Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's…

Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal (2002)

by Christopher Moore, Christopher Moore, Christopher Moore

Other authors: Fisher Stevens (Narrator)

Recently added byVladimir_Petrov, jagy66, lanewillson, LopiCake, sdmf4bls, Lokweesha, private library
    Good Omens by Terry Pratchett (yokai)
    A Dirty Job by Christopher Moore (Ti99er)
    The Lust Lizard of Melancholy Cove by Christopher Moore (Ti99er)
    Fluke: Or, I Know Why the Winged Whale Sings by Christopher Moore (Ti99er)
    The Stupidest Angel: A Heartwarming Tale of Christmas Terror (Version 2.0) by Christopher Moore (sturlington)
    sturlington: Character cross-overs.
    American Gods by Neil Gaiman (andomck)
    andomck: Religion, realism, fantasy, humor, low brow, etc. Makes sense to me.
    The Preservationist by David Maine (PhilipFOBrienJr)
    PhilipFOBrienJr: An amusing take on the Noah/Flood story
    Practical Demonkeeping: A Comedy of Horrors by Christopher Moore (sturlington)
    sturlington: Character cross-overs.
    You Don't Have to Be Evil to Work Here, But it Helps by Tom Holt (Ti99er)
    Unholy Night by Seth Grahame-Smith (MyriadBooks)
    Bloodsucking Fiends: A Love Story by Christopher Moore (Ti99er)
    The Master and Margarita by Mikhail Bulgakov (sturlington)
    sturlington: The biblical scenes inspired Moore.
    Nothing But Blue Skies by Tom Holt (Ti99er)
    The Pericles Commission by Gary Corby (meggyweg)
    The Road Trip Dialogues by Jass Richards (ptittle)
    ptittle: same weird off-beat funny with underlying serious
    Who's Afraid of Beowulf? by Tom Holt (Dr.Science)
    Dr.Science: The English author Tom Holt is relatively unknown in America, but very popular in England. If you enjoy Jasper Fforde or Christopher Moore you will most certainly enjoy Tom Holt's wry sense of English humor and the absurd. He has written a number of excellent books including Expecting Someone Taller, and Flying Dutch, but they may be difficult to find at your library or bookstore.… (more)
    Ladies and Gentlemen, The Bible! by Jonathan Goldstein (meggyweg)
    Fated by S. G. Browne (Phantasma)
    Death: A Life by George Pendle (meggyweg, meggyweg)
    Only Begotten Daughter by James Morrow (the_awesome_opossum)
    the_awesome_opossum: Only Begotten Daughter is darker and less whimsical than Lamb, but the protagonist - the daughter of God - also struggles with her divinity and purpose on Earth. It is funny in spots, but in a more wry and satirical way. So if you liked the more serious parts of Lamb, try this book… (more)

English (297)  French (3)  German (2)  Italian (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (304)
I fucking hate this book. It bored me to tears. It had an interesting premise, which is why I started reading it in the first place. But Christopher Moore just took that premise and skull-fucked it. He shit the bed with this fucking book, and I have no fucking clue why so many people love it so much.

It's the story of Biff, Jesus's childhood friend. But of course, Biff calls him 'Josh', as you do. The book details the years that were left out of the Bible, the actual childhood of 'Josh' and Biff. How they learned kung-fu together. Discovered coffee. Invented sarcasm.

Okay, see even my description makes it sound like an interesting book, but IT'S NOT, GODDAMNIT. It's boring as fuck. It's just page after page of them wandering around, doing mostly nothing. Very rarely did they do anything worth noting. It's just bullshit.

I was hoping that this book was going to poke fun at the Bible. That always amuses me. Tearing Christians to shreds is one of my favorite pastimes. But if anything, this book reinforced the ideas of the Bible. You know, helping people and all that shit. I hate it so much.

Fuck people. People are assholes. Most of them deserve to die a horrible death. Especially, back in those days. People were not nice. They were only out for themselves. You know, like most people are today. Fucking assholes.

I did not pick up this book to get preached at, which is what it ended up doing. Don't fucking preach to me, Moore. I know I'm an asshole. I'm fine with it. If there really is a hell, I would enjoy going there, because at least then, I wouldn't be stuck in bullshit heaven, having to deal with my fucked-up relatives. I'd rather burn in hell, thank you very much. ( )
  gecizzle | Mar 5, 2015 |
I started this book with trepidation because I was concerned that it might be disrespectful, if not downright blasphemous. I found it, instead, to be a well-researched, thoughtful, intelligent, and downright hilarious book that takes place during the "missing years" between the miraculous birth of the man we know as Jesus and when he took up his well-documented ministry at age 30. This is a story, not fact-based, but it is respectful of the source and clearly written by someone with a passing familiarity with both the history of the 1st century world and the tenets of several major religions. The parts of the story that blend with the pieces we are familiar with may not square with the traditional exegesis of the scriptures but are certainly not demonstrably wrong. But more to the point, it is an entertaining read from beginning to end, shedding a new light on some very familiar people-- one in particular. ( )
  sharoncville3579 | Jan 24, 2015 |
People have been telling me to read this for years and I've avoided it because I don't usually care for "funny" novels. Most of them reek of "trying too hard." This one doesn't. It is funny, just the right amount of funny, but it rarely feels forced. And I have to admit that it is entertaining to imagine what Jesus was doing between birth and age 30. ( )
  CherieDooryard | Jan 20, 2015 |
I tried a Moore book a while ago and didn't like it at all. I saw this one at the library and with the subtitle of "The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal" I felt I needed to give him another try. So now I'm torn because I really liked this one and really didn't like the other. What to do?

This book is such a great idea. It takes the time that Christ (or Joshua) was a child up until his crucifixion through the eyes of his snarky, sarcastic (Biff invented sarcasm) best friend, Biff. Naturally this is all fiction but it has the stories most people know and were taught as young kids and Moore just kinda filled in the blanks.

Biff sees Josh for the first time when they are 6 with a lizard hanging out of his mouth. He gives the lizard to his little brother who then smashes it with a rock. Josh takes the lizard, puts it back into his mouth and voila! the lizard is alive again. Obviously, Josh has powers but also obviously he's a 6 year old boy. Biff and Josh become instant best friends.

The Gospel according to Biff takes us through Josh's journeys to find out how to be the Messiah. He finds the 3 wise men and spends years learning from from, along with Biff, who really isn't as devout as Josh and keeps falling under the lure of prostitutes and martial arts. Seriously.

As Moore says, "This story is not and never was meant to challenge anyone's faith; however, if one's faith can be shaken by stories in a humorous novel, one may have a bit more praying to do." Go read it.
  manadabomb | Jan 15, 2015 |
Christopher Moore's book "Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal" is an entertaining, funny, intriguing romp through the missing years of Jesus' (in this case Josh's) life. Intriguing because when you think about it, what WAS Jesus doing from age 12 to 30?! Biff lets us in on what was going on. Josh knew whose son he was from very early on, but had no idea what he was supposed to do. The two friends go in search of the three wise men for answers and travel to what is now Afganistan/Iran, to India and to China. They encounter a demon, a yeti and other sundry eccentrics and learn much wisdom. Oh, and a lot of sex, at least for Biff. It is humorous and interesting as a lot of research went into the story making it seem almost plausible, without making it blasphemous (if you are worried about that sort of thing). I especially enjoyed it since I recently read Robert Graves' "King Jesus", another intriguing take on Jesus' biography that postulates that Jesus was indeed the 'last king of the Jews' by virtue of his mother's secret marriage to King Herod the Great's son Antipater and the political/cultural machinations surrounding his becoming the "lamb" of God. ( )
  Marse | Jan 4, 2015 |
"Lamb" is an incredibly compelling work even for readers who don't agree with Moore's conclusions. The book is also laugh out loud funny at times, which really helps during some of more irreverent parts of the story.

Interesting, original, not for every taste.
added by mysterymax | editKirkus Review (May 20, 2010)

Christopher Mooreprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Moore, Christophermain authorall editionsconfirmed
Moore, Christophermain authorall editionsconfirmed
Stevens, FisherNarratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
God is a comedian playing to an audience that is afraid to laugh. - Voltaire
Author's blessing

If you have come to these pages for laughter, may you find it.
If you are here to be offended, may your ire rise and your blood boil.
If you seek adventure, may this story sing you away to blissful escape.
If you need to test or confirm your beliefs, may you reach comfortable conclusions.
All books revel perfection, by what they are or what they are not.
May you find that which you seek, in these pages or outside them.
May you find perfection, and know it by name.
The angel was cleaning out his closets when the call came.
You think you know how this story is going to end, but you don't.
I learned how to boil down goat urine to make explosives today.
Hi, I'm the Messiah, God wanted you to have this bacon.
I know that even now, having watched enough television, you probably won't even refer to them as lepers so as to spare their feelings. You probably call them 'parts-dropping-off challenged' or something.
In this work the author seeks to fill in the "lost" years of Jesus through the point of view of Jesus' childhood pal, "Levi bar Alphaeus who is called Biff". Biff has been resurrected in the present day, to complete missing parts of the Bible. Supposedly under the watchful eye of the angel Raziel, who turns out to be more interested in the soap operas on the television in their hotel, Biff is made to write down his account of the decades missing from Jesus' life. During these years he and Joshua (which, as Biff points out, "Jesus" is the Greek version of, and thus in Galilee Jesus was called Joshua Bar Joseph) travel to the East to seek the Three Wise Men who attended Joshua's birth, so that he may learn how to become the Messiah.
Biff is quite a guy/His friend is the Messiah/Find out what that's like (jeshakespeare)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0380813815, Paperback)

While the Bible may be the word of God, transcribed by divinely inspired men, it does not provide a full (or even partial) account of the life of Jesus Christ. Lucky for us that Christopher Moore presents a funny, lighthearted satire of the life of Christ--from his childhood days up to his crucifixion--in Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal. This clever novel is surely blasphemy to some, but to others it's a coming-of-age story of the highest order.

Joshua (a.k.a. Jesus) knows he is unique and quite alone in his calling, but what exactly does his Father want of him? Taking liberties with ancient history, Moore works up an adventure tale as Biff and Joshua seek out the three wise men so that Joshua can better understand what he is supposed to do as Messiah. Biff, a capable sinner, tags along and gives Joshua ample opportunities to know the failings and weaknesses of being truly human. With a wit similar to Douglas Adams, Moore pulls no punches: a young Biff has the hots for Joshua's mom, Mary, which doesn't amuse Josh much: "Don't let anyone ever tell you that the Prince of Peace never struck anyone." And the origin of the Easter Bunny is explained as a drunken Jesus gushes his affection for bunnies, declaring, "Henceforth and from now on, I decree that whenever something bad happens to me, there shall be bunnies around."

One small problem with the narrative is that Biff and Joshua often do not have distinct voices. A larger difficulty is that as the tone becomes more somber with Joshua's life drawing to its inevitable close, the one-liners, though not as numerous, seem forced. True to form, Lamb keeps the story of Joshua light, even after its darkest moments. --Michael Ferch

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:23:43 -0400)

The birth of Jesus has been well chronicled, as have his glorious teachings, acts, and divine sacrifice after his thirtieth birthday. But no one knows about the early life of the Son of God, the missing years-except Biff, the Messiah's best bud, who has been resurrected to tell the story in the divinely hilarious yet heartfelt work "reminiscent of Vonnegut and Douglas Adams" (Philadelphia Inquirer). Verily, the story Biff has to tell is a miraculous one, filled with remarkable journeys, magic, healings, kung fu, corpse reanimations, demons, and hot babes. Even the considerable wiles and devotion of the Savior's pal may not be enough to divert Joshua from his tragic destiny. But there's no one who loves Josh more-except maybe "Maggie," Mary of Magdala-and Biff isn't about to let his extraordinary pal suffer and ascend without a fight.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,158,724 books! | Top bar: Always visible