Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's…

Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal (2002)

by Christopher Moore

Recently added byHarmonyC, duowolf, private library, HeathDAlberts, tripofmice, DianneDHarman, fatdulac, Kek55
    A Dirty Job by Christopher Moore (Ti99er)
    Good Omens by Terry Pratchett (yokai)
    The Lust Lizard of Melancholy Cove / Fluke: Or, I Know Why the Winged Whale Sings by Christopher Moore (Ti99er)
    The Preservationist by David Maine (PhilipFOBrienJr)
    PhilipFOBrienJr: An amusing take on the Noah/Flood story
    American Gods by Neil Gaiman (andomck)
    andomck: Religion, realism, fantasy, humor, low brow, etc. Makes sense to me.
    The Stupidest Angel: A Heartwarming Tale of Christmas Terror (Version 2.0) by Christopher Moore (sturlington)
    sturlington: Character cross-overs.
    Bloodsucking Fiends: A Love Story by Christopher Moore (Ti99er)
    Unholy Night by Seth Grahame-Smith (MyriadBooks)
    You Don't Have to Be Evil to Work Here, But it Helps by Tom Holt (Ti99er)
    Practical Demonkeeping: A Comedy of Horrors by Christopher Moore (sturlington)
    sturlington: Character cross-overs.
    Death: A Life by George Pendle (meggyweg, meggyweg)
    Ladies and Gentlemen, The Bible! by Jonathan Goldstein (meggyweg)
    Fated by S. G. Browne (Phantasma)
    Fluke: Or, I Know Why the Winged Whale Sings by Christopher Moore (Ti99er)
    Nothing But Blue Skies by Tom Holt (Ti99er)
    Coyote Blue by Christopher Moore (sturlington)
    sturlington: My two favorite Moore novels.
    The Master and Margarita by Mikhail Bulgakov (sturlington)
    sturlington: The biblical scenes inspired Moore.
    Who's Afraid of Beowulf? by Tom Holt (Dr.Science)
    Dr.Science: The English author Tom Holt is relatively unknown in America, but very popular in England. If you enjoy Jasper Fforde or Christopher Moore you will most certainly enjoy Tom Holt's wry sense of English humor and the absurd. He has written a number of excellent books including Expecting Someone Taller, and Flying Dutch, but they may be difficult to find at your library or bookstore.… (more)
    The Road Trip Dialogues by Jass Richards (ptittle)
    ptittle: same weird off-beat funny with underlying serious
    The Pericles Commission by Gary Corby (meggyweg)

English (290)  French (3)  German (2)  Italian (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (297)
Die Bewertung hier ist mir wirklich nicht leicht gefallen. Wenn ich mir vorzustellen versuche, wie mir das Buch gefallen hätte, wenn ich es gelesen hätte, kommen Zweifel auf. Möglicherweise hätte es mir dann nicht so gut oder vielleicht gar nicht gefallen, allein schon, weil die Sprache teilweise extrem derb und für meinen Geschmack abstoßend ist. Aber dem Hörbuch - unglaublich genial, mitreißend, lustig gelesen von Simon Jäger - bin ich fast geneigt, die volle Punktzahl zu geben. Drei vergnügliche Hörtage liegen hinter mir, und die möchte ich mir ungern durch zu viel Nachdenken über Inhalt und Sprache des Buches kaputt machen. ( )
  Telaara_Dunwin | Aug 10, 2014 |
I really enjoyed this book. I am not a religious person, which may be why I could enjoy this so much, but this is the kind of Jesus I would have liked to think about. Doing the right thing, but accepting others (even his good friend and sinner, Biff) completely for who they are.

And, to be honest, there were parts that were so funny I laughed out loud (when done in public, that can be awkward, but it was still worth it). ( )
  csweder | Jul 8, 2014 |

csweder | Jul 8, 2014 |
Perhaps only Christopher Moore could get away with writing a humorous novel about the life of Jesus, revealing a real person with flaws and all, and not only not get lambasted for it, but have his book embraced by both the devout and the non-devout alike.

Both the title and synopsis of the novel pretty much cover it. As told by his best friend Biff, Lamb covers those missing decades in Christ's life not discussed in the Bible. And though it's been a number of years since I read it, I'll never forget when we first encounter young Jesus, who is busy bashing in the head of a lizard with a rock, breathing life back into it, then bashing in its head and doing it again. I remember thinking, "Ya know, that's exactly what a young kid with such powers might do."

Of course, his later attempt at bringing back a dead Roman soldier is not quite as successful. I mean, yes, he does reanimate the corpse and all. However, the poor undead thing doesn't get much more alive than any of George Romero's zombies. But then, he's still learning.

Much of the rest of the book is spent traveling the Middle East, meeting with the three Kings who were there at his birth, learning about other world religions, and along the way (and quite by happenstance) inventing things like putting cream and sugar in coffee and the like.

Years after reading it, I was in the bookstore shopping for Christmas, and there saw a leatherbound, limited edition copy of the book that looked for all the world like a Bible. Again, I remember thinking, "only Christopher Moore."

Then again, even for the devout, there's no harm in imagining this as one of the "lost books" of the Bible, with so much care and affection does Moore paint his picture of young Jesus. I suspect that may even be something both believers and non-believers can agree upon. ( )
  BrendanPMyers | Jun 23, 2014 |
If your religious beliefs lean toward the very serious this would not be the novel for you. Christopher Moore creates a best friend for Jesus who definitely sees the drawbacks to the choices his friend makes. Hysterically funny and not at all reverent it's another example of his unusual view of life. ( )
  Jane1551 | May 15, 2014 |
"Lamb" is an incredibly compelling work even for readers who don't agree with Moore's conclusions. The book is also laugh out loud funny at times, which really helps during some of more irreverent parts of the story.

Interesting, original, not for every taste.
added by mysterymax | editKirkus Review (May 20, 2010)

Christopher Mooreprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Stevens, FisherNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
God is a comedian playing to an audience that is afraid to laugh. - Voltaire
Author's blessing

If you have come to these pages for laughter, may you find it.
If you are here to be offended, may your ire rise and your blood boil.
If you seek adventure, may this story sing you away to blissful escape.
If you need to test or confirm your beliefs, may you reach comfortable conclusions.
All books revel perfection, by what they are or what they are not.
May you find that which you seek, in these pages or outside them.
May you find perfection, and know it by name.
The angel was cleaning out his closets when the call came.
You think you know how this story is going to end, but you don't.
I learned how to boil down goat urine to make explosives today.
Hi, I'm the Messiah, God wanted you to have this bacon.
I know that even now, having watched enough television, you probably won't even refer to them as lepers so as to spare their feelings. You probably call them 'parts-dropping-off challenged' or something.
In this work the author seeks to fill in the "lost" years of Jesus through the point of view of Jesus' childhood pal, "Levi bar Alphaeus who is called Biff". Biff has been resurrected in the present day, to complete missing parts of the Bible. Supposedly under the watchful eye of the angel Raziel, who turns out to be more interested in the soap operas on the television in their hotel, Biff is made to write down his account of the decades missing from Jesus' life. During these years he and Joshua (which, as Biff points out, "Jesus" is the Greek version of, and thus in Galilee Jesus was called Joshua Bar Joseph) travel to the East to seek the Three Wise Men who attended Joshua's birth, so that he may learn how to become the Messiah.
Biff is quite a guy/His friend is the Messiah/Find out what that's like (jeshakespeare)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0380813815, Paperback)

While the Bible may be the word of God, transcribed by divinely inspired men, it does not provide a full (or even partial) account of the life of Jesus Christ. Lucky for us that Christopher Moore presents a funny, lighthearted satire of the life of Christ--from his childhood days up to his crucifixion--in Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal. This clever novel is surely blasphemy to some, but to others it's a coming-of-age story of the highest order.

Joshua (a.k.a. Jesus) knows he is unique and quite alone in his calling, but what exactly does his Father want of him? Taking liberties with ancient history, Moore works up an adventure tale as Biff and Joshua seek out the three wise men so that Joshua can better understand what he is supposed to do as Messiah. Biff, a capable sinner, tags along and gives Joshua ample opportunities to know the failings and weaknesses of being truly human. With a wit similar to Douglas Adams, Moore pulls no punches: a young Biff has the hots for Joshua's mom, Mary, which doesn't amuse Josh much: "Don't let anyone ever tell you that the Prince of Peace never struck anyone." And the origin of the Easter Bunny is explained as a drunken Jesus gushes his affection for bunnies, declaring, "Henceforth and from now on, I decree that whenever something bad happens to me, there shall be bunnies around."

One small problem with the narrative is that Biff and Joshua often do not have distinct voices. A larger difficulty is that as the tone becomes more somber with Joshua's life drawing to its inevitable close, the one-liners, though not as numerous, seem forced. True to form, Lamb keeps the story of Joshua light, even after its darkest moments. --Michael Ferch

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:23:43 -0400)

A humorous, speculative novel fills in the lost years of Jesus' life, told from the perspective of Biff, his childhood best friend.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,664,659 books! | Top bar: Always visible