Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's…

Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal (2002)

by Christopher Moore, Christopher Moore, Christopher Moore

Other authors: Fisher Stevens (Narrator)

A Dirty Job by Christopher Moore (Ti99er)
    Good Omens by Terry Pratchett (yokai)
    The Lust Lizard of Melancholy Cove / Fluke: Or, I Know Why the Winged Whale Sings by Christopher Moore (Ti99er)
    The Preservationist by David Maine (PhilipFOBrienJr)
    PhilipFOBrienJr: An amusing take on the Noah/Flood story
    American Gods by Neil Gaiman (andomck)
    andomck: Religion, realism, fantasy, humor, low brow, etc. Makes sense to me.
    The Stupidest Angel: A Heartwarming Tale of Christmas Terror (Version 2.0) by Christopher Moore (sturlington)
    sturlington: Character cross-overs.
    Bloodsucking Fiends: A Love Story by Christopher Moore (Ti99er)
    Unholy Night by Seth Grahame-Smith (MyriadBooks)
    You Don't Have to Be Evil to Work Here, But it Helps by Tom Holt (Ti99er)
    Practical Demonkeeping: A Comedy of Horrors by Christopher Moore (sturlington)
    sturlington: Character cross-overs.
    Death: A Life by George Pendle (meggyweg, meggyweg)
    Ladies and Gentlemen, The Bible! by Jonathan Goldstein (meggyweg)
    Fated by S. G. Browne (Phantasma)
    Fluke: Or, I Know Why the Winged Whale Sings by Christopher Moore (Ti99er)
    Nothing But Blue Skies by Tom Holt (Ti99er)
    Coyote Blue by Christopher Moore (sturlington)
    sturlington: My two favorite Moore novels.
    The Master and Margarita by Mikhail Bulgakov (sturlington)
    sturlington: The biblical scenes inspired Moore.
    Who's Afraid of Beowulf? by Tom Holt (Dr.Science)
    Dr.Science: The English author Tom Holt is relatively unknown in America, but very popular in England. If you enjoy Jasper Fforde or Christopher Moore you will most certainly enjoy Tom Holt's wry sense of English humor and the absurd. He has written a number of excellent books including Expecting Someone Taller, and Flying Dutch, but they may be difficult to find at your library or bookstore.… (more)
    The Road Trip Dialogues by Jass Richards (ptittle)
    ptittle: same weird off-beat funny with underlying serious
    The Pericles Commission by Gary Corby (meggyweg)

English (292)  French (3)  German (2)  Italian (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (299)
Happily, this novel lived up to all the rave reviews and Moore-hype I've seen everywhere over the past few years. The basic premise is that Christ's oldest friend Biff has been resurrected by an angel and locked in a hotel room to write his own gospel - the real story of Joshua's life, filling in the massive gap between 'born in stable' and 'thirty and preaching the Word'. Christopher Moore being a clever and hilarious dude, this manages to incorporate everything from Buddhist philosophy and the wisdom of the Kings of Orient to kung-fu and a Yeti, as Joshua sets about learning how to be the Messiah. It's such an absorbing read, very intelligent, very funny, yet surprisingly wise and poignant sometimes too. Definitely a keeper, and I see many more Christopher Moore novels in my future! ( )
  elliepotten | Oct 24, 2014 |
Mixed feelings about this one. It's not so funny as his usual fare, but then again how can you make the life of Christ be really funny? There were moments, though. The scene where Joshua discovers the glories of coffee and goes on a healing frenzy was priceless. And Biff was infectiously funny and a little nuts. Maggie was wonderfully depicted and really was the smart one in the group. Just a little disturbing as a subject for a comic novel. You have to give Moore credit for basically pulling it off. ( )
  AliceAnna | Oct 22, 2014 |
Die Bewertung hier ist mir wirklich nicht leicht gefallen. Wenn ich mir vorzustellen versuche, wie mir das Buch gefallen hätte, wenn ich es gelesen hätte, kommen Zweifel auf. Möglicherweise hätte es mir dann nicht so gut oder vielleicht gar nicht gefallen, allein schon, weil die Sprache teilweise extrem derb und für meinen Geschmack abstoßend ist. Aber dem Hörbuch - unglaublich genial, mitreißend, lustig gelesen von Simon Jäger - bin ich fast geneigt, die volle Punktzahl zu geben. Drei vergnügliche Hörtage liegen hinter mir, und die möchte ich mir ungern durch zu viel Nachdenken über Inhalt und Sprache des Buches kaputt machen. ( )
  Telaara_Dunwin | Aug 10, 2014 |
I really enjoyed this book. I am not a religious person, which may be why I could enjoy this so much, but this is the kind of Jesus I would have liked to think about. Doing the right thing, but accepting others (even his good friend and sinner, Biff) completely for who they are.

And, to be honest, there were parts that were so funny I laughed out loud (when done in public, that can be awkward, but it was still worth it). ( )
  csweder | Jul 8, 2014 |

csweder | Jul 8, 2014 |
"Lamb" is an incredibly compelling work even for readers who don't agree with Moore's conclusions. The book is also laugh out loud funny at times, which really helps during some of more irreverent parts of the story.

Interesting, original, not for every taste.
added by mysterymax | editKirkus Review (May 20, 2010)

Christopher Mooreprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Moore, Christophermain authorall editionsconfirmed
Moore, Christophermain authorall editionsconfirmed
Stevens, FisherNarratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
God is a comedian playing to an audience that is afraid to laugh. - Voltaire
Author's blessing

If you have come to these pages for laughter, may you find it.
If you are here to be offended, may your ire rise and your blood boil.
If you seek adventure, may this story sing you away to blissful escape.
If you need to test or confirm your beliefs, may you reach comfortable conclusions.
All books revel perfection, by what they are or what they are not.
May you find that which you seek, in these pages or outside them.
May you find perfection, and know it by name.
The angel was cleaning out his closets when the call came.
You think you know how this story is going to end, but you don't.
I learned how to boil down goat urine to make explosives today.
Hi, I'm the Messiah, God wanted you to have this bacon.
I know that even now, having watched enough television, you probably won't even refer to them as lepers so as to spare their feelings. You probably call them 'parts-dropping-off challenged' or something.
In this work the author seeks to fill in the "lost" years of Jesus through the point of view of Jesus' childhood pal, "Levi bar Alphaeus who is called Biff". Biff has been resurrected in the present day, to complete missing parts of the Bible. Supposedly under the watchful eye of the angel Raziel, who turns out to be more interested in the soap operas on the television in their hotel, Biff is made to write down his account of the decades missing from Jesus' life. During these years he and Joshua (which, as Biff points out, "Jesus" is the Greek version of, and thus in Galilee Jesus was called Joshua Bar Joseph) travel to the East to seek the Three Wise Men who attended Joshua's birth, so that he may learn how to become the Messiah.
Biff is quite a guy/His friend is the Messiah/Find out what that's like (jeshakespeare)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0380813815, Paperback)

While the Bible may be the word of God, transcribed by divinely inspired men, it does not provide a full (or even partial) account of the life of Jesus Christ. Lucky for us that Christopher Moore presents a funny, lighthearted satire of the life of Christ--from his childhood days up to his crucifixion--in Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal. This clever novel is surely blasphemy to some, but to others it's a coming-of-age story of the highest order.

Joshua (a.k.a. Jesus) knows he is unique and quite alone in his calling, but what exactly does his Father want of him? Taking liberties with ancient history, Moore works up an adventure tale as Biff and Joshua seek out the three wise men so that Joshua can better understand what he is supposed to do as Messiah. Biff, a capable sinner, tags along and gives Joshua ample opportunities to know the failings and weaknesses of being truly human. With a wit similar to Douglas Adams, Moore pulls no punches: a young Biff has the hots for Joshua's mom, Mary, which doesn't amuse Josh much: "Don't let anyone ever tell you that the Prince of Peace never struck anyone." And the origin of the Easter Bunny is explained as a drunken Jesus gushes his affection for bunnies, declaring, "Henceforth and from now on, I decree that whenever something bad happens to me, there shall be bunnies around."

One small problem with the narrative is that Biff and Joshua often do not have distinct voices. A larger difficulty is that as the tone becomes more somber with Joshua's life drawing to its inevitable close, the one-liners, though not as numerous, seem forced. True to form, Lamb keeps the story of Joshua light, even after its darkest moments. --Michael Ferch

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:23:43 -0400)

A humorous, speculative novel fills in the lost years of Jesus' life, told from the perspective of Biff, his childhood best friend.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,932,730 books! | Top bar: Always visible