A Dirty Job by Christopher Moore

A Dirty Job (2006)

by Christopher Moore

Series: Death Merchants (1)

English (213)  German (4)  Italian (3)  Spanish (2)  All (222)
I'm not sure exactly what to think of this book. At first, I couldn't get that into it. It took me three times to get past Charlie Asher's initial annoying character in the first chapter, but he became more respectable as the book went on. Charlie's daughter, Sophie, is absolutely wonderful. The two hell hounds sent to protect Sopie are hilarious, and I want a dog like that! I'm still not sure how I think about Audrey, the crazy Buddhist monk that was kicked out of service. She is crazy disturbed... and what she does with souls, well, I find it creepy.

Its a Christopher Moore book, so expect tight dialogue, snappy responses, outrageous characters that are very human, and a plot that really shouldn't make any sense, but it does, and makes so much sense, you wonder why the world doesn't work like this. ( )
  TheDivineOomba | Apr 13, 2017 |
Charlie Asher’s wife, Rachel, dies shortly after giving birth to their daughter, Sophie. At this time in the hospital, Charlie sees a very large black man wearing a mint green suit; the black man is astonished that Charlie can see him! After this, weird things start happening to Charlie: random objects are glowing red, people are dropping dead around him! What is going on?

It took a little bit for the book to get going, I thought, but not too far into it, when we find out what is going on, I thought it really picked up, and I really liked it. There were some great supporting characters in the book: Ray and Lily, who work at Charlie’s second-hand store; Sophie, Charlie’s little girl; Mrs. Ling and Mrs. Korjev, Charlie’s neighbours and frequent babysitters of Sophie… I listened to the audio, and I’m sure people thought I was a little odd, laughing to myself as I listened. I would give the story itself 3.75 stars, but I’m adding an extra quarter star for the really good narrator of the audio. ( )
  LibraryCin | Mar 31, 2017 |
Intense, dark, twisted, and very ,very finny. ( )
  maryhollis | Feb 20, 2017 |
with the sequel coming out in a few days I reread Dirty Job this weekend and think I laughed as much the 2nd time as the first. Moore has an original, unique, and surprising sense of humor. the combination of take-no-prisoners language and wild imagination leads to incredible laughs. ( )
  jimbomin | Jan 23, 2017 |
Christopher Moore's style and subject matter is indescribable, as usual. In this novel, Charlie Asher, thrift store owner, loses his beloved wife Rachel when she dies shortly after giving birth to their daughter Sophie. But, in the throes of grief and the chaos of new parenthood, Charlie has to deal with another issue. Apparently, without any warning or particular desire on his part, Charlie has become an assistant of death, responsible for the collection and keeping of human souls while they await re-embodiment. The job seems to be lucrative, but, when the Dark Forces begin to become restless, Charlie finds his natural timidity and desire to avoid conflict are not exactly the resources required to deal with harpies, hell hounds and other miscellaneous creatures he encounters. Laugh out loud funny as Moore generally is. ( )
  kaitanya64 | Jan 3, 2017 |

Christopher Mooreprimary authorall editionscalculated
Stevens, FisherNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
What you seek, you shall never find.
For when the Gods made man,
They kept immortality for themselves.
Fill your belly.
Day and night make merry,
Let Days be full of joy,
Love the child that holds your hand.
Let your wife delight in your embrace,
For these alone are the concerns of man.
—The Epic of Gilgamesh
This book is dedicated to Patricia Moss, who was as generous in sharing her death as she was in sharing her life.

and

To hospice workers and volunteers all over the world.
Charlie Asher walked the earth like an ant walks on the surface of water, as if the slightest misstep might send him plummeting through the surface to be sucked to the depths below.
Thing settled in the City of Two Bridges, and all the dark gods that had been rising to erupt out over the world remembered their place and returned to their domains deep in the Underworld. (Epilogue)
'I don't even want to make her eat her green beans for fear she'll KITTY me.'
'I'm sure you have some kind of immunity.'
'The Great Big Book says that we're not immune to death ourselves. I'd say the next time a kitten comes on the Discovery Channel my sister could be picking out caskets.'

The story centers on Charlie Asher, a "beta-male" (as opposed to "alpha-male") who leads a satisfying life as the owner and proprietor of a second-hand store in San Francisco. At the moment when his wife Rachel unexpectedly dies in the hospital shortly after the birth of their first child (Sophie), Charlie becomes involved in a new sideline of retrieving the souls of the dying, so as to protect them from the forces of the underworld. He only gradually realizes the ramifications of this business as various clues and complications unfold. Ultimately Charlie resolves to confront directly the forces of darkness.

Charlie Asher is a pretty normal guy with a normal life, married to a bright and pretty woman who actually loves him for his normalcy. They're even about to have their first child. Yes, Charlie's doing okay—until people start dropping dead around him, and everywhere he goes a dark presence whispers to him from under the streets. Charlie Asher, it seems, has been recruited for a new position: as Death.

It's a dirty job. But, hey! Somebody's gotta do it.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:11 -0400)

Charlie Asher, a neurotic and anxious hypochondriac who hates change, confronts the challenges of being a widower and a single parent when his wife dies of a freak medical condition on the day his new daughter, Sophie, is born.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,411,018 books! | Top bar: Always visible