The Eye by Vladimir Nabokov

The Eye

by Vladimir Nabokov

Recently added bybobparr, tofugirl, bridgitshearth, private library, Noumena_Press, listog, FranticAntelope, Alloc
Legacy LibrariesNewton 'Bud' Flounders

Come sempre, perfetto. Credo che non si possano fare valutazioni comparative: ci sono gli scrittori, poi c'è Nabokov. In rete si trova una interessante lezione sul testo (occhio Nabokov PDF marchesini). ( )
  bobparr | Dec 14, 2014 |
In the Berlin of 1925 a Russian emigré, one Smurov, accosted and humiliated by a jealous husband, goes home and shoots himself. What follows is the story of his bifurcated, pseudo-afterlife. As if he weren't mixed up enough, in his dissociative state he has the ill luck to fall in love. Breathtaking narrative patterning here, beautiful in a way simple crystalline forms are beautiful. A marvel that can be read in a single sitting. My second reading, I've upgraded it to 5 stars. ( )
  William345 | Jun 11, 2014 |
After finishing this book I realized I didn't really care that I had read it. As always Nabokov really nailed some of the sentences.

One particular bit that pleased me:

"It is amazing to catch another's room by surprise. The furniture froze in amazement when I switched on the light. Somebody had left a letter on the table; the empty envelope lay there like an old useless mother, and the little sheet of note paper seemed to be sitting up like a robust babe."

I will likely forget this books plot entirely in the next 24 hours... ( )
  dtn620 | Sep 22, 2013 |
Reading The Eye has fuelled my desire to read everything by Nabokov that I can lay my hands on. Beautifully woven, with a cluster of characters living in their own, claustrophobic social world set the scene for the second act of this book. The Eye is a story about selfhood; about who we are, to ourselves and far more importantly, who we are in the eyes of others. Are we really just one person? Is not the personality of someone largely a mirror of what we contain in ourselves, as opposed to their own thought processes?

As usual, Nabokov places the reader in a frame of mind which causes them to explore their own assumptions; not of the outside world, but of that which lay inside. ( )
  BeeQuiet | May 2, 2011 |
Really enjoyed this book. As always, the language is brilliant, and I think that the character dying and in his rebirth becoming nothing but an amplified reflection of how others see him is fascinating. It's not really very difficult to guess the 'mystery' of the book though, but then it's not really a mystery story I suppose so that's ok. I wish I had the energy to write more but sadly I don't. ( )
  TerrapinJetta | Mar 13, 2011 |

Vladimir Nabokovprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Coutinho, M.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 067972723X, Paperback)

Nabokov's fourth novel, The Eye is as much a farcical detective story as it is a profoundly refractive tale about the vicissitudes of identities and appearances. Nabokov's protagonist, Smurov, is a lovelorn, excruciatingly self-conscious Russian émigré living in prewar Berlin, who commits suicide after being humiliated by a jealous husband, only to suffer even greater indignities in the afterlife.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:32:18 -0400)

Classic fiction. Smurov, a fussily self-conscious Russian tutor, shoots himself after a humiliating beating by his mistress' husband. Unsure whether his suicide has been successful or not, Smurov drifts around Berlin, observing his acquaintances, but finds he can discover very little about his own life from the opinions of his distracted, confused fellow- migr s. Nabokov's shortest novel, The Eye is both a satirical detective story and a wonderfully layered exploration of identity, appearance and the loss of self in a world of word-play and confusion.… (more)

67 wanted2 pay5 pay

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,401,908 books! | Top bar: Always visible