early Reviewers. I can definitely understand some reader's issues with several scenes, especially the scenes involving domestic abuse. However, I found the book completely riveting. Gabaldon's prose was just wonderful to read. The story was engaging and the characters were full-bodied and flushed out. I really enjoyed the book and even went out to buy the next.
  HildebrandFamily | Sep 6, 2014 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Outlander is a very detailed book. The characters are full bodied and I find I like them more every time I re-read the book. There are a couple of scenes that maybe hard for someone. One is when Jamie beats Claire. The other one might be his retelling of his time with BJR.
I enjoy this whole series. I always want to know what happens to her characters. ( )
1 vote JenniferS. | Sep 2, 2014 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I received this book from Librarything in exchange for a review. I should also comment that if it were possible, I would give this book more that 5 stars.

This wonderful book caught and held my interest all the way through. Every reader has had a book where they skim through parts to get to the “Meat” of the story. I hung on every word. Diana Gabaldon did a masterful job of grabbing and holding my attention. This book is part time travel, part history and wholly a love story. My heart melted for Claire when she was ministering to Jamie in the French monastery as he hung near death. To watch this strong man as he came to terms with the abuse he suffered at the hands of Captain Randall brought tears to my eyes.

Some books remain with you long after you finish reading them; ’Outlander’ in one such book. I am so very glad there are other books in this series, otherwise I would have been so sad to come to the end of this captivating saga. ( )
  RLJM | Sep 2, 2014 |
I picked this book up again because everyone seems to love the darn thing so much. I managed to finish this time, but my view of the book is not much improved. I can't really find flaws in the author's style or the way the book is put together. The issue I have, is the same issue a lot of people seem to have with a few specific scenes. As a survivor of abuse in a relationship, I don't take this kind of abuse lightly. The scene where Jamie beats Claire is brutal. In her own words, her "husband" beats her within an inch of her life. Later on, his demand for sex from an unwilling Claire just solidified my dislike of this man. Sure he's a Scotsman living hundreds of years ago, but that doesn't seem like an excuse. He's a jerk to his wife and a jerk to his sister. I was also creeped out by Jamie's descriptions of his abuse and rape under the hands of Randall, and Claire's recreation of this to rouse him from a fever. This who bit was strange and really did not make me like the characters any more. I know the author has written a lot of large books to continue this story, but I can't imagine dedicating the time to reading them when I really don't like Jamie. At all. ( )
1 vote LISandKL | Aug 31, 2014 |

Diana Gabaldonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Anastassatos, MariettaCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Carbain, JeanCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Porter, DavinaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sallamo-Lavi, AnuirmeliTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
People disappear all the time. Ask any policeman. Better yet, ask a journalist. Disappearances are bread-and-butter to journalists.
Young girls run away from home. Young children stray from their parents and are never seen again. Housewives reach the end of their tether and take the grocery money and a taxi to the station. International financiers change their names and vanish into the smoke of imported cigars.
Many of the lost will be found, eventually, dead or alive. Disappearances, after all, have explanations.
Usually.
To the Memory of My Mother,
Who Taught Me to Read —
Jacqueline Sykes Gabaldon
It wasn't a very likely place for disappearances, at least at first glance.
Prologue ------ People disappear all the time.
'Outlander' was published in the UK as 'Cross Stitch'.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0385319959, Paperback)

In Outlander, a 600-page time-travel romance, strong-willed and sensual Claire Randall leads a double life with a husband in one century, and a lover in another. Torn between fidelity and desire, she struggles to understand the pure intent of her heart. But don't let the number of pages and the Scottish dialect scare you. It's one of the fastest reads you'll have in your library.

While on her second honeymoon in the British Isles, Claire touches a boulder that hurls her back in time to the forbidden Castle Leoch with the MacKenzie clan. Not understanding the forces that brought her there, she becomes ensnared in life-threatening situations with a Scots warrior named James Fraser. But it isn't all spies and drudgery that she must endure. For amid her new surroundings and the terrors she faces, she is lured into love and passion like she's never known before.

I was lame and sore in every muscle when I woke next morning. I shuffled to the privy closet, then to the wash basin. My innards felt like churned butter. It felt as though I had been beaten with a blunt object, I reflected, then thought that that was very near the truth. The blunt object in question was visible as I came back to bed, looking now relatively harmless. Its possessor [Jamie] woke as I sat next to him, and examined me with something that looked very much like male smugness."
Gabaldon creates characters that you'll remember, laugh with, cry with, and cheer for long after you've finished the book. --Candy Paape

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:26:38 -0400)

Hurtled back through time more than two hundred years to Scotland in 1743, Claire Randall finds herself caught in the midst of an unfamiliar world torn apart by violence, pestilence, and revolution and haunted by her growing feelings for James Fraser, a young soldier.… (more)

Diana Gabaldon is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Outlander by Diana Gabaldon was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,677,083 books! | Top bar: Always visible