Outlander by Diana Gabaldon

Outlander (1991)

by Diana Gabaldon

Series: Outlander (1)

14,433714139 (4.25)2 / 936
    Into the Wilderness by Sara Donati (pollywannabook)
    pollywannabook: The closest thing to Outlander out there. Diana Gabaldon even lent out the character of Claire for a cameo in this book
    The Winter Sea by Susanna Kearsley (Iudita)
    Timeline by Michael Crichton (leahsimone)
    A Discovery of Witches: A Novel by Deborah Harkness (Anonymous user, SunnySD)
    Wildfire at Midnight by Mary Stewart (LiddyGally)
    LiddyGally: I recommend this book because the writing styles are in a similar vein rather than the stories being the same. Both, however, are set in the wilds of Scotland.
    The River of No Return by Bee Ridgway (redheadedali)
    The Bronze Horseman by Paullina Simons (littlebear514)
    littlebear514: Although the stories are COMPLETELY different; the writing is of the same quality and the stories are both deeply involved.
    Overseas by Beatriz Williams (becksdakex)
    becksdakex: Romance and time travel.
    Son of the Morning by Linda Howard (amyblue)
    The House on the Strand by Daphne du Maurier (aynar)
    aynar: Much better example of time travel.
    Mary Queen of Scotland and the Isles by Margaret George (MissBrangwen)
    The Rose Garden by Susanna Kearsley (jennyj271)
    The Legend of Lady MacLaoch by Becky Banks (elbakerone)
    elbakerone: Though Banks' novel is set in present day (and is considerably shorter), the love story with the gorgeous backdrop of Scotland was reminiscent of Gabaldon's series.
    Lady of Hay by Barbara Erskine (Yells)
    Midwife of the Blue Ridge by Christine Blevins (Joles)
    The Dark Queen by Susan Carroll (infiniteletters)
    The Winter Rose by Jennifer Donnelly (fyrefly98)
    fyrefly98: Historical romance, hooray!
    Vrouwe van Llyn by Jane Watt (margarethmiwy)
    In a Wild Wood by Sasha Lord (Jenson_AKA_DL)
    Jenson_AKA_DL: If you enjoyed the romance between Clare and Jamie I think you'll also enjoy this Highlander romance.
    The Firebird by Susanna Kearsley (LAKobow)
    LAKobow: Also involves elements of realism mixed with fantasy, Scotland, romance, and historical fiction.

English (702)  German (6)  Dutch (5)  Italian (3)  French (3)  Tagalog (1)  Finnish (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  All languages (722)
3.5 stars. I'm more than a little disappointed. I have heard so many rave reviews on this book but it fell a bit flat for me.
I really enjoyed the beginning, probably up until the marriage. After that my interest waned considerably. The pacing was off. It would be really interesting and then nothing happens for several chapters.
I like the characters but their relationship is mostly cringe worthy. The justification of adultery really irked me. The fact that abuse was just dismissed as how things were was frankly mind boggling.
I love that the story is set in Scotland. I like the idea of time travel.
Overall I'm going to say I enjoyed it. I may even give the next book a try. The story was very interesting, but the romance was a nightmare and unfortunately it's a big chunk of the book. ( )
  LenaR0307 | May 30, 2016 |
I was am mixed about Outlander. I bought the book on a HUGE recommendation from a friend who loved it. I enjoyed the plotline, the characters, the history and the "magic" interwoven throughout the pages but I wasn't pulled in deep enough to want to continue reading the series.

Saying that, it's not like it was a boring read. It was actually quite fascinating and I was never bored by it, but I did not have deep emotions towards it. I had a very easy time putting it down if I needed to go to bed.

I know many people who loved it so I definitely wouldn't NOT recommend it. If you like a little bit of history and romance, you'll probably love this book. Pick it up and see for yourself! ( )
  keyboardscoffee | May 30, 2016 |
Davina Porter is excellent in her narration of this book. I might not have finished the book if I hadn't been listening to it... ( )
  leslie.98 | May 16, 2016 |
I was taken aback (and a bit disappointed) by the amount of explicit sex scenes in this (especially in the first third or so of the book). I might have given up but Davina Porter's narration of the audiobook was great and pulled me through.

I found the second half of the book was much better than the first half. Just a note for others who might (like me) not know much about this. It has often been shelved as science fiction but except for a single incident of time travel near the beginning, it really isn't. Historical fiction a la Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court... ( )
  leslie.98 | May 16, 2016 |
On a trip to Scotland with her husband, the heroine is thrust back in time and captured by Highlanders before she could be raped and killed by the English. There, in the company of the McKenzie’s, she meets the hero. He’s huge is stature but he’s got the heart of gold. He’s kind, comforting and a light of hope in an otherwise dark and scary world. She’s imprisoned as a doctor back at the keep and untrusted and carefully watched by the clansman. In a bid to save her from being taken by the English she’s made to marry the hero so her loyalties will now lie with Scotland. Though she’s guilt ridden by the betrayal she thinks she’s doing to her husband in the future, she immediately finds a connection with her new virgin husband and they bond quickly. The hero admits that he fell in love with her the first month she yelled at him after being shot that first night and married her, partly because he wanted to save her reputation but mostly because he loved her. But their relationship is out of this world passionate and beyond amazing. Claire's character was so frustrating at times because of her ignorance for Scottish customs and traditions. She really did screw Jaime over unknowingly sometimes but though they argued and insulted each other their love remained strong. Jaime was a product of his time. Kind, courteous and proud. The pour man spent 90% of the book in pain from his numerous injuries and yet he could smile and tease her. They fight often enough but are always quick to make up and both characters will literally to absolutely anything for the other. Be warned that this summary is bottom level basic and in no way does justice to this story. There’s a reason that this is the most respected and beloved romance in history. Be warned though. Reading this book will ruin other books for a good while. ( )
  Eden00 | May 14, 2016 |
I absolutely loved this book. It was filled with action, adventure, and romance. I flew through the book and can't wait to read the rest of the series.
added by alaphi | editalaphi (Apr 3, 2016)

Een jonge, Engelse vrouw loopt kort na de Tweede Wereldoorlog tijdens een wandeling in de Schotse Hooglanden door een gespleten monoliet die deel uitmaakt van een magische cirkel. Hierdoor komt ze terecht in het turbulente Schotland van 1743 en trouwt om aan een wisse dood te ontsnappen een vogelvrij verklaarde Sejot. Beiden worden opgejaagd door een sadistische kapitein van de Engelse dragonders, maar kunnen na tal van avonturen en in het besef dat de loop van de geschiedenis veranderd kan worden, een nieuw bestaan opbouwen. Een fascinerende historische roman, waarin de auteur liefde, seks, romantiek, spanning en avontuur tot een boeiend geheel heeft samengevoegd. Goede tekening van de historische achtergrond. Een meeslepend verhaal.
added by Liyanna | editBiblion

Kuby, GabrieleÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Porter, DavinaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Regös, FerencCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sallamo-Lavi, AnuirmeliTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
People disappear all the time. Ask any policeman. Better yet, ask a journalist. Disappearances are bread-and-butter to journalists.
Young girls run away from home. Young children stray from their parents and are never seen again. Housewives reach the end of their tether and take the grocery money and a taxi to the station. International financiers change their names and vanish into the smoke of imported cigars.
Many of the lost will be found, eventually, dead or alive. Disappearances, after all, have explanations.
Usually.
To the Memory of My Mother,
Who Taught Me to Read —
Jacqueline Sykes Gabaldon
It wasn't a very likely place for disappearances, at least at first glance.
Prologue ------ People disappear all the time.
'Outlander' was published in the UK as 'Cross Stitch'.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0385319959, Paperback)

In Outlander, a 600-page time-travel romance, strong-willed and sensual Claire Randall leads a double life with a husband in one century, and a lover in another. Torn between fidelity and desire, she struggles to understand the pure intent of her heart. But don't let the number of pages and the Scottish dialect scare you. It's one of the fastest reads you'll have in your library.

While on her second honeymoon in the British Isles, Claire touches a boulder that hurls her back in time to the forbidden Castle Leoch with the MacKenzie clan. Not understanding the forces that brought her there, she becomes ensnared in life-threatening situations with a Scots warrior named James Fraser. But it isn't all spies and drudgery that she must endure. For amid her new surroundings and the terrors she faces, she is lured into love and passion like she's never known before.

I was lame and sore in every muscle when I woke next morning. I shuffled to the privy closet, then to the wash basin. My innards felt like churned butter. It felt as though I had been beaten with a blunt object, I reflected, then thought that that was very near the truth. The blunt object in question was visible as I came back to bed, looking now relatively harmless. Its possessor [Jamie] woke as I sat next to him, and examined me with something that looked very much like male smugness."
Gabaldon creates characters that you'll remember, laugh with, cry with, and cheer for long after you've finished the book. --Candy Paape

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:45 -0400)

Hurtled back through time more than two hundred years to Scotland in 1743, Claire Randall finds herself caught in the midst of an unfamiliar world torn apart by violence, pestilence, and revolution and haunted by her growing feelings for James Fraser, a young soldier.… (more)

Diana Gabaldon is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Outlander by Diana Gabaldon was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,961,691 books! | Top bar: Always visible