Outlander by Diana Gabaldon

Outlander (original 1991; edition 1998)

by Diana Gabaldon

14,002694148 (4.25)2 / 919
Member:Elektrelf
Title:Outlander
Authors:Diana Gabaldon
Info:Delta (1998), Paperback, 656 pages

Outlander by Diana Gabaldon (1991)

Into the Wilderness by Sara Donati (pollywannabook)
    pollywannabook: The closest thing to Outlander out there. Diana Gabaldon even lent out the character of Claire for a cameo in this book
    The Winter Sea by Susanna Kearsley (Iudita)
    A Discovery of Witches: A Novel by Deborah Harkness (Anonymous user, SunnySD)
    Timeline by Michael Crichton (leahsimone)
    Wildfire at Midnight by Mary Stewart (LiddyGally)
    LiddyGally: I recommend this book because the writing styles are in a similar vein rather than the stories being the same. Both, however, are set in the wilds of Scotland.
    The River of No Return by Bee Ridgway (redheadedali)
    The Bronze Horseman by Paullina Simons (littlebear514)
    littlebear514: Although the stories are COMPLETELY different; the writing is of the same quality and the stories are both deeply involved.
    Overseas by Beatriz Williams (becksdakex)
    becksdakex: Romance and time travel.
    Son of the Morning by Linda Howard (amyblue)
    The House on the Strand by Daphne du Maurier (aynar)
    aynar: Much better example of time travel.
    Mary Queen of Scotland and the Isles by Margaret George (MissBrangwen)
    The Rose Garden by Susanna Kearsley (jennyj271)
    The Legend of Lady MacLaoch by Becky Banks (elbakerone)
    elbakerone: Though Banks' novel is set in present day (and is considerably shorter), the love story with the gorgeous backdrop of Scotland was reminiscent of Gabaldon's series.
    Lady of Hay by Barbara Erskine (Yells)
    Midwife of the Blue Ridge by Christine Blevins (Joles)
    The Dark Queen by Susan Carroll (infiniteletters)
    The Winter Rose by Jennifer Donnelly (fyrefly98)
    fyrefly98: Historical romance, hooray!
    Vrouwe van Llyn by Jane Watt (margarethmiwy)
    In a Wild Wood by Sasha Lord (Jenson_AKA_DL)
    Jenson_AKA_DL: If you enjoyed the romance between Clare and Jamie I think you'll also enjoy this Highlander romance.
    The Firebird by Susanna Kearsley (LAKobow)
    LAKobow: Also involves elements of realism mixed with fantasy, Scotland, romance, and historical fiction.

English (676)  German (6)  Dutch (5)  Italian (3)  French (2)  Tagalog (1)  Finnish (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  All languages (695)
My fault. I reread it. I mean, I like that Claire is into plants; I'm into plants. I like history. I like genealogy. So many things to like. But I can't STAND these two as a couple. I'm either laughing or cringing in all the wrong places. When they get over themselves and the plot moves along, which is really only when they're away from each other and not nearly long enough, I start to like it. Too lusty and disturbing for me. ( )
  bjoelle5 | Feb 10, 2016 |
Wonderful historical romance.
Absolutely fabulous narration by Davina Porter in the Audible Book.

nospi | Feb 7, 2016 |
I forgot that I had re-read this when I had a big gap in library books. I know the new one is coming out, so want to re-read the series to be better prepared. So really need to check Shelfari! I have a few books from the library so it will be a couple weeks before I go back to the series.

It's been 20 years since I first read this and its great to revisit. I picked it up again to read because I was without library books, all my paperbacks waiting to be read have been read. I'm glad I re-read it. I'll have to now do the rest of the series and hopefully will then be ready for what I think is supposed to be the last book in the series. ( )
  pnwbookgirl | Feb 7, 2016 |
This book started out okay, potentially interesting, and then it just got more and more rape-y (I know not a real word but it is what it is) and weird.

There were lots of strange unnecessary moments, things that did nothing to build the story or the characters and which actually took away from the book because I had to sit there going why did you just tell me that, and that ruins the momentum (not that there was very much momentum to begin with), speaking of momentum I felt so many times in the book like I must had missed a page, usually because Claire was contemplating some situation and then she would have an epiphany that she wouldn't explain and then she run off and do something that supposedly was the answer to her problem but made no sense to me because no one told me what she was thinking. This book is a great example of the meme 'well that escalated quickly'

For an spoiler example..
Claire : my husband was raped and has PTSD and doesn't want to see me, now he's dying of a blood infection induced fever, I know what will save him! I'll drug him and reenact his rape while he's half dead and high, sweet he's all better now we can back to have strange sex scenes like any happy married couple...(read with heavy sarcasm because it's crazy)

What the hell was that...really what the hell?

I can say with 100% certainty I will not be reading anymore of these books...and I'm going to stop taking book recommendations from people because this getting old. ( )
  SamCanesi | Feb 6, 2016 |
Nice romance with a time travel gimmick. Enjoyable ( )
  Bruce_Deming | Feb 5, 2016 |
Een jonge, Engelse vrouw loopt kort na de Tweede Wereldoorlog tijdens een wandeling in de Schotse Hooglanden door een gespleten monoliet die deel uitmaakt van een magische cirkel. Hierdoor komt ze terecht in het turbulente Schotland van 1743 en trouwt om aan een wisse dood te ontsnappen een vogelvrij verklaarde Sejot. Beiden worden opgejaagd door een sadistische kapitein van de Engelse dragonders, maar kunnen na tal van avonturen en in het besef dat de loop van de geschiedenis veranderd kan worden, een nieuw bestaan opbouwen. Een fascinerende historische roman, waarin de auteur liefde, seks, romantiek, spanning en avontuur tot een boeiend geheel heeft samengevoegd. Goede tekening van de historische achtergrond. Een meeslepend verhaal.
added by Liyanna | editBiblion

Kuby, GabrieleÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Porter, DavinaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Regös, FerencCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sallamo-Lavi, AnuirmeliTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
People disappear all the time. Ask any policeman. Better yet, ask a journalist. Disappearances are bread-and-butter to journalists.
Young girls run away from home. Young children stray from their parents and are never seen again. Housewives reach the end of their tether and take the grocery money and a taxi to the station. International financiers change their names and vanish into the smoke of imported cigars.
Many of the lost will be found, eventually, dead or alive. Disappearances, after all, have explanations.
Usually.
To the Memory of My Mother,
Who Taught Me to Read —
Jacqueline Sykes Gabaldon
It wasn't a very likely place for disappearances, at least at first glance.
Prologue ------ People disappear all the time.
'Outlander' was published in the UK as 'Cross Stitch'.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0385319959, Paperback)

In Outlander, a 600-page time-travel romance, strong-willed and sensual Claire Randall leads a double life with a husband in one century, and a lover in another. Torn between fidelity and desire, she struggles to understand the pure intent of her heart. But don't let the number of pages and the Scottish dialect scare you. It's one of the fastest reads you'll have in your library.

While on her second honeymoon in the British Isles, Claire touches a boulder that hurls her back in time to the forbidden Castle Leoch with the MacKenzie clan. Not understanding the forces that brought her there, she becomes ensnared in life-threatening situations with a Scots warrior named James Fraser. But it isn't all spies and drudgery that she must endure. For amid her new surroundings and the terrors she faces, she is lured into love and passion like she's never known before.

I was lame and sore in every muscle when I woke next morning. I shuffled to the privy closet, then to the wash basin. My innards felt like churned butter. It felt as though I had been beaten with a blunt object, I reflected, then thought that that was very near the truth. The blunt object in question was visible as I came back to bed, looking now relatively harmless. Its possessor [Jamie] woke as I sat next to him, and examined me with something that looked very much like male smugness."
Gabaldon creates characters that you'll remember, laugh with, cry with, and cheer for long after you've finished the book. --Candy Paape

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:45 -0400)

Hurtled back through time more than two hundred years to Scotland in 1743, Claire Randall finds herself caught in the midst of an unfamiliar world torn apart by violence, pestilence, and revolution and haunted by her growing feelings for James Fraser, a young soldier.… (more)

Diana Gabaldon is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Outlander by Diana Gabaldon was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,173,028 books! | Top bar: Always visible