Outlander by Diana Gabaldon

Outlander (original 1991; edition 1992)

by Diana Gabaldon

17,973852155 (4.22)2 / 1113
Hurtled back through time more than two hundred years to Scotland in 1743, Claire Randall finds herself caught in the midst of an unfamiliar world torn apart by violence, pestilence, and revolution and haunted by her growing feelings for James Fraser, a young soldier.
Member:PhonyGal
Title:Outlander
Authors:Diana Gabaldon
Info:Dell (1992), Edition: Reissue, Mass Market Paperback
Rating:***
Tags:Read in 2006

Outlander by Diana Gabaldon (1991)

Into the Wilderness by Sara Donati (pollywannabook)
    pollywannabook: The closest thing to Outlander out there. Diana Gabaldon even lent out the character of Claire for a cameo in this book
    The Winter Sea by Susanna Kearsley (Iudita)
    Timeline by Michael Crichton (leahsimone)
    The River of No Return by Bee Ridgway (redheadedali)
    The House on the Strand by Daphne du Maurier (aynar)
    aynar: Much better example of time travel.
    Wildfire at Midnight by Mary Stewart (LiddyGally)
    LiddyGally: I recommend this book because the writing styles are in a similar vein rather than the stories being the same. Both, however, are set in the wilds of Scotland.
    A Discovery of Witches by Deborah Harkness (Anonymous user, SunnySD)
    The Bronze Horseman by Paullina Simons (littlebear514)
    littlebear514: Although the stories are COMPLETELY different; the writing is of the same quality and the stories are both deeply involved.
    Overseas by Beatriz Williams (becksdakex)
    becksdakex: Romance and time travel.
    Mary Queen of Scotland and the Isles by Margaret George (MissBrangwen)
    The Dark Queen by Susan Carroll (infiniteletters)
    The Rose Garden by Susanna Kearsley (jennyj271)
    Son of the Morning by Linda Howard (amyblue)
    The Song of Albion Collection: The Paradise War, The Silver Hand, and The Endless Knot by Stephen Lawhead (charlie68)
    charlie68: A story about a trip farther into Britain's past.
    Ross Poldark by Winston Graham (Anonymous user)
    Vrouwe van Llyn by Jane Watt (margarethmiwy)
    The Legend of Lady MacLaoch by Becky Banks (elbakerone)
    elbakerone: Though Banks' novel is set in present day (and is considerably shorter), the love story with the gorgeous backdrop of Scotland was reminiscent of Gabaldon's series.
    Midwife of the Blue Ridge by Christine Blevins (Joles)
    The Winter Rose by Jennifer Donnelly (fyrefly98)
    fyrefly98: Historical romance, hooray!
    In a Wild Wood by Sasha Lord (Jenson_AKA_DL)
    Jenson_AKA_DL: If you enjoyed the romance between Clare and Jamie I think you'll also enjoy this Highlander romance.

English (837)  German (6)  Dutch (6)  French (6)  Italian (3)  Portuguese (Portugal) (2)  Tagalog (1)  Swedish (1)  Finnish (1)  All languages (863)
We meet Claire and Frank Randell just after the war when they go on holiday to Scotland. Frank is fascinated by family genealogy, local customs and tales of pagan ritual at a nearby stone circle and they go secretly to witness the event. This introduction to the stones prompts Claire to return on her own for a closer look. Fascinated she touches one of the stones and falls through time to 18th century Scotland. Here she meets James Fraser and her life is changed forever.

One of the best things about good historical novels is the detail, and this book is full of small details. From the clans, work, transport, scenery, plants for healing and the separate roles of men and women. There are also patterns of speech, the way they address one another, their deference, in addition to the use of Gaelic, this all adds to the richness of the book.

Jamie is notable for his red hair and although not a clan leader he is still a man of influence, being nephew to Callum and Dougal McKenzie. Stubborn and courageous his fierce loyalty and protection make him both admirable and sympathetic. Jamie is well educated, considerate, compassionate, catholic and funny. In direct contrast, Frank’s relation, Black Jack Randell, is sadistic, cruel and an English Officer. Randell is a perfect foil for Jamie, at a time when historically the Scots were the rebels and Catholicism was seen as both suspicious and superstitious.

Claire is just as stubborn, passionate and opinionated as Jamie. The difference is she brings her 20th Century outlook into historic Scotland resulting in unforeseen consequences both good and bad. She is the driving force in the novel, written in the first-person from her point of view. This can be problematic, as we don’t have the other characters point of view and this could narrow the depth and field of vision. It is a testament to the author’s skill that we get a rounded picture of Jamie. This is achieved through dialogue, but also the stories he tells of his childhood and his reaction and interaction with other people. This is important for in the novel Jamie is Scotland, we learn more about the culture and beliefs through him than any other character.

Jenny is Jamie’s sister, just as stubborn and more outspoken than her brother, she is the standard by which we asses Claire. In the book, she represents 18th-century Scottish women. She is tough, practical, hard-working, no-nonsense, feisty and loyal, a devoted wife and mother. While Jamie travels the highlands, she is the steadfast protector of Lallybroch. She provides the home for him to come back to.

Eighteenth-Century Scotland suffered brutal times where death and serious injury were common. Infection was dealt with by amputation rather than antibiotics. Fights and skirmishes over clan lands were normal. The author does not sanitize these moments, neither does she sensationalize them We receive the facts, but more importantly how the characters cope with the situation.

The pace is regular and the growing relationship between Claire and Jamie is given enough time and opportunities to blossom. Callum, Dougal, Jack Randall, and Geillis all form an integral part moving the story forward, in addition to adding to the historical detail. The ending closes previous events and looks towards another chapter in their lives together, even if it does feel a little sudden like something has been left unsaid.

Reading some people’s reviews I was struck by someone comparing Jamie Fraser to Fitzwilliam Darcy. Most ladies would not want to demote Colin Firth to second place, but perhaps we could put Jamie joint first. ( )
  TraceyMadeley | Sep 30, 2019 |
I stopped reading because of all the rape, spousal abuse, and homophobia. Yikes. I can't imagine reading a dozen novels like this. ( )
  wosret | Sep 26, 2019 |
My reactions as I read the book (hopefully not to spoilery):

First quarter of the book: Really nice historical fiction/fantasy. I love the scenery and the characters, and especially love the medical slant with the nurse main character. Already too many near-rapes though. Forgave that because I like historical fiction, it's hard for me to know how realistic it is, and anyway I loved the setting.

2nd quarter of the book: enjoying the romance, a little too heavy and frequent for me, but I had expected that going in as it is a romance novel after all. More near rapes followed closely by spousal abuse with page after page of attempts to excuse the abuse which actually made it even worse for me.

3rd quarter of the book. Still angry about spousal abuse and am pretending it didn't happen because I've enjoyed the book otherwise. However, this section has a very long diatribe which boiled down to "spare the rod spoil the child", which didn't make me happy either. Still enjoying the setting though, and definitely does make you think about how people's views have changed.

4th quarter: action-packed climax and resolution, which left me in awe of the author's ability to write tough emotional scenes, yet on the flipside left me feeling extremely upset about the undercurrents of homophobia throughout the book. I was also very upset by the threatened rape by an intellectually disabled character and felt this addition was completely unnecessary. I have mixed feeling about the religious themes introduced here at the end, but I admire that she tackled these issues.

Overall this book had some very high points with excellent writing, thorough research, and a great premise. I can see why people love this book. However, I was unable to get past what I felt were extremely low points, and I'm not sure I want to read the next one. ( )
1 vote akbooks | Sep 12, 2019 |
Read this so as to be able to understand my friends' discussions. It doesn't suck, but it doesn't rock my world either. Characterization is solid, but there are some plot jumps that make my head ache. It's really decent brain candy for in-between more challenging reads. ( )
  laureenH | Aug 26, 2019 |
Mayores de 16 años
  Alba26 | Aug 21, 2019 |
I absolutely loved this book. It was filled with action, adventure, and romance. I flew through the book and can't wait to read the rest of the series.
added by alaphi | editalaphi (Apr 3, 2016)

Een jonge, Engelse vrouw loopt kort na de Tweede Wereldoorlog tijdens een wandeling in de Schotse Hooglanden door een gespleten monoliet die deel uitmaakt van een magische cirkel. Hierdoor komt ze terecht in het turbulente Schotland van 1743 en trouwt om aan een wisse dood te ontsnappen een vogelvrij verklaarde Sejot. Beiden worden opgejaagd door een sadistische kapitein van de Engelse dragonders, maar kunnen na tal van avonturen en in het besef dat de loop van de geschiedenis veranderd kan worden, een nieuw bestaan opbouwen. Een fascinerende historische roman, waarin de auteur liefde, seks, romantiek, spanning en avontuur tot een boeiend geheel heeft samengevoegd. Goede tekening van de historische achtergrond. Een meeslepend verhaal.
added by Liyanna | editBiblion

Kuby, GabrieleÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Porter, DavinaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Regös, FerencCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sallamo-Lavi, AnuirmeliTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
People disappear all the time. Ask any policeman. Better yet, ask a journalist. Disappearances are bread-and-butter to journalists.
Young girls run away from home. Young children stray from their parents and are never seen again. Housewives reach the end of their tether and take the grocery money and a taxi to the station. International financiers change their names and vanish into the smoke of imported cigars.
Many of the lost will be found, eventually, dead or alive. Disappearances, after all, have explanations.
Usually.
To the Memory of My Mother,
Who Taught Me to Read —
Jacqueline Sykes Gabaldon
It wasn't a very likely place for disappearances, at least at first glance.
Prologue ------ People disappear all the time.
'Outlander' was published in the UK as 'Cross Stitch'.

Traveling in time
Clare falls in love with Jamie
Must choose if she stays
(BekiLynn)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Diana Gabaldon's book Outlander was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

LibraryThing Member Giveaway

Diana Gabaldon's book Outlander was available from LibraryThing Member Giveaway.

Diana Gabaldon is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,837,542 books! | Top bar: Always visible