Outlander by Diana Gabaldon

Outlander (1991)

by Diana Gabaldon

Series: Outlander (1)

12,884597177 (4.28)2 / 890
    Into the Wilderness by Sara Donati (pollywannabook)
    pollywannabook: The closest thing to Outlander out there. Diana Gabaldon even lent out the character of Claire for a cameo in this book
    The Winter Sea by Susanna Kearsley (Iudita)
    A Discovery of Witches by Deborah Harkness (Anonymous user, SunnySD)
    Timeline by Michael Crichton (leahsimone)
    The Bronze Horseman by Paullina Simons (littlebear514)
    littlebear514: Although the stories are COMPLETELY different; the writing is of the same quality and the stories are both deeply involved.
    The River of No Return by Bee Ridgway (redheadedali)
    Overseas by Beatriz Williams (becksdakex)
    becksdakex: Romance and time travel.
    Son of the Morning by Linda Howard (amyblue)
    Wildfire at Midnight by Mary Stewart (LiddyGally)
    LiddyGally: I recommend this book because the writing styles are in a similar vein rather than the stories being the same. Both, however, are set in the wilds of Scotland.
    Mary Queen of Scotland and the Isles by Margaret George (MissBrangwen)
    The House on the Strand by Daphne du Maurier (aynar)
    aynar: Much better example of time travel.
    The Legend of Lady MacLaoch by Becky Banks (elbakerone)
    elbakerone: Though Banks' novel is set in present day (and is considerably shorter), the love story with the gorgeous backdrop of Scotland was reminiscent of Gabaldon's series.
    Lady of Hay by Barbara Erskine (bucketyell)
    The Winter Rose by Jennifer Donnelly (fyrefly98)
    fyrefly98: Historical romance, hooray!
    Midwife of the Blue Ridge by Christine Blevins (Joles)
    Vrouwe van Llyn by Jane Watt (margarethmiwy)
    In a Wild Wood by Sasha Lord (Jenson_AKA_DL)
    Jenson_AKA_DL: If you enjoyed the romance between Clare and Jamie I think you'll also enjoy this Highlander romance.
    The Dark Queen by Susan Carroll (infiniteletters)
    The Firebird by Susanna Kearsley (LAKobow)
    LAKobow: Also involves elements of realism mixed with fantasy, Scotland, romance, and historical fiction.
    InuYasha, Volume 1 by Rumiko Takahashi (mene)
    mene: Both stories are about a female protagonist who travels a few hundred years to the past and meets a male whom she falls in love with. In both stories, the female protagonist travels back and forth to the past and her own time. "Inuyasha" is historical fantasy (it includes demons) and "Outlander" is historical fiction (the main characters get involved in historical events).… (more)

English (583)  German (6)  Dutch (4)  Italian (3)  French (3)  Tagalog (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Finnish (1)  All languages (602)
Very cool concept - woman in 1945 falls through a stone circle in Scotland and ends up in 1743, She falls in love and has numerous adventures with James Fraser.
Much of this historical fiction is love story, but there is quite a bit about the highlanders' way of life and struggles against the British.
Very enjoyable read! ( )
  aimless22 | Feb 28, 2015 |
I have had many people recommend this series for years, and I finally dug in. It did not disappoint. I love Claire, and Jamie they are such wonderful characters.
The time travel concept has always fascinated me, and what my impressions would be if I went back. The period of 1740's Scotland is interesting, and so much is happening all over the world at that time. I like how Claire has to think things through because of the possibility of being accused of witchcraft.
I also watched the first episode of the series on Starz. It looks like it is gonna be a good one!

Cant wait to keep reading. ( )
  Ahnya | Feb 12, 2015 |
I was first made aware of this series by a friend on Facebook. They recommended that I read this series before it came to Starz as a show. As I thoroughly enjoyed reading Game of Thrones and am now in the process of enjoying the HBO adaptation I thought that I would give the series a try. I am so glad that I did!

When reading this series you must be able to set aside disbelief about time travel. Once you've done that you are in for an exhilarating ride! The story begins with the end of WWII with a young couple, Frank and Claire Randall, traveling to Scotland for a second honeymoon. While there, Claire inadvertently travels back through time approximately 200 years where she meets the man who she will love through time, space and across nations. Having knowledge of the future puts a heavy burden on Claire as she decides who she can trust, who she should tell and whether she should work to make things different or let history happen as it will; all while trying to survive in the harsh climate of mid-1700's Scotland, what she wouldn't give for indoor plumbing! ( )
  slsmitty25 | Feb 11, 2015 |
The book had it's up and downs for me, while I liked elements of the book, I disliked a lot of other, and found there were chunks I hated, and found that there was a lot in the book that wasn't exactly necessary to the plot, or at least, could have been toned down.

From a historical fiction side of things, the book was fantastic. I liked the history of Scotland, the clans and the daily life of the people there. I think the author painted a lovely, beautiful picture on this aspect of the book.

I liked the idea behind the time travel aspect, but didn't like how it was executed. Perhaps more will be detail will be given later, but I think there needed to be at least something else in the book highlighting the possibly of time travel, myths, perhaps? What bothered me the most, was just how quickly, and calmly Claire came to the conclusion of time travel. I felt it was unrealistic how fast she came to the conclusion she time traveled, and even more realistic was how calm she was about the whole incident. In fact, her reactions, how quickly she adapted to the time period was unrealistic. It was almost instant, and I felt it didn't work well. The characters were okay. Some I like more than others, some of the clans men, were well written, and I enjoyed them a bit, but I'm not a fan of either Jamie or Claire. Both characters felt like Mary-Sues to me. The book and plot felt it was forced to make their love work properly. I also think their relationship was forced, and didn't buy into their undying love for them, and I really hated how their romance took over the book. I knew the book had a large amount of romance and love themes, but I wasn't expecting it to take over the book. It felt like, the lovebirds, became more like rabbits, if you catch my hint, and it became boring very quickly.

By the end of the book, I was glad to get there. While I loved the historical fiction side of it, and a few twists and turns in the book, I didn't like this one nearly as much as I thought I would. I'm on the fence about continuing with the series, while I want to know a few details that were revealed in this book, I also don't want to have to endure all the aspects of I disliked again, which I know will be in the other books of the series.

Also found on my book review blog Jules' Book Reviews - Outlander ( )
1 vote bookwormjules | Jan 30, 2015 |
Trigger Warning for discussions of child abuse, IPV, and rape.

Claire and Frank Randall head to Scotland to reacquaint themselves with each other after a six year separation, due to Claire's work as a combat nurse during WWII. Frank uses this time to research his family history and though Claire is supportive, she's not necessarily interested in the role that Frank's ancestor played in the Jackobite uprising. Clarie finds herself at the stone circle at Craigh na Dun and when she touches the cleft rock, Claire's life takes a turn she could never have imagined.

When Claire regains consciousness, she finds herself 200 years in the past but before she can make sense of what happened, Claire finds herself in a confrontation is Black Jack Randall, the 6x grandfather of her husband. Thankfully for Claire, a group of highlanders come along and rescue her before she can be raped. The problem is that the highlanders take Claire away from the stones she needs to stay near to, in order to return to her own time. Caught up in the upcoming uprising, clan politics and the tyranny of Black Jack Randall, Claire has only her wits to protect herself with.

Essentially, Outlander is a historical fantasy/romance novel. As much as the novel concerns itself with Claire learning how to live 200 years in the past, it is also about her relationship with Jamie Fraser, the man she is forced into marrying. Claire is a really strong protagonist, who never fears saying exactly what she is thinking or feeling for that matter. This gets her into some trouble at times, as of course, gender dynamics in the 1700's, are extremely patriarchal and rigid. The highlanders are highly suspicious of Claire, who they fear to be an English spy and Claire must spend her time trying to convince them that she is not working for the crown, even as she hides the truth of her identity from them.

As the story continues, Claire's marriage of convenience to Jamie, turns into love and is she troubled by the fact that she has a husband - Frank Randall waiting and worrying about her 1945. Many of the other female characters in this novel are very strong and outspoken, particularly Jenny, Jamie's sister. Jenny refuses to be bullied by anyone and stands toe to toe with her older brother when he tries to shame her because he believes that she is a rape victim. Instead, Jenny laughs at her would be rapist and fights back to the best of her ability.
“I laughed. I mean—” Her eyes met her brother’s with some defiance. “I kent well enough how a man’s made. I’d seen you naked often enough, and Willy and Ian as well. But he—” A tiny smile appeared on her lips, despite her apparent efforts to suppress it. He looked so funny, all red in the face, and rubbing himself so frantic, and yet still only half—”

There was a choked sound from Ian, and she bit her lip, but went on bravely.

“He didna like it when I laughed, and I could see it, so I laughed some more. That’s when he lunged at me and tore my dress half off me. I smacked him in the face, and he struck me across the jaw, hard enough to make me see stars. Then he grunted a bit, as though that pleased him, and started to climb onto the bed wi’ me. I had just about sense enough left to laugh again. I struggled up onto my knees, and I—I taunted him. I told him I kent he was no a real man, and couldna manage wi’ a woman. I—”

She bent her head still further, so the dark curls swung down past her flaming cheeks. Her words were very low, almost a whisper.“I…spread the pieces of my gown apart, and I…taunted him wi’ my breasts. I told him I knew he was afraid o’ me, because he wasna fit to touch a woman, but only to sport wi’ beasts and young lads…”

“Jenny,” said Jamie, shaking his head helplessly.

Her head came up to look at him. “Weel, I did then,” she said. “It was all I could think of, and I could see that he was fair off his head, but it was plain too that he…couldn’t. And I stared right at his breeches and I laughed again. And then he got his hands round my throat, throttling me, and I cracked my head against the bedpost, and…and when I woke he’d gone, and you wi’ him.” (pg 540- 541)
When Jamie is kidnapped, even after just giving birth to a baby, Jenny is not afraid to go on a rescue mission to save her brother. Then you have Mrs. Fitz who runs her kitchen with an iron hand and shows Claire the ropes somewhat. Mrs.Fitz is unafraid to stand up to himself (the Laird), when she believes that Claire is in danger after a report of a witch trial in town. The women of Outlander are not above scheming if they must, or even playing on the gender roles that they have been given in order to get their way. Even Geille whose life ends horribly manages to outsmart her husband and murder him.

For a historical fantasy romance, Outlander is filled with violence from start to finish. Yes, violence between the English and the Scottish is to be expected given the time period but Gabaldon takes it so much further. We have Geille, a pregnant woman and yet another traveler from the future, who is set up as a witch by Callum and Dougall and killed. Homicide is the leading cause of death amongst pregnant women and Gabaldon used this as a small additive to her story. The only purpose Geille's death served was to inform the reader that she had also traveled from the future. Surely, such information could have been imparted without her violent death.

Read More ( )
  FangsfortheFantasy | Jan 25, 2015 |

Diana Gabaldonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Anastassatos, MariettaCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Carbain, JeanCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Porter, DavinaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sallamo-Lavi, AnuirmeliTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
People disappear all the time. Ask any policeman. Better yet, ask a journalist. Disappearances are bread-and-butter to journalists.
Young girls run away from home. Young children stray from their parents and are never seen again. Housewives reach the end of their tether and take the grocery money and a taxi to the station. International financiers change their names and vanish into the smoke of imported cigars.
Many of the lost will be found, eventually, dead or alive. Disappearances, after all, have explanations.
Usually.
To the Memory of My Mother,
Who Taught Me to Read —
Jacqueline Sykes Gabaldon
It wasn't a very likely place for disappearances, at least at first glance.
Prologue ------ People disappear all the time.
'Outlander' was published in the UK as 'Cross Stitch'.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0385319959, Paperback)

In Outlander, a 600-page time-travel romance, strong-willed and sensual Claire Randall leads a double life with a husband in one century, and a lover in another. Torn between fidelity and desire, she struggles to understand the pure intent of her heart. But don't let the number of pages and the Scottish dialect scare you. It's one of the fastest reads you'll have in your library.

While on her second honeymoon in the British Isles, Claire touches a boulder that hurls her back in time to the forbidden Castle Leoch with the MacKenzie clan. Not understanding the forces that brought her there, she becomes ensnared in life-threatening situations with a Scots warrior named James Fraser. But it isn't all spies and drudgery that she must endure. For amid her new surroundings and the terrors she faces, she is lured into love and passion like she's never known before.

I was lame and sore in every muscle when I woke next morning. I shuffled to the privy closet, then to the wash basin. My innards felt like churned butter. It felt as though I had been beaten with a blunt object, I reflected, then thought that that was very near the truth. The blunt object in question was visible as I came back to bed, looking now relatively harmless. Its possessor [Jamie] woke as I sat next to him, and examined me with something that looked very much like male smugness."
Gabaldon creates characters that you'll remember, laugh with, cry with, and cheer for long after you've finished the book. --Candy Paape

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:26:38 -0400)

Hurtled back through time more than two hundred years to Scotland in 1743, Claire Randall finds herself caught in the midst of an unfamiliar world torn apart by violence, pestilence, and revolution and haunted by her growing feelings for James Fraser, a young soldier.… (more)

Diana Gabaldon is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Outlander by Diana Gabaldon was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,758,388 books! | Top bar: Always visible