Outlander by Diana Gabaldon

Outlander (original 1991; edition 1998)

by Diana Gabaldon

15,318752121 (4.24)2 / 989
Member:Elektrelf
Title:Outlander
Authors:Diana Gabaldon
Info:Delta (1998), Paperback, 656 pages

Outlander by Diana Gabaldon (1991)

Into the Wilderness by Sara Donati (pollywannabook)
    pollywannabook: The closest thing to Outlander out there. Diana Gabaldon even lent out the character of Claire for a cameo in this book
    The Winter Sea by Susanna Kearsley (Iudita)
    Timeline by Michael Crichton (leahsimone)
    A Discovery of Witches by Deborah Harkness (Anonymous user, SunnySD)
    Wildfire at Midnight by Mary Stewart (LiddyGally)
    LiddyGally: I recommend this book because the writing styles are in a similar vein rather than the stories being the same. Both, however, are set in the wilds of Scotland.
    The River of No Return by Bee Ridgway (redheadedali)
    The Bronze Horseman by Paullina Simons (littlebear514)
    littlebear514: Although the stories are COMPLETELY different; the writing is of the same quality and the stories are both deeply involved.
    Overseas by Beatriz Williams (becksdakex)
    becksdakex: Romance and time travel.
    The House on the Strand by Daphne du Maurier (aynar)
    aynar: Much better example of time travel.
    Son of the Morning by Linda Howard (amyblue)
    The Rose Garden by Susanna Kearsley (jennyj271)
    The Legend of Lady MacLaoch by Becky Banks (elbakerone)
    elbakerone: Though Banks' novel is set in present day (and is considerably shorter), the love story with the gorgeous backdrop of Scotland was reminiscent of Gabaldon's series.
    Mary Queen of Scotland and the Isles by Margaret George (MissBrangwen)
    Lady of Hay by Barbara Erskine (Yells)
    Vrouwe van Llyn by Jane Watt (margarethmiwy)
    Midwife of the Blue Ridge by Christine Blevins (Joles)
    In a Wild Wood by Sasha Lord (Jenson_AKA_DL)
    Jenson_AKA_DL: If you enjoyed the romance between Clare and Jamie I think you'll also enjoy this Highlander romance.
    The Dark Queen by Susan Carroll (infiniteletters)
    The Winter Rose by Jennifer Donnelly (fyrefly98)
    fyrefly98: Historical romance, hooray!
    Outlander Kitchen: The Official Outlander Companion Cookbook by Theresa Carle-Sanders (karensmiththomas)

English (740)  German (6)  Dutch (6)  Italian (3)  French (3)  Tagalog (1)  All (1)  Finnish (1)  Swedish (1)  All (762)
3.5, rounding up to 4
The book started out strong, then got bogged down in way too much detail and cringe-worthy sex scenes. I nearly gave up. But once I passed the halfway mark I began to get into the story and ended up liking it. There were some plot points that disturbed me (wife-beating) and others where I wish she'd given us more detail (another time-traveler)

I don't think there are many books that warrants nearly 900 pages (33 hours of listening on audio). Overall I ended up really liking it but not loving it.

Davina Porter was excellent as the narrator. She brought the story to life. ( )
  janb37 | Feb 13, 2017 |
Very good for a romance novel. ( )
  khinman7 | Feb 6, 2017 |
I was first introduced to this story through the TV show, however, reading the story was even better! Of course that's what tends to be the case, the book is better than the show. Really interesting characters, and a bit of romance was exactly what I needed to take a break from school work. I am looking forward to the next books in the series. ( )
  sasta | Feb 1, 2017 |
Not your typical historical romance

At first I wasn't sure that I was going to like this book, or the series, but there was so much hype around it and it was so highly recommended that I couldn't resist giving it a try. Much to my surprise I was very glad that I did, it wasn't the typical historical romance and right from the beginning I knew that I wasn't going to be able to put this one down. There were, however, a few slow parts in the middle of the book, but they were necessary in creating the depth of the characters and building the plot I now can see looking back, and the second half without a doubt made up for it by keeping me constantly on the edge of my seat with fingernails chewed down to nothing! Outlander was full of suspense, action, a little mystery and a lot of history and romance but they were all mixed together in a lovely balance to create a very enjoyable, 5-star read! I can't wait to start the second book in the series and have already downloaded it on my Kindle and am going to check out the first season of the TV version as well to see if that will hold a candle to the print version, and am very much looking forward to viewing Jamie in the flesh, I won't deny! ( )
  JordanAshleyPerkins | Jan 26, 2017 |
Swept across the Highlands, this is a reading adventure...

This story swept me right along with the characters, across the Highland countryside, while plunging them into the deepest core of degradation, then lifting them to the ecstasy of humanity—all in one book. This volume is a cross between historical fiction, thriller adventure, and romantic tragedy. The reader will discover more about the Scottish clans and truly feel as if sitting beside them. Although this is the first book by Diana Gabaldon in this series, the author managed to deliver a full and hearty plot, wonderfully described characters each with their own unique strong voice, and many swings up and down, pacing an epic adventure. The protagonists, Claire and Jamie, are bigger than life. I am adding the next book in the series to my must read list. I highly recommend this novel—great reading! ( )
  ElisabethZguta | Jan 23, 2017 |
I absolutely loved this book. It was filled with action, adventure, and romance. I flew through the book and can't wait to read the rest of the series.
added by alaphi | editalaphi (Apr 3, 2016)

Een jonge, Engelse vrouw loopt kort na de Tweede Wereldoorlog tijdens een wandeling in de Schotse Hooglanden door een gespleten monoliet die deel uitmaakt van een magische cirkel. Hierdoor komt ze terecht in het turbulente Schotland van 1743 en trouwt om aan een wisse dood te ontsnappen een vogelvrij verklaarde Sejot. Beiden worden opgejaagd door een sadistische kapitein van de Engelse dragonders, maar kunnen na tal van avonturen en in het besef dat de loop van de geschiedenis veranderd kan worden, een nieuw bestaan opbouwen. Een fascinerende historische roman, waarin de auteur liefde, seks, romantiek, spanning en avontuur tot een boeiend geheel heeft samengevoegd. Goede tekening van de historische achtergrond. Een meeslepend verhaal.
added by Liyanna | editBiblion

Kuby, GabrieleÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Porter, DavinaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Regös, FerencCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sallamo-Lavi, AnuirmeliTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
People disappear all the time. Ask any policeman. Better yet, ask a journalist. Disappearances are bread-and-butter to journalists.
Young girls run away from home. Young children stray from their parents and are never seen again. Housewives reach the end of their tether and take the grocery money and a taxi to the station. International financiers change their names and vanish into the smoke of imported cigars.
Many of the lost will be found, eventually, dead or alive. Disappearances, after all, have explanations.
Usually.
To the Memory of My Mother,
Who Taught Me to Read —
Jacqueline Sykes Gabaldon
It wasn't a very likely place for disappearances, at least at first glance.
Prologue ------ People disappear all the time.
'Outlander' was published in the UK as 'Cross Stitch'.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0385319959, Paperback)

In Outlander, a 600-page time-travel romance, strong-willed and sensual Claire Randall leads a double life with a husband in one century, and a lover in another. Torn between fidelity and desire, she struggles to understand the pure intent of her heart. But don't let the number of pages and the Scottish dialect scare you. It's one of the fastest reads you'll have in your library.

While on her second honeymoon in the British Isles, Claire touches a boulder that hurls her back in time to the forbidden Castle Leoch with the MacKenzie clan. Not understanding the forces that brought her there, she becomes ensnared in life-threatening situations with a Scots warrior named James Fraser. But it isn't all spies and drudgery that she must endure. For amid her new surroundings and the terrors she faces, she is lured into love and passion like she's never known before.

I was lame and sore in every muscle when I woke next morning. I shuffled to the privy closet, then to the wash basin. My innards felt like churned butter. It felt as though I had been beaten with a blunt object, I reflected, then thought that that was very near the truth. The blunt object in question was visible as I came back to bed, looking now relatively harmless. Its possessor [Jamie] woke as I sat next to him, and examined me with something that looked very much like male smugness."
Gabaldon creates characters that you'll remember, laugh with, cry with, and cheer for long after you've finished the book. --Candy Paape

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:45 -0400)

Hurtled back through time more than two hundred years to Scotland in 1743, Claire Randall finds herself caught in the midst of an unfamiliar world torn apart by violence, pestilence, and revolution and haunted by her growing feelings for James Fraser, a young soldier.… (more)

Diana Gabaldon is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Outlander by Diana Gabaldon was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 112,473,218 books! | Top bar: Always visible