Outlander by Diana Gabaldon

Outlander (original 1991; edition 1992)

by Diana Gabaldon

12,747591186 (4.28)2 / 880
Member:richardderus
Title:Outlander
Authors:Diana Gabaldon
Info:Dell (1992), Mass Market Paperback, 896 pages
Tags:box 10

Outlander by Diana Gabaldon (1991)

Into the Wilderness by Sara Donati (pollywannabook)
    pollywannabook: The closest thing to Outlander out there. Diana Gabaldon even lent out the character of Claire for a cameo in this book
    The Winter Sea by Susanna Kearsley (Iudita)
    A Discovery of Witches by Deborah Harkness (Anonymous user, SunnySD)
    Timeline by Michael Crichton (leahsimone)
    The River of No Return by Bee Ridgway (redheadedali)
    The Bronze Horseman by Paullina Simons (littlebear514)
    littlebear514: Although the stories are COMPLETELY different; the writing is of the same quality and the stories are both deeply involved.
    Wildfire at Midnight by Mary Stewart (LiddyGally)
    LiddyGally: I recommend this book because the writing styles are in a similar vein rather than the stories being the same. Both, however, are set in the wilds of Scotland.
    Overseas by Beatriz Williams (becksdakex)
    becksdakex: Romance and time travel.
    Son of the Morning by Linda Howard (amyblue)
    The Legend of Lady MacLaoch by Becky Banks (elbakerone)
    elbakerone: Though Banks' novel is set in present day (and is considerably shorter), the love story with the gorgeous backdrop of Scotland was reminiscent of Gabaldon's series.
    Mary Queen of Scotland and the Isles by Margaret George (MissBrangwen)
    The Firebird by Susanna Kearsley (LAKobow)
    LAKobow: Also involves elements of realism mixed with fantasy, Scotland, romance, and historical fiction.
    The House on the Strand by Daphne du Maurier (aynar)
    aynar: Much better example of time travel.
    Lady of Hay by Barbara Erskine (bucketyell)
    Midwife of the Blue Ridge by Christine Blevins (Joles)
    The Dark Queen by Susan Carroll (infiniteletters)
    The Winter Rose by Jennifer Donnelly (fyrefly98)
    fyrefly98: Historical romance, hooray!
    Vrouwe van Llyn by Jane Watt (margarethmiwy)
    In a Wild Wood by Sasha Lord (Jenson_AKA_DL)
    Jenson_AKA_DL: If you enjoyed the romance between Clare and Jamie I think you'll also enjoy this Highlander romance.
    Reflections in the Nile by J. Suzanne Frank (infiniteletters)

English (576)  German (6)  Dutch (4)  Italian (3)  French (3)  Tagalog (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Finnish (1)  All languages (595)
The book came highly recommended and as I'm not a TV watcher, I was not familiar with the series. The main character is transported through time and encounters members of the same families along the way. The book contains romance, war, female rivalry, religion and other topics that make a good read. I would recommend getting the hardback because it is hard to read a paperback this thick without breaking the spine and losing pages. ( )
  nmaners | Jan 17, 2015 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I loved this book. Fantasy, time travel, romance, historical fiction—what more could you ask for. The book starts in 1945 in Scotland. The war has ended. Claire Randall, a former combat nurse, has reunited with her husband and is now on a second honeymoon (with her husband Frank researching some relatives of the past). Claire walks through a standing stone in one of the ancient circles that dot Britain. Hurled back in time, 1743 to be exact, by forces she cannot understand, Claire is catapulted into the intrigues of lairds and spies that may threaten her life. Suddenly she is a Sassenach—an “outlander”—in a Scotland torn by war. Soon she meets Jamie Frasier, and becomes involved with him in a way she never imagined, despite she has a husband in her time that she cares for deeply. I found this book a great read, fast paced, interesting insights into the lives of those (particularly women) in both the 18th and 20th centuries. I didn’t want to finish this book, because I didn’t want to leave these characters behind. Lucky for me there are books to read in this series. 5 out of 5 stars. ( )
  marsap | Jan 12, 2015 |
At times it felt a bit longer than it needed to be, but if you're in the mood for not-too-heavy-not-too-light, somewhat over-the-top romance and adventure, this is the book for you--there's plenty of both, almost to the point of it being rather overwhelming. While my rational side wanted to shout 'enough already!!' at times, the book certainly kept me reading to the end. The characters are likable and it was fun to watch them interacting. I'm trying to decide whether I want to read more in the series--maybe later... ( )
  emanate28 | Jan 11, 2015 |
In some ways, it amazes me how much a person's taste in books can change over the years. I absolutely recognize why I loved this series when I first read it in high school - and all the times since - but if I had read this for the first time today, I probably would never have picked up book #2. I still love Claire and Jamie; they as individuals and as a couple are what hold this series together, in my opinion. But oh man, I do not remember all this violence and rape. I had to skim through 100 pages near to the end because I just didn't want to read about it. I'm going to have a hard time watching these episodes when the series comes to Starz..

Some of the impracticability bothered me this time around, and hasn't during past readings (not even the time travel parts, but the forced marriage and Claire's acceptance of sleeping with Jamie multiple times without much thought to Frank). All in all, this is still one of my favorite series of all times. I just read it with a different perspective this time around. ( )
  carebear10712 | Jan 8, 2015 |
First four chapters moved slowly and I was a bit confused why it was in historical 1945 when I'd been expecting 1700s. But once I got to the fantasy aspect in chapter four I couldn't put it down! lol
Love the books, and now love the show too:) ( )
  Iroquois.Girl | Jan 6, 2015 |

Diana Gabaldonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Anastassatos, MariettaCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Carbain, JeanCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Porter, DavinaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sallamo-Lavi, AnuirmeliTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
People disappear all the time. Ask any policeman. Better yet, ask a journalist. Disappearances are bread-and-butter to journalists.
Young girls run away from home. Young children stray from their parents and are never seen again. Housewives reach the end of their tether and take the grocery money and a taxi to the station. International financiers change their names and vanish into the smoke of imported cigars.
Many of the lost will be found, eventually, dead or alive. Disappearances, after all, have explanations.
Usually.
To the Memory of My Mother,
Who Taught Me to Read —
Jacqueline Sykes Gabaldon
It wasn't a very likely place for disappearances, at least at first glance.
Prologue ------ People disappear all the time.
'Outlander' was published in the UK as 'Cross Stitch'.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0385319959, Paperback)

In Outlander, a 600-page time-travel romance, strong-willed and sensual Claire Randall leads a double life with a husband in one century, and a lover in another. Torn between fidelity and desire, she struggles to understand the pure intent of her heart. But don't let the number of pages and the Scottish dialect scare you. It's one of the fastest reads you'll have in your library.

While on her second honeymoon in the British Isles, Claire touches a boulder that hurls her back in time to the forbidden Castle Leoch with the MacKenzie clan. Not understanding the forces that brought her there, she becomes ensnared in life-threatening situations with a Scots warrior named James Fraser. But it isn't all spies and drudgery that she must endure. For amid her new surroundings and the terrors she faces, she is lured into love and passion like she's never known before.

I was lame and sore in every muscle when I woke next morning. I shuffled to the privy closet, then to the wash basin. My innards felt like churned butter. It felt as though I had been beaten with a blunt object, I reflected, then thought that that was very near the truth. The blunt object in question was visible as I came back to bed, looking now relatively harmless. Its possessor [Jamie] woke as I sat next to him, and examined me with something that looked very much like male smugness."
Gabaldon creates characters that you'll remember, laugh with, cry with, and cheer for long after you've finished the book. --Candy Paape

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:26:38 -0400)

Hurtled back through time more than two hundred years to Scotland in 1743, Claire Randall finds herself caught in the midst of an unfamiliar world torn apart by violence, pestilence, and revolution and haunted by her growing feelings for James Fraser, a young soldier.… (more)

Diana Gabaldon is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Outlander by Diana Gabaldon was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,069,122 books! | Top bar: Always visible