Outlander by Diana Gabaldon

Outlander (1991)

by Diana Gabaldon

Series: Outlander (1)

14,660724136 (4.25)2 / 953
    Into the Wilderness by Sara Donati (pollywannabook)
    pollywannabook: The closest thing to Outlander out there. Diana Gabaldon even lent out the character of Claire for a cameo in this book
    The Winter Sea by Susanna Kearsley (Iudita)
    Timeline by Michael Crichton (leahsimone)
    A Discovery of Witches: A Novel by Deborah Harkness (Anonymous user, SunnySD)
    The Bronze Horseman by Paullina Simons (littlebear514)
    littlebear514: Although the stories are COMPLETELY different; the writing is of the same quality and the stories are both deeply involved.
    Wildfire at Midnight by Mary Stewart (LiddyGally)
    LiddyGally: I recommend this book because the writing styles are in a similar vein rather than the stories being the same. Both, however, are set in the wilds of Scotland.
    The River of No Return by Bee Ridgway (redheadedali)
    Overseas by Beatriz Williams (becksdakex)
    becksdakex: Romance and time travel.
    The House on the Strand by Daphne du Maurier (aynar)
    aynar: Much better example of time travel.
    Son of the Morning by Linda Howard (amyblue)
    Outlander Kitchen: The Official Outlander Companion Cookbook by Theresa Carle-Sanders (karensmiththomas)
    The Legend of Lady MacLaoch by Becky Banks (elbakerone)
    elbakerone: Though Banks' novel is set in present day (and is considerably shorter), the love story with the gorgeous backdrop of Scotland was reminiscent of Gabaldon's series.
    Mary Queen of Scotland and the Isles by Margaret George (MissBrangwen)
    The Rose Garden by Susanna Kearsley (jennyj271)
    Lady of Hay by Barbara Erskine (Yells)
    Vrouwe van Llyn by Jane Watt (margarethmiwy)
    Midwife of the Blue Ridge by Christine Blevins (Joles)
    The Winter Rose by Jennifer Donnelly (fyrefly98)
    fyrefly98: Historical romance, hooray!
    In a Wild Wood by Sasha Lord (Jenson_AKA_DL)
    Jenson_AKA_DL: If you enjoyed the romance between Clare and Jamie I think you'll also enjoy this Highlander romance.
    The Dark Queen by Susan Carroll (infiniteletters)

English (713)  German (6)  Dutch (5)  Italian (3)  French (3)  Tagalog (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Finnish (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (734)
Actual rating 3.5 stars-- ( )
  LisaAnn805 | Jul 23, 2016 |
Outlander by Diana Galbaldon is probably the best historical fiction that I have read in quite awhile. It is the story of Claire (post WWII USA) and Jamie (1700's Scottish Highlands). Yes, there is one episode of time travel-2 pages. I am NOT a fan of time travel at all, but it worked in this story. Claire finds herself in the middle of tensions/war between the British and the Scots. She is rescued from a sadistic English Captain by Jamie (James) Fraser. It is a story of love and war. Again, I'm not into romance, but this is not a cheesy romance novel, either. This is a one year journey taken by these two people that begins in Scotland and ends in Rome? (suggested at the end of this book). It is love that transcends boundaries; it is unconditional. Pretty good for not being a love story, eh? I really liked this book because I am a historian even teaching about James II's abdication and Charles II ascension to the throne. Of course, I only knew the story from the British perspective, until now. I loved that it dropped names that and I knew and others that I didn't; which I had to research. The book seems to be researched thoroughly and very accurately. The book is graphic and gut-wrenching but fairly depicts life in the Highlands in the 1700's. ( )
  tess_schoolmarm | Jul 23, 2016 |
Read from December 04 to 11, 2014
So as usual, I’m a little late to the Outlander party. I had never really heard much about it before but would sometimes see it here and there on different book lists. It sounded like something I would like but I never thought much about reading it. Finally one day, I saw it at Target and decided it was time to give in and read it. Before I started reading the book I browsed through some of the reviews on Goodreads and was a little surprised to find what people were saying about it. At least the negative thoughts. A lot of people were upset about the rape and attempted rape scenes, the beatings and all of that… which is understandable in our society now. But back in the time period that Gabaldon was writing about…. those things were just a part of life. But anyways…. I don’t want to open up that can of worms so moving on…
I have to say that after reading some of the reviews on Goodreads I was a little apprehensive about the book. But as I continued reading, I didn’t want to put it down. Sure there were some pretty hairy situations with floggings and attempted rape but it does not make up the entirety of the book. Gabaldon easily grabbed my attention and kept it throughout the nearly 900 page novel. I am very eager to read the second, third, fourth, etc.

pennma05 | Jul 21, 2016 |
Historically accurate thrilling tale of adventure with quite a great deal of sex. ( )
  Martholamew1729 | Jul 17, 2016 |
Loved it at first and ended up very disappointed and frustrated. It jumps the shark at the end. But is wonderful at the beginning ( )
  unfufu | Jul 13, 2016 |
I absolutely loved this book. It was filled with action, adventure, and romance. I flew through the book and can't wait to read the rest of the series.
added by alaphi | editalaphi (Apr 3, 2016)

Een jonge, Engelse vrouw loopt kort na de Tweede Wereldoorlog tijdens een wandeling in de Schotse Hooglanden door een gespleten monoliet die deel uitmaakt van een magische cirkel. Hierdoor komt ze terecht in het turbulente Schotland van 1743 en trouwt om aan een wisse dood te ontsnappen een vogelvrij verklaarde Sejot. Beiden worden opgejaagd door een sadistische kapitein van de Engelse dragonders, maar kunnen na tal van avonturen en in het besef dat de loop van de geschiedenis veranderd kan worden, een nieuw bestaan opbouwen. Een fascinerende historische roman, waarin de auteur liefde, seks, romantiek, spanning en avontuur tot een boeiend geheel heeft samengevoegd. Goede tekening van de historische achtergrond. Een meeslepend verhaal.
added by Liyanna | editBiblion

Kuby, GabrieleÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Porter, DavinaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Regös, FerencCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sallamo-Lavi, AnuirmeliTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
People disappear all the time. Ask any policeman. Better yet, ask a journalist. Disappearances are bread-and-butter to journalists.
Young girls run away from home. Young children stray from their parents and are never seen again. Housewives reach the end of their tether and take the grocery money and a taxi to the station. International financiers change their names and vanish into the smoke of imported cigars.
Many of the lost will be found, eventually, dead or alive. Disappearances, after all, have explanations.
Usually.
To the Memory of My Mother,
Who Taught Me to Read —
Jacqueline Sykes Gabaldon
It wasn't a very likely place for disappearances, at least at first glance.
Prologue ------ People disappear all the time.
'Outlander' was published in the UK as 'Cross Stitch'.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0385319959, Paperback)

In Outlander, a 600-page time-travel romance, strong-willed and sensual Claire Randall leads a double life with a husband in one century, and a lover in another. Torn between fidelity and desire, she struggles to understand the pure intent of her heart. But don't let the number of pages and the Scottish dialect scare you. It's one of the fastest reads you'll have in your library.

While on her second honeymoon in the British Isles, Claire touches a boulder that hurls her back in time to the forbidden Castle Leoch with the MacKenzie clan. Not understanding the forces that brought her there, she becomes ensnared in life-threatening situations with a Scots warrior named James Fraser. But it isn't all spies and drudgery that she must endure. For amid her new surroundings and the terrors she faces, she is lured into love and passion like she's never known before.

I was lame and sore in every muscle when I woke next morning. I shuffled to the privy closet, then to the wash basin. My innards felt like churned butter. It felt as though I had been beaten with a blunt object, I reflected, then thought that that was very near the truth. The blunt object in question was visible as I came back to bed, looking now relatively harmless. Its possessor [Jamie] woke as I sat next to him, and examined me with something that looked very much like male smugness."
Gabaldon creates characters that you'll remember, laugh with, cry with, and cheer for long after you've finished the book. --Candy Paape

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:45 -0400)

Hurtled back through time more than two hundred years to Scotland in 1743, Claire Randall finds herself caught in the midst of an unfamiliar world torn apart by violence, pestilence, and revolution and haunted by her growing feelings for James Fraser, a young soldier.… (more)

Diana Gabaldon is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Outlander by Diana Gabaldon was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 107,510,515 books! | Top bar: Always visible