Outlander by Diana Gabaldon

Outlander (original 1991; edition 1998)

by Diana Gabaldon

15,542762118 (4.24)2 / 1005
Member:Elektrelf
Title:Outlander
Authors:Diana Gabaldon
Info:Delta (1998), Paperback, 656 pages

Outlander by Diana Gabaldon (1991)

Into the Wilderness by Sara Donati (pollywannabook)
    pollywannabook: The closest thing to Outlander out there. Diana Gabaldon even lent out the character of Claire for a cameo in this book
    The Winter Sea by Susanna Kearsley (Iudita)
    Timeline by Michael Crichton (leahsimone)
    A Discovery of Witches by Deborah Harkness (Anonymous user, SunnySD)
    Wildfire at Midnight by Mary Stewart (LiddyGally)
    LiddyGally: I recommend this book because the writing styles are in a similar vein rather than the stories being the same. Both, however, are set in the wilds of Scotland.
    The River of No Return by Bee Ridgway (redheadedali)
    The Bronze Horseman by Paullina Simons (littlebear514)
    littlebear514: Although the stories are COMPLETELY different; the writing is of the same quality and the stories are both deeply involved.
    Overseas by Beatriz Williams (becksdakex)
    becksdakex: Romance and time travel.
    The House on the Strand by Daphne du Maurier (aynar)
    aynar: Much better example of time travel.
    Son of the Morning by Linda Howard (amyblue)
    The Rose Garden by Susanna Kearsley (jennyj271)
    The Legend of Lady MacLaoch by Becky Banks (elbakerone)
    elbakerone: Though Banks' novel is set in present day (and is considerably shorter), the love story with the gorgeous backdrop of Scotland was reminiscent of Gabaldon's series.
    Mary Queen of Scotland and the Isles by Margaret George (MissBrangwen)
    Lady of Hay by Barbara Erskine (Yells)
    Vrouwe van Llyn by Jane Watt (margarethmiwy)
    Midwife of the Blue Ridge by Christine Blevins (Joles)
    In a Wild Wood by Sasha Lord (Jenson_AKA_DL)
    Jenson_AKA_DL: If you enjoyed the romance between Clare and Jamie I think you'll also enjoy this Highlander romance.
    The Dark Queen by Susan Carroll (infiniteletters)
    The Winter Rose by Jennifer Donnelly (fyrefly98)
    fyrefly98: Historical romance, hooray!
    Outlander Kitchen: The Official Outlander Companion Cookbook by Theresa Carle-Sanders (karensmiththomas)

English (750)  Dutch (6)  German (6)  French (4)  Italian (3)  Tagalog (1)  All (1)  Finnish (1)  Swedish (1)  All (773)
This book is strangely polarizing. People love it for the same reasons others hate it. I vacillated for a long time before picking this up, as traditional romance is not usually my genre of choice. I also read through many of the reviews, so I felt like I had a good idea of what I was getting myself into.

**Spoilers Below***

--------------------------------------------------​
There are largely 3 things that people take issue with- 1) the sex 2) the scene where Jamie beats Claire and 3) the rape of Jamie by Cptn. Jack Randall. My observations are as follows.

The sex- there is definitely a point in the book where it goes from none to pretty much constant. This is also the point at which I began to enjoy the book less. While not as graphic as a traditional bodice ripper, it is still not the kind of writing where it is alluded to rather than described. It's just described more tastefully, with somewhat fewer giggle inducing references, although there was still plenty for me to find eye-roll worthy.

The physical altercation- I think that a lot of the anger directed towards this portion of the book is due to a 21st century reader point of view, where we would define what happens as domestic abuse. However, i can also see that the author was writing this book about a character who is clearly NOT from the 21st century, and clearly would be subject to the rule of the land at that time. So while I understand the overall point that the author was trying to make, justice within the clan and all, I can also see this as a trigger for many people who have been victims of abuse, and as such feel it is worth pointing out BEFORE people read it so that they can decide if its something they are OK with being used as a plot device, or not.

The rape of Jamie by Cptn. Jack Randall- OK, full disclosure, I did not actually read this part of the book. Based on the graphic nature of the sex and numerous near rape's of Claire, I decided that it was time for me and Outlander to part ways. Honestly, once Claire and Jamie were married, I really lost interest in the characters and the plot, and just didn't care enough to finish the book.

So I would place my opinion of this book somewhere in the middle of the two extremes. I didn't hate it, in fact I really enjoyed the first third of the book, but I definitely didn't love it either. I do think that anyone interested in reading it should be aware of some of the more controversial themes, so they can choose based on their own reading preferences whether or not it is something they would enjoy. ( )
  lexxa83 | May 18, 2017 |
Verra splendid, indee'. ( )
  kbosso | May 2, 2017 |
I tried to get through this for the historical aspect. But constantly reading about this guy's body glistening and hair flying in the breeze made me put it down. I went into it knowing it was romance.....but it is overbearing. I Have the whole series maybe I will read it one day when I finish everything else in my library.....
  Hymlock | Apr 26, 2017 |
How do you describe a book like "Outlander"? Drama, fantastical adventure, magical realism, historical fiction, love story? It is all of these things, but above all, a heart-throbbing, maudlin, intensely passionate, soulful, beautiful love story. Everyone should consider themselves very fortunate to come somewhere close to the kind of love Gabaidon describes of her heroine and hero - Claire Beauchamp and Jamie Fraser.

When Claire and her history professor husband Frank Randall are on a vacation in Scotland, Claire roams off alone one day sightseeing to a historical monument called Craigh na Dun. She accidentally presses herself against a monumental boulder and finds herself physically transported back 200 years in time and this is where the story begins.

Arousing the reader with a somewhat skeptical “I’ll give it a try” attitude, Outlander begins at a slow pace, lays the groundwork, and before you know what happened - you are hooked! It’s a page turner alright! As far fetched as the notion is of magical time-travel, Gabaldon makes it believable with her vividly colorful descriptions of Scottish countryside, primitive 18th century living conditions, historical details, mythology, and just the right amount of humor.

Rape, murder, torture, thievery, kidnapping, superstition and betrayal juxtaposed against herbal healing, religious faith, kindness and loyalty, sacrifice and love. I don’t know if Scotland had swashbucklers or if there was ever a female amongst those so titled, but the heroine of this series surely qualifies. And the best part of all is that it is merely book one of a series. When you close the book on that last page it is not farewell to Claire and Jamie - you can move right on to Book 2 - "Dragonfly in Amber".

However, be for-warned - contrary to my opinion, not everyone will love the series. Outlander has received some less than stellar reviews. It’s been criticized for various offenses: too violent, too much sex, too much violent sex, too fantastical, too boring, too preposterous, too degrading to women, too misrepresentative of Scottish history, and not enough focus on history.... so read at your own risk.

In the 20th Anniversary Edition Hardcover of "Outlander" Diana Gabaldon modestly writes in the introduction that when this book - her very first attempt at a novel - was first published in 1991, her editor said “This has to be a word-of-mouth book, because it’s too weird to describe to anyone.” and she addresses the reader, “This is true. That being so, I offer my undying gratitude to all the people who took a chance on it and then spread the word.” I am happily spreading the word. Just this afternoon I sat outside in the hot and humid sun to finish the last few chapters. The pages are now literally smeared with sweat.... and tears... tears were just dripping off my face onto those final pages.

I loved the book. Thank you Marie for turning me on to the series. ( )
  LadyLo | Apr 24, 2017 |
I expected more from this much-lauded book, more history from the 1740s, more about the Jacobites and the lead-up to the Battle of Culloden. She did a decent job of weaving information about herbal medicines of the time into the narrative. But to get to that tiny little bit of history and herbs, it turns out, you have to slog through long and frequent and graphic descriptions of sex. I’ll take a pass on the rest of the series. ( )
  countrylife | Apr 19, 2017 |
I absolutely loved this book. It was filled with action, adventure, and romance. I flew through the book and can't wait to read the rest of the series.
added by alaphi | editalaphi (Apr 3, 2016)

Een jonge, Engelse vrouw loopt kort na de Tweede Wereldoorlog tijdens een wandeling in de Schotse Hooglanden door een gespleten monoliet die deel uitmaakt van een magische cirkel. Hierdoor komt ze terecht in het turbulente Schotland van 1743 en trouwt om aan een wisse dood te ontsnappen een vogelvrij verklaarde Sejot. Beiden worden opgejaagd door een sadistische kapitein van de Engelse dragonders, maar kunnen na tal van avonturen en in het besef dat de loop van de geschiedenis veranderd kan worden, een nieuw bestaan opbouwen. Een fascinerende historische roman, waarin de auteur liefde, seks, romantiek, spanning en avontuur tot een boeiend geheel heeft samengevoegd. Goede tekening van de historische achtergrond. Een meeslepend verhaal.
added by Liyanna | editBiblion

Kuby, GabrieleÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Porter, DavinaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Regös, FerencCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sallamo-Lavi, AnuirmeliTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
People disappear all the time. Ask any policeman. Better yet, ask a journalist. Disappearances are bread-and-butter to journalists.
Young girls run away from home. Young children stray from their parents and are never seen again. Housewives reach the end of their tether and take the grocery money and a taxi to the station. International financiers change their names and vanish into the smoke of imported cigars.
Many of the lost will be found, eventually, dead or alive. Disappearances, after all, have explanations.
Usually.
To the Memory of My Mother,
Who Taught Me to Read —
Jacqueline Sykes Gabaldon
It wasn't a very likely place for disappearances, at least at first glance.
Prologue ------ People disappear all the time.
'Outlander' was published in the UK as 'Cross Stitch'.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0385319959, Paperback)

In Outlander, a 600-page time-travel romance, strong-willed and sensual Claire Randall leads a double life with a husband in one century, and a lover in another. Torn between fidelity and desire, she struggles to understand the pure intent of her heart. But don't let the number of pages and the Scottish dialect scare you. It's one of the fastest reads you'll have in your library.

While on her second honeymoon in the British Isles, Claire touches a boulder that hurls her back in time to the forbidden Castle Leoch with the MacKenzie clan. Not understanding the forces that brought her there, she becomes ensnared in life-threatening situations with a Scots warrior named James Fraser. But it isn't all spies and drudgery that she must endure. For amid her new surroundings and the terrors she faces, she is lured into love and passion like she's never known before.

I was lame and sore in every muscle when I woke next morning. I shuffled to the privy closet, then to the wash basin. My innards felt like churned butter. It felt as though I had been beaten with a blunt object, I reflected, then thought that that was very near the truth. The blunt object in question was visible as I came back to bed, looking now relatively harmless. Its possessor [Jamie] woke as I sat next to him, and examined me with something that looked very much like male smugness."
Gabaldon creates characters that you'll remember, laugh with, cry with, and cheer for long after you've finished the book. --Candy Paape

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:45 -0400)

Hurtled back through time more than two hundred years to Scotland in 1743, Claire Randall finds herself caught in the midst of an unfamiliar world torn apart by violence, pestilence, and revolution and haunted by her growing feelings for James Fraser, a young soldier.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Diana Gabaldon's book Outlander was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

LibraryThing Member Giveaway

Diana Gabaldon's book Outlander was available from LibraryThing Member Giveaway.

Diana Gabaldon is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,438,207 books! | Top bar: Always visible