Outlander by Diana Gabaldon

Outlander (1991)

by Diana Gabaldon

Series: Outlander (1)

12,339554205 (4.29)2 / 843
    Into the Wilderness by Sara Donati (pollywannabook)
    pollywannabook: The closest thing to Outlander out there. Diana Gabaldon even lent out the character of Claire for a cameo in this book
    The Winter Sea by Susanna Kearsley (Iudita)
    A Discovery of Witches by Deborah Harkness (Anonymous user, SunnySD)
    Timeline by Michael Crichton (leahsimone)
    The Bronze Horseman by Paullina Simons (littlebear514)
    littlebear514: Although the stories are COMPLETELY different; the writing is of the same quality and the stories are both deeply involved.
    The River of No Return by Bee Ridgway (redheadedali)
    Son of the Morning by Linda Howard (amyblue)
    Overseas by Beatriz Williams (becksdakex)
    becksdakex: Romance and time travel.
    Wildfire at Midnight by Mary Stewart (LiddyGally)
    LiddyGally: I recommend this book because the writing styles are in a similar vein rather than the stories being the same. Both, however, are set in the wilds of Scotland.
    Lady of Hay by Barbara Erskine (bucketyell)
    Mary Queen of Scotland and the Isles by Margaret George (MissBrangwen)
    The House on the Strand by Daphne du Maurier (aynar)
    aynar: Much better example of time travel.
    The Firebird by Susanna Kearsley (LAKobow)
    LAKobow: Also involves elements of realism mixed with fantasy, Scotland, romance, and historical fiction.
    The Legend of Lady MacLaoch by Becky Banks (elbakerone)
    elbakerone: Though Banks' novel is set in present day (and is considerably shorter), the love story with the gorgeous backdrop of Scotland was reminiscent of Gabaldon's series.
    The Dark Queen by Susan Carroll (infiniteletters)
    In a Wild Wood by Sasha Lord (Jenson_AKA_DL)
    Jenson_AKA_DL: If you enjoyed the romance between Clare and Jamie I think you'll also enjoy this Highlander romance.
    The Winter Rose by Jennifer Donnelly (fyrefly98)
    fyrefly98: Historical romance, hooray!
    Midwife of the Blue Ridge by Christine Blevins (Joles)
    Vrouwe van Llyn by Jane Watt (margarethmiwy)
    InuYasha, Volume 1 by Rumiko Takahashi (mene)
    mene: Both stories are about a female protagonist who travels a few hundred years to the past and meets a male whom she falls in love with. In both stories, the female protagonist travels back and forth to the past and her own time. "Inuyasha" is historical fantasy (it includes demons) and "Outlander" is historical fiction (the main characters get involved in historical events).… (more)

English (539)  German (5)  Dutch (4)  French (3)  Italian (3)  Tagalog (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  All languages (556)
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Well blow me down, I finally got this monster done!

Outlander took me a long time to get through and I had a hard time getting into it altogether due to the pacing. However once I hit page 300 it moved along much faster and Im glad I stuck with it. The story has a great epic feel and I loved the development of Jamie as a character. I didn't like the ending that much, but I did fall in love with the characters.

Im for sure going to check out the show. ( )
  Tinasbookreviews | Sep 25, 2014 |
Man, oh man, did this one suck me in! I absolutely love the vivid descriptions of life in Scotland during 1743, although the blood and gore was a bit of a shock. I found myself skimming over several rather disturbing scenes, but overall, the book is excellent!!! I especially loved reading about all of the natural medical treatments, being someone interested in naturopathic medicine. I can't wait to read Dragonfly in Amber so that I can discover what becomes of Jamie and Claire. ( )
  silva_44 | Sep 25, 2014 |
Boy was this a long book. Decided to listen to it because I've been watching the Starz series, which I like. While I liked the characters and setting a lot, I felt the book could have used quite a bit of editing. I got annoyed with both of the main characters by the end. Not sure if I will continue with the series or not. ( )
  hoosgracie | Sep 22, 2014 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Having originally read Outlander over 20 years ago, it's still a fantastic book that defies categorization. Re-reading it in the midst of the new Starz TV series added depth to both versions of the story. Outlander begins the tale of a WWII nurse who falls 200 years into the past after touching a stone in a stone circle at the top of a hill in Scotland. Arriving in 1743, she finds herself in the midst of a battle between Highland Scots and the British Army. While she wants nothing more than to return home to her husband, her presence stirs up many questions, and she is forced to marry a young Scottish man to avoid being taken prisoner by a ruthless British Army officer. This series has everything - drama, adventure, time travel, romance. Highly recommended, although it's wise not to sit down with one of Diana Gabaldon's tales if you can't devote the next few days to reading, as you won't want to put it down. ( )
  Christiana5 | Sep 21, 2014 |
I resisted starting this series for quite a few years. I suspected it was a bit too far on the romance side for my taste, and I wasn't enamored of the time-travel element, although I am a big fan of literary historical fiction. I decided to read (well, actually, listen to the audiobook of) Outlander along with viewing the new televised dramatization. On the whole, I enjoyed it--although it was indeed a bit fantastical and overly romantic with formulaic sex scenes. Nevertheless, Gabaldon has created vibrant, unique characters, and she brings 18th century Scotland to vigorous life. I certainly understand why so many readers--primarily women--have been so entranced by this series. I found the last quarter of the book particularly hard to take; I won't give anything away by providing details, but I will say that it took a turn that I felt was unnecessarily brutal. Will I read the next installment? Yes; in fact I've already downloaded it--but I will need to take a break first. ( )
1 vote Cariola | Sep 21, 2014 |

Diana Gabaldonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Anastassatos, MariettaCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Carbain, JeanCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Porter, DavinaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sallamo-Lavi, AnuirmeliTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
People disappear all the time. Ask any policeman. Better yet, ask a journalist. Disappearances are bread-and-butter to journalists.
Young girls run away from home. Young children stray from their parents and are never seen again. Housewives reach the end of their tether and take the grocery money and a taxi to the station. International financiers change their names and vanish into the smoke of imported cigars.
Many of the lost will be found, eventually, dead or alive. Disappearances, after all, have explanations.
Usually.
To the Memory of My Mother,
Who Taught Me to Read —
Jacqueline Sykes Gabaldon
It wasn't a very likely place for disappearances, at least at first glance.
Prologue ------ People disappear all the time.
'Outlander' was published in the UK as 'Cross Stitch'.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0385319959, Paperback)

In Outlander, a 600-page time-travel romance, strong-willed and sensual Claire Randall leads a double life with a husband in one century, and a lover in another. Torn between fidelity and desire, she struggles to understand the pure intent of her heart. But don't let the number of pages and the Scottish dialect scare you. It's one of the fastest reads you'll have in your library.

While on her second honeymoon in the British Isles, Claire touches a boulder that hurls her back in time to the forbidden Castle Leoch with the MacKenzie clan. Not understanding the forces that brought her there, she becomes ensnared in life-threatening situations with a Scots warrior named James Fraser. But it isn't all spies and drudgery that she must endure. For amid her new surroundings and the terrors she faces, she is lured into love and passion like she's never known before.

I was lame and sore in every muscle when I woke next morning. I shuffled to the privy closet, then to the wash basin. My innards felt like churned butter. It felt as though I had been beaten with a blunt object, I reflected, then thought that that was very near the truth. The blunt object in question was visible as I came back to bed, looking now relatively harmless. Its possessor [Jamie] woke as I sat next to him, and examined me with something that looked very much like male smugness."
Gabaldon creates characters that you'll remember, laugh with, cry with, and cheer for long after you've finished the book. --Candy Paape

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:26:38 -0400)

Hurtled back through time more than two hundred years to Scotland in 1743, Claire Randall finds herself caught in the midst of an unfamiliar world torn apart by violence, pestilence, and revolution and haunted by her growing feelings for James Fraser, a young soldier.… (more)

Diana Gabaldon is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Outlander by Diana Gabaldon was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,972,457 books! | Top bar: Always visible