Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's…

Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal (2002)

by Christopher Moore

A Dirty Job: A Novel by Christopher Moore (Ti99er)
    Good Omens: The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch by Terry Pratchett (yokai, jscape2000)
    jscape2000: These authors revel in taking the things you think you know, turning them sideways and shaking them.
    The Lust Lizard of Melancholy Cove by Christopher Moore (Ti99er)
    Fluke, or, I Know Why the Winged Whale Sings by Christopher Moore (Ti99er)
    American Gods by Neil Gaiman (andomck)
    andomck: Religion, realism, fantasy, humor, low brow, etc. Makes sense to me.
    Practical Demonkeeping by Christopher Moore (sturlington)
    sturlington: Character cross-overs.
    The Preservationist by David Maine (PhilipFOBrienJr)
    PhilipFOBrienJr: An amusing take on the Noah/Flood story
    Unholy Night by Seth Grahame-Smith (MyriadBooks)
    Bloodsucking Fiends: A Love Story by Christopher Moore (Ti99er)
    You Don't Have to Be Evil to Work Here, But it Helps by Tom Holt (Ti99er)
    Beat the Reaper by Josh Bazell (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    The Pericles Commission by Gary Corby (meggyweg)
    Nothing But Blue Skies by Tom Holt (Ti99er)
    Death: A Life by George Pendle (meggyweg, meggyweg)
    Who's Afraid of Beowulf? by Tom Holt (Dr.Science)
    Dr.Science: The English author Tom Holt is relatively unknown in America, but very popular in England. If you enjoy Jasper Fforde or Christopher Moore you will most certainly enjoy Tom Holt's wry sense of English humor and the absurd. He has written a number of excellent books including Expecting Someone Taller, and Flying Dutch, but they may be difficult to find at your library or bookstore.… (more)
    Ladies and Gentlemen, The Bible! by Jonathan Goldstein (meggyweg)
    Fated by S. G. Browne (Phantasma)
    The Road Trip Dialogues by Jass Richards (ptittle)
    ptittle: same weird off-beat funny with underlying serious
    Only Begotten Daughter by James Morrow (the_awesome_opossum)
    the_awesome_opossum: Only Begotten Daughter is darker and less whimsical than Lamb, but the protagonist - the daughter of God - also struggles with her divinity and purpose on Earth. It is funny in spots, but in a more wry and satirical way. So if you liked the more serious parts of Lamb, try this book… (more)

English (364)  French (3)  German (3)  Italian (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (372)
I really wanted to like this, but it wasn't my style of humor. Ah well.
  Codonnelly | Jun 24, 2019 |
Everyone knows the story of Jesus Christ, but this is a different story. Between the time of his birth and when Jesus's ministry begins in him 30s, Jesus's life is unknown. Fortunately, there's his childhood best friend Biff here to tell the tale... and it may not be *quite* what you would expect. ( )
  JeffcoHumanists | Apr 7, 2019 |

First off, this is totally a work of fiction, but it's pretty sacrilegious. Christopher Moore has taken a lot of liberties with the unknown parts of the story. There's a lot of crude humor. I would caution Christians to be careful before picking up this book - while it's super funny and clever, there is the question of blasphemy. I did some searching and it seems like the Christian community at a whole is okay with the existence of this books, but it's a personal choice.

Overall, I really enjoyed it. I thought it was clever and the two boys' journal across China and India fascinated me. I really enjoyed that alongside Christianity and Judaism, he discussed Hinduism, Taoism, and Buddhism. This book made me laugh out loud with silliness when I least expected it. The latter half of the book deals with Christ's ministry and there a more respectful tone in that section, keeping more or less to the events and watching the rest of the story play out. most the taken liberties are in the unknown parts of the story, and the attention to detail in the later bits shows a lot of study.

Generally speaking, I'd recommend this book, but with caution. I found it funny, but I don't think this is a book for everyone. ( )
  Morteana | Mar 2, 2019 |
What if Jesus of Nazareth had grown up with a wisecracking buddy named Biff? And what if Biff were commissioned to write his own Gospel story and bring some levity to the Jesus story?

Christopher Moore writes very, very funny stuff. Many times over, laugh-out-loud funny stuff. It's madcap, goofy, and both respectful and well-researched as well as being a fun speculation that sticks-in-the-mud will find sacrilegious. Yet underneath the story, the reader is invited to consider, perhaps for the first time, the humanity of Jesus, the truly normal portion of who Jesus was, as a pre-teen, a teenager, a young adult who was on a mission that was extremely difficult and confusing.

The first third and last third are the strongest parts of the book. The middle is more slapstick and contain more stories that the author carefully and blatantly describes as speculation for the sake of a fun story.

As a novel, I loved this book and haven't laughed harder reading anything in a long, long time. ( )
  patl | Feb 18, 2019 |
This was a tough book for me to get through. I picked it up based upon a recommendation from another reader here on Goodreads. This was just not my type of book. I finished it because there were parts throughout that I enjoyed, especially at the beginning to draw in the reader, but the middle just seemed to go on and on without a real point. There was a point at the end of the book but I think there was just too much extraneous happenings and a little too much vulgarity for my tastes. I would equate part of this book to the comedy of Will Farrell. Having said that, I think others might really enjoy this book depending on their particular interests. ( )
  Carlathelibrarian | Feb 5, 2019 |
"Lamb" is an incredibly compelling work even for readers who don't agree with Moore's conclusions. The book is also laugh out loud funny at times, which really helps during some of more irreverent parts of the story.

Interesting, original, not for every taste.
added by mysterymax | editKirkus Review (May 20, 2010)

Christopher Mooreprimary authorall editionscalculated
Balder, Hugo E.Narratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Baranger, LucTraductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Estrella, JuanjoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stevens, FisherNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
God is a comedian playing to an audience that is afraid to laugh. - Voltaire
Author's blessing

If you have come to these pages for laughter, may you find it.
If you are here to be offended, may your ire rise and your blood boil.
If you seek adventure, may this story sing you away to blissful escape.
If you need to test or confirm your beliefs, may you reach comfortable conclusions.
All books revel perfection, by what they are or what they are not.
May you find that which you seek, in these pages or outside them.
May you find perfection, and know it by name.
The angel was cleaning out his closets when the call came.
You think you know how this story is going to end, but you don't.
I learned how to boil down goat urine to make explosives today.
Hi, I'm the Messiah, God wanted you to have this bacon.
I know that even now, having watched enough television, you probably won't even refer to them as lepers so as to spare their feelings. You probably call them 'parts-dropping-off challenged' or something.

In this work the author seeks to fill in the "lost" years of Jesus through the point of view of Jesus' childhood pal, "Levi bar Alphaeus who is called Biff". Biff has been resurrected in the present day, to complete missing parts of the Bible. Supposedly under the watchful eye of the angel Raziel, who turns out to be more interested in the soap operas on the television in their hotel, Biff is made to write down his account of the decades missing from Jesus' life. During these years he and Joshua (which, as Biff points out, "Jesus" is the Greek version of, and thus in Galilee Jesus was called Joshua Bar Joseph) travel to the East to seek the Three Wise Men who attended Joshua's birth, so that he may learn how to become the Messiah.
Biff is quite a guy/His friend is the Messiah/Find out what that's like (jeshakespeare)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0380813815, Paperback)

While the Bible may be the word of God, transcribed by divinely inspired men, it does not provide a full (or even partial) account of the life of Jesus Christ. Lucky for us that Christopher Moore presents a funny, lighthearted satire of the life of Christ--from his childhood days up to his crucifixion--in Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal. This clever novel is surely blasphemy to some, but to others it's a coming-of-age story of the highest order.

Joshua (a.k.a. Jesus) knows he is unique and quite alone in his calling, but what exactly does his Father want of him? Taking liberties with ancient history, Moore works up an adventure tale as Biff and Joshua seek out the three wise men so that Joshua can better understand what he is supposed to do as Messiah. Biff, a capable sinner, tags along and gives Joshua ample opportunities to know the failings and weaknesses of being truly human. With a wit similar to Douglas Adams, Moore pulls no punches: a young Biff has the hots for Joshua's mom, Mary, which doesn't amuse Josh much: "Don't let anyone ever tell you that the Prince of Peace never struck anyone." And the origin of the Easter Bunny is explained as a drunken Jesus gushes his affection for bunnies, declaring, "Henceforth and from now on, I decree that whenever something bad happens to me, there shall be bunnies around."

One small problem with the narrative is that Biff and Joshua often do not have distinct voices. A larger difficulty is that as the tone becomes more somber with Joshua's life drawing to its inevitable close, the one-liners, though not as numerous, seem forced. True to form, Lamb keeps the story of Joshua light, even after its darkest moments. --Michael Ferch

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:05:29 -0400)

The birth of Jesus has been well chronicled, as have his glorious teachings, acts, and divine sacrifice after his thirtieth birthday. But no one knows about the early life of the Son of God, the missing years-except Biff, the Messiah's best bud, who has been resurrected to tell the story in the divinely hilarious yet heartfelt work "reminiscent of Vonnegut and Douglas Adams" (Philadelphia Inquirer). Verily, the story Biff has to tell is a miraculous one, filled with remarkable journeys, magic, healings, kung fu, corpse reanimations, demons, and hot babes. Even the considerable wiles and devotion of the Savior's pal may not be enough to divert Joshua from his tragic destiny. But there's no one who loves Josh more-except maybe "Maggie," Mary of Magdala-and Biff isn't about to let his extraordinary pal suffer and ascend without a fight.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,760,361 books! | Top bar: Always visible