A Dirty Job by Christopher Moore

A Dirty Job (2006)

by Christopher Moore

4,859204952 (4.04)38
Recently added bygabsy4127, kpevjen, HeathDAlberts, ColinSlon, Travis_Luedke, private library, ThePortPorts

English (194)  German (4)  Italian (3)  Spanish (2)  All languages (203)
Overall..Good. Moore is a hilarious author. The concept of this book was great. The ending no matter how sad was still really funny and heart warming, even if you saw it coming a mile away! I enjoyed this one! Make this one a must read! ( )
  Samantha.Ann | Aug 20, 2014 |
After the birth of his daughter, Charlie Asher, mild-mannered Beta Male, finds his life upended--and not just because he's become a new father. Through a strange course of events, he finds that he has been selected to be a Death Merchant, harvesting the souls of the dead and helping them on their journey to transcendence. The job, unfortunately, comes with a shit-ton of problems, such as being suspected of murder; hellhounds unexpectedly manifesting in his home; sewer harpies taunting him at every turn, encounters with an army of small, nattily dressed chimera; the perpetual threat of the Forces of Darkness rising if he fails; and the disconcerting knowledge that his daughter can kill by simply pointing and uttering that most powerful and fear inducing of words: "kitty." Plus, "Hi, I'm Death. With the big 'D'" doesn't really work as a pick-up line with the ladies. He's got ninety-nine problems, but a bitch ain't one.

His guide to his new lifestyle is The Great Big Book of Death, which really isn't that big. Or informative. Really it's just a lot of cartoonish pictures with such helpful tips as "In order to hold off the Forces of Darkness, you will need a number two pencil and a calendar." Death shops at Staples. Sucks to be Charlie.

There are a lot of words that I could throw around about Moore's writing: zany, wacky, demented, hilarious. But let's go ahead and toss "poignant" on the list. Trust me, everything you expect from a Moore novel is here, but one of the things I admire about his stories is that, for all the strangeness getting stranger, there's a well-spring of compassion and respect for humanity in his work that can surface when you least expect it. It should be no surprise that people die in a book about death, but what may catch many off guard is the genuine respect Moore demonstrates for the passing of a human life and a keen understanding that "Most of us don't live our lives with one, integrated self that meets the world, we're a whole bunch of selves. When someone dies, they all integrate into the soul--the essence of who we are, beyond the different faces we wear throughout our lives." Moments like this are what elevate Moore's work above pure screwball comedic writing. He has a keen understanding that life is absurdity and that humor is the best coping mechanism we have. ( )
1 vote snat | May 28, 2014 |
After reading LAMB, I wanted more or Moore. I got it in A DIRTY JOB. I LOVED this book. I laughed out loud while riding the train to work and YES, that was while I lived in San Francisco.

If you love quick whit and dark comedy, you have to read this book. Mr. Moore takes you all over San Francisco with excitement and laughter. ( )
  BubbaPat | May 11, 2014 |
I thought this book was interesting. It had an interesting premise and did a decent job of building up the mythology and background. However it seemed as if the author got half way through writing the book and realized that he had a page limit. The book went from a slow build up of characters and suspense to throwing in new characters that are some how very important with no real explanation and the final battle was a bit of a let down. I was disappointed with the book. ( )
  SparklePonies | Apr 12, 2014 |
Pretty good read. Are we finally getting some good American humor authors, stepping up to the plate established by Pratchett, Rankin, et. al. ? ( )
  noelhx | Mar 15, 2014 |
What you seek, you shall never find. / For when the Gods made man, / They kept immortality for themselves. / Fill your belly. / Day and night make merry, / Let Days be full of joy, / Love the child that holds your hand. / Let your wife delight in your embrace, / For these alone are the concerns of man. -- The Epic of Gilgamesh
This book is dedicated to Patricia Moss, who was as generous in sharing her death as she was in sharing her life.

and

To hospice workers and volunteers all over the world.
Charlie Asher walked the earth like an ant walks on the surface of water, as if the slightest misstep might send him plummeting through the surface to be sucked to the depths below.
"I don't even want to make her eat her green beans for fear she'll KITTY me."
"I'm sure you have some kind of immunity."
"The Great Big Book says that we're not immune to death ourselves. I'd say the next time a kitten comes on the Discovery Channel my sister could be picking out caskets."

The story centers on Charlie Asher, a "beta-male" (as opposed to "alpha-male") who leads a satisfying life as the owner and proprietor of a second-hand store in San Francisco. At the moment when his wife Rachel unexpectedly dies in the hospital shortly after the birth of their first child (Sophie), Charlie becomes involved in a new sideline of retrieving the souls of the dying, so as to protect them from the forces of the underworld. He only gradually realizes the ramifications of this business as various clues and complications unfold. Ultimately Charlie resolves to confront directly the forces of darkness.

Charlie Asher is a pretty normal guy with a normal life, married to a bright and pretty woman who actually loves him for his normalcy. They're even about to have their first child. Yes, Charlie's doing okay—until people start dropping dead around him, and everywhere he goes a dark presence whispers to him from under the streets. Charlie Asher, it seems, has been recruited for a new position: as Death.

It's a dirty job. But, hey! Somebody's gotta do it.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:40:20 -0400)

Charlie Asher, a neurotic and anxious hypochondriac who hates change, confronts the challenges of being a widower and a single parent when his wife dies of a freak medical condition on the day his new daughter, Sophie, is born.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,727,192 books! | Top bar: Always visible