Outlander by Diana Gabaldon

Outlander (original 1991; edition 1992)

by Diana Gabaldon

12,885597177 (4.28)2 / 890
Member:richardderus
Title:Outlander
Authors:Diana Gabaldon
Info:Dell (1992), Mass Market Paperback, 896 pages
Tags:box 10

Outlander by Diana Gabaldon (1991)

Into the Wilderness by Sara Donati (pollywannabook)
    pollywannabook: The closest thing to Outlander out there. Diana Gabaldon even lent out the character of Claire for a cameo in this book
    The Winter Sea by Susanna Kearsley (Iudita)
    A Discovery of Witches by Deborah Harkness (Anonymous user, SunnySD)
    Timeline by Michael Crichton (leahsimone)
    The Bronze Horseman by Paullina Simons (littlebear514)
    littlebear514: Although the stories are COMPLETELY different; the writing is of the same quality and the stories are both deeply involved.
    The River of No Return by Bee Ridgway (redheadedali)
    Overseas by Beatriz Williams (becksdakex)
    becksdakex: Romance and time travel.
    Son of the Morning by Linda Howard (amyblue)
    Wildfire at Midnight by Mary Stewart (LiddyGally)
    LiddyGally: I recommend this book because the writing styles are in a similar vein rather than the stories being the same. Both, however, are set in the wilds of Scotland.
    Mary Queen of Scotland and the Isles by Margaret George (MissBrangwen)
    The House on the Strand by Daphne du Maurier (aynar)
    aynar: Much better example of time travel.
    The Legend of Lady MacLaoch by Becky Banks (elbakerone)
    elbakerone: Though Banks' novel is set in present day (and is considerably shorter), the love story with the gorgeous backdrop of Scotland was reminiscent of Gabaldon's series.
    Lady of Hay by Barbara Erskine (bucketyell)
    The Winter Rose by Jennifer Donnelly (fyrefly98)
    fyrefly98: Historical romance, hooray!
    Midwife of the Blue Ridge by Christine Blevins (Joles)
    Vrouwe van Llyn by Jane Watt (margarethmiwy)
    In a Wild Wood by Sasha Lord (Jenson_AKA_DL)
    Jenson_AKA_DL: If you enjoyed the romance between Clare and Jamie I think you'll also enjoy this Highlander romance.
    The Dark Queen by Susan Carroll (infiniteletters)
    The Firebird by Susanna Kearsley (LAKobow)
    LAKobow: Also involves elements of realism mixed with fantasy, Scotland, romance, and historical fiction.
    InuYasha, Volume 1 by Rumiko Takahashi (mene)
    mene: Both stories are about a female protagonist who travels a few hundred years to the past and meets a male whom she falls in love with. In both stories, the female protagonist travels back and forth to the past and her own time. "Inuyasha" is historical fantasy (it includes demons) and "Outlander" is historical fiction (the main characters get involved in historical events).… (more)

English (584)  German (6)  Dutch (4)  Italian (3)  French (3)  Tagalog (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Finnish (1)  All languages (603)
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Finally. FINALLY. Not only did I finally get the chance to pick this book up after obsessively watching the first season of the show, but I finally had the chance to finish the gosh darn thing! Coming in at 850, this definitely took awhile to read (a month between reading other books), but it was worth every second.

A former nurse, Claire Randall has survived the war and is now simply enjoying life on a second honeymoon with her husband in 1945. But when she walks through a strange stone circle, she is hurled back in time to 1743 Scotland. Claire is instantly brought into the lives of Scottish highlanders and, though she does fight to get back to her time, she finds herself forming bonds with the men, especially the young warrior Jamie Fraser. Jamie shows Claire passion and love she thought she had but realizes she never actually did. With emotions brewing, Claire is torn between her past and her present, lives with two men who couldn't be more different.

Wow. To say I was utterly freaking out the entire time I was reading this book is an understatement. Like I said, I watched and obsessed about the show before I even started this book, so I came in with some pretty high expectations. The Claire and Jamie in this book, though, are SO MUCH MORE than they were in the show. I felt more connected to Claire as I got inside of her mind and really felt the attraction and connection between her and Jamie that I only slightly got in the show. Those two are just so connected to each other, both physically and emotionally, and I loved watching them grow to learn to trust and love each other. What surprised me most, though, was how closely the show followed the book. The show stops at about the 300 page mark in the book, so from there on I had no idea what to expect.

You would think Diana Gabaldon would run out of things for Claire and Jamie to do in a novel that is 850 pages long, but, shoot, there was so much action! Seriously, they were going all over the country and getting into all sorts of trouble and the book was simply impossible to put down. There was one point that I was literally freaking out to the point where I had to look ahead to see how that part of the novel ended just to ease my nerves. I know, I know, looking ahead is horrible, but I was about to have a heart attack! Any book that gets that kind of reaction from me and is 850 pages of constant action or at least interesting dialogue is a keeper to me. Even when they spent days or weeks traveling or just going through life, there wasn't a dull moment in this book. And, seriously, who doesn't love Jamie? He is so freaking adorable and stubborn and strong and just man. I'm definitely hopping onto the next plane to Scotland to find those stones so that I can go back to the 1700s and find a Scottish warrior of my own…

I know you've all probably heard about Outlander one way or another and already have your opinions on it. But seriously, you HAVE to read it. And if you don't have time to read it, then watch the show. Both have amazing characters and truly bring the world alive of Scotland in 1743. There are so many amazing, complex characters aside from Claire and Jamie and watching their stories and relationships play out is just fascinating. I'm not sure if I'll be able to read the entire series, but I'm definitely going to carve out some time in the next couple of months to tackle book two to find out what happens to Claire as she navigates a world so unlike her own. ( )
  Jessica5 | Mar 3, 2015 |
Very cool concept - woman in 1945 falls through a stone circle in Scotland and ends up in 1743, She falls in love and has numerous adventures with James Fraser.
Much of this historical fiction is love story, but there is quite a bit about the highlanders' way of life and struggles against the British.
Very enjoyable read! ( )
  aimless22 | Feb 28, 2015 |
I have had many people recommend this series for years, and I finally dug in. It did not disappoint. I love Claire, and Jamie they are such wonderful characters.
The time travel concept has always fascinated me, and what my impressions would be if I went back. The period of 1740's Scotland is interesting, and so much is happening all over the world at that time. I like how Claire has to think things through because of the possibility of being accused of witchcraft.
I also watched the first episode of the series on Starz. It looks like it is gonna be a good one!

Cant wait to keep reading. ( )
  Ahnya | Feb 12, 2015 |
I was first made aware of this series by a friend on Facebook. They recommended that I read this series before it came to Starz as a show. As I thoroughly enjoyed reading Game of Thrones and am now in the process of enjoying the HBO adaptation I thought that I would give the series a try. I am so glad that I did!

When reading this series you must be able to set aside disbelief about time travel. Once you've done that you are in for an exhilarating ride! The story begins with the end of WWII with a young couple, Frank and Claire Randall, traveling to Scotland for a second honeymoon. While there, Claire inadvertently travels back through time approximately 200 years where she meets the man who she will love through time, space and across nations. Having knowledge of the future puts a heavy burden on Claire as she decides who she can trust, who she should tell and whether she should work to make things different or let history happen as it will; all while trying to survive in the harsh climate of mid-1700's Scotland, what she wouldn't give for indoor plumbing! ( )
  slsmitty25 | Feb 11, 2015 |
The book had it's up and downs for me, while I liked elements of the book, I disliked a lot of other, and found there were chunks I hated, and found that there was a lot in the book that wasn't exactly necessary to the plot, or at least, could have been toned down.

From a historical fiction side of things, the book was fantastic. I liked the history of Scotland, the clans and the daily life of the people there. I think the author painted a lovely, beautiful picture on this aspect of the book.

I liked the idea behind the time travel aspect, but didn't like how it was executed. Perhaps more will be detail will be given later, but I think there needed to be at least something else in the book highlighting the possibly of time travel, myths, perhaps? What bothered me the most, was just how quickly, and calmly Claire came to the conclusion of time travel. I felt it was unrealistic how fast she came to the conclusion she time traveled, and even more realistic was how calm she was about the whole incident. In fact, her reactions, how quickly she adapted to the time period was unrealistic. It was almost instant, and I felt it didn't work well. The characters were okay. Some I like more than others, some of the clans men, were well written, and I enjoyed them a bit, but I'm not a fan of either Jamie or Claire. Both characters felt like Mary-Sues to me. The book and plot felt it was forced to make their love work properly. I also think their relationship was forced, and didn't buy into their undying love for them, and I really hated how their romance took over the book. I knew the book had a large amount of romance and love themes, but I wasn't expecting it to take over the book. It felt like, the lovebirds, became more like rabbits, if you catch my hint, and it became boring very quickly.

By the end of the book, I was glad to get there. While I loved the historical fiction side of it, and a few twists and turns in the book, I didn't like this one nearly as much as I thought I would. I'm on the fence about continuing with the series, while I want to know a few details that were revealed in this book, I also don't want to have to endure all the aspects of I disliked again, which I know will be in the other books of the series.

Also found on my book review blog Jules' Book Reviews - Outlander ( )
1 vote bookwormjules | Jan 30, 2015 |

Diana Gabaldonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Anastassatos, MariettaCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Carbain, JeanCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Porter, DavinaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sallamo-Lavi, AnuirmeliTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
People disappear all the time. Ask any policeman. Better yet, ask a journalist. Disappearances are bread-and-butter to journalists.
Young girls run away from home. Young children stray from their parents and are never seen again. Housewives reach the end of their tether and take the grocery money and a taxi to the station. International financiers change their names and vanish into the smoke of imported cigars.
Many of the lost will be found, eventually, dead or alive. Disappearances, after all, have explanations.
Usually.
To the Memory of My Mother,
Who Taught Me to Read —
Jacqueline Sykes Gabaldon
It wasn't a very likely place for disappearances, at least at first glance.
Prologue ------ People disappear all the time.
'Outlander' was published in the UK as 'Cross Stitch'.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0385319959, Paperback)

In Outlander, a 600-page time-travel romance, strong-willed and sensual Claire Randall leads a double life with a husband in one century, and a lover in another. Torn between fidelity and desire, she struggles to understand the pure intent of her heart. But don't let the number of pages and the Scottish dialect scare you. It's one of the fastest reads you'll have in your library.

While on her second honeymoon in the British Isles, Claire touches a boulder that hurls her back in time to the forbidden Castle Leoch with the MacKenzie clan. Not understanding the forces that brought her there, she becomes ensnared in life-threatening situations with a Scots warrior named James Fraser. But it isn't all spies and drudgery that she must endure. For amid her new surroundings and the terrors she faces, she is lured into love and passion like she's never known before.

I was lame and sore in every muscle when I woke next morning. I shuffled to the privy closet, then to the wash basin. My innards felt like churned butter. It felt as though I had been beaten with a blunt object, I reflected, then thought that that was very near the truth. The blunt object in question was visible as I came back to bed, looking now relatively harmless. Its possessor [Jamie] woke as I sat next to him, and examined me with something that looked very much like male smugness."
Gabaldon creates characters that you'll remember, laugh with, cry with, and cheer for long after you've finished the book. --Candy Paape

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:26:38 -0400)

Hurtled back through time more than two hundred years to Scotland in 1743, Claire Randall finds herself caught in the midst of an unfamiliar world torn apart by violence, pestilence, and revolution and haunted by her growing feelings for James Fraser, a young soldier.… (more)

Diana Gabaldon is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Outlander by Diana Gabaldon was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,772,359 books! | Top bar: Always visible