Outlander by Diana Gabaldon

Outlander (original 1991; edition 1992)

by Diana Gabaldon

12,498577193 (4.28)2 / 871
Member:richardderus
Title:Outlander
Authors:Diana Gabaldon
Info:Dell (1992), Mass Market Paperback, 896 pages
Tags:box 10

Outlander by Diana Gabaldon (1991)

Into the Wilderness by Sara Donati (pollywannabook)
    pollywannabook: The closest thing to Outlander out there. Diana Gabaldon even lent out the character of Claire for a cameo in this book
    The Winter Sea by Susanna Kearsley (Iudita)
    A Discovery of Witches by Deborah Harkness (Anonymous user, SunnySD)
    Timeline by Michael Crichton (leahsimone)
    The Bronze Horseman by Paullina Simons (littlebear514)
    littlebear514: Although the stories are COMPLETELY different; the writing is of the same quality and the stories are both deeply involved.
    The River of No Return by Bee Ridgway (redheadedali)
    Son of the Morning by Linda Howard (amyblue)
    Overseas by Beatriz Williams (becksdakex)
    becksdakex: Romance and time travel.
    Wildfire at Midnight by Mary Stewart (LiddyGally)
    LiddyGally: I recommend this book because the writing styles are in a similar vein rather than the stories being the same. Both, however, are set in the wilds of Scotland.
    Lady of Hay by Barbara Erskine (bucketyell)
    Mary Queen of Scotland and the Isles by Margaret George (MissBrangwen)
    The House on the Strand by Daphne du Maurier (aynar)
    aynar: Much better example of time travel.
    The Firebird by Susanna Kearsley (LAKobow)
    LAKobow: Also involves elements of realism mixed with fantasy, Scotland, romance, and historical fiction.
    The Legend of Lady MacLaoch by Becky Banks (elbakerone)
    elbakerone: Though Banks' novel is set in present day (and is considerably shorter), the love story with the gorgeous backdrop of Scotland was reminiscent of Gabaldon's series.
    The Dark Queen by Susan Carroll (infiniteletters)
    In a Wild Wood by Sasha Lord (Jenson_AKA_DL)
    Jenson_AKA_DL: If you enjoyed the romance between Clare and Jamie I think you'll also enjoy this Highlander romance.
    The Winter Rose by Jennifer Donnelly (fyrefly98)
    fyrefly98: Historical romance, hooray!
    Midwife of the Blue Ridge by Christine Blevins (Joles)
    Vrouwe van Llyn by Jane Watt (margarethmiwy)
    InuYasha, Volume 1 by Rumiko Takahashi (mene)
    mene: Both stories are about a female protagonist who travels a few hundred years to the past and meets a male whom she falls in love with. In both stories, the female protagonist travels back and forth to the past and her own time. "Inuyasha" is historical fantasy (it includes demons) and "Outlander" is historical fiction (the main characters get involved in historical events).… (more)

English (563)  German (5)  Dutch (4)  French (3)  Italian (3)  Tagalog (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  All languages (580)
Loved it ( )
  amazzuca26 | Nov 16, 2014 |
3.5 stars

Claire is a British nurse during WWII. When her husband Frank returns home from the war, they head to Scotland to spend some time together. While there, Claire manages to go through some kind of portal only to find herself in the mid-1700s! While trying to figure out how to get back home, she falls in love with Highlander, Jamie.

I listened to the audio and it was good. The narrator did well with the various accents, I thought. The story was good, too, but it was very long and I did tend to lose focus plenty of times. I wasn't sure, as I listened, if I would continue the series, but I decided there was enough of interest likely coming up for it to be enough to decide to go ahead with book 2. ( )
  LibraryCin | Nov 11, 2014 |
I wasn't really sure what to expect from this novel. I did know that this was a historical romance but with a twist, due to the timeslip. I guess I was expecting to read more about the main characters feelings about being thrown back to 18th century life in the Highlands rather than her love-affair with a hulking, ginger Highlander. Surely being cast back to the 18th century must have been a terrifying experience? How did she learn to cope and to adjust? Everything about life there must have been very different, and to everyone else she should have stuck out like a sore thumb, right down to her hairstyle and speech. Instead she adapts to 18th century Highland life without many issues, establishes herself as a physician and gets very hot and steamy with her ginger Highlander. All her differences are dealt with by the Highlanders seemingly pegging her as an upper class English woman and her ability to cope with cold, drafty castles, vermin and questionable hygiene is put down to her having served as a nurse on the front during WWII, therefore being used to rough living. Ok so I can sort of buy that, and having said all of the above, the novel is actually well written and Davina Porters narration is superb, she really captures the voice of 1940's England. I purchased the kindle and audible bundle as this novel is quite hefty with over 800 pages, and buying into all the hype, was really looking forward to the immersive experience. Unfortunately, i regret that decision as this story was just too much of a romance novel for my taste. I kept on with it though as I was very curious to see where it goes and was hoping for some sort of ending that warrants all the hype. Unfortunately the story is unfinished and one must read the next installment to find out what happened. I think I will just watch the TV series instead. I have got too many good books on my to read list than to waste time with more of the same from the Outlander series. ( )
  TillyTenchwiggle | Nov 8, 2014 |
I loved the book, a true page turner. ( )
  Chellyboo73 | Nov 5, 2014 |
Wow! Amazing story! I was sucked into the story very quickly. I found myself on the edge of my seat as the characters work their way through the trials and triumphs. This is the kind of book that is very hard to put down. I am eager to read the next book in the series, and highly recommend this book to others ( )
  mnm123 | Nov 3, 2014 |

Diana Gabaldonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Anastassatos, MariettaCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Carbain, JeanCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Porter, DavinaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sallamo-Lavi, AnuirmeliTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
People disappear all the time. Ask any policeman. Better yet, ask a journalist. Disappearances are bread-and-butter to journalists.
Young girls run away from home. Young children stray from their parents and are never seen again. Housewives reach the end of their tether and take the grocery money and a taxi to the station. International financiers change their names and vanish into the smoke of imported cigars.
Many of the lost will be found, eventually, dead or alive. Disappearances, after all, have explanations.
Usually.
To the Memory of My Mother,
Who Taught Me to Read —
Jacqueline Sykes Gabaldon
It wasn't a very likely place for disappearances, at least at first glance.
Prologue ------ People disappear all the time.
'Outlander' was published in the UK as 'Cross Stitch'.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0385319959, Paperback)

In Outlander, a 600-page time-travel romance, strong-willed and sensual Claire Randall leads a double life with a husband in one century, and a lover in another. Torn between fidelity and desire, she struggles to understand the pure intent of her heart. But don't let the number of pages and the Scottish dialect scare you. It's one of the fastest reads you'll have in your library.

While on her second honeymoon in the British Isles, Claire touches a boulder that hurls her back in time to the forbidden Castle Leoch with the MacKenzie clan. Not understanding the forces that brought her there, she becomes ensnared in life-threatening situations with a Scots warrior named James Fraser. But it isn't all spies and drudgery that she must endure. For amid her new surroundings and the terrors she faces, she is lured into love and passion like she's never known before.

I was lame and sore in every muscle when I woke next morning. I shuffled to the privy closet, then to the wash basin. My innards felt like churned butter. It felt as though I had been beaten with a blunt object, I reflected, then thought that that was very near the truth. The blunt object in question was visible as I came back to bed, looking now relatively harmless. Its possessor [Jamie] woke as I sat next to him, and examined me with something that looked very much like male smugness."
Gabaldon creates characters that you'll remember, laugh with, cry with, and cheer for long after you've finished the book. --Candy Paape

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:26:38 -0400)

Hurtled back through time more than two hundred years to Scotland in 1743, Claire Randall finds herself caught in the midst of an unfamiliar world torn apart by violence, pestilence, and revolution and haunted by her growing feelings for James Fraser, a young soldier.… (more)

Diana Gabaldon is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Outlander by Diana Gabaldon was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,912,723 books! | Top bar: Always visible