Outlander by Diana Gabaldon

Outlander (1991)

by Diana Gabaldon

Series: Outlander (1)

12,030529214 (4.29)2 / 814
Recently added bypife43, Julia.Reeb, LAKobow, casanders2015, Theadora78, cheriker, jpierce87, btz3, private library, Tielmann
18th century (179) adventure (104) audiobook (52) Diana Gabaldon (56) ebook (67) England (44) fantasy (543) favorite (47) favorites (42) fiction (989) Gabaldon (45) historical (321) historical fiction (960) historical romance (193) history (94) Jacobites (66) Jamie Fraser (42) Kindle (79) novel (86) Outlander (182) Outlander series (113) own (102) read (154) romance (958) science fiction (85) Scotland (842) series (193) time travel (1,174) to-read (258) unread (57)
    Into the Wilderness by Sara Donati (pollywannabook)
    pollywannabook: The closest thing to Outlander out there. Diana Gabaldon even lent out the character of Claire for a cameo in this book
    The Winter Sea by Susanna Kearsley (Iudita)
    A Discovery of Witches by Deborah Harkness (Anonymous user, SunnySD)
    Timeline by Michael Crichton (leahsimone)
    The Bronze Horseman by Paullina Simons (littlebear514)
    littlebear514: Although the stories are COMPLETELY different; the writing is of the same quality and the stories are both deeply involved.
    Lady of Hay by Barbara Erskine (bucketyell)
    The River of No Return by Bee Ridgway (redheadedali)
    Overseas by Beatriz Williams (becksdakex)
    becksdakex: Romance and time travel.
    Wildfire at Midnight by Mary Stewart (LiddyGally)
    LiddyGally: I recommend this book because the writing styles are in a similar vein rather than the stories being the same. Both, however, are set in the wilds of Scotland.
    Son of the Morning by Linda Howard (amyblue)
    The Legend of Lady MacLaoch by Becky Banks (elbakerone)
    elbakerone: Though Banks' novel is set in present day (and is considerably shorter), the love story with the gorgeous backdrop of Scotland was reminiscent of Gabaldon's series.
    The Dark Queen by Susan Carroll (infiniteletters)
    Mary Queen of Scotland and the Isles by Margaret George (MissBrangwen)
    The House on the Strand by Daphne du Maurier (aynar)
    aynar: Much better example of time travel.
    Midwife of the Blue Ridge by Christine Blevins (Joles)
    The Winter Rose by Jennifer Donnelly (fyrefly98)
    fyrefly98: Historical romance, hooray!
    In a Wild Wood by Sasha Lord (Jenson_AKA_DL)
    Jenson_AKA_DL: If you enjoyed the romance between Clare and Jamie I think you'll also enjoy this Highlander romance.
    Vrouwe van Llyn by Jane Watt (margarethmiwy)
    11/22/63 by Stephen King (mene)
    mene: Both books are about time travel through a kind of portal. In both books, the time traveller finds love on the other side, but the effects of the time travel and the way it works are different. In King's book, the time traveller also actively tries to change history, while in Gabaldon's book, the time traveller uses her knowledge of future events a lot less actively.… (more)
    Reflections in the Nile by J. Suzanne Frank (infiniteletters)

English (516)  German (5)  Dutch (4)  French (3)  Italian (3)  Tagalog (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  All languages (533)
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I will confess that I had read this before, many years ago, and loved it then. I'd long since lost my copy (no doubt loaned out), so though I would see if I could both replace my copy, and take the chance to look at this book with older eyes. I was not disappointed. I don't tend to favor romances generally, though I do like historical fiction, especially when it features time periods I care about. Even then, I prefer the romance to add flavor, not be the main course. In that aspect this books fails, but I found I didn't care one bit. The story is engaging, the main character snarky, giving, insecure and arrogant by turns. I can identify with her a lot! The romance that drives the book blends gracefully with the historical setting (something rare in my experience), rather than overshadowing it, (a flaw which, absent here, can leave the history as a thin veneer over a stock romance). And, while my expertise is in medieval history, I have spent quite a lot of time mucking about with Scottish history as well (it was a near thing that the Middle Ages claimed me over Jacobite Scotland), and I can say that the history here seems sound, unprecedentedly so. The only thing I can think of that might not recommend this book is its sheer length, but to that let me say that you will be rewarded, and you will find it over long before you want it to be. ( )
  Mithalogica | Jul 8, 2014 |
Why on earth didn't I pick up this book sooner? Really a great read that I couldn't put down. No, it's not exactly great literature - but as far as an entertaining, escapist read goes, you can't do better. My new (very) guilty pleasure. It had a bit of the romance novel about it, but I loved the historical fiction aspect, and it kept me entertained and wanting more. Gabaldon is a fantastic story teller, always keeping the reader on their toes and really getting you to care about the characters. The only downside is that now I'll have to find time to read the rest of the series :P ( )
  bookwormam | Jul 8, 2014 |
It's 1946. Claire Beauchamp and her husband Frank Randall are honeymooning in the Scottish Highlands. The couple is reconnecting after the end of World War II, where Frank served as a soldier and Claire a nurse. Frank is taking the opportunity to research more of his family tree and Claire is along for the ride, enjoying the time with her husband. But, on a sight seeing trip to Craig na Dun, she touches one of the standing stones and suddenly finds herself pulled back in time to 1743.

The first man Claire meets is Jack Randall, Frank's six-times-great-grandfather, who bears a striking resemblance to his future grandson. But Claire soon realizes that Jack's face and physical features are where the resemblance ends. She quickly realizes she's in danger and is rescued by a highlander clansman. Once out of Randall's grasp, Claire finds that she's landed out of the frying pan squarely in the fire.

"Outlander" is a sweeping historical tome and the first book in a momumental series. Medicine, war, history, romance, love, witchcraft, herbal lore and more is all encompassed in this story that is sweeping and addictive. Yes, the book is over 600 pages. Yes, there are some passages that I find a little tedious. Yes, I have so many questions about English and Scottish history that have been sparked by reading "Outlander." But all of these "negatives" are easily brushed aside by the story and the romance between Claire and Jamie Fraser. ( )
  Jenna.Czaplewski | Jul 3, 2014 |
I thought this was a great book and recommended it to my sister-in law that is a fan of time travel romance. It has a little bit of everything. I also like how she does not leave you hanging (as far as characters go) they have a back story and you really feel like you know them when you reading the book. ( )
  NikiRayven | Jun 25, 2014 |
Diana Gabaldon's Outlander is the first book in a series that is historical fiction, fantasy and science fiction, action and adventure, and romance all rolled up into one book. I enjoyed the book for many reasons particularly a strong female lead character. Really, I enjoyed all aspects of the book except for the graphic physical descriptions. Those I can do without.

Read my complete review at: http://www.memoriesfrombooks.com/2014/06/outlander.html

*** Reviewed based on a copy received through a publisher’s giveaway *** ( )
  njmom3 | Jun 24, 2014 |

Diana Gabaldonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Anastassatos, MariettaCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Carbain, JeanCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Porter, DavinaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sallamo-Lavi, AnuirmeliTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
People disappear all the time. Ask any policeman. Better yet, ask a journalist. Disappearances are bread-and-butter to journalists.
Young girls run away from home. Young children stray from their parents and are never seen again. Housewives reach the end of their tether and take the grocery money and a taxi to the station. International financiers change their names and vanish into the smoke of imported cigars.
Many of the lost will be found, eventually, dead or alive. Disappearances, after all, have explanations.
Usually.
To the Memory of My Mother,
Who Taught Me to Read --
Jacqueline Sykes Gabaldon
It wasn't a very likely place for disappearances, at least at first glance.
Prologue ------ People disappear all the time.
'Outlander' was published in the UK as 'Cross Stitch'.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0385319959, Paperback)

In Outlander, a 600-page time-travel romance, strong-willed and sensual Claire Randall leads a double life with a husband in one century, and a lover in another. Torn between fidelity and desire, she struggles to understand the pure intent of her heart. But don't let the number of pages and the Scottish dialect scare you. It's one of the fastest reads you'll have in your library.

While on her second honeymoon in the British Isles, Claire touches a boulder that hurls her back in time to the forbidden Castle Leoch with the MacKenzie clan. Not understanding the forces that brought her there, she becomes ensnared in life-threatening situations with a Scots warrior named James Fraser. But it isn't all spies and drudgery that she must endure. For amid her new surroundings and the terrors she faces, she is lured into love and passion like she's never known before.

I was lame and sore in every muscle when I woke next morning. I shuffled to the privy closet, then to the wash basin. My innards felt like churned butter. It felt as though I had been beaten with a blunt object, I reflected, then thought that that was very near the truth. The blunt object in question was visible as I came back to bed, looking now relatively harmless. Its possessor [Jamie] woke as I sat next to him, and examined me with something that looked very much like male smugness."
Gabaldon creates characters that you'll remember, laugh with, cry with, and cheer for long after you've finished the book. --Candy Paape

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:26:38 -0400)

Hurtled back through time more than two hundred years to Scotland in 1743, Claire Randall finds herself caught in the midst of an unfamiliar world torn apart by violence, pestilence, and revolution and haunted by her growing feelings for James Fraser, a young soldier.… (more)

Diana Gabaldon is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Outlander by Diana Gabaldon was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,463,119 books! | Top bar: Always visible