Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff,…

Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal (original 2002; edition 2003)

by Christopher Moore

Member:andomck
Title:Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal
Authors:Christopher Moore
Info:William Morrow Paperbacks (2003), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 444 pages
Rating:***1/2

Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal by Christopher Moore (2002)

Good Omens by Terry Pratchett (yokai)
    A Dirty Job by Christopher Moore (Ti99er)
    The Lust Lizard of Melancholy Cove by Christopher Moore (Ti99er)
    Fluke, or, I Know Why the Winged Whale Sings by Christopher Moore (Ti99er)
    American Gods by Neil Gaiman (andomck)
    andomck: Religion, realism, fantasy, humor, low brow, etc. Makes sense to me.
    Practical Demonkeeping by Christopher Moore (sturlington)
    sturlington: Character cross-overs.
    The Preservationist by David Maine (PhilipFOBrienJr)
    PhilipFOBrienJr: An amusing take on the Noah/Flood story
    Bloodsucking Fiends: A Love Story by Christopher Moore (Ti99er)
    Unholy Night by Seth Grahame-Smith (MyriadBooks)
    You Don't Have to Be Evil to Work Here, But it Helps by Tom Holt (Ti99er)
    Beat the Reaper by Josh Bazell (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    The Pericles Commission by Gary Corby (meggyweg)
    Nothing But Blue Skies by Tom Holt (Ti99er)
    Death: A Life by George Pendle (meggyweg, meggyweg)
    Who's Afraid of Beowulf? by Tom Holt (Dr.Science)
    Dr.Science: The English author Tom Holt is relatively unknown in America, but very popular in England. If you enjoy Jasper Fforde or Christopher Moore you will most certainly enjoy Tom Holt's wry sense of English humor and the absurd. He has written a number of excellent books including Expecting Someone Taller, and Flying Dutch, but they may be difficult to find at your library or bookstore.… (more)
    Ladies and Gentlemen, The Bible! by Jonathan Goldstein (meggyweg)
    Fated by S. G. Browne (Phantasma)
    The Road Trip Dialogues by Jass Richards (ptittle)
    ptittle: same weird off-beat funny with underlying serious
    Only Begotten Daughter by James Morrow (the_awesome_opossum)
    the_awesome_opossum: Only Begotten Daughter is darker and less whimsical than Lamb, but the protagonist - the daughter of God - also struggles with her divinity and purpose on Earth. It is funny in spots, but in a more wry and satirical way. So if you liked the more serious parts of Lamb, try this book… (more)

English (329)  French (3)  German (2)  Italian (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (336)
I like the idea behind this book, and it had some amusing moments, but I wasn't rolling on the floor laughing. At most I would be quietly smirking. I liked the idea of Biff and Raziel hanging out in a seedy hotel while Biff told his story -- it felt a lot like Dogma, a movie I once watched twice in one day -- but as the book went on I found myself caring less and less about how the little boy Joshua became Jesus. Maybe it's because I received no formal religious education whatsoever; everything I know about the Bible and Christianity comes from cultural references and the occasional historical explanation provided in works on other subjects. So perhaps there are elements of Moore's retelling that are going completely over my head. I wouldn't discourage anyone from reading this who wanted to read it. It's probably just a book that is not suited for me personally. ( )
  rabbitprincess | Mar 25, 2016 |
Gerard Doyle
  jmail | Mar 21, 2016 |
From inventing sarcasm and the pencil to being the first person to put cream in their coffee, Christ's childhood best friend Biff has a story all his own.
I have never laughed out loud while reading a novel as much as I did with Lamb. It is riotous and irreverent and utterly perfect.
Near to nothing is known of Christ's life before the age of 30 when he showed up speaking about the Holy Ghost and claiming to be Gods son. Christopher Moore has beautifully and hilariously filled us in on that gap in time.
A story about self discovery, faith, and most of all friendship, Lamb does not disappoint.
It had the perfect amount of humanity, realness , humor and heart in it to make a lasting impression on me. Go out and read this book! ( )
  Kiddboyblue | Mar 8, 2016 |
LOVED IT! Having been raised Catholic and gone to Catholic high school, I remember very little of the Bible. However, this wonderfully crafty story brings to memory stories from the Bible - of course, they are twisted and perverted to some extent, but hilarious and memorable. Makes me want to read the Bible and see what was and wasn't taken from the scriptures.
  anglophile65 | Mar 8, 2016 |
Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal by Christopher Moore

★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ♥

If you've ever read Christopher Moore, you should know not to take this book seriously. And if you're going to take it seriously, maybe it's not the book for you.

This book is the journey of Biff (Levi) and his best friend, Jesus (Joshua). It tells the story of all those years mostly missing from the Bible – from about age 6 to 30. I found this book absolutely hilarious. To no surprise, I have another Christopher Moore book that has made it into my favorite lists. I love both Biff and Joshua throughout. Biff can definitely be raunchy at times but I think this makes the book all that much more...fun. He's such a contrast to his friend. Even though this book delves into religion, I don't think, as some may think, it bashes it at all. It is fun and many times I found it deep and inspirational. It's been a long time since I've found a book that make laugh so much and also think just as much. I couldn't help but love this story friendship.

As noted in the afterword of this book, a lot of research was done in the making of this book and many Bible references were used but it is nothing more than a made up story and should taken as such. ( )
  UberButter | Feb 9, 2016 |
"Lamb" is an incredibly compelling work even for readers who don't agree with Moore's conclusions. The book is also laugh out loud funny at times, which really helps during some of more irreverent parts of the story.

Interesting, original, not for every taste.
added by mysterymax | editKirkus Review (May 20, 2010)

Christopher Mooreprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Stevens, FisherNarratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Balder, Hugo E.Narratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Baranger, LucTraductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Estrella, JuanjoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
God is a comedian playing to an audience that is afraid to laugh. - Voltaire
Author's blessing

If you have come to these pages for laughter, may you find it.
If you are here to be offended, may your ire rise and your blood boil.
If you seek adventure, may this story sing you away to blissful escape.
If you need to test or confirm your beliefs, may you reach comfortable conclusions.
All books revel perfection, by what they are or what they are not.
May you find that which you seek, in these pages or outside them.
May you find perfection, and know it by name.
The angel was cleaning out his closets when the call came.
You think you know how this story is going to end, but you don't.
I learned how to boil down goat urine to make explosives today.
Hi, I'm the Messiah, God wanted you to have this bacon.
I know that even now, having watched enough television, you probably won't even refer to them as lepers so as to spare their feelings. You probably call them 'parts-dropping-off challenged' or something.
In this work the author seeks to fill in the "lost" years of Jesus through the point of view of Jesus' childhood pal, "Levi bar Alphaeus who is called Biff". Biff has been resurrected in the present day, to complete missing parts of the Bible. Supposedly under the watchful eye of the angel Raziel, who turns out to be more interested in the soap operas on the television in their hotel, Biff is made to write down his account of the decades missing from Jesus' life. During these years he and Joshua (which, as Biff points out, "Jesus" is the Greek version of, and thus in Galilee Jesus was called Joshua Bar Joseph) travel to the East to seek the Three Wise Men who attended Joshua's birth, so that he may learn how to become the Messiah.
Biff is quite a guy/His friend is the Messiah/Find out what that's like (jeshakespeare)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0380813815, Paperback)

While the Bible may be the word of God, transcribed by divinely inspired men, it does not provide a full (or even partial) account of the life of Jesus Christ. Lucky for us that Christopher Moore presents a funny, lighthearted satire of the life of Christ--from his childhood days up to his crucifixion--in Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal. This clever novel is surely blasphemy to some, but to others it's a coming-of-age story of the highest order.

Joshua (a.k.a. Jesus) knows he is unique and quite alone in his calling, but what exactly does his Father want of him? Taking liberties with ancient history, Moore works up an adventure tale as Biff and Joshua seek out the three wise men so that Joshua can better understand what he is supposed to do as Messiah. Biff, a capable sinner, tags along and gives Joshua ample opportunities to know the failings and weaknesses of being truly human. With a wit similar to Douglas Adams, Moore pulls no punches: a young Biff has the hots for Joshua's mom, Mary, which doesn't amuse Josh much: "Don't let anyone ever tell you that the Prince of Peace never struck anyone." And the origin of the Easter Bunny is explained as a drunken Jesus gushes his affection for bunnies, declaring, "Henceforth and from now on, I decree that whenever something bad happens to me, there shall be bunnies around."

One small problem with the narrative is that Biff and Joshua often do not have distinct voices. A larger difficulty is that as the tone becomes more somber with Joshua's life drawing to its inevitable close, the one-liners, though not as numerous, seem forced. True to form, Lamb keeps the story of Joshua light, even after its darkest moments. --Michael Ferch

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:05:29 -0400)

The birth of Jesus has been well chronicled, as have his glorious teachings, acts, and divine sacrifice after his thirtieth birthday. But no one knows about the early life of the Son of God, the missing years-except Biff, the Messiah's best bud, who has been resurrected to tell the story in the divinely hilarious yet heartfelt work "reminiscent of Vonnegut and Douglas Adams" (Philadelphia Inquirer). Verily, the story Biff has to tell is a miraculous one, filled with remarkable journeys, magic, healings, kung fu, corpse reanimations, demons, and hot babes. Even the considerable wiles and devotion of the Savior's pal may not be enough to divert Joshua from his tragic destiny. But there's no one who loves Josh more-except maybe "Maggie," Mary of Magdala-and Biff isn't about to let his extraordinary pal suffer and ascend without a fight.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,353,133 books! | Top bar: Always visible