Outlander by Diana Gabaldon

Outlander (original 1991; edition 1992)

by Diana Gabaldon

12,134533207 (4.29)2 / 822
Member:richardderus
Title:Outlander
Authors:Diana Gabaldon
Info:Dell (1992), Mass Market Paperback, 896 pages
Tags:box 10

Outlander by Diana Gabaldon (1991)

Into the Wilderness by Sara Donati (pollywannabook)
    pollywannabook: The closest thing to Outlander out there. Diana Gabaldon even lent out the character of Claire for a cameo in this book
    The Winter Sea by Susanna Kearsley (Iudita)
    A Discovery of Witches by Deborah Harkness (Anonymous user, SunnySD)
    Timeline by Michael Crichton (leahsimone)
    The Bronze Horseman by Paullina Simons (littlebear514)
    littlebear514: Although the stories are COMPLETELY different; the writing is of the same quality and the stories are both deeply involved.
    The River of No Return by Bee Ridgway (redheadedali)
    Lady of Hay by Barbara Erskine (bucketyell)
    Overseas by Beatriz Williams (becksdakex)
    becksdakex: Romance and time travel.
    Wildfire at Midnight by Mary Stewart (LiddyGally)
    LiddyGally: I recommend this book because the writing styles are in a similar vein rather than the stories being the same. Both, however, are set in the wilds of Scotland.
    Son of the Morning by Linda Howard (amyblue)
    The Legend of Lady MacLaoch by Becky Banks (elbakerone)
    elbakerone: Though Banks' novel is set in present day (and is considerably shorter), the love story with the gorgeous backdrop of Scotland was reminiscent of Gabaldon's series.
    The Dark Queen by Susan Carroll (infiniteletters)
    Mary Queen of Scotland and the Isles by Margaret George (MissBrangwen)
    The House on the Strand by Daphne du Maurier (aynar)
    aynar: Much better example of time travel.
    Midwife of the Blue Ridge by Christine Blevins (Joles)
    The Winter Rose by Jennifer Donnelly (fyrefly98)
    fyrefly98: Historical romance, hooray!
    In a Wild Wood by Sasha Lord (Jenson_AKA_DL)
    Jenson_AKA_DL: If you enjoyed the romance between Clare and Jamie I think you'll also enjoy this Highlander romance.
    Vrouwe van Llyn by Jane Watt (margarethmiwy)
    11/22/63 by Stephen King (mene)
    mene: Both books are about time travel through a kind of portal. In both books, the time traveller finds love on the other side, but the effects of the time travel and the way it works are different. In King's book, the time traveller also actively tries to change history, while in Gabaldon's book, the time traveller uses her knowledge of future events a lot less actively.… (more)
    Reflections in the Nile by J. Suzanne Frank (infiniteletters)

English (520)  German (5)  Dutch (4)  French (3)  Italian (3)  Tagalog (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  All languages (537)
Trigger warnings: rape, physical abuse

This is another one where I think if I had come across it when I was 20, I probably would have eaten it with a spoon. As it is, this old fart has been around the block too many times to accept scenarios in which abuse is presented as a way to engender respect and in which rape (threatened or actual, male or female) is used as a plot device.

Look, I understand that "life was like that" back the 1740s. Life is still like that, unfortunately. Doesn't mean that writers, especially female writers, have a free pass to rely on these very, very tired methods to drive their plots. Every unnecessary instance of rape both sensationalizes it and desensitizes readers to it. We writers can do better than this, and we readers should expect better than this.

It's a real shame, too, because there is a lot to like here: Gabaldon paints beautiful pictures of life in both 1945 and 1745 Scotland, for example. The writing in general is very good, too. I do think at 600+ pages, it could have been tightened. Claire herself is a great character, right up until the beating. At the beginning of the story, she's a battle-scarred nurse: resilient, independent, authoritative, competent. Afterwards, she's a loyal woman "in love." She has no agenda of her own any longer, no goals other than to be a good wife. Blech.

I could have used less lust and way more about the political intrigues of the time, the backstory of the town "witch," etc. Your mileage may vary, of course. I'd recommend this book to historical fiction fans who won't be triggered and who like lots of sex scenes. ( )
  Pat_F. | Aug 18, 2014 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I was thrilled to get Outlander through LibraryThing's Early Reviewer program. But I was very sad to find that the book - long considered a classic - did absolutely nothing for me.

I did not finish the book, though I did manage to hold out until Claire went back into the 18th Century. The pace was too slow, and I had no interest in what happened to the characters. I was unable to suspend my disbelief, and as someone who regularly reads sci-fi/fantasy, that's saying something. This book simply bored me, and I couldn't face slogging any farther into it. ( )
  anneb10 | Aug 11, 2014 |
I read this book years ago and loved it right away. It was quite a daunting length for me, at the time, but I never got bored with the plot or the characters. The historical aspects really interested me - I've always been drawn to history - so that in and of itself captured my interest. Also, the love story between Claire and Jamie is absolutely lovely. I think it was one of the first books I'd read in awhile that wasn't Young Adult or a Classic at the time I first read it (I was on a Jane Austen, Charlotte Bronte kick).

Some parts of the novel are hard to read, but that's simply because the subject matter of a specific event Jack Randall's violence towards both Jamie and Claire and his eventual rape of Jamie. Sometimes things like that can really turn me off of a book but I cared enough about the characters to keep reading the book and the series.

I've just re-read the book last month and I still enjoyed it just as much as the first time, though I'm more able to appreciate it now that I'm no longer a teenager (I was still in high school when I read it the first time).

P.S. I'm really looking forward to the Starz television adaptation of it. ( )
1 vote CaitlinAC | Aug 10, 2014 |
bodice-ripping fun! ( )
  KRoan | Jul 25, 2014 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I will confess that I had read this before, many years ago, and loved it then. I'd long since lost my copy (no doubt loaned out), so though I would see if I could both replace my copy, and take the chance to look at this book with older eyes. I was not disappointed. I don't tend to favor romances generally, though I do like historical fiction, especially when it features time periods I care about. Even then, I prefer the romance to add flavor, not be the main course. In that aspect this books fails, but I found I didn't care one bit. The story is engaging, the main character snarky, giving, insecure and arrogant by turns. I can identify with her a lot! The romance that drives the book blends gracefully with the historical setting (something rare in my experience), rather than overshadowing it, (a flaw which, absent here, can leave the history as a thin veneer over a stock romance). And, while my expertise is in medieval history, I have spent quite a lot of time mucking about with Scottish history as well (it was a near thing that the Middle Ages claimed me over Jacobite Scotland), and I can say that the history here seems sound, unprecedentedly so. The only thing I can think of that might not recommend this book is its sheer length, but to that let me say that you will be rewarded, and you will find it over long before you want it to be. ( )
1 vote Mithalogica | Jul 8, 2014 |

Diana Gabaldonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Anastassatos, MariettaCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Carbain, JeanCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Porter, DavinaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sallamo-Lavi, AnuirmeliTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
People disappear all the time. Ask any policeman. Better yet, ask a journalist. Disappearances are bread-and-butter to journalists.
Young girls run away from home. Young children stray from their parents and are never seen again. Housewives reach the end of their tether and take the grocery money and a taxi to the station. International financiers change their names and vanish into the smoke of imported cigars.
Many of the lost will be found, eventually, dead or alive. Disappearances, after all, have explanations.
Usually.
To the Memory of My Mother,
Who Taught Me to Read —
Jacqueline Sykes Gabaldon
It wasn't a very likely place for disappearances, at least at first glance.
Prologue ------ People disappear all the time.
'Outlander' was published in the UK as 'Cross Stitch'.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0385319959, Paperback)

In Outlander, a 600-page time-travel romance, strong-willed and sensual Claire Randall leads a double life with a husband in one century, and a lover in another. Torn between fidelity and desire, she struggles to understand the pure intent of her heart. But don't let the number of pages and the Scottish dialect scare you. It's one of the fastest reads you'll have in your library.

While on her second honeymoon in the British Isles, Claire touches a boulder that hurls her back in time to the forbidden Castle Leoch with the MacKenzie clan. Not understanding the forces that brought her there, she becomes ensnared in life-threatening situations with a Scots warrior named James Fraser. But it isn't all spies and drudgery that she must endure. For amid her new surroundings and the terrors she faces, she is lured into love and passion like she's never known before.

I was lame and sore in every muscle when I woke next morning. I shuffled to the privy closet, then to the wash basin. My innards felt like churned butter. It felt as though I had been beaten with a blunt object, I reflected, then thought that that was very near the truth. The blunt object in question was visible as I came back to bed, looking now relatively harmless. Its possessor [Jamie] woke as I sat next to him, and examined me with something that looked very much like male smugness."
Gabaldon creates characters that you'll remember, laugh with, cry with, and cheer for long after you've finished the book. --Candy Paape

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:26:38 -0400)

Hurtled back through time more than two hundred years to Scotland in 1743, Claire Randall finds herself caught in the midst of an unfamiliar world torn apart by violence, pestilence, and revolution and haunted by her growing feelings for James Fraser, a young soldier.… (more)

Diana Gabaldon is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Outlander by Diana Gabaldon was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,098,163 books! | Top bar: Always visible