Outlander by Diana Gabaldon

Outlander (original 1991; edition 1991)

by Diana Gabaldon

17,020820157 (4.23)2 / 1070
Member:jjmcgaffey
Title:Outlander
Authors:Diana Gabaldon
Info:New York : Dell, 1992, c1991.
Collections:Your library, Boxed, Working on, BOMBs
Tags:Fic, Romance, !UBS, _FicBoxes, _BB_Fic_03, _BB_Fic_Romance, __scanned

Outlander by Diana Gabaldon (1991)

Into the Wilderness by Sara Donati (pollywannabook)
    pollywannabook: The closest thing to Outlander out there. Diana Gabaldon even lent out the character of Claire for a cameo in this book
    The Winter Sea by Susanna Kearsley (Iudita)
    Timeline by Michael Crichton (leahsimone)
    The River of No Return by Bee Ridgway (redheadedali)
    The House on the Strand by Daphne du Maurier (aynar)
    aynar: Much better example of time travel.
    Wildfire at Midnight by Mary Stewart (LiddyGally)
    LiddyGally: I recommend this book because the writing styles are in a similar vein rather than the stories being the same. Both, however, are set in the wilds of Scotland.
    A Discovery of Witches by Deborah Harkness (Anonymous user, SunnySD)
    The Bronze Horseman by Paullina Simons (littlebear514)
    littlebear514: Although the stories are COMPLETELY different; the writing is of the same quality and the stories are both deeply involved.
    Overseas by Beatriz Williams (becksdakex)
    becksdakex: Romance and time travel.
    The Rose Garden by Susanna Kearsley (jennyj271)
    Son of the Morning by Linda Howard (amyblue)
    Mary Queen of Scotland and the Isles by Margaret George (MissBrangwen)
    The Song of Albion Collection: The Paradise War, The Silver Hand, and The Endless Knot by Stephen Lawhead (charlie68)
    charlie68: A story about a trip farther into Britain's past.
    In a Wild Wood by Sasha Lord (Jenson_AKA_DL)
    Jenson_AKA_DL: If you enjoyed the romance between Clare and Jamie I think you'll also enjoy this Highlander romance.
    Midwife of the Blue Ridge by Christine Blevins (Joles)
    Vrouwe van Llyn by Jane Watt (margarethmiwy)
    The Dark Queen by Susan Carroll (infiniteletters)
    The Winter Rose by Jennifer Donnelly (fyrefly98)
    fyrefly98: Historical romance, hooray!
    The Legend of Lady MacLaoch by Becky Banks (elbakerone)
    elbakerone: Though Banks' novel is set in present day (and is considerably shorter), the love story with the gorgeous backdrop of Scotland was reminiscent of Gabaldon's series.
    The Firebird by Susanna Kearsley (LAKobow)
    LAKobow: Also involves elements of realism mixed with fantasy, Scotland, romance, and historical fiction.

English (809)  German (6)  Dutch (6)  French (5)  Italian (3)  Portuguese (Portugal) (2)  Tagalog (1)  Swedish (1)  Finnish (1)  All languages (834)
I came across this book in a quest for some good historical fiction to read. I was completely unfamiliar with the book series or the show it spawned.

From the standpoint of historical fiction, it leaves quite a bit to be desired. Most of the 'history' you're immersed in is fictional. It is less of a historical fiction than it is a period fiction, set in a historical era.

While I was unsatisfied with the book's value as a historical fiction, I was intrigued nevertheless.

The story is well-told and it keeps a good pace once you get past the first few chapters. There is a nice balance of detail and action, keeping the plot moving forward at a good clip, and making you hesitant to put the book down until it is finished.

The characters are well-crafted, if not a bit of a caricature at times. The story generally stays as grounded in reality as a time-travel tale can. And at the end of the book, both my wife and I were eager to acquire the next book in the series.

To the extent that I have criticisms, they are less about the book itself and more about the nature of the book's appeal to me. As such, I will do my best to qualify them as follows:

I am not a fan of the romance genre. The center of this story, however, is a romance between the two main characters. That isn't a problem in and of itself, but the frequent and detailed lovemaking scenes got to be a bit more than I cared for. Not that they were graphic, or offended my 'delicate' sensibilities, more that they weren't interesting to me and they detracted from the pace of the story. That being said, there was humor mixed in with them a bit and they didn't take themselves too seriously.

I am also not a fan of sci-fi/fantasy stories. I can get past the time travel (and I knew that was coming) but there are a few parts of the book where the main characters pull off fantastical miracles that would make the entire cast of Kill Bill blush.

If you don't share my aversions to those two genres, you'll probably have no major reservations about this book.

It's a good read for anyone who likes period pieces in the 18t century Scotland (or any time going back to medieval Scotland, since the lives of the average Scot don't appear to have changed much). It's a good read for adventure fans and people intrigued by the endless 'what-ifs' posed by time travel stories. As far as the show on STARS, I have never seen it, so I can't speak to how similar or dissimilar they are. ( )
  McCarthys | Aug 22, 2018 |
This was my September read for NNCC.
The book is set in the year 1945 and 1743, it is the story of Claire Randall, she is a former WWII combat nurse,and has just reunited with her husband Frank on a second honeymoon in Scotland. One day she walks through a standing stone in one of the ancient circles and is suddenly transported back in time. In 1743 she is a Sassenach, an “outlander," in more ways than one, Scotland torn by war and raiding border clans and it is a far more dangerous time than her own, death is around every corner. Claire is suspected as a spy and is pulled into the intrigues of the lairds and must be smart an cunning to save her own life. It is at this time that she meets James, i.e. Jaimie, Fraser. He a gallant young Scots warrior, who steals her hear and forces her to be torn between two times and two very different men.
I read this book back in high school so I was familiar but it was still a fresh read for me. This is far more of a romance than a historical novel, there are some historical items in, but they play second fiddle to the romance and the love triangle Claire finds herself in. It is a first book, the reader can tell by some of the writing, there are places where the details are too lengthy and did't add to the story line. I liked the book. I felt that with everything happening in my life currently, work, small children, other book clubs, parties, etc. that this was not a tome I would have picked up of my own free will. It was too long of a book for my current life, and I liked it well enough, but not so well that I will drudge through the remainders in the series. Although I am willing to put them on a potential to be read list in the future when I have more time.
Ok I am about to go off on some parts of the books that are definite spoilers and use some not so nice language, so if you don't want to know what happens or you don't want to read curse words I would stop reading now.
I think that one of my biggest pet peeves about this book was the inconsistencies of Clair, and not inconsistencies because her character is supposed to be wishy washy but inconsistencies because Gabaldon did not write her well. The impression that I have is that Gabladon wanted Claire to be a strong woman both for her time and for Jamie's time. And Claire does start out the book as a strong independent woman. But by the end she is weak and a little bit simpering in my mind, waiting for Jaimie to "take care of her" or "rescue" her. There are many times in the book that she acts completely opposite of how her character should act if she was this very forward thinking, strong independent, woman she is described as in the beginning. Take for example the incident where Jaime "spanked" her, in reality he BEAT her. She was unable for days to walk or ride comfortable, she had bruises covering her entire body, and he even said in fact that he lost control and it was much more severe than he intended. It went beyond a simple discipline of his wife. I understand it was the times and it was common for both disciplines and beatings of wives. Do I think it was right, no but I am aware it was a different time and women were treated differently. My issue is how Claire reacted. At first she was right angry and wanted nothing to do with Jaimie. That was in character with the portrayal of who she was. What was not in character was that in less than 48 hour she had forgiven him, agreed with him that it needed to be done, and allowed him back in her bed. All because he told her of some beatings that his father gave him as a child, however my opinion is that his father never beat him the way Jaimie beat Claire. And her forgiveness, although not completely impossible to imagine happening, came too soon and with no true apology and did not fall in line with her character. It is really at this point that I began to see inconsistancies.
Another big inconstancy for me is at the end when Jaimie is in prison and Claire goes to find him. She kills a guard one moment, is hiding in a corner terrified the next, totally fucks ups the rescue and leaves Jaimie to Randall's mercies, then kills a wolf with her bare hands? What the fuck! So she goes to the prison, she wavers between bravery and cowardice, then when she gets to Jaimie's cell she becomes an idiot. Jaimie tells her Randall is coming back and instead of being the smart woman she is supposed to be she plays into a stereotypical role of victim. She wastes all of her time trying to hurry up and get Jaimie out of his chains instead of setting up a plan to knock out Randall and allow herself time to work the lock. And surprise surprise it doesn't turn out well. Then she has had all this self defense training, it went into great detail on how much time and how much training she did, and she doesn't use any of it to get away from Randall. She lets Jaimie make the awful bargain of himself for her life. Ok we are being a helpless woman needing our Man to save us. But THEN, Gabladon has Claire kill a wolf with her BARE HANDS. Please! If she was able to kill a wolf with her bare hands, she could have taken out Randall, maybe not killed, but at least knocked him out and tied him up. Make up your mind, is she a strong heroin or a weak victim.
Another thing that really bothers me is how quickly she forgets Frank, I know that they had been separated for 8 years, and were trying to re-connect, but still it took her NO time at all to move on to Jaimie. And once they were married, which admittedly wasn't all her choice, she jumped into bed with him quite readily on an extremely regular basis. If Gabladon had spent just a little less time not the sex scene descriptions, and a little more time on the character development I think this would have been a much better book. Don't get me wrong, my rants don't mean I didn't enjoy the book, but they do mean that there was potential there for me to have enjoyed it more.
For additional reviews please see my blog at www.adventuresofabibliophile.blogspot.com ( )
  Serinde24 | Aug 17, 2018 |
Love! Definitely one of my favorites! ( )
  Miranda4915 | Aug 10, 2018 |
I wish goodreads would implement half stars. This was probably 3.5 stars for me.

I loved the historical details and the setting in Scotland. For the most part I liked Claire and really liked Jamie.

It seemed like there were several side storylines that were never tied up in this book, although given the length of the series I am sure that a few of them will be wrapped up eventually. I want to know more about some of the characters at Lallybroch and the Leoch Castle.

I have the books up to #7 that I purchased last year as a bundle from Amazon but since I know they don't spend much time in Scotland I am not super motivated to continue reading. ( )
  twileteyes | Jul 30, 2018 |
Oh the doomed day has come where I write my review...

See the thing is, I liked the TV show. Actually I take that back, I loved the first season of the TV show but then lost interest halfway through the second season. Still, the first season will always hold a special place in my heart because it was one of those things I watched at just the right time in my life.

My mistake was going into this book with too high of expectations. I’d like to think by now that I’d be better at not doing this, but this book really showed me that I’m not good at going into a book expectation free.

The reasons why I’m giving this book a low two stars boils down to two things: the romance and the writing.

I love Jamie and Clare's relationship in the show, but in the book it was just... strange. I didn't feel any chemistry between them, and I really didn't like how they made Jamie all innocent and very unaware of what happens when two people... have sex. Also how she wrote him with the accent made it so I couldn't take him seriously. Like if I know a character has an accent, I read with that accent in my head. Her writing it out for me was just an annoyance.

And then the writing was a literal joke. I mean, you tell me the following sentence is not strange:
If I were a horse, I'd let him ride me anywhere

Like what the heck?

And the rest of the writing was just wishwashy and fluffy and I was not a fan. ( )
  jlydia | Jun 25, 2018 |
I absolutely loved this book. It was filled with action, adventure, and romance. I flew through the book and can't wait to read the rest of the series.
added by alaphi | editalaphi (Apr 3, 2016)

Een jonge, Engelse vrouw loopt kort na de Tweede Wereldoorlog tijdens een wandeling in de Schotse Hooglanden door een gespleten monoliet die deel uitmaakt van een magische cirkel. Hierdoor komt ze terecht in het turbulente Schotland van 1743 en trouwt om aan een wisse dood te ontsnappen een vogelvrij verklaarde Sejot. Beiden worden opgejaagd door een sadistische kapitein van de Engelse dragonders, maar kunnen na tal van avonturen en in het besef dat de loop van de geschiedenis veranderd kan worden, een nieuw bestaan opbouwen. Een fascinerende historische roman, waarin de auteur liefde, seks, romantiek, spanning en avontuur tot een boeiend geheel heeft samengevoegd. Goede tekening van de historische achtergrond. Een meeslepend verhaal.
added by Liyanna | editBiblion

Kuby, GabrieleÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Porter, DavinaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Regös, FerencCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sallamo-Lavi, AnuirmeliTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
People disappear all the time. Ask any policeman. Better yet, ask a journalist. Disappearances are bread-and-butter to journalists.
Young girls run away from home. Young children stray from their parents and are never seen again. Housewives reach the end of their tether and take the grocery money and a taxi to the station. International financiers change their names and vanish into the smoke of imported cigars.
Many of the lost will be found, eventually, dead or alive. Disappearances, after all, have explanations.
Usually.
To the Memory of My Mother,
Who Taught Me to Read —
Jacqueline Sykes Gabaldon
It wasn't a very likely place for disappearances, at least at first glance.
Prologue ------ People disappear all the time.
'Outlander' was published in the UK as 'Cross Stitch'.

Traveling in time
Clare falls in love with Jamie
Must choose if she stays
(BekiLynn)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0385319959, Paperback)

In Outlander, a 600-page time-travel romance, strong-willed and sensual Claire Randall leads a double life with a husband in one century, and a lover in another. Torn between fidelity and desire, she struggles to understand the pure intent of her heart. But don't let the number of pages and the Scottish dialect scare you. It's one of the fastest reads you'll have in your library.

While on her second honeymoon in the British Isles, Claire touches a boulder that hurls her back in time to the forbidden Castle Leoch with the MacKenzie clan. Not understanding the forces that brought her there, she becomes ensnared in life-threatening situations with a Scots warrior named James Fraser. But it isn't all spies and drudgery that she must endure. For amid her new surroundings and the terrors she faces, she is lured into love and passion like she's never known before.

I was lame and sore in every muscle when I woke next morning. I shuffled to the privy closet, then to the wash basin. My innards felt like churned butter. It felt as though I had been beaten with a blunt object, I reflected, then thought that that was very near the truth. The blunt object in question was visible as I came back to bed, looking now relatively harmless. Its possessor [Jamie] woke as I sat next to him, and examined me with something that looked very much like male smugness."
Gabaldon creates characters that you'll remember, laugh with, cry with, and cheer for long after you've finished the book. --Candy Paape

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:45 -0400)

Hurtled back through time more than two hundred years to Scotland in 1743, Claire Randall finds herself caught in the midst of an unfamiliar world torn apart by violence, pestilence, and revolution and haunted by her growing feelings for James Fraser, a young soldier.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Diana Gabaldon's book Outlander was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

LibraryThing Member Giveaway

Diana Gabaldon's book Outlander was available from LibraryThing Member Giveaway.

Diana Gabaldon is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,998,035 books! | Top bar: Always visible