Outlander by Diana Gabaldon

Outlander (original 1991; edition 1998)

by Diana Gabaldon

11,739None224 (4.29)2 / 789
Member:Elektrelf
Title:Outlander
Authors:Diana Gabaldon
Info:Delta (1998), Paperback, 656 pages

Outlander by Diana Gabaldon (1991)

18th century (176) adventure (104) audiobook (49) Diana Gabaldon (55) ebook (66) England (43) fantasy (542) favorite (47) fiction (973) Gabaldon (44) historical (316) historical fiction (949) historical romance (192) history (91) Jacobites (64) Jamie Fraser (42) Kindle (76) love (42) novel (83) Outlander (179) Outlander series (108) own (101) read (152) romance (944) science fiction (84) Scotland (827) series (188) time travel (1,162) to-read (234) unread (55)
    Into the Wilderness by Sara Donati (pollywannabook)
    pollywannabook: The closest thing to Outlander out there. Diana Gabaldon even lent out the character of Claire for a cameo in this book
    A Discovery of Witches by Deborah Harkness (Anonymous user, SunnySD)
    Timeline by Michael Crichton (leahsimone)
    The Bronze Horseman by Paullina Simons (littlebear514)
    littlebear514: Although the stories are COMPLETELY different; the writing is of the same quality and the stories are both deeply involved.
    The Winter Sea by Susanna Kearsley (Iudita)
    Lady of Hay by Barbara Erskine (bucketyell)
    The River of No Return by Bee Ridgway (redheadedali)
    Overseas by Beatriz Williams (becksdakex)
    becksdakex: Romance and time travel.
    Wildfire at Midnight by Mary Stewart (LiddyGally)
    LiddyGally: I recommend this book because the writing styles are in a similar vein rather than the stories being the same. Both, however, are set in the wilds of Scotland.
    Son of the Morning by Linda Howard (amyblue)
    The Legend of Lady MacLaoch by Becky Banks (elbakerone)
    elbakerone: Though Banks' novel is set in present day (and is considerably shorter), the love story with the gorgeous backdrop of Scotland was reminiscent of Gabaldon's series.
    The Dark Queen by Susan Carroll (infiniteletters)
    Mary Queen of Scotland and the Isles by Margaret George (MissBrangwen)
    The House on the Strand by Daphne du Maurier (aynar)
    aynar: Much better example of time travel.
    Midwife of the Blue Ridge by Christine Blevins (Joles)
    The Winter Rose by Jennifer Donnelly (fyrefly98)
    fyrefly98: Historical romance, hooray!
    In a Wild Wood by Sasha Lord (Jenson_AKA_DL)
    Jenson_AKA_DL: If you enjoyed the romance between Clare and Jamie I think you'll also enjoy this Highlander romance.
    Vrouwe van Llyn by Jane Watt (margarethmiwy)
    11/22/63 by Stephen King (mene)
    mene: Both books are about time travel through a kind of portal. In both books, the time traveller finds love on the other side, but the effects of the time travel and the way it works are different. In King's book, the time traveller also actively tries to change history, while in Gabaldon's book, the time traveller uses her knowledge of future events a lot less actively.… (more)
    Reflections in the Nile by J. Suzanne Frank (infiniteletters)

English (498)  German (4)  Dutch (4)  French (3)  Italian (3)  Tagalog (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  All languages (514)
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I received this book from the Library thing first reads giveaway. This book is not a romantic novel per se although there is love connection between the characters. The author has a great ability to transport you (no pun intended)into the troublesome times in Scotland where Claire finds herself once she passes through the threshold of the stones. The elaborate use of descriptions of scenery, characters and emotions allows the reader to feel as if one is part of the story. It was very well written and although it was over 700 pages, it didn't seem like any detail was unnoticed. I think it flowed nicely and I want to read the sequel. ( )
  FReads | Apr 15, 2014 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This is a well written book about a woman caught between her life and the past. Claire Randall is reunited with her husband after WWII but in Scotland is hurled back in time where she meets Jamie and is torn. This is more than just a romance, it is an adventure. However, it might not be for everyone as there are some graphic depictions of violence and sex. ( )
  caittilynn | Apr 11, 2014 |
How I stumbled onto this book, I have no clue. I thing the book Gods for allowing me this find!

At first I wasn't do sure. Time travel through stones? WTH? By the time Claire met Jamie, I was hooked. This book is so well written. The way Claire struggles with her two lives. She holds a secret to history as well. She knows how this is going to end. But where does her love Jamie fit in this.

Claire struggles with wanting to return to 1945. But falls in love with a red headed, kilt wearing, arrogant, scot! To top it all off, she is being now forced to marry a man she doesn't love at the time. OR she is considered a traitor and could be killed. Oh what to do?

I couldn't put this book down. It completely sucked me in. With the new 8th book coming out in the fall of 2013, I'm getting ready to start rereading the series. I know I missed so much the first time. Of all books I've read, by far, hands down my favorite! ( )
  cbilbo | Apr 8, 2014 |

cbilbo | Apr 8, 2014 |
Holy smokes! There was a lot going on. ( )
  cocktailsandbooks | Apr 7, 2014 |

Diana Gabaldonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Anastassatos, MariettaCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Carbain, JeanCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Porter, DavinaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sallamo-Lavi, AnuirmeliTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
People disappear all the time. Ask any policeman. Better yet, ask a journalist. Disappearances are bread-and-butter to journalists.
Young girls run away from home. Young children stray from their parents and are never seen again. Housewives reach the end of their tether and take the grocery money and a taxi to the station. International financiers change their names and vanish into the smoke of imported cigars.
Many of the lost will be found, eventually, dead or alive. Disappearances, after all, have explanations.
Usually.
To the Memory of My Mother,
Who Taught Me to Read --
Jacqueline Sykes Gabaldon
It wasn't a very likely place for disappearances, at least at first glance.
'Outlander' was published in the UK as 'Cross Stitch'.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0385319959, Paperback)

In Outlander, a 600-page time-travel romance, strong-willed and sensual Claire Randall leads a double life with a husband in one century, and a lover in another. Torn between fidelity and desire, she struggles to understand the pure intent of her heart. But don't let the number of pages and the Scottish dialect scare you. It's one of the fastest reads you'll have in your library.

While on her second honeymoon in the British Isles, Claire touches a boulder that hurls her back in time to the forbidden Castle Leoch with the MacKenzie clan. Not understanding the forces that brought her there, she becomes ensnared in life-threatening situations with a Scots warrior named James Fraser. But it isn't all spies and drudgery that she must endure. For amid her new surroundings and the terrors she faces, she is lured into love and passion like she's never known before.

I was lame and sore in every muscle when I woke next morning. I shuffled to the privy closet, then to the wash basin. My innards felt like churned butter. It felt as though I had been beaten with a blunt object, I reflected, then thought that that was very near the truth. The blunt object in question was visible as I came back to bed, looking now relatively harmless. Its possessor [Jamie] woke as I sat next to him, and examined me with something that looked very much like male smugness."
Gabaldon creates characters that you'll remember, laugh with, cry with, and cheer for long after you've finished the book. --Candy Paape

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:26:38 -0400)

Hurtled back through time more than two hundred years to Scotland in 1743, Claire Randall finds herself caught in the midst of an unfamiliar world torn apart by violence, pestilence, and revolution and haunted by her growing feelings for James Fraser, a young soldier.… (more)

Diana Gabaldon is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

5 2099

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Outlander by Diana Gabaldon was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,486,961 books! | Top bar: Always visible