Outlander by Diana Gabaldon

Outlander (original 1991; edition 1998)

by Diana Gabaldon

13,046611175 (4.28)2 / 895
Member:Elektrelf
Title:Outlander
Authors:Diana Gabaldon
Info:Delta (1998), Paperback, 656 pages

Outlander by Diana Gabaldon (1991)

Recently added byscudder5, genespears, DaisyMay, ssleif, private library, Luvyoga2, Elena7, jcrouse9, ecoprob, looks4hawks
    Into the Wilderness by Sara Donati (pollywannabook)
    pollywannabook: The closest thing to Outlander out there. Diana Gabaldon even lent out the character of Claire for a cameo in this book
    The Winter Sea by Susanna Kearsley (Iudita)
    A Discovery of Witches: A Novel (All Souls Trilogy) by Deborah Harkness (Anonymous user, SunnySD)
    Timeline by Michael Crichton (leahsimone)
    The Bronze Horseman by Paullina Simons (littlebear514)
    littlebear514: Although the stories are COMPLETELY different; the writing is of the same quality and the stories are both deeply involved.
    The River of No Return by Bee Ridgway (redheadedali)
    Overseas by Beatriz Williams (becksdakex)
    becksdakex: Romance and time travel.
    Son of the Morning by Linda Howard (amyblue)
    Wildfire at Midnight by Mary Stewart (LiddyGally)
    LiddyGally: I recommend this book because the writing styles are in a similar vein rather than the stories being the same. Both, however, are set in the wilds of Scotland.
    Mary Queen of Scotland and the Isles by Margaret George (MissBrangwen)
    The House on the Strand by Daphne du Maurier (aynar)
    aynar: Much better example of time travel.
    The Legend of Lady MacLaoch by Becky Banks (elbakerone)
    elbakerone: Though Banks' novel is set in present day (and is considerably shorter), the love story with the gorgeous backdrop of Scotland was reminiscent of Gabaldon's series.
    Lady of Hay by Barbara Erskine (bucketyell)
    The Winter Rose by Jennifer Donnelly (fyrefly98)
    fyrefly98: Historical romance, hooray!
    Midwife of the Blue Ridge by Christine Blevins (Joles)
    Vrouwe van Llyn by Jane Watt (margarethmiwy)
    In a Wild Wood by Sasha Lord (Jenson_AKA_DL)
    Jenson_AKA_DL: If you enjoyed the romance between Clare and Jamie I think you'll also enjoy this Highlander romance.
    The Dark Queen by Susan Carroll (infiniteletters)
    The Firebird by Susanna Kearsley (LAKobow)
    LAKobow: Also involves elements of realism mixed with fantasy, Scotland, romance, and historical fiction.
    InuYasha, Volume 1 by Rumiko Takahashi (mene)
    mene: Both stories are about a female protagonist who travels a few hundred years to the past and meets a male whom she falls in love with. In both stories, the female protagonist travels back and forth to the past and her own time. "Inuyasha" is historical fantasy (it includes demons) and "Outlander" is historical fiction (the main characters get involved in historical events).… (more)

English (598)  German (6)  Dutch (4)  Italian (3)  French (3)  Tagalog (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Finnish (1)  All languages (617)
Outlander is a Historical novel with the capital "H" - meticulously researched, detailed and descriptive, which makes you helplessly fall in love with the 18th century Scotland, its culture and its people.

The main characters, Claire and Jamie, are the most complicated, consistent, independent and real characters a reader could possibly wish for. I liked Claire from the first page - she has a witty comeback to absolutely anything, her thoughts are a blast to read, plus she radiates intelligence like no other. After all, being stuck in a time that precedes your own by 200 years, and passing as one to belong there without a doubt, requires intellect, knowledge, adaptability and open-mindedness. The same can be said about Jamie, who is incredibly smart, loyal and does not have an evil bone in his body.

You might read somewhere that this book is about cheating on your husband or a lot of sex, and although these things exist in the story, it is not about that by a long shot. Morality of what she had to do to survive bothers Claire greatly, but she did not jump into any those situations willingly - she just did not have any other options, and she made the best of a horrible and unthinkable situation. The fact that she fell in love along the way only adds a sense of reality to the wonderful story. ( )
  v_allery | Apr 19, 2015 |
An epic tale of magic,mystery and a love that is just as epic as the hills of Scotland. ( )
  silversurfer | Apr 17, 2015 |
I freely admit that one of the joys of reading this book was directly connected to having already seen 2 or 3 episodes of the television series based off of it before I started reading. And then reading along and watching at the same time. I also freely admit that almost immediately after I saw the last episode of this season or part of a season or whatever it was, I started to lose interest in the book. 31% of the book brings you up to the middle of episode 7. I was tracking. 44% brings you up to and then past episode 8, the mid-season break point.

Then at 48%, not even half way, I was almost ready to call it quits with the book.

'I mean to make you call me Master'
'. . . a sadist? Why, maybe you called me right . . .'

Suddenly the book I'd spent five or six days with, roughly 430 pages, had become a bdsm, bondage book? It's true I'd read those, and even read some after reading Outlander, but I normally like knowing before I start reading a book that it contains something like that. So that almost made me stop reading. Luckily it moved past that relatively quickly. Relatively.

So, without being invested with the book via the tv series, I might have never attempted to read it, nor made it past that 'oops, it's a BDSM book' moment. But I had been invested in it. And made it past some of the bumps and hurdles others might not have desired to leap.

The book is both rather long, and rather packed with stuff. Put it this way, the show producers were able to make 8+ hours of shows, 8 episodes, out of the first 41% of the book. And while there is stuff in the show not in the book (like the 'possessed boy' scenes in the show), there were also stuff in the book not in the show (like the Loch Ness "water horse" visitation, and the baby left out on the hill). So the 'stuff' packed in by the show producers might (or might not) equal the stuff they left out. So back to 8+ hours out of 41% of the book.

Bah, I finished this book back on October 5th, and am now attempting to write something about it, now being November 24th. Not really sure what I can say now. Book sticks with me. Dug deep into my subconscious. Quite thrilling read, it was. Dug deep enough that I've, as yet, not even attempted examining the next book in the series. That and there was some vague indication that the story shifts focus onto other characters. Don't recall if that occurs in next book, or later in the series. But that is off-putting. Looked it up, yes second book involves an additional character. Though I'm not sure if that means a change of focus. Mmphs. Not sure I'm able to get myself to ever actually start another massively large book. 743 page Dragonfly in Amber, I mean. Second in the series.

I've rambled. Time to stop rambling. ( )
  Lexxi | Apr 6, 2015 |
I read this when it first came out, but that was years ago. So it was like a brand new book for me. I listened to the Audible version and read the book. The narrator, Davina Porter, was outstanding! I will definitely read the entire series, in time. I love time travel books and I loved this one. I'm also watching the mini series on Starz, and it's awesome! ( )
  sandra.k.heinzman | Apr 2, 2015 |
  sandra.k.heinzman | Apr 2, 2015 |

Diana Gabaldonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Anastassatos, MariettaCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Carbain, JeanCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Porter, DavinaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sallamo-Lavi, AnuirmeliTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
People disappear all the time. Ask any policeman. Better yet, ask a journalist. Disappearances are bread-and-butter to journalists.
Young girls run away from home. Young children stray from their parents and are never seen again. Housewives reach the end of their tether and take the grocery money and a taxi to the station. International financiers change their names and vanish into the smoke of imported cigars.
Many of the lost will be found, eventually, dead or alive. Disappearances, after all, have explanations.
Usually.
To the Memory of My Mother,
Who Taught Me to Read —
Jacqueline Sykes Gabaldon
It wasn't a very likely place for disappearances, at least at first glance.
Prologue ------ People disappear all the time.
'Outlander' was published in the UK as 'Cross Stitch'.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0385319959, Paperback)

In Outlander, a 600-page time-travel romance, strong-willed and sensual Claire Randall leads a double life with a husband in one century, and a lover in another. Torn between fidelity and desire, she struggles to understand the pure intent of her heart. But don't let the number of pages and the Scottish dialect scare you. It's one of the fastest reads you'll have in your library.

While on her second honeymoon in the British Isles, Claire touches a boulder that hurls her back in time to the forbidden Castle Leoch with the MacKenzie clan. Not understanding the forces that brought her there, she becomes ensnared in life-threatening situations with a Scots warrior named James Fraser. But it isn't all spies and drudgery that she must endure. For amid her new surroundings and the terrors she faces, she is lured into love and passion like she's never known before.

I was lame and sore in every muscle when I woke next morning. I shuffled to the privy closet, then to the wash basin. My innards felt like churned butter. It felt as though I had been beaten with a blunt object, I reflected, then thought that that was very near the truth. The blunt object in question was visible as I came back to bed, looking now relatively harmless. Its possessor [Jamie] woke as I sat next to him, and examined me with something that looked very much like male smugness."
Gabaldon creates characters that you'll remember, laugh with, cry with, and cheer for long after you've finished the book. --Candy Paape

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:26:38 -0400)

Hurtled back through time more than two hundred years to Scotland in 1743, Claire Randall finds herself caught in the midst of an unfamiliar world torn apart by violence, pestilence, and revolution and haunted by her growing feelings for James Fraser, a young soldier.… (more)

Diana Gabaldon is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Outlander by Diana Gabaldon was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,749,187 books! | Top bar: Always visible