Outlander by Diana Gabaldon

Outlander (original 1991; edition 1998)

by Diana Gabaldon

13,056614175 (4.27)2 / 898
Member:Elektrelf
Title:Outlander
Authors:Diana Gabaldon
Info:Delta (1998), Paperback, 656 pages

Outlander by Diana Gabaldon (1991)

Into the Wilderness by Sara Donati (pollywannabook)
    pollywannabook: The closest thing to Outlander out there. Diana Gabaldon even lent out the character of Claire for a cameo in this book
    The Winter Sea by Susanna Kearsley (Iudita)
    A Discovery of Witches: A Novel by Deborah Harkness (Anonymous user, SunnySD)
    Timeline by Michael Crichton (leahsimone)
    The Bronze Horseman by Paullina Simons (littlebear514)
    littlebear514: Although the stories are COMPLETELY different; the writing is of the same quality and the stories are both deeply involved.
    The River of No Return by Bee Ridgway (redheadedali)
    Overseas by Beatriz Williams (becksdakex)
    becksdakex: Romance and time travel.
    Son of the Morning by Linda Howard (amyblue)
    Wildfire at Midnight by Mary Stewart (LiddyGally)
    LiddyGally: I recommend this book because the writing styles are in a similar vein rather than the stories being the same. Both, however, are set in the wilds of Scotland.
    Mary Queen of Scotland and the Isles by Margaret George (MissBrangwen)
    The House on the Strand by Daphne du Maurier (aynar)
    aynar: Much better example of time travel.
    The Legend of Lady MacLaoch by Becky Banks (elbakerone)
    elbakerone: Though Banks' novel is set in present day (and is considerably shorter), the love story with the gorgeous backdrop of Scotland was reminiscent of Gabaldon's series.
    Lady of Hay by Barbara Erskine (bucketyell)
    Midwife of the Blue Ridge by Christine Blevins (Joles)
    The Dark Queen by Susan Carroll (infiniteletters)
    The Winter Rose by Jennifer Donnelly (fyrefly98)
    fyrefly98: Historical romance, hooray!
    Vrouwe van Llyn by Jane Watt (margarethmiwy)
    In a Wild Wood by Sasha Lord (Jenson_AKA_DL)
    Jenson_AKA_DL: If you enjoyed the romance between Clare and Jamie I think you'll also enjoy this Highlander romance.
    Reflections in the Nile by J. Suzanne Frank (infiniteletters)
    The Firebird by Susanna Kearsley (LAKobow)
    LAKobow: Also involves elements of realism mixed with fantasy, Scotland, romance, and historical fiction.

English (598)  German (6)  Dutch (4)  Italian (3)  French (2)  Tagalog (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Finnish (1)  All languages (616)
[Cross-posted to Knite Writes

I’m of two minds about this book. On the one hand, there are some pretty good adventure moments in this book, and overall, the plot is pretty good. There’s some battle and drama and all sorts of shenanigans, like witchcraft trials. There’s some politics and neat historical stuff. There are a wealth of interesting characters.

However, all that being said, this book has some pretty big issues. The biggest one being that it needs a HUGE trigger warning. There’s so much sexual assault in this book, and it’s used so many times as a plot device to put characters in danger, that it honestly got boring about halfway through. Rape. Got boring. Because it was used too often. Not to mention the amount of casual sexual harassment and blatant sexism…Good God, I know this book takes place in the past, but there HAVE to be things that happened to women back then other than rape, rape, rape, rape, rape.

I also have huge problems with the way the antagonist used rape and how it culminates in the plot’s climax in bit of character development that is seriously problematic. I’m not going to be any more specific than that, because I don’t like to go to much into socio-politics in my book reviews. But I really could have done without the antagonist being cast the way he was in the last fifth or so of the book. It made me really uncomfortable.

In fact, a lot of scenes in this book made me really uncomfortable, especially the ones where the consent seemed to be lacking in scenes that were played off like consensual sex after the fact. Jamie and Claire’s relationship had a lot of bumps that struck me as…well, for lack of a better word, wrong. Really wrong. There were moments where Jamie’s characterization seemed contradictory to what we were previously told (in terrible ways) and places where Claire’s strong-willed female protagonist personality fell apart for no reason. And places where…

Anyway, while the plot of this book wasn’t terrible overall, and some of the characters were pretty cool, I really couldn’t get past the issues I just mentioned, and they pretty much shut down this series for me.

I don’t think I’m going to continue this one. Sorry. ( )
  TherinKnite | May 12, 2015 |
Several friends (and even strangers) have recommended this series to me for ages. I finally had the chance to read it. I was warned by a few that about the first 50 pages were a little tougher to get through, and I think that is a correct assessment. It was a good read, with lots of intriguing information on life in Scotland in the 1700s. The historical and time travel aspects were my favorite parts. I admit it did feel a bit gratuitous at times, but those instances were usually pretty short. This book brings up questions concerning domestic violence, views on LGBT characters, and the interpretation of religious issues that would make for a very interesting book discussion (especially when taking into consideration the time period of the story and the publication year). While I'm not yet sold on reading the whole series, I will at least read the second book. ( )
  EllsbethB | May 9, 2015 |
The story was amazing and gripping with its time travelling (even if in this book it is just a one-way ticket to the past), romance, adventure…
The only reason I gave it four stars is because there was a teensy bit too much torture, flogging, raping, and—as the author puts it— perversion for my stomach.
  SaraRomanceLove | May 8, 2015 |
Oh dear. So many good books to read and this is 862 pages of boredom. ( )
  elimatta | May 4, 2015 |
Glad to be done with the story. For more reasons than one. Not that it was a bad story, she was a good writer. But that negatives outweighed the positives for me. ( )
  KR_Patterson | Apr 28, 2015 |

Diana Gabaldonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Anastassatos, MariettaCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Carbain, JeanCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Porter, DavinaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sallamo-Lavi, AnuirmeliTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
People disappear all the time. Ask any policeman. Better yet, ask a journalist. Disappearances are bread-and-butter to journalists.
Young girls run away from home. Young children stray from their parents and are never seen again. Housewives reach the end of their tether and take the grocery money and a taxi to the station. International financiers change their names and vanish into the smoke of imported cigars.
Many of the lost will be found, eventually, dead or alive. Disappearances, after all, have explanations.
Usually.
To the Memory of My Mother,
Who Taught Me to Read —
Jacqueline Sykes Gabaldon
It wasn't a very likely place for disappearances, at least at first glance.
Prologue ------ People disappear all the time.
'Outlander' was published in the UK as 'Cross Stitch'.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0385319959, Paperback)

In Outlander, a 600-page time-travel romance, strong-willed and sensual Claire Randall leads a double life with a husband in one century, and a lover in another. Torn between fidelity and desire, she struggles to understand the pure intent of her heart. But don't let the number of pages and the Scottish dialect scare you. It's one of the fastest reads you'll have in your library.

While on her second honeymoon in the British Isles, Claire touches a boulder that hurls her back in time to the forbidden Castle Leoch with the MacKenzie clan. Not understanding the forces that brought her there, she becomes ensnared in life-threatening situations with a Scots warrior named James Fraser. But it isn't all spies and drudgery that she must endure. For amid her new surroundings and the terrors she faces, she is lured into love and passion like she's never known before.

I was lame and sore in every muscle when I woke next morning. I shuffled to the privy closet, then to the wash basin. My innards felt like churned butter. It felt as though I had been beaten with a blunt object, I reflected, then thought that that was very near the truth. The blunt object in question was visible as I came back to bed, looking now relatively harmless. Its possessor [Jamie] woke as I sat next to him, and examined me with something that looked very much like male smugness."
Gabaldon creates characters that you'll remember, laugh with, cry with, and cheer for long after you've finished the book. --Candy Paape

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:26:38 -0400)

Hurtled back through time more than two hundred years to Scotland in 1743, Claire Randall finds herself caught in the midst of an unfamiliar world torn apart by violence, pestilence, and revolution and haunted by her growing feelings for James Fraser, a young soldier.… (more)

Diana Gabaldon is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Outlander by Diana Gabaldon was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,146,845 books! | Top bar: Always visible