Outlander by Diana Gabaldon

Outlander (original 1991; edition 1998)

by Diana Gabaldon

17,737842154 (4.22)2 / 1104
Member:lawlasaurus
Title:Outlander
Authors:Diana Gabaldon
Info:Delta (1998), Paperback, 640 pages
Rating:*****

Outlander by Diana Gabaldon (1991)

Into the Wilderness by Sara Donati (pollywannabook)
    pollywannabook: The closest thing to Outlander out there. Diana Gabaldon even lent out the character of Claire for a cameo in this book
    The Winter Sea by Susanna Kearsley (Iudita)
    Timeline by Michael Crichton (leahsimone)
    The River of No Return by Bee Ridgway (redheadedali)
    The House on the Strand by Daphne du Maurier (aynar)
    aynar: Much better example of time travel.
    Wildfire at Midnight by Mary Stewart (LiddyGally)
    LiddyGally: I recommend this book because the writing styles are in a similar vein rather than the stories being the same. Both, however, are set in the wilds of Scotland.
    A Discovery of Witches by Deborah Harkness (Anonymous user, SunnySD)
    The Bronze Horseman by Paullina Simons (littlebear514)
    littlebear514: Although the stories are COMPLETELY different; the writing is of the same quality and the stories are both deeply involved.
    Overseas by Beatriz Williams (becksdakex)
    becksdakex: Romance and time travel.
    Mary Queen of Scotland and the Isles by Margaret George (MissBrangwen)
    The Dark Queen by Susan Carroll (infiniteletters)
    The Rose Garden by Susanna Kearsley (jennyj271)
    Son of the Morning by Linda Howard (amyblue)
    The Song of Albion Collection: The Paradise War, The Silver Hand, and The Endless Knot by Stephen Lawhead (charlie68)
    charlie68: A story about a trip farther into Britain's past.
    Ross Poldark by Winston Graham (Anonymous user)
    Vrouwe van Llyn by Jane Watt (margarethmiwy)
    The Legend of Lady MacLaoch by Becky Banks (elbakerone)
    elbakerone: Though Banks' novel is set in present day (and is considerably shorter), the love story with the gorgeous backdrop of Scotland was reminiscent of Gabaldon's series.
    Midwife of the Blue Ridge by Christine Blevins (Joles)
    The Winter Rose by Jennifer Donnelly (fyrefly98)
    fyrefly98: Historical romance, hooray!
    In a Wild Wood by Sasha Lord (Jenson_AKA_DL)
    Jenson_AKA_DL: If you enjoyed the romance between Clare and Jamie I think you'll also enjoy this Highlander romance.

English (828)  German (7)  Dutch (6)  French (6)  Italian (3)  Portuguese (Portugal) (2)  Tagalog (1)  Swedish (1)  Finnish (1)  All languages (855)
This book is well written. Very descriptive. I can picture every detail from the landscape to the fabric of their clothes. The characters are well developed and diverse. A wonderful read. ( )
  abthompson | Jun 29, 2019 |
Loved this book, lots of detail, good writing and engaging plot lines. ( )
  wyldheartreads | Jun 20, 2019 |
28 year old nurse from 1945 is snatched back 200 years, Scotland. Where she ends up saving 23 year old Jamie. Sometimes you think their age difference is larger as she keeps referring to him as young Jamie for the first half of the book. Trying to find a way back to her time without giving away who she really was as an English captain chases them both. Humor and horrors of the time. Some parts are hard to read, the realities of the time were harsh, but Jamie and Clare, fight and love with a grand passion. The audiobook narrator Davina Porter does an amazing job. Highly recommend this book no matter if you choose written or audio version.
  wyldheartreads | Jun 20, 2019 |
Wowee, this was a looong book. It was like reading 2 or 3 books. The writing was of a nice quality. The story seemed a little slow paced. I felt like the story was just ambling along. I liked the main characters, Claire and Jamie. The historical details were nice and I felt like the story was taking place in 1743 as it was supposed to. The book was only mildly interesting to me. I never really had a sense of excitement while reading. ( )
  readingover50 | Jun 11, 2019 |
I categorize motion pictures as either films or movies. I do something similar to the books I read. Well, sort of. I don't have the equivalent to films but the movies nickname is candy bars. The Outlanders is a bit over sized candy bar. A bit too wordy but a good romance candy bar. ( )
  gayjeg | Apr 25, 2019 |
I absolutely loved this book. It was filled with action, adventure, and romance. I flew through the book and can't wait to read the rest of the series.
added by alaphi | editalaphi (Apr 3, 2016)

Een jonge, Engelse vrouw loopt kort na de Tweede Wereldoorlog tijdens een wandeling in de Schotse Hooglanden door een gespleten monoliet die deel uitmaakt van een magische cirkel. Hierdoor komt ze terecht in het turbulente Schotland van 1743 en trouwt om aan een wisse dood te ontsnappen een vogelvrij verklaarde Sejot. Beiden worden opgejaagd door een sadistische kapitein van de Engelse dragonders, maar kunnen na tal van avonturen en in het besef dat de loop van de geschiedenis veranderd kan worden, een nieuw bestaan opbouwen. Een fascinerende historische roman, waarin de auteur liefde, seks, romantiek, spanning en avontuur tot een boeiend geheel heeft samengevoegd. Goede tekening van de historische achtergrond. Een meeslepend verhaal.
added by Liyanna | editBiblion

Kuby, GabrieleÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Porter, DavinaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Regös, FerencCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sallamo-Lavi, AnuirmeliTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
People disappear all the time. Ask any policeman. Better yet, ask a journalist. Disappearances are bread-and-butter to journalists.
Young girls run away from home. Young children stray from their parents and are never seen again. Housewives reach the end of their tether and take the grocery money and a taxi to the station. International financiers change their names and vanish into the smoke of imported cigars.
Many of the lost will be found, eventually, dead or alive. Disappearances, after all, have explanations.
Usually.
To the Memory of My Mother,
Who Taught Me to Read —
Jacqueline Sykes Gabaldon
It wasn't a very likely place for disappearances, at least at first glance.
Prologue ------ People disappear all the time.
'Outlander' was published in the UK as 'Cross Stitch'.

Traveling in time
Clare falls in love with Jamie
Must choose if she stays
(BekiLynn)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0385319959, Paperback)

In Outlander, a 600-page time-travel romance, strong-willed and sensual Claire Randall leads a double life with a husband in one century, and a lover in another. Torn between fidelity and desire, she struggles to understand the pure intent of her heart. But don't let the number of pages and the Scottish dialect scare you. It's one of the fastest reads you'll have in your library.

While on her second honeymoon in the British Isles, Claire touches a boulder that hurls her back in time to the forbidden Castle Leoch with the MacKenzie clan. Not understanding the forces that brought her there, she becomes ensnared in life-threatening situations with a Scots warrior named James Fraser. But it isn't all spies and drudgery that she must endure. For amid her new surroundings and the terrors she faces, she is lured into love and passion like she's never known before.

I was lame and sore in every muscle when I woke next morning. I shuffled to the privy closet, then to the wash basin. My innards felt like churned butter. It felt as though I had been beaten with a blunt object, I reflected, then thought that that was very near the truth. The blunt object in question was visible as I came back to bed, looking now relatively harmless. Its possessor [Jamie] woke as I sat next to him, and examined me with something that looked very much like male smugness."
Gabaldon creates characters that you'll remember, laugh with, cry with, and cheer for long after you've finished the book. --Candy Paape

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:45 -0400)

Hurtled back through time more than two hundred years to Scotland in 1743, Claire Randall finds herself caught in the midst of an unfamiliar world torn apart by violence, pestilence, and revolution and haunted by her growing feelings for James Fraser, a young soldier.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Diana Gabaldon's book Outlander was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

LibraryThing Member Giveaway

Diana Gabaldon's book Outlander was available from LibraryThing Member Giveaway.

Diana Gabaldon is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,294,271 books! | Top bar: Always visible