Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff,…

Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal (original 2002; edition 2003)

by Christopher Moore

7,483None467 (4.24)214
Member:andomck
Title:Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal
Authors:Christopher Moore
Info:William Morrow Paperbacks (2003), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 444 pages
Rating:***1/2

Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal by Christopher Moore (2002)

2008 (22) Bible (59) Christ (38) Christianity (170) Christopher Moore (39) comedy (115) fantasy (118) favorite (26) favorites (29) fiction (930) friendship (29) funny (50) historical (37) historical fiction (105) humor (857) Humorous fiction (24) Jesus (187) Jesus Christ (38) Judaism (25) Moore (24) novel (82) own (34) paperback (21) read (122) religion (416) religious (26) satire (178) signed (32) to-read (113) unread (42)
    A Dirty Job by Christopher Moore (Ti99er)
    Good Omens by Terry Pratchett (yokai)
    The Lust Lizard of Melancholy Cove by Christopher Moore (Ti99er)
    The Stupidest Angel: A Heartwarming Tale of Christmas Terror (Version 2.0) by Christopher Moore (sturlington)
    sturlington: Character cross-overs.
    American Gods by Neil Gaiman (andomck)
    andomck: Religion, realism, fantasy, humor, low brow, etc. Makes sense to me.
    The Preservationist by David Maine (PhilipFOBrienJr)
    PhilipFOBrienJr: An amusing take on the Noah/Flood story
    Practical Demonkeeping: A Comedy of Horrors by Christopher Moore (sturlington)
    sturlington: Character cross-overs.
    Unholy Night by Seth Grahame-Smith (MyriadBooks)
    Fluke: Or, I Know Why the Winged Whale Sings by Christopher Moore (Ti99er)
    You Don't Have to Be Evil to Work Here, But it Helps by Tom Holt (Ti99er)
    Bloodsucking Fiends: A Love Story by Christopher Moore (Ti99er)
    The Master and Margarita by Mihail Bulgakov (sturlington)
    sturlington: The biblical scenes inspired Moore.
    Coyote Blue by Christopher Moore (sturlington)
    sturlington: My two favorite Moore novels.
    The Pericles Commission by Gary Corby (meggyweg)
    Ladies and Gentlemen, The Bible! by Jonathan Goldstein (meggyweg)
    Nothing But Blue Skies by Tom Holt (Ti99er)
    Who's Afraid of Beowulf? by Tom Holt (Dr.Science)
    Dr.Science: The English author Tom Holt is relatively unknown in America, but very popular in England. If you enjoy Jasper Fforde or Christopher Moore you will most certainly enjoy Tom Holt's wry sense of English humor and the absurd. He has written a number of excellent books including Expecting Someone Taller, and Flying Dutch, but they may be difficult to find at your library or bookstore.… (more)
    Fated by S. G. Browne (Phantasma)
    The Road Trip Dialogues by Jass Richards (ptittle)
    ptittle: same weird off-beat funny with underlying serious
    Death: A Life by George Pendle (meggyweg, meggyweg)

English (286)  French (3)  German (2)  Italian (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (293)
Lamb tells the story of Jesus Christ from his childhood up to his crucifixion, all from the point of view of his best friend, Levi who is called Biff. In his afterward, Moore mentions that there's very little mention of Joshua's childhood and he has attempted to fill in the gaps in history. He says himself "I am not trying to present history as it might really have been, I'm simply telling stories." I feel this is a key element people need to keep in mind while reading this - this is a humorous and endearing look at Joshua's life and the events that might have made him into the man he was - it's not satire and it's not intended to offend. It's fiction!

I'm a little biased, I'll admit, because I love everything Moore writes, wholeheartedly. There's no middle ground for me. I read this book in high school, and it was actually the first of Moore's work that I ever read - I fell in love from page one:
"The angel was cleaning out his closets when the call came. Halos and moonbeams were sorted into piles according to brightness and satchels of wrath and scabbards of lightning hung on hooks waiting to be dusted. A wineskin of glory had leaked in the corned and the angel blotted it with a wad of fabric. Each time he turned the cloth a muted chorus rang from the closet, as if he'd clamped the lid down on a pickle jar full of Hallelujah Chorus."

I never thought about what an angel's closet might look like - but what an image Moore created. Personally, I think he's very clever with his descriptions and his humor suits me perfectly. Moore portrays Joshua as earnest, honest and stubborn. Biff is his wild and crazy buddy who is constantly scheming, swearing and putting moves on the local ladies. They meet a very colorful cast as they seek the three wise men who attended Joshua's birth so that he can figure out how to become the Messiah. There are wizards and demons and Buddhists and prostitutes. There are sacrifices, yeti's, lepers. This book made me laugh out loud several times, but it also had some pretty emotional parts.

Again, this book isn't for everyone - Moore doesn't intend to offend anyone's religious beliefs, but I'm sure it's probably happened now and again. Personally, I know very little about what the Bible contains, so this was just a story for me - I wasn't worried about accuracy or anything like that.

A quick note on the special edition - if you're a fan of Moore's work, or at least this book, it's definitely worth picking up. It's a beautiful book - the pages are gilded on the edges, the cover is black and textured (much like a Bible) with gold embossed lettering. It comes with a ribbon bookmark and and afterward by Moore talking about his reason behind writing this book and the research he did to make this happen. My only issue is that the sticker they put on the back to describe the book, etc, won't come off without leaving some residue behind and I'm afraid to use goo-gone or anything because I don't want to ruin the book. ( )
  MillieHennessy | Apr 6, 2014 |
There have been many books about the life of Jesus Christ, but few of them fill in the years between his birth and when he was an adult. To give the world the story of what happened as Christ grew up, the angel Gabriel resurrects Levi (but known as Biff), Jesus' boyhood friend to fill in the gaps. This uproarious story follows Biff and Joshua (not sure if Jesus is called Joshua to avoid any possible blasphemy charges) from their boyhood years all the way to the crucifixion. He provides explanations for some pretty important points to the trivial. For example Jesus departed from the traditional Jewish policy of only allowing Jews into the Kingdom of Heaven after spending time in India and witnessing the unfairness of the caste system, equating Heaven for Jews only to freedom for Brahmins only. Or why there are bunny rabbits during Easter - and it has nothing to do with chocolate Easter rabbits. Christopher Moore is careful to not take a stance on whether or not Jesus is the son of God, or if god even exists. Great entertainment for believers and non-believers. ( )
  jmoncton | Mar 25, 2014 |
I couldn't get through it. I really wanted it to be hysterical, but it just wasn't. The style of writing also left much to be desired, I was pretty disappointed. ( )
  steadfastreader | Mar 18, 2014 |
Excellent. Poignant and respectful and funny at the same time. ( )
  noelhx | Mar 15, 2014 |
This is a satirical story of Jesus' life from a child of 6 resurrecting lizards and throughout his lifetime told by his goofy and sarcastic sidekick Levi known as Biff. Some of the highlights for me was the resurrected Biff's reactions to todays world, for example, trying to decipher rap lyrics as he sat in a hotel room in St. Louis writing this "gospel" Some die-hard Christians with no sense of humor may find some things offensive, but personally I laughed out loud (literally, not just the lol kind) many many times.

I didn't finish the entire book. The humor, to me, was 5 star. The problem was that I tired of it fairly quickly. I may go back and read a few more chapters in between books or long series, but there's no way I can sit and read this in its entirety in one sitting. It was like a hilarious stand-up routine that went on for 10 hours, eventually, it just all sounds the same.
  a.happy.booker | Mar 14, 2014 |

Christopher Mooreprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Stevens, FisherNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
God is a comedian playing to an audience that is afraid to laugh. - Voltaire
Author's blessing

If you have come to these pages for laughter, may you find it.
If you are here to be offended, may your ire rise and your blood boil.
If you seek adventure, may this story sing you away to blissful escape.
If you need to test or confirm your beliefs, may you reach comfortable conclusions.
All books revel perfection, by what they are or what they are not.
May you find that which you seek, in these pages or outside them.
May you find perfection, and know it by name.
The angel was cleaning out his closets when the call came.
You think you know how this story is going to end, but you don't.
I learned how to boil down goat urine to make explosives today.
Hi, I'm the Messiah, God wanted you to have this bacon.
I know that even now, having watched enough television, you probably won't even refer to them as lepers so as to spare their feelings. You probably call them 'parts-dropping-off challenged' or something.
In this work the author seeks to fill in the "lost" years of Jesus through the point of view of Jesus' childhood pal, "Levi bar Alphaeus who is called Biff". Biff has been resurrected in the present day, to complete missing parts of the Bible. Supposedly under the watchful eye of the angel Raziel, who turns out to be more interested in the soap operas on the television in their hotel, Biff is made to write down his account of the decades missing from Jesus' life. During these years he and Joshua (which, as Biff points out, "Jesus" is the Greek version of, and thus in Galilee Jesus was called Joshua Bar Joseph) travel to the East to seek the Three Wise Men who attended Joshua's birth, so that he may learn how to become the Messiah.
Biff is quite a guy/His friend is the Messiah/Find out what that's like (jeshakespeare)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0380813815, Paperback)

While the Bible may be the word of God, transcribed by divinely inspired men, it does not provide a full (or even partial) account of the life of Jesus Christ. Lucky for us that Christopher Moore presents a funny, lighthearted satire of the life of Christ--from his childhood days up to his crucifixion--in Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal. This clever novel is surely blasphemy to some, but to others it's a coming-of-age story of the highest order.

Joshua (a.k.a. Jesus) knows he is unique and quite alone in his calling, but what exactly does his Father want of him? Taking liberties with ancient history, Moore works up an adventure tale as Biff and Joshua seek out the three wise men so that Joshua can better understand what he is supposed to do as Messiah. Biff, a capable sinner, tags along and gives Joshua ample opportunities to know the failings and weaknesses of being truly human. With a wit similar to Douglas Adams, Moore pulls no punches: a young Biff has the hots for Joshua's mom, Mary, which doesn't amuse Josh much: "Don't let anyone ever tell you that the Prince of Peace never struck anyone." And the origin of the Easter Bunny is explained as a drunken Jesus gushes his affection for bunnies, declaring, "Henceforth and from now on, I decree that whenever something bad happens to me, there shall be bunnies around."

One small problem with the narrative is that Biff and Joshua often do not have distinct voices. A larger difficulty is that as the tone becomes more somber with Joshua's life drawing to its inevitable close, the one-liners, though not as numerous, seem forced. True to form, Lamb keeps the story of Joshua light, even after its darkest moments. --Michael Ferch

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:23:43 -0400)

A humorous, speculative novel fills in the lost years of Jesus' life, told from the perspective of Biff, his childhood best friend.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,462,057 books! | Top bar: Always visible