dismiss

Outlander (1991)

by Diana Gabaldon

Series: Outlander (1)

18,634867156 (4.21)2 / 1142
Hurtled back through time more than two hundred years to Scotland in 1743, Claire Randall finds herself caught in the midst of an unfamiliar world torn apart by violence, pestilence, and revolution and haunted by her growing feelings for James Fraser, a young soldier.
    Into the Wilderness by Sara Donati (pollywannabook)
    pollywannabook: The closest thing to Outlander out there. Diana Gabaldon even lent out the character of Claire for a cameo in this book
    The Winter Sea by Susanna Kearsley (Iudita)
    Timeline by Michael Crichton (leahsimone)
    The House on the Strand by Daphne du Maurier (aynar)
    aynar: Much better example of time travel.
    The River of No Return by Bee Ridgway (redheadedali)
    Wildfire at Midnight by Mary Stewart (LiddyGally)
    LiddyGally: I recommend this book because the writing styles are in a similar vein rather than the stories being the same. Both, however, are set in the wilds of Scotland.
    A Discovery of Witches by Deborah Harkness (Anonymous user, SunnySD)
    The Bronze Horseman by Paullina Simons (littlebear514)
    littlebear514: Although the stories are COMPLETELY different; the writing is of the same quality and the stories are both deeply involved.
    Overseas by Beatriz Williams (becksdakex)
    becksdakex: Romance and time travel.
    Son of the Morning by Linda Howard (amyblue)
    The Dark Queen by Susan Carroll (infiniteletters)
    The Song of Albion Collection: The Paradise War, The Silver Hand, and The Endless Knot by Stephen Lawhead (charlie68)
    charlie68: A story about a trip farther into Britain's past.
    The Rose Garden by Susanna Kearsley (jennyj271)
    The Legend of Lady MacLaoch by Becky Banks (elbakerone)
    elbakerone: Though Banks' novel is set in present day (and is considerably shorter), the love story with the gorgeous backdrop of Scotland was reminiscent of Gabaldon's series.
    Mary Queen of Scotland & The Isles: A Novel by Margaret George (MissBrangwen)
    In a Wild Wood by Sasha Lord (Jenson_AKA_DL)
    Jenson_AKA_DL: If you enjoyed the romance between Clare and Jamie I think you'll also enjoy this Highlander romance.
    Midwife of the Blue Ridge by Christine Blevins (Joles)
    Ross Poldark by Winston Graham (Anonymous user)
    Vrouwe van Llyn by Jane Watt (margarethmiwy)
    A Wee Guide To The Jacobites (WEE Guides) by Charles Sinclair (MissBrangwen)

English (844)  German (6)  Dutch (6)  French (6)  Italian (3)  Portuguese (Portugal) (2)  Tagalog (1)  Swedish (1)  Finnish (1)  All languages (870)
Basic fun with some interesting historical details included.

I did go and listen to the Outlander musical on Spotify - that sounded very sweet. I'm glad I got to read the book and create my own interpretation. ( )
  avonar | May 27, 2020 |
Would have given it 5, but way too graphic for this girl ( )
  sishpa | Apr 25, 2020 |
I'd have given it 4 stars if I didn't dislike Romance. Most of the story was very enjoyable, but there was more romance than I care to tolerate. ( )
  RaggedyMandy | Apr 22, 2020 |
A stone circle in Scotland sends Claire Randall back 202 years into the past from 1945 to 1743.

Diana Gabaldon is a great story-teller and I can see why so many find her books addictive. However, it has to be said that the beginning of the book, set in 1945, is woefully under-researched. The whole 'post-war' picture of Scotland was generally unconvincing, made even more so by Claire and Frank having spent some time after the war in the Highlands when she was sent back, but this was at Beltane (1 May), i.e., a week before the war ended.

Having said that I do have the second book in the series on order :-) ( )
  Robertgreaves | Apr 15, 2020 |
Good book, but wow is it detailed! I’m not sure I’ll continue on with the series. I am a big fan of the show, so maybe I’ll just stick with that. We’ll see. ( )
  Crystal423 | Mar 23, 2020 |
I absolutely loved this book. It was filled with action, adventure, and romance. I flew through the book and can't wait to read the rest of the series.
added by alaphi | editalaphi (Apr 3, 2016)

Een jonge, Engelse vrouw loopt kort na de Tweede Wereldoorlog tijdens een wandeling in de Schotse Hooglanden door een gespleten monoliet die deel uitmaakt van een magische cirkel. Hierdoor komt ze terecht in het turbulente Schotland van 1743 en trouwt om aan een wisse dood te ontsnappen een vogelvrij verklaarde Sejot. Beiden worden opgejaagd door een sadistische kapitein van de Engelse dragonders, maar kunnen na tal van avonturen en in het besef dat de loop van de geschiedenis veranderd kan worden, een nieuw bestaan opbouwen. Een fascinerende historische roman, waarin de auteur liefde, seks, romantiek, spanning en avontuur tot een boeiend geheel heeft samengevoegd. Goede tekening van de historische achtergrond. Een meeslepend verhaal.
added by Liyanna | editBiblion

Kuby, GabrieleÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Porter, DavinaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Regös, FerencCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sallamo-Lavi, AnuirmeliTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
People disappear all the time. Ask any policeman. Better yet, ask a journalist. Disappearances are bread-and-butter to journalists.
Young girls run away from home. Young children stray from their parents and are never seen again. Housewives reach the end of their tether and take the grocery money and a taxi to the station. International financiers change their names and vanish into the smoke of imported cigars.
Many of the lost will be found, eventually, dead or alive. Disappearances, after all, have explanations.
Usually.
To the Memory of My Mother,
Who Taught Me to Read —
Jacqueline Sykes Gabaldon
It wasn't a very likely place for disappearances, at least at first glance.
Prologue ------ People disappear all the time.
'Outlander' was published in the UK as 'Cross Stitch'.

Traveling in time
Clare falls in love with Jamie
Must choose if she stays
(BekiLynn)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Diana Gabaldon's book Outlander was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

LibraryThing Member Giveaway

Diana Gabaldon's book Outlander was available from LibraryThing Member Giveaway.

Diana Gabaldon is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 146,620,847 books! | Top bar: Always visible