Outlander by Diana Gabaldon

Outlander (1991)

by Diana Gabaldon

Series: Outlander (1)

18,208861155 (4.21)2 / 1122
Hurtled back through time more than two hundred years to Scotland in 1743, Claire Randall finds herself caught in the midst of an unfamiliar world torn apart by violence, pestilence, and revolution and haunted by her growing feelings for James Fraser, a young soldier.
    Into the Wilderness by Sara Donati (pollywannabook)
    pollywannabook: The closest thing to Outlander out there. Diana Gabaldon even lent out the character of Claire for a cameo in this book
    The Winter Sea by Susanna Kearsley (Iudita)
    Timeline by Michael Crichton (leahsimone)
    The River of No Return by Bee Ridgway (redheadedali)
    The House on the Strand by Daphne du Maurier (aynar)
    aynar: Much better example of time travel.
    Wildfire at Midnight by Mary Stewart (LiddyGally)
    LiddyGally: I recommend this book because the writing styles are in a similar vein rather than the stories being the same. Both, however, are set in the wilds of Scotland.
    A Discovery of Witches by Deborah Harkness (Anonymous user, SunnySD)
    The Bronze Horseman by Paullina Simons (littlebear514)
    littlebear514: Although the stories are COMPLETELY different; the writing is of the same quality and the stories are both deeply involved.
    Overseas by Beatriz Williams (becksdakex)
    becksdakex: Romance and time travel.
    Mary Queen of Scotland and the Isles by Margaret George (MissBrangwen)
    The Dark Queen by Susan Carroll (infiniteletters)
    The Rose Garden by Susanna Kearsley (jennyj271)
    Son of the Morning by Linda Howard (amyblue)
    The Song of Albion Collection: The Paradise War, The Silver Hand, and The Endless Knot by Stephen Lawhead (charlie68)
    charlie68: A story about a trip farther into Britain's past.
    Ross Poldark by Winston Graham (Anonymous user)
    Vrouwe van Llyn by Jane Watt (margarethmiwy)
    The Legend of Lady MacLaoch by Becky Banks (elbakerone)
    elbakerone: Though Banks' novel is set in present day (and is considerably shorter), the love story with the gorgeous backdrop of Scotland was reminiscent of Gabaldon's series.
    Midwife of the Blue Ridge by Christine Blevins (Joles)
    The Winter Rose by Jennifer Donnelly (fyrefly98)
    fyrefly98: Historical romance, hooray!
    In a Wild Wood by Sasha Lord (Jenson_AKA_DL)
    Jenson_AKA_DL: If you enjoyed the romance between Clare and Jamie I think you'll also enjoy this Highlander romance.

English (847)  German (6)  Dutch (6)  French (6)  Italian (3)  Portuguese (Portugal) (2)  Tagalog (1)  Swedish (1)  Finnish (1)  All languages (873)
Perhaps I am late to the show... I mean the book was written originally in 1991. If I had run across it then, I am sure I would have read it. I have always had a thing for time travel and highlanders.

This book... I love it.

I really enjoy the natural curiosity of Claire Randall. She has a unique personality. She is very much an independent woman and fits well in the mid 40s where feminism is beginning. She respects her husband but makes her own choices.

This personality of hers is ultimately what causes the situation that brings about her going back in time.

Now.. to be absolutely honest. The historical accuracy of male female relationships in the mid 1700s is most likely dead on. Men treated women as possessions. Yes, even sexy, highlanders. There are a few instances that sexual assault is an issue. As soon as Claire is sent back to 1743 Captain Jack Randal assaults her thinking she is a tramp. Is this politically correct? No. Is this acceptable? No. This is a story. This is character building. Are there lewd comments by the band of travelers that save her from the Redcoat captain? Yes. Do they act on it? No.

Historically, I believe Gabaldon kept to what very well could have happened. Claire finds herself in a position no faithful married woman that is strong-willed would ever want to be in. She does see that she has to compromise simply in order to survive. I don't say this to justify anything that was in the book. But, if you are going to read historical fiction, you have to have an understanding of the time period.

There is rape. There is spousal abuse. There is violence. There is talk of witchcraft.

Given that this book was originally written in 1991, it is written beautifully. I do not care for the end of the book because it is too graphic in my opinion. Watching the Starz series I have to skip the last 2 episodes because of it. But it is realistic to the time frame.

Gabaldon did her research and you can see it when it comes out. She makes Claire's character believable. Claire never gave up on returning to Frank, she survived. In surviving she ended up falling in love. Jaime can be a brut. Claire causes a change in him as their relationship deepens as well.

In all honesty, I am surprised with society as it is today that the series has had a resurgence. Except, Game of Thrones is pretty big too. ( )
  Writerftj | Jan 24, 2020 |
78 points/100 (4 stars/5).
Warning: sensitive topics such as rape and torture are discussed in this book (many times, at length. With many descriptions).

Claire, a former combat nurse, is living in 1945 Scotland after the war, when one day she is taken to 1743 Scotland. Her life is turned upside down in the space of moments. She has to learn to make a life for herself, without letting anyone know she is from the future.

This was unlike anything else I have read, probably ever. In the past 10 years, I have read at least 95% urban fantasy and epic fantasy by word count. This wasn't even in the same realm of story. It is really hard to even form how I feel about this book, because it is just so vastly different from what I normally read. It felt neither good nor bad to me. The writing was really well done, the story was plotted out fantastically, the characters felt like real people. I'm just not certain how much I personally cared for it was, and how much I would seek out further stories like this so far.

The biggest difference, perhaps, is that I kept wanting the book to just get to where it is going. But, this is not that type of story. There is not a big payoff at the end of this book. This is not some grand adventure. This is a story of real life. This is the story of a life. This is the story of a journey, not to a specific journey, but just as life takes the main characters. I had to convert my entire mindset of a book in order to start to enjoy this. This book doesn't even have a real, proper ending. It ends on a decision being made. Just so not what I have come to expect from a book.

Claire is a nice change from what I typically read, because she is a nurse turned doctor in the 1700s. She is a healer, and there is a lot of healing to go around in this book. She brings modern medical practices (well modern for the 1940s, at the very least), such as simple things like washing your hands to the past. There is, however, only so much she can do. There is no penicillin, she has to rely on natural antibiotics like garlic. There is no x-ray, she has to rely on feel. There are opioids, but they aren't like we know them as, and she has to be careful with them.

There are some things about this story I really don't care for. For one, she accepts what is going on way, way too readily. At first it was shock, I'm sure, because who expects to be transported to the past. But, once she comes to accept she is in the past, that is it. There is barely any even thinking to herself that this sure is a weird situation she has ended up in. There are almost no culture shocks. There are basically no slip ups. Claire seems to move about in a world 200 years in the past with relative ease. While there are language barriers due to other languages, there are no language barriers with English itself, which just does not seem plausible, because I know they used different words for certain things back then. Also, I cannot believe that she is not being looked at weirdly, in Scotland, for not being religious. There are little things like all of those that make me look deeper into the story than perhaps I should.

Unfortunately, so far I don't really care overmuch about Claire. At least, I don't care for some of the decisions she makes throughout the book. It would be nice for her to spend more than five minutes prior to the end of the book wondering about her husband in the modern day, for example. She hasn't even started to worry what would happen if she got pregnant in the past, and what that would mean without modern medicine practices. She seems so caught up in the moment, never caring for the future or the past, that I have a hard time connecting with her. There would be a million things running on in my mind if I were in her place, but she seems so serene about it all. She is a bit of an odd, inconsistent women. In one moment, she will "know her place" as a lady of the 1700s, and then in the moment her "modern sensibilities" will kick in and cause a hell of a lot of trouble. She flips back and forth in these modes like some kind of bipolar attack, it felt like. It was very odd to read.

I like Jaime as a person, and as a romantic interest for Claire, I suppose he is good for her. In a weird way. He is a strong character, with a very painful past. I..won't say I enjoy reading about his past and what he does throughout the book, because that would be cruel to Jaime. Instead, I appreciate him as a character. On his own, he adds a lot of depth to this story. At times, he does feel a bit too swiss army knife. He has every skillset he needs for every part of the story. Need someone strong? Jaime. Need a translator for any language? Jaime. Need a lover? Jaime. Need someone who has traveled all over Europe and happens to knows everyone in Scotland? Jaime. Basically, any situation that needs someone other than Claire to solve, Jaime is there to pick up the slack. Claire, herself, is an odd mixture of independent and strangely over-dependent on Jaime. She latches onto him in the beginning of the book, and we really don't see much of anyone else at all because she is always orbiting around Jaime instead. At times there only felt like there were two characters in the entire book, because the only one Claire ever focused on was Jaime. Every scene centers around him.

I've brought up the plot, and how it isn't a plot that is going anywhere. That is true. However, there is tons that happen in this book (as one might hope in a book that is nearly 300k words long). It really is a journey. Claire finds out what she is going to do (namely, become a doctor) and who she is going to (Jaime). She makes mistakes along the way, they all do. There are high stakes involved, since the English captain, Jonathan Randall, wants to know where she came from and who she is spying for. Claire becomes a part of Scotland in this story. Through marriage, through family, through being a traveling physician. There is a lot that happens. Just not all of it interesting from one that typically reads a very, very different type of story. There weren't many lulls in the story where I didn't care in the moment. There were no parts I really didn't wish happened in the first place. But, looking back, I couldn't tell you half of the specifics. Just, there were a lot of things that happened, and not all of it interesting looking back.

I just still cannot get over how easily Claire accept what was going on and how easily she slipped into this life. She even had the chance to go back, and she didn't (which, I suppose, is a spoiler). I just. I don't understand this part. I'm having a really, really hard time accepting this part. And, there are quite a few other (spoiler-full) parts to this book that I have trouble accepting. This just.. tops everything. It is ruining my suspension of disbelief.

I'm going to keep going, because the story has caught my attention. I just still don't know what to think of it. ( )
  keikii | Jan 23, 2020 |
Love this totally great OUTLANDER except for the excessive sick Randall violence. ( )
  m.belljackson | Jan 4, 2020 |
Took me about 100 pages to get fully invested in the story. Then I couldn't put it down. ( )
  C.Slade | Dec 26, 2019 |
I have regrets. ( )
  pseudosarka | Dec 8, 2019 |
I absolutely loved this book. It was filled with action, adventure, and romance. I flew through the book and can't wait to read the rest of the series.
added by alaphi | editalaphi (Apr 3, 2016)

Een jonge, Engelse vrouw loopt kort na de Tweede Wereldoorlog tijdens een wandeling in de Schotse Hooglanden door een gespleten monoliet die deel uitmaakt van een magische cirkel. Hierdoor komt ze terecht in het turbulente Schotland van 1743 en trouwt om aan een wisse dood te ontsnappen een vogelvrij verklaarde Sejot. Beiden worden opgejaagd door een sadistische kapitein van de Engelse dragonders, maar kunnen na tal van avonturen en in het besef dat de loop van de geschiedenis veranderd kan worden, een nieuw bestaan opbouwen. Een fascinerende historische roman, waarin de auteur liefde, seks, romantiek, spanning en avontuur tot een boeiend geheel heeft samengevoegd. Goede tekening van de historische achtergrond. Een meeslepend verhaal.
added by Liyanna | editBiblion

Kuby, GabrieleÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Porter, DavinaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Regös, FerencCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sallamo-Lavi, AnuirmeliTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
People disappear all the time. Ask any policeman. Better yet, ask a journalist. Disappearances are bread-and-butter to journalists.
Young girls run away from home. Young children stray from their parents and are never seen again. Housewives reach the end of their tether and take the grocery money and a taxi to the station. International financiers change their names and vanish into the smoke of imported cigars.
Many of the lost will be found, eventually, dead or alive. Disappearances, after all, have explanations.
Usually.
To the Memory of My Mother,
Who Taught Me to Read —
Jacqueline Sykes Gabaldon
It wasn't a very likely place for disappearances, at least at first glance.
Prologue ------ People disappear all the time.
'Outlander' was published in the UK as 'Cross Stitch'.

Traveling in time
Clare falls in love with Jamie
Must choose if she stays
(BekiLynn)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Diana Gabaldon's book Outlander was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

LibraryThing Member Giveaway

Diana Gabaldon's book Outlander was available from LibraryThing Member Giveaway.

Diana Gabaldon is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 141,756,701 books! | Top bar: Always visible