Outlander by Diana Gabaldon

Outlander (original 1991; edition 1992)

by Diana Gabaldon

12,406569199 (4.28)2 / 860
Member:richardderus
Title:Outlander
Authors:Diana Gabaldon
Info:
Tags:box 10

Outlander by Diana Gabaldon (1991)

Into the Wilderness by Sara Donati (pollywannabook)
    pollywannabook: The closest thing to Outlander out there. Diana Gabaldon even lent out the character of Claire for a cameo in this book
    The Winter Sea by Susanna Kearsley (Iudita)
    A Discovery of Witches by Deborah Harkness (Anonymous user, SunnySD)
    Timeline by Michael Crichton (leahsimone)
    The Bronze Horseman by Paullina Simons (littlebear514)
    littlebear514: Although the stories are COMPLETELY different; the writing is of the same quality and the stories are both deeply involved.
    The River of No Return by Bee Ridgway (redheadedali)
    Son of the Morning by Linda Howard (amyblue)
    Overseas by Beatriz Williams (becksdakex)
    becksdakex: Romance and time travel.
    Wildfire at Midnight by Mary Stewart (LiddyGally)
    LiddyGally: I recommend this book because the writing styles are in a similar vein rather than the stories being the same. Both, however, are set in the wilds of Scotland.
    Lady of Hay by Barbara Erskine (bucketyell)
    Mary Queen of Scotland and the Isles by Margaret George (MissBrangwen)
    The House on the Strand by Daphne du Maurier (aynar)
    aynar: Much better example of time travel.
    The Firebird by Susanna Kearsley (LAKobow)
    LAKobow: Also involves elements of realism mixed with fantasy, Scotland, romance, and historical fiction.
    The Legend of Lady MacLaoch by Becky Banks (elbakerone)
    elbakerone: Though Banks' novel is set in present day (and is considerably shorter), the love story with the gorgeous backdrop of Scotland was reminiscent of Gabaldon's series.
    The Dark Queen by Susan Carroll (infiniteletters)
    In a Wild Wood by Sasha Lord (Jenson_AKA_DL)
    Jenson_AKA_DL: If you enjoyed the romance between Clare and Jamie I think you'll also enjoy this Highlander romance.
    The Winter Rose by Jennifer Donnelly (fyrefly98)
    fyrefly98: Historical romance, hooray!
    Midwife of the Blue Ridge by Christine Blevins (Joles)
    Vrouwe van Llyn by Jane Watt (margarethmiwy)
    InuYasha, Volume 1 by Rumiko Takahashi (mene)
    mene: Both stories are about a female protagonist who travels a few hundred years to the past and meets a male whom she falls in love with. In both stories, the female protagonist travels back and forth to the past and her own time. "Inuyasha" is historical fantasy (it includes demons) and "Outlander" is historical fiction (the main characters get involved in historical events).… (more)

English (553)  German (5)  Dutch (4)  French (3)  Italian (3)  Tagalog (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  All languages (570)
This book has been reviewed by so many I don't think I have much to add. I will just mention 3 things. I started listening to this audiobook (excellent reader btw) before the Starz series began. I had taken it out of the library and did not realize I had only the first part of the first book so I had a month of downtime between the two halves. Perhaps the timing here affected my view of the book in an unfair way, but it did make a difference. First, I found I like the series better than the book and that is unusual for me. Second, the series is very true to the books, but necessarily pares things down a bit. That paring down really highlights that this book was far too long. In addition to needing serious editing, it also should have been two books. A very simple place to divide this into two is when Claire makes her decision (no spoilers). The third and last thing I will say is that Ms. Galbaldon clearly has an issue with men being Gay. The two Gay characters are villains. in addition to other crimes and misdemeanors once is a rapist and the other is a letch who may not actually rape, but who uses his position to strong-arm men into sex acts they do not desire. A lot of time is spent on this, and to me, a heterosexual woman, it read as wildly homophobic.

I enjoyed the read, and plan to read the next book, but I am far more interested in the show, and not only because the man cast as Jamie is incredibly dreamy, or that the acting in general is wonderful, or that that scenery is breathtaking. I think this material just works better in a visual medium. ( )
  Narshkite | Oct 19, 2014 |
This was so impressively bad that I have had to stop, unfortunately. And given some of the stuff I seem to have missed out on, hoo-boy! I think I made the right decision.

I don't get the fetish some of you have for my home, though, honestly. The way that "Scotland" was written in this book made me half expect the barbarians to start running about chasing haggis any minute. Seriously. It's painful to read if you're actually from here, and the prose/characterisation doesn't do anything to alleviate that.

(If anyone wants to read a novel that's actually representative of Scotland in some measure, I recommend thoroughly A Scot's Quair by Lewis Grassic Gibbon, though it's talking about an entirely different time period. That novel is thought provoking stuff.) ( )
  humblewomble | Oct 19, 2014 |
Originally posted at Bunny's Review

I read this book years ago when it first came out in print when the Starz series started I wanted to read it again because I was unsure about several different scenes. I put off reading until the third or fourth episode after that one episode I quickly loaded the book to my Kindle and almost did not stop reading until I was finished. Forget everything else happening in my life reading this book again was so much more important.

To know that one of my all-time favorite series is now a television show is amazing. If possible I would love to be on the set watching everything. To state I am obsessed about this is an understatement. Just one question for you Ms. Gabaldon, please write me in as a character and transport me back to this specific time just make sure to give me one of my pets also.

There is nothing I can state about this series that has not already been stated. This is a captivating book with a series leaving reading begging for more. A series that leave readers wondering how they can capture the essence when they are finished reading.

Kudos to Ms. Gabaldon for writing something that will bring more people to reading books. This is one book that will have ladies always on the lookout for sexy men in kilts.

I highly recommend this series to any who enjoy historical romance with a touch of paranormal.

The bunnies and I give this book carrots.

I borrowed this book from my local public library.
  kybunnies | Oct 19, 2014 |
Absolutely love this book. ( )
  WhitneyA06 | Oct 13, 2014 |
Good storytelling ( )
  gail616 | Oct 13, 2014 |

Diana Gabaldonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Anastassatos, MariettaCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Carbain, JeanCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Porter, DavinaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sallamo-Lavi, AnuirmeliTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
People disappear all the time. Ask any policeman. Better yet, ask a journalist. Disappearances are bread-and-butter to journalists.
Young girls run away from home. Young children stray from their parents and are never seen again. Housewives reach the end of their tether and take the grocery money and a taxi to the station. International financiers change their names and vanish into the smoke of imported cigars.
Many of the lost will be found, eventually, dead or alive. Disappearances, after all, have explanations.
Usually.
To the Memory of My Mother,
Who Taught Me to Read —
Jacqueline Sykes Gabaldon
It wasn't a very likely place for disappearances, at least at first glance.
Prologue ------ People disappear all the time.
'Outlander' was published in the UK as 'Cross Stitch'.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0385319959, Paperback)

In Outlander, a 600-page time-travel romance, strong-willed and sensual Claire Randall leads a double life with a husband in one century, and a lover in another. Torn between fidelity and desire, she struggles to understand the pure intent of her heart. But don't let the number of pages and the Scottish dialect scare you. It's one of the fastest reads you'll have in your library.

While on her second honeymoon in the British Isles, Claire touches a boulder that hurls her back in time to the forbidden Castle Leoch with the MacKenzie clan. Not understanding the forces that brought her there, she becomes ensnared in life-threatening situations with a Scots warrior named James Fraser. But it isn't all spies and drudgery that she must endure. For amid her new surroundings and the terrors she faces, she is lured into love and passion like she's never known before.

I was lame and sore in every muscle when I woke next morning. I shuffled to the privy closet, then to the wash basin. My innards felt like churned butter. It felt as though I had been beaten with a blunt object, I reflected, then thought that that was very near the truth. The blunt object in question was visible as I came back to bed, looking now relatively harmless. Its possessor [Jamie] woke as I sat next to him, and examined me with something that looked very much like male smugness."
Gabaldon creates characters that you'll remember, laugh with, cry with, and cheer for long after you've finished the book. --Candy Paape

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:26:38 -0400)

Hurtled back through time more than two hundred years to Scotland in 1743, Claire Randall finds herself caught in the midst of an unfamiliar world torn apart by violence, pestilence, and revolution and haunted by her growing feelings for James Fraser, a young soldier.… (more)

Diana Gabaldon is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Outlander by Diana Gabaldon was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,405,606 books! | Top bar: Always visible