Outlander by Diana Gabaldon

Outlander (original 1991; edition 1998)

by Diana Gabaldon

13,603645156 (4.26)2 / 915
Authors:Diana Gabaldon
Info:Delta (1998), Paperback, 656 pages

Outlander by Diana Gabaldon (1991)

Into the Wilderness by Sara Donati (pollywannabook)
    pollywannabook: The closest thing to Outlander out there. Diana Gabaldon even lent out the character of Claire for a cameo in this book
    The Winter Sea by Susanna Kearsley (Iudita)
    A Discovery of Witches: A Novel by Deborah Harkness (Anonymous user, SunnySD)
    Timeline by Michael Crichton (leahsimone)
    Wildfire at Midnight by Mary Stewart (LiddyGally)
    LiddyGally: I recommend this book because the writing styles are in a similar vein rather than the stories being the same. Both, however, are set in the wilds of Scotland.
    The River of No Return by Bee Ridgway (redheadedali)
    The Bronze Horseman by Paullina Simons (littlebear514)
    littlebear514: Although the stories are COMPLETELY different; the writing is of the same quality and the stories are both deeply involved.
    Overseas by Beatriz Williams (becksdakex)
    becksdakex: Romance and time travel.
    Son of the Morning by Linda Howard (amyblue)
    The House on the Strand by Daphne du Maurier (aynar)
    aynar: Much better example of time travel.
    Mary Queen of Scotland and the Isles by Margaret George (MissBrangwen)
    The Rose Garden by Susanna Kearsley (jennyj271)
    The Legend of Lady MacLaoch by Becky Banks (elbakerone)
    elbakerone: Though Banks' novel is set in present day (and is considerably shorter), the love story with the gorgeous backdrop of Scotland was reminiscent of Gabaldon's series.
    Lady of Hay by Barbara Erskine (bucketyell)
    Midwife of the Blue Ridge by Christine Blevins (Joles)
    The Dark Queen by Susan Carroll (infiniteletters)
    The Winter Rose by Jennifer Donnelly (fyrefly98)
    fyrefly98: Historical romance, hooray!
    Vrouwe van Llyn by Jane Watt (margarethmiwy)
    In a Wild Wood by Sasha Lord (Jenson_AKA_DL)
    Jenson_AKA_DL: If you enjoyed the romance between Clare and Jamie I think you'll also enjoy this Highlander romance.
    The Firebird by Susanna Kearsley (LAKobow)
    LAKobow: Also involves elements of realism mixed with fantasy, Scotland, romance, and historical fiction.

English (635)  German (6)  Dutch (5)  Italian (3)  French (2)  Tagalog (1)  Finnish (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  All languages (654)

Read this review on my blog

So I settled down to read this giant book and I could not stop. Claire has inadvertently been transported through time from 1946 to 1744 by some ancient standing stones in Scotland. Confused and disorientated she gets whisked away by some Scottish highlanders – it’s the story of her struggles and adventures trying to navigate the 18th Century and trying to get back to her own time.

I was absolutely fascinated all the way through. It was gritty and realistic story to me – it is chock full of violence, sex, and sometimes both at the same time.

I have always wondered what it would be like to randomly go back in time, and Gabaldon really brings the world to life. The book is really massive but felt like it wasn’t long enough – I just wanted to soak in every single last detail.

The characters are unique, and I got really attached to a number of characters. I must confess there are a few tragic parts of the story that made shed some tears, I was so immersed in it.

This is a 5-star book for me because I was constantly thinking about it and I desperately wanted to find out what was next. I would recommend it for people who like their historical fiction gritty, dirty and staying true to the time period in which it was set. It has a strong romance throughout and I really loved that – and I don’t normally like romances all that much.
  4everfanatical | Nov 26, 2015 |
This is my favorite book series of all time! Historical fiction, time travel, romance...it has it all. These books are so well written, I feel like I know these characters personally. I've read this book more than a dozen times and if I could only read one book for the rest of my life this would be it. ( )
  jennyj271 | Nov 26, 2015 |
"It wasn't a very likely place for disappearances, at least at first glance."

I have been recommended by a lot of people to read this book before the show was even a thought, but I did not pick it up because of it's length. It was really long, but it was needed to be so long to fit all the detail and understanding of the reasons for why our main character, Claire Randell, who comes from 1940s, decides to stay in a land 200 years earlier. This book is just a beginning of a series that travels around the theme of "if you knew what was to happen, would you change it?"

This book is a great idea and a wonderful beginning. I would recommend this book to anyone interested in ancient European history. ( )
  LacyLK | Nov 21, 2015 |
is immediately engrossing from line one. It is also surprisingly and delightfully witty and humorous. The heroine, Claire, is a modern, independent woman with strength and opinions, but also vulnerabilities. The story is romantic, adventurous and historically fascinating. Obviously well-researched, ...http://www.theloopylibrarian.com/outlander-obsession/ ( )
  TheLoopyLibrarian | Nov 16, 2015 |
I have read this book many times over the years and my worn and battered copy still captures my heart every single time I read it. This is the best book in the series. ( )
  mojo09226 | Nov 12, 2015 |
Een jonge, Engelse vrouw loopt kort na de Tweede Wereldoorlog tijdens een wandeling in de Schotse Hooglanden door een gespleten monoliet die deel uitmaakt van een magische cirkel. Hierdoor komt ze terecht in het turbulente Schotland van 1743 en trouwt om aan een wisse dood te ontsnappen een vogelvrij verklaarde Sejot. Beiden worden opgejaagd door een sadistische kapitein van de Engelse dragonders, maar kunnen na tal van avonturen en in het besef dat de loop van de geschiedenis veranderd kan worden, een nieuw bestaan opbouwen. Een fascinerende historische roman, waarin de auteur liefde, seks, romantiek, spanning en avontuur tot een boeiend geheel heeft samengevoegd. Goede tekening van de historische achtergrond. Een meeslepend verhaal.
added by Liyanna | editBiblion

Kuby, GabrieleÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Porter, DavinaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Regös, FerencCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sallamo-Lavi, AnuirmeliTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
People disappear all the time. Ask any policeman. Better yet, ask a journalist. Disappearances are bread-and-butter to journalists.
Young girls run away from home. Young children stray from their parents and are never seen again. Housewives reach the end of their tether and take the grocery money and a taxi to the station. International financiers change their names and vanish into the smoke of imported cigars.
Many of the lost will be found, eventually, dead or alive. Disappearances, after all, have explanations.
To the Memory of My Mother,
Who Taught Me to Read —
Jacqueline Sykes Gabaldon
It wasn't a very likely place for disappearances, at least at first glance.
Prologue ------ People disappear all the time.
'Outlander' was published in the UK as 'Cross Stitch'.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0385319959, Paperback)

In Outlander, a 600-page time-travel romance, strong-willed and sensual Claire Randall leads a double life with a husband in one century, and a lover in another. Torn between fidelity and desire, she struggles to understand the pure intent of her heart. But don't let the number of pages and the Scottish dialect scare you. It's one of the fastest reads you'll have in your library.

While on her second honeymoon in the British Isles, Claire touches a boulder that hurls her back in time to the forbidden Castle Leoch with the MacKenzie clan. Not understanding the forces that brought her there, she becomes ensnared in life-threatening situations with a Scots warrior named James Fraser. But it isn't all spies and drudgery that she must endure. For amid her new surroundings and the terrors she faces, she is lured into love and passion like she's never known before.

I was lame and sore in every muscle when I woke next morning. I shuffled to the privy closet, then to the wash basin. My innards felt like churned butter. It felt as though I had been beaten with a blunt object, I reflected, then thought that that was very near the truth. The blunt object in question was visible as I came back to bed, looking now relatively harmless. Its possessor [Jamie] woke as I sat next to him, and examined me with something that looked very much like male smugness."
Gabaldon creates characters that you'll remember, laugh with, cry with, and cheer for long after you've finished the book. --Candy Paape

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:45 -0400)

Hurtled back through time more than two hundred years to Scotland in 1743, Claire Randall finds herself caught in the midst of an unfamiliar world torn apart by violence, pestilence, and revolution and haunted by her growing feelings for James Fraser, a young soldier.… (more)

Diana Gabaldon is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Outlander by Diana Gabaldon was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,963,815 books! | Top bar: Always visible