1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die by…

1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die (2006)

by Peter Boxall (Editor)

Other authors: Peter Ackroyd (Introduction)

Series: 1001 (Books), 1001 ... before you die, 1001

2,069694,610 (3.89)1 / 467
Recently added byprivate library, coffeymuse, Helen1921, dom61uk, booksandcats4ever, KinokoAnny, Hennylove, vippsn

English (57)  Dutch (4)  Spanish (3)  Norwegian (1)  French (1)  Swedish (1)  German (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (69)
I agree with many of the reviewers that the title of this book is quite misleading - given that it is a list of novels (loosely defined) only, and quite an unbalanced list as well. One would think "1001 books you must read before you die" would select the most thought-provoking and heart-stirring works in the whole of humanity's several thousand years of literary endeavour - including not just classics such as Homer's Odyssey or The Iliad, but books on breakthroughs in scientific thought, such as Charles Darwin's "The origin of species" or books of significant historical impact such as Thomas Paine's "The rights of man", Karl Marx's "Capital", or Mary Wollstonecraft's "A vindication of the rights of women". Even books of relatively low literary achievement have had enormous impact on our understanding of the world and human experience - such as "the diary of Anne Frank". None of these works are included of course.
Perhaps one of the aims of the book is to draw attention, not to the obvious classics of literature, but to a long list of relatively unknown authors and titles that deserve to be read. In any case it is an impossible task to satisfy everyone - as made clear by Jennifer Byrne in the Preface. Fair enough!
However I was annoyed that this fiction list is still so unbalanced, with virtually all the titles by some authors, such as J. M. Coetzee, Philip Roth, Samuel Beckett (not his plays however), Paul Auster, etc. - but only three by John Steinbeck, only one by Annie Proulx, one by Barbara Kingsolver, and none at all by many other distinguished writers. For all its faults though, I found this book introduced me to an amazing number of authors that I would now like to read - though may never have time to of course..
Checking the list against my own library, I discovered that I own only 53 out of the 1001, and have read only 56 titles out of the list. So many to catch up on!
  noellib | Jul 4, 2018 |
I've noticed a lot of people doing the 1001 books challenge, so I got this out of my library in the hope that it would yield some good recommendations. I needn't have bothered. I certainly don't recommend it to others. It's long and unbalanced really - 12 books by some authors, none by others, and very much focusing on popular books, classics... Nothing obscure or interesting really.

I did get a lot of ideas for my reading list, though not necessarily books I'll like - more like books I will try. I like the style of the book - how it gives small descriptions of each of the 1001 books. However, many of the descriptions are more inclined towards what the contributor thought, rather than details of the actual book or a synopsis. Educated-looking critical essays are all very well, but not particularly helpful for me to choose what I might like to read. Also, this tome hardly mentions any books pre-19th century. All in all, I'm disappointed. Don't buy this book - borrow it if you want to read it. ( )
  lydiasbooks | Jan 17, 2018 |
Skimming this monster! ( )
  debs913 | Apr 2, 2016 |
2006 ( )
  ChrisPisarczyk | Mar 17, 2016 |
I am disappointed that this book does not include any non-fiction nor anything written in verse. This excludes a lot of the titles that I assumed would be included in an exhaustive "Books You Must Read" list. The emphasis is strictly on novels, no philosophy, science, or Shakespeare.

I find the title to be misleading and the book, disappointing. ( )
  jeangabrielle | Mar 13, 2016 |
An odd book fell into my hands recently, a doorstopper with the irresistible title “1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die.” That sounds like a challenge, with a subtle insult embedded in the premise. It suggests that you, the supposedly educated reader, might have read half the list at best. Like one of those carnival strength-testers, it dares you to find out whether your reading powers rate as He-Man or Limp Wrist.

Boxall, PeterEditorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
d'Ormesson, JeanPréfacesecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lamin, LorenaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Marcy-Benitez, AnneTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Philipse, MartheTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
There is an ancient connection between death, storytelling, and the number 1001. (Introduction)

For discerning bibliophiles and readers who enjoy unforgettable classic literature, 1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die is a trove of reviews covering a century of memorable writing. Each work of literature featured here is a seminal work key to understanding and appreciating the written word.The featured works have been handpicked by a team of international critics and literary luminaries, including Derek Attridge (world expert on James Joyce), Cedric Watts (renowned authority on Joseph Conrad and Graham Greene), Laura Marcus (noted Virginia Woolf expert), and David Mariott (poet and expert on African-American literature), among some twenty others.Addictive, browsable, knowledgeable—1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die will be a boon companion for anyone who loves good writing and an inspiration for anyone who is just beginning to discover a love of books. Each entry is accompanied by an authoritative yet opinionated critical essay describing the importance and influence of the work in question. Also included are publishing history and career details about the authors, as well as reproductions of period dust jackets and book designs.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:57:44 -0400)

"From Aesop's Fables to Zeno's Conscience and from Achebe to Zola, 1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die offers concise critical insight into the books and the writers that have excited the world's imagination. From Billy Bathgate, Billy Bud, and Billy Liar to Calvino, Camus, and Coetzee, here you'll find the big ideas and the best-sellers. From the popular drama of Louisa May Alcott to the stomach-turning cult fiction of Chuck Palahniuk, you'll find the writing that has made the world over and over again." "Discover the stories behind the adjectives: Dickensian, Kafkaesque, Rabelaisian and the writers behind the stories. From the dark recesses of Marquis de Sade's jail cell to Aldous Huxley's Brave New World, from The Awakening and Enigma of Arrival to The End of the Road and The End of the Story, explore the greatest novels of all time."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,941,441 books! | Top bar: Always visible