1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die by…

1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die (2006)

by Peter Boxall (Editor), boxallpeter

Other authors: Peter Ackroyd (Introduction)

Series: 1001 (Books), 1001 ... before you die, 1001

1,953683,485 (3.9)1 / 451

English (56)  Dutch (4)  Spanish (3)  Norwegian (1)  French (1)  Swedish (1)  German (1)  Danish (1)  All (68)
Skimming this monster! ( )
  debs913 | Apr 2, 2016 |
2006 ( )
  ChrisPisarczyk | Mar 17, 2016 |
I am disappointed that this book does not include any non-fiction nor anything written in verse. This excludes a lot of the titles that I assumed would be included in an exhaustive "Books You Must Read" list. The emphasis is strictly on novels, no philosophy, science, or Shakespeare.

I find the title to be misleading and the book, disappointing. ( )
  jeangabrielle | Mar 13, 2016 |

I find the title to be misleading and the book, disappointing. ( )
  jeangabrielle | Mar 13, 2016 |
I bought this book just before Christmas and have taken the last month or so to really study it. My copy is the "Revised and Updated" version published in 2010, and one positive change I've noted it that they added Jane Austen back to the lists (she was completely removed in the last edition, can you imagine?! Not a single Austen title in the 1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die?! What exactly did make those lists?) But I digress...

The list of books contained in this guide has been compiled by a group of over 100 authors and literary critics. It is important to note here that you have to consider the people making the lists when deciding whether the books would actually make your list of 1001, or your list of 101 for that matter. The books that I read for example are mostly recommended to me by other readers and book bloggers. In fact, I've been known to go out of my way to avoid books with what I deem excessive literary aclaim and hype. For my purposes, 1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die is a fantastic guide for the more classic titles, many of which I'd never heard of before.

All thing considered, warts and all 1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die is an excellent reference and guide to some of the most well-written literature found in the world. The lists are broken up by century and it is easy to find something that looks like a winner. I have a sneaking suspicion that all book lovers enjoy these lists and guides, but I have to say that 1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die is not for everyone. I plan to use my copy in conjunction with other guides such as Read This Next and The Complete Idiot's Guide to the Ultimate Reading List. With these guides, fantastic sites like GoodReads and Novelist, and other readers and bloggers, I will never run out of reading material. ( )
  susanbevans | Jul 1, 2014 |
An odd book fell into my hands recently, a doorstopper with the irresistible title “1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die.” That sounds like a challenge, with a subtle insult embedded in the premise. It suggests that you, the supposedly educated reader, might have read half the list at best. Like one of those carnival strength-testers, it dares you to find out whether your reading powers rate as He-Man or Limp Wrist.

Boxall, PeterEditorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
boxallpetermain authorall editionsconfirmed
Ackroyd, PeterIntroductionsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Borghi, AntonellaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Byrne, JessicaForewordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Calzada, Francisco JavierTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
There is an ancient connection between death, storytelling, and the number 1001. (Introduction)

For discerning bibliophiles and readers who enjoy unforgettable classic literature, 1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die is a trove of reviews covering a century of memorable writing. Each work of literature featured here is a seminal work key to understanding and appreciating the written word.The featured works have been handpicked by a team of international critics and literary luminaries, including Derek Attridge (world expert on James Joyce), Cedric Watts (renowned authority on Joseph Conrad and Graham Greene), Laura Marcus (noted Virginia Woolf expert), and David Mariott (poet and expert on African-American literature), among some twenty others.Addictive, browsable, knowledgeable—1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die will be a boon companion for anyone who loves good writing and an inspiration for anyone who is just beginning to discover a love of books. Each entry is accompanied by an authoritative yet opinionated critical essay describing the importance and influence of the work in question. Also included are publishing history and career details about the authors, as well as reproductions of period dust jackets and book designs.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:57:44 -0400)

"From Aesop's Fables to Zeno's Conscience and from Achebe to Zola, 1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die offers concise critical insight into the books and the writers that have excited the world's imagination. From Billy Bathgate, Billy Bud, and Billy Liar to Calvino, Camus, and Coetzee, here you'll find the big ideas and the best-sellers. From the popular drama of Louisa May Alcott to the stomach-turning cult fiction of Chuck Palahniuk, you'll find the writing that has made the world over and over again." "Discover the stories behind the adjectives: Dickensian, Kafkaesque, Rabelaisian and the writers behind the stories. From the dark recesses of Marquis de Sade's jail cell to Aldous Huxley's Brave New World, from The Awakening and Enigma of Arrival to The End of the Road and The End of the Story, explore the greatest novels of all time."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,754,025 books! | Top bar: Always visible