Outlander by Diana Gabaldon

Outlander (1991)

by Diana Gabaldon

Series: Outlander (1)

12,193541207 (4.29)2 / 827
Recently added byCorinasQuill, SpineCracker, private library, InTooBooks, e-zReader, ASmithey
    Into the Wilderness by Sara Donati (pollywannabook)
    pollywannabook: The closest thing to Outlander out there. Diana Gabaldon even lent out the character of Claire for a cameo in this book
    The Winter Sea by Susanna Kearsley (Iudita)
    A Discovery of Witches by Deborah Harkness (Anonymous user, SunnySD)
    Timeline by Michael Crichton (leahsimone)
    The Bronze Horseman by Paullina Simons (littlebear514)
    littlebear514: Although the stories are COMPLETELY different; the writing is of the same quality and the stories are both deeply involved.
    The River of No Return by Bee Ridgway (redheadedali)
    Lady of Hay by Barbara Erskine (bucketyell)
    Overseas by Beatriz Williams (becksdakex)
    becksdakex: Romance and time travel.
    Wildfire at Midnight by Mary Stewart (LiddyGally)
    LiddyGally: I recommend this book because the writing styles are in a similar vein rather than the stories being the same. Both, however, are set in the wilds of Scotland.
    Son of the Morning by Linda Howard (amyblue)
    The Legend of Lady MacLaoch by Becky Banks (elbakerone)
    elbakerone: Though Banks' novel is set in present day (and is considerably shorter), the love story with the gorgeous backdrop of Scotland was reminiscent of Gabaldon's series.
    The Dark Queen by Susan Carroll (infiniteletters)
    Mary Queen of Scotland and the Isles by Margaret George (MissBrangwen)
    The House on the Strand by Daphne du Maurier (aynar)
    aynar: Much better example of time travel.
    Midwife of the Blue Ridge by Christine Blevins (Joles)
    The Winter Rose by Jennifer Donnelly (fyrefly98)
    fyrefly98: Historical romance, hooray!
    In a Wild Wood by Sasha Lord (Jenson_AKA_DL)
    Jenson_AKA_DL: If you enjoyed the romance between Clare and Jamie I think you'll also enjoy this Highlander romance.
    Vrouwe van Llyn by Jane Watt (margarethmiwy)
    11/22/63 by Stephen King (mene)
    mene: Both books are about time travel through a kind of portal. In both books, the time traveller finds love on the other side, but the effects of the time travel and the way it works are different. In King's book, the time traveller also actively tries to change history, while in Gabaldon's book, the time traveller uses her knowledge of future events a lot less actively.… (more)
    Reflections in the Nile by J. Suzanne Frank (infiniteletters)

English (524)  German (5)  Dutch (4)  French (3)  Italian (3)  Tagalog (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  All languages (541)
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Knowing how much I like to read, people have been recommending Outlander to me for years. I never seemed to have time to read such a long book though and knowing that it is a romance had me wondering if it would be worth the time. I won a copy through the Library Thing Early Reviewer program and gave it a go. I enjoyed the story and the characters although the sex and violence were certainly more graphic than I am used to. While the sex scenes did put me off the book a bit I realize that this is a matter of personal preference. I do want to read the next book in the series, Dragonfly in Amber, to see if the characters and story can continue to hold my interest. ( )
  DonnerLibrary | Aug 24, 2014 |
After hearing so much about the Outlander books- and now the new TV show- I picked this up with high expectations. For the most part these expectations were met, but I did have a few naggling issues with the book. I had no problem suspending disbelief for the time-traveling aspects (after all, this is the stuff that my childhood fantasies were made of), but I did have some trouble believing that Claire acted the way she did and was able to assimilate so easily to life two hundred years before her time. [SPOILER]: I had problems with the beating scene, and feel that it was not consistent with Claire's character to forgive Jamie so readily after it. It was a jarring episode in the story, and it was never dealt with in a believable way. I mean, he basically beats/rapes her into submission, and then throughout the book talks about how he could never bear to hurt her or see her hurt. Really put a damper on the whole story for me.
I also thought a lot of the exposition/ back story dialog concerning Jamie’s childhood and history was a bit repetitive; it seemed like more often than not a detailed inventory of all the occasions when he was physically abused throughout his life.

These issues aside, I found the book deeply engaging and devoured the whole thing in the space of three days. Gabaldon does a fantastic job painting the setting of the Scottish highlands in the 1740s, and you do really feel as if you are there. I will definitely be picking up the next book in the series as soon as I get the chance. ( )
  Tess_Elizabeth | Aug 23, 2014 |
This book was highly recommended by a co-worker.

I very much enjoyed the first book of the Outlander series. The premise and setting was slightly different from what I usually read but it was certainly full of adventure.

It took a little while but I eventually caught onto the Scottish/English language that was used throughout. I like that it adds to the authenticity of the storyline, making it seem more realistic. The story develops at a fairly consistent rate, with no lag or slow parts, everything that happened adds to the overall storyline.

I absolutely adore the characters, primary and secondary (OK maybe not Jack Randall!). The characters were very well developed and we got to know some of them quite well. You have to hand it to Claire, who was able to transition fairly well (where very few would) from post World War II back to the 1700s. As an independent, strong willed (stubborn if you will) and intelligent female, she certainly does what she can in a male dominated and often times wild society. Although, I have to admit she courts trouble time after time. Jamie Fraser is quite the character, from his tragic teenage years to his strong determination to protect those dear to him. However, it does seem like he is always getting into trouble, but hey it does keep the story going.

There are certainly a lot of mysteries to be divulged throughout the rest of the series and I eagerly await to discover them. Especially more about the stones and this whole time traveling thing. ( )
  Dream24 | Aug 21, 2014 |
My mom had been trying to get me to read these books for ages, but they were always too fat to me. So as soon as I got my kindle, and couldn't see how long they were, I decided to give it a shot. I really enjoyed this book! It's an easy read, with an interesting premise and and likeable characters (I particularly like Jamie). I'm curious to see how the next book is going to go! ( )
  sammii507 | Aug 19, 2014 |
Trigger warnings: rape, physical abuse

This is another one where I think if I had come across it when I was 20, I probably would have eaten it with a spoon. As it is, this old fart has been around the block too many times to accept scenarios in which abuse is presented as a way to engender respect and in which rape (threatened or actual, male or female) is used as a plot device.

Look, I understand that "life was like that" back the 1740s. Life is still like that, unfortunately. Doesn't mean that writers, especially female writers, have a free pass to rely on these very, very tired methods to drive their plots. Every unnecessary instance of rape both sensationalizes it and desensitizes readers to it. We writers can do better than this, and we readers should expect better than this.

It's a real shame, too, because there is a lot to like here: Gabaldon paints beautiful pictures of life in both 1945 and 1745 Scotland, for example. The writing in general is very good, too. I do think at 600+ pages, it could have been tightened. Claire herself is a great character, right up until the beating. At the beginning of the story, she's a battle-scarred nurse: resilient, independent, authoritative, competent. Afterwards, she's a loyal woman "in love." She has no agenda of her own any longer, no goals other than to be a good wife. Blech.

I could have used less lust and way more about the political intrigues of the time, the backstory of the town "witch," etc. Your mileage may vary, of course. I'd recommend this book to historical fiction fans who won't be triggered and who like lots of sex scenes. ( )
1 vote Pat_F. | Aug 18, 2014 |

Diana Gabaldonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Anastassatos, MariettaCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Carbain, JeanCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Porter, DavinaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sallamo-Lavi, AnuirmeliTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
People disappear all the time. Ask any policeman. Better yet, ask a journalist. Disappearances are bread-and-butter to journalists.
Young girls run away from home. Young children stray from their parents and are never seen again. Housewives reach the end of their tether and take the grocery money and a taxi to the station. International financiers change their names and vanish into the smoke of imported cigars.
Many of the lost will be found, eventually, dead or alive. Disappearances, after all, have explanations.
Usually.
To the Memory of My Mother,
Who Taught Me to Read —
Jacqueline Sykes Gabaldon
It wasn't a very likely place for disappearances, at least at first glance.
Prologue ------ People disappear all the time.
'Outlander' was published in the UK as 'Cross Stitch'.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0385319959, Paperback)

In Outlander, a 600-page time-travel romance, strong-willed and sensual Claire Randall leads a double life with a husband in one century, and a lover in another. Torn between fidelity and desire, she struggles to understand the pure intent of her heart. But don't let the number of pages and the Scottish dialect scare you. It's one of the fastest reads you'll have in your library.

While on her second honeymoon in the British Isles, Claire touches a boulder that hurls her back in time to the forbidden Castle Leoch with the MacKenzie clan. Not understanding the forces that brought her there, she becomes ensnared in life-threatening situations with a Scots warrior named James Fraser. But it isn't all spies and drudgery that she must endure. For amid her new surroundings and the terrors she faces, she is lured into love and passion like she's never known before.

I was lame and sore in every muscle when I woke next morning. I shuffled to the privy closet, then to the wash basin. My innards felt like churned butter. It felt as though I had been beaten with a blunt object, I reflected, then thought that that was very near the truth. The blunt object in question was visible as I came back to bed, looking now relatively harmless. Its possessor [Jamie] woke as I sat next to him, and examined me with something that looked very much like male smugness."
Gabaldon creates characters that you'll remember, laugh with, cry with, and cheer for long after you've finished the book. --Candy Paape

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:26:38 -0400)

Hurtled back through time more than two hundred years to Scotland in 1743, Claire Randall finds herself caught in the midst of an unfamiliar world torn apart by violence, pestilence, and revolution and haunted by her growing feelings for James Fraser, a young soldier.… (more)

Diana Gabaldon is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Outlander by Diana Gabaldon was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,330,886 books! | Top bar: Always visible