Outlander by Diana Gabaldon

Outlander (1991)

by Diana Gabaldon

Series: Outlander (1)

12,385567200 (4.29)2 / 857
    Into the Wilderness by Sara Donati (pollywannabook)
    pollywannabook: The closest thing to Outlander out there. Diana Gabaldon even lent out the character of Claire for a cameo in this book
    The Winter Sea by Susanna Kearsley (Iudita)
    A Discovery of Witches by Deborah Harkness (Anonymous user, SunnySD)
    Timeline by Michael Crichton (leahsimone)
    The Bronze Horseman by Paullina Simons (littlebear514)
    littlebear514: Although the stories are COMPLETELY different; the writing is of the same quality and the stories are both deeply involved.
    The River of No Return by Bee Ridgway (redheadedali)
    Son of the Morning by Linda Howard (amyblue)
    Overseas by Beatriz Williams (becksdakex)
    becksdakex: Romance and time travel.
    Wildfire at Midnight by Mary Stewart (LiddyGally)
    LiddyGally: I recommend this book because the writing styles are in a similar vein rather than the stories being the same. Both, however, are set in the wilds of Scotland.
    Lady of Hay by Barbara Erskine (bucketyell)
    Mary Queen of Scotland and the Isles by Margaret George (MissBrangwen)
    The House on the Strand by Daphne du Maurier (aynar)
    aynar: Much better example of time travel.
    The Firebird by Susanna Kearsley (LAKobow)
    LAKobow: Also involves elements of realism mixed with fantasy, Scotland, romance, and historical fiction.
    The Legend of Lady MacLaoch by Becky Banks (elbakerone)
    elbakerone: Though Banks' novel is set in present day (and is considerably shorter), the love story with the gorgeous backdrop of Scotland was reminiscent of Gabaldon's series.
    The Dark Queen by Susan Carroll (infiniteletters)
    In a Wild Wood by Sasha Lord (Jenson_AKA_DL)
    Jenson_AKA_DL: If you enjoyed the romance between Clare and Jamie I think you'll also enjoy this Highlander romance.
    The Winter Rose by Jennifer Donnelly (fyrefly98)
    fyrefly98: Historical romance, hooray!
    Midwife of the Blue Ridge by Christine Blevins (Joles)
    Vrouwe van Llyn by Jane Watt (margarethmiwy)
    InuYasha, Volume 1 by Rumiko Takahashi (mene)
    mene: Both stories are about a female protagonist who travels a few hundred years to the past and meets a male whom she falls in love with. In both stories, the female protagonist travels back and forth to the past and her own time. "Inuyasha" is historical fantasy (it includes demons) and "Outlander" is historical fiction (the main characters get involved in historical events).… (more)

English (550)  German (5)  Dutch (4)  French (3)  Italian (3)  Tagalog (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  All languages (567)
Absolutely love this book. ( )
  WhitneyA06 | Oct 13, 2014 |
Good storytelling ( )
  gail616 | Oct 13, 2014 |
Claire is on a second honeymoon with her husband, Frank, in Iverness, Scotland, in 1945; they were separated during the war. But they aren't in Iverness long before Claire walks through some standing stones and falls back two hundred years into 1743. She is promptly assaulted by her husband's ancestor, Jonathan "Black Jack" Randall, and rescued by a band of Scots, one of whom she is soon forced into marrying in order to protect her from Captain Randall. Claire's new husband, Jamie, is twenty-three, handsome, a capable fighter, enlightened for his time, and the nephew of Colum and Dougal MacKenzie, the lairds of Castle Leoch. He is also an outlaw with a price on his head, and a particular enemy of the vicious Captain Randall.

Outlander covers a lot of ground in a relatively short span of time: Claire spends time at Castle Leoch, works as a healer, makes friends with Geillis Duncan and is nearly burned as a witch, goes on a road trip (on horseback) with Jamie, Dougal, and others to collect rents - and maybe raise support for Bonny Prince Charlie - stays for a time at Lallybroch, Jamie's estate, and meets his sister Jenny, and finally attempts to rescue Jamie when he's captured and sent to Wentworth prison. After the prison break, they cross the channel to safety in France.

Claire and Jamie's chemistry is convincing, and the period detail is flawless, evoking the various settings - indoor and outdoor - so as to bring a full visual picture to the reader's mind. The story does require a continued willing suspension of disbelief, not just at the initial time jump, but at various points throughout. There is also a lot of violence and sex, but it didn't seem gratuitous - just part of life.

Quotes

"So you married me," I teased, "to avoid the occasion of sin?"
"Aye. That's what marriage is good for; it makes a sacrament out of things ye'd otherwise have to confess."
"Oh, Jamie, I do love you!" (299)

Jamie, having a talk with his little nephew Hamish, comparing human and equine sex:
"There's some difference, ye ken...For one thing, it's...more gentle."
"Ye dinna bite them on the neck, then?" Hamish had the serious, intent expression of one taking careful notes. "To make them keep still?"
"Er...no. Not customarily, anyway." (334)

He stepped off the ledge and made his way down the steep incline, bracing his feet against tufts of grass, catching at branches to keep his balance, not looking back. I watched him until he disappeared into the oak clump, walking slowly, like a man wounded, who knows he must keep moving, but feels his life ebbing slowly away through the fingers he has clenched over the wound. (411) ( )
  JennyArch | Oct 11, 2014 |
Her storytelling is amazing and the tale, while seemingly unbelievable, is made believable by this gifted author. ( )
  lhlady | Oct 8, 2014 |
Outlander by Diana Gabaldon; (5*) (a reread several times over for me)

Wouldn't most of us love a chance to go back in time and change something or be able to decide not to make a choice that we have lived to regret? In Diana Gabaldon's Outlander the heroine gets that second chance.
Claire Randall, our protagonist, is a combat nurse in the 1940s, reunited with her husband of 8 years. They are having a second honeymoon in Scotland when Claire is transported back in time through the stone circle to the 1700s by forces she does not understand.
1743 Scotland is torn by war and Claire has trouble believing what is happening to her. Then she is forced to marry the breathtakingly handsome and ethical (for the 1700s) Jamie Fraser. He introduces her to a love so absolute that it can withstand torture, war, and hate. But will these star crossed lovers be able to defy the laws of time?
Claire is a most wonderful heroine. It was lovely to see historical Scotland from a more modern point of view and from the past also as the subject matter has been well researched. When Claire's 'second chance' comes she grasps it with both hands and holds tight. It is fabulous to see that kind of strength in a heroine. And young Jamie is a nice change from the normal hero. In this novel he is the virgin and Claire is the one with experience and I was delighted that Jamie was a virgin on his wedding night.
The secondary characters of this novel are deftly woven throughout the story and some of them are downright loveable. Others are despicable. But they all add to the ebb and flow of the narrative.
Because Outlander is written in first person this reader felt very connected to Claire. I laughed and wept right along with her. I was thrilled that this is part of a series. Readers of the book seem either to love or to hate it. I belong to the former. When I got to the end of the book I couldn't wait to read the next in the series.
I am looking forward to rereading the second in the series. ( )
2 vote rainpebble | Oct 7, 2014 |

Diana Gabaldonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Anastassatos, MariettaCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Carbain, JeanCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Porter, DavinaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sallamo-Lavi, AnuirmeliTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
People disappear all the time. Ask any policeman. Better yet, ask a journalist. Disappearances are bread-and-butter to journalists.
Young girls run away from home. Young children stray from their parents and are never seen again. Housewives reach the end of their tether and take the grocery money and a taxi to the station. International financiers change their names and vanish into the smoke of imported cigars.
Many of the lost will be found, eventually, dead or alive. Disappearances, after all, have explanations.
Usually.
To the Memory of My Mother,
Who Taught Me to Read —
Jacqueline Sykes Gabaldon
It wasn't a very likely place for disappearances, at least at first glance.
Prologue ------ People disappear all the time.
'Outlander' was published in the UK as 'Cross Stitch'.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0385319959, Paperback)

In Outlander, a 600-page time-travel romance, strong-willed and sensual Claire Randall leads a double life with a husband in one century, and a lover in another. Torn between fidelity and desire, she struggles to understand the pure intent of her heart. But don't let the number of pages and the Scottish dialect scare you. It's one of the fastest reads you'll have in your library.

While on her second honeymoon in the British Isles, Claire touches a boulder that hurls her back in time to the forbidden Castle Leoch with the MacKenzie clan. Not understanding the forces that brought her there, she becomes ensnared in life-threatening situations with a Scots warrior named James Fraser. But it isn't all spies and drudgery that she must endure. For amid her new surroundings and the terrors she faces, she is lured into love and passion like she's never known before.

I was lame and sore in every muscle when I woke next morning. I shuffled to the privy closet, then to the wash basin. My innards felt like churned butter. It felt as though I had been beaten with a blunt object, I reflected, then thought that that was very near the truth. The blunt object in question was visible as I came back to bed, looking now relatively harmless. Its possessor [Jamie] woke as I sat next to him, and examined me with something that looked very much like male smugness."
Gabaldon creates characters that you'll remember, laugh with, cry with, and cheer for long after you've finished the book. --Candy Paape

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:26:38 -0400)

Hurtled back through time more than two hundred years to Scotland in 1743, Claire Randall finds herself caught in the midst of an unfamiliar world torn apart by violence, pestilence, and revolution and haunted by her growing feelings for James Fraser, a young soldier.… (more)

Diana Gabaldon is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Outlander by Diana Gabaldon was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,308,130 books! | Top bar: Always visible