Outlander by Diana Gabaldon

Outlander (original 1991; edition 1998)

by Diana Gabaldon

15,388754119 (4.24)2 / 994
Member:Elektrelf
Title:Outlander
Authors:Diana Gabaldon
Info:Delta (1998), Paperback, 656 pages

Outlander by Diana Gabaldon (1991)

Recently added byKimberlyhaze, veredi, private library, mrsreadsbooks, Nin01, Thalaba, BobbyAdamson, MrWilloughby
    Into the Wilderness by Sara Donati (pollywannabook)
    pollywannabook: The closest thing to Outlander out there. Diana Gabaldon even lent out the character of Claire for a cameo in this book
    The Winter Sea by Susanna Kearsley (Iudita)
    Timeline by Michael Crichton (leahsimone)
    A Discovery of Witches by Deborah Harkness (Anonymous user, SunnySD)
    Wildfire at Midnight by Mary Stewart (LiddyGally)
    LiddyGally: I recommend this book because the writing styles are in a similar vein rather than the stories being the same. Both, however, are set in the wilds of Scotland.
    The River of No Return by Bee Ridgway (redheadedali)
    The Bronze Horseman by Paullina Simons (littlebear514)
    littlebear514: Although the stories are COMPLETELY different; the writing is of the same quality and the stories are both deeply involved.
    Overseas by Beatriz Williams (becksdakex)
    becksdakex: Romance and time travel.
    The House on the Strand by Daphne du Maurier (aynar)
    aynar: Much better example of time travel.
    Son of the Morning by Linda Howard (amyblue)
    The Rose Garden by Susanna Kearsley (jennyj271)
    The Legend of Lady MacLaoch by Becky Banks (elbakerone)
    elbakerone: Though Banks' novel is set in present day (and is considerably shorter), the love story with the gorgeous backdrop of Scotland was reminiscent of Gabaldon's series.
    Mary Queen of Scotland and the Isles by Margaret George (MissBrangwen)
    Lady of Hay by Barbara Erskine (Yells)
    Vrouwe van Llyn by Jane Watt (margarethmiwy)
    Midwife of the Blue Ridge by Christine Blevins (Joles)
    In a Wild Wood by Sasha Lord (Jenson_AKA_DL)
    Jenson_AKA_DL: If you enjoyed the romance between Clare and Jamie I think you'll also enjoy this Highlander romance.
    The Dark Queen by Susan Carroll (infiniteletters)
    The Winter Rose by Jennifer Donnelly (fyrefly98)
    fyrefly98: Historical romance, hooray!
    Outlander Kitchen: The Official Outlander Companion Cookbook by Theresa Carle-Sanders (karensmiththomas)

English (744)  German (6)  Dutch (6)  Italian (3)  French (3)  Tagalog (1)  All (1)  Finnish (1)  Swedish (1)  All (766)
I think this is the longest book I have ever read. 850 pages in a paperback has my eyes about worn out! But quite worth it. Historical fiction has always been a favorite of mine and given the Scottish setting, it was a win-win! Loved the herbal remedy concoctions and sporadic Gaelic terminologies. (I took plenty of notes through this read) .. Brutal, barbaric and ruthless, yet tender and erotic. The toils of Claire and Jamie as they just try to enjoy a blissful marriage while keeping themselves alive from the English hunters that seek them both, for the most part, dead. Over hill, over dell, they save each other and a few others along their search for safe haven. Familial secrets are revealed, lessons learned and lives taken. With all the good and bad in near excess, I can see why this is such a popular TV series and will, for sure, partake of it, as well. ( )
  CherylGrimm | Mar 22, 2017 |
I first found out about Outlander because of the tv show on starz that's why i decided to read Outlander and I'm so glad i went and got this book. How can i put into words what this book did to me while i was reading it. This book just got so many emotions out of me i laugh, i cried and i was so heartbroken when i read the scenes with Jamie and Black Jack. I thought i couldn't possibly love Jamie more then i read this book and i was so wrong. ( )
  mhelissa26 | Mar 8, 2017 |
(9/10) I read this after I got completely hooked on the TV programme. Quite honestly I loved this book, if I were to write a book it would be like this, it crosses so many genres I love, history, romance, fantasy and a bit of sci-fi for good measure.

Although the book is long I powered through it and was very pleasantly surprised to see that the TV series follows the book closely. The characters are very well written and you immediately like them all for their own little quirks (even the ones you are not supposed to like). Not knowing much about 18th century Scotland I really enjoyed the historical details and the folklore that was included. My highlight was the trial, I find those kind of superstitious beliefs fascinating and was nearly on the verge of shouting out loud at some of the downright dirty fibbers! The only thing I found a little uncomfortable to read and watch were the scenes in Wentworth prision, then again I suppose that was the aim and Gabaldon succeeded in making me squirm.

I will definitely be tracking down book two and if it's anything like series two I know I am going to enjoy it and find a story with even more depth than the first.

This is one I think I will have to read again just to check I didn't miss anything, a very intriguing and unique read, I would highly recommend it. ( )
  LiteraryReadaholic | Mar 8, 2017 |
I was warned by many people that this book started out good and then fell into more of an erotic romance. I think I know why people became disappointed with it the further in they got. The beginning of the book is fairly light, but the further into the story you go the more explicit things get. There are some scenes in here that are... questionable? Nothing that overly disturbed me, ultimately, with the exception of one scene, but I wonder if some of it was really needed. In the end this is a low four star. A four star because I obviously enjoyed it enough to listen to it all the way through it's 850 pages. But a low star because I didn't think the book flowed as well as it could have. I can't say that I'll be jumping for the next book anytime soon. Eh. ( )
  Kassilem | Feb 23, 2017 |
3.5, rounding up to 4
The book started out strong, then got bogged down in way too much detail and cringe-worthy sex scenes. I nearly gave up. But once I passed the halfway mark I began to get into the story and ended up liking it. There were some plot points that disturbed me (wife-beating) and others where I wish she'd given us more detail (another time-traveler)

I don't think there are many books that warrants nearly 900 pages (33 hours of listening on audio). Overall I ended up really liking it but not loving it.

Davina Porter was excellent as the narrator. She brought the story to life. ( )
  janb37 | Feb 13, 2017 |
I absolutely loved this book. It was filled with action, adventure, and romance. I flew through the book and can't wait to read the rest of the series.
added by alaphi | editalaphi (Apr 3, 2016)

Een jonge, Engelse vrouw loopt kort na de Tweede Wereldoorlog tijdens een wandeling in de Schotse Hooglanden door een gespleten monoliet die deel uitmaakt van een magische cirkel. Hierdoor komt ze terecht in het turbulente Schotland van 1743 en trouwt om aan een wisse dood te ontsnappen een vogelvrij verklaarde Sejot. Beiden worden opgejaagd door een sadistische kapitein van de Engelse dragonders, maar kunnen na tal van avonturen en in het besef dat de loop van de geschiedenis veranderd kan worden, een nieuw bestaan opbouwen. Een fascinerende historische roman, waarin de auteur liefde, seks, romantiek, spanning en avontuur tot een boeiend geheel heeft samengevoegd. Goede tekening van de historische achtergrond. Een meeslepend verhaal.
added by Liyanna | editBiblion

Kuby, GabrieleÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Porter, DavinaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Regös, FerencCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sallamo-Lavi, AnuirmeliTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
People disappear all the time. Ask any policeman. Better yet, ask a journalist. Disappearances are bread-and-butter to journalists.
Young girls run away from home. Young children stray from their parents and are never seen again. Housewives reach the end of their tether and take the grocery money and a taxi to the station. International financiers change their names and vanish into the smoke of imported cigars.
Many of the lost will be found, eventually, dead or alive. Disappearances, after all, have explanations.
Usually.
To the Memory of My Mother,
Who Taught Me to Read —
Jacqueline Sykes Gabaldon
It wasn't a very likely place for disappearances, at least at first glance.
Prologue ------ People disappear all the time.
'Outlander' was published in the UK as 'Cross Stitch'.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0385319959, Paperback)

In Outlander, a 600-page time-travel romance, strong-willed and sensual Claire Randall leads a double life with a husband in one century, and a lover in another. Torn between fidelity and desire, she struggles to understand the pure intent of her heart. But don't let the number of pages and the Scottish dialect scare you. It's one of the fastest reads you'll have in your library.

While on her second honeymoon in the British Isles, Claire touches a boulder that hurls her back in time to the forbidden Castle Leoch with the MacKenzie clan. Not understanding the forces that brought her there, she becomes ensnared in life-threatening situations with a Scots warrior named James Fraser. But it isn't all spies and drudgery that she must endure. For amid her new surroundings and the terrors she faces, she is lured into love and passion like she's never known before.

I was lame and sore in every muscle when I woke next morning. I shuffled to the privy closet, then to the wash basin. My innards felt like churned butter. It felt as though I had been beaten with a blunt object, I reflected, then thought that that was very near the truth. The blunt object in question was visible as I came back to bed, looking now relatively harmless. Its possessor [Jamie] woke as I sat next to him, and examined me with something that looked very much like male smugness."
Gabaldon creates characters that you'll remember, laugh with, cry with, and cheer for long after you've finished the book. --Candy Paape

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:45 -0400)

Hurtled back through time more than two hundred years to Scotland in 1743, Claire Randall finds herself caught in the midst of an unfamiliar world torn apart by violence, pestilence, and revolution and haunted by her growing feelings for James Fraser, a young soldier.… (more)

Diana Gabaldon is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Outlander by Diana Gabaldon was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,260,937 books! | Top bar: Always visible