Bloodsucking Fiends: A Love Story by…

Bloodsucking Fiends: A Love Story (1995)

by Christopher Moore

3,633None1,446 (3.81)73
(12) California (14) Christopher Moore (34) comedy (76) ebook (15) fantasy (155) fiction (405) funny (33) horror (52) humor (402) humorous (12) love (22) love story (18) Moore (16) novel (37) own (19) paperback (12) paranormal (21) read (72) romance (58) San Francisco (84) satire (26) series (19) sff (15) signed (15) supernatural (32) to-read (55) unread (20) urban fantasy (43) vampires (473)
    Who's Afraid of Beowulf? by Tom Holt (Dr.Science)
    Dr.Science: The English author Tom Holt is relatively unknown in America, but very popular in England. If you enjoy Jasper Fforde or Christopher Moore you will most certainly enjoy Tom Holt's wry sense of English humor and the absurd. He has written a number of excellent books including Expecting Someone Taller, and Flying Dutch, but they may be difficult to find at your library or bookstore.… (more)
    Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal by Christopher Moore (Ti99er)

Absolutely hilarious. I gave this to my boyfriend who loathes reading and he's loving it. ( )
  sweetzombieducky | Feb 14, 2014 |
Having read and enjoyed Lamb and A Dirty Job, I was disappointed by this one. The humor was at times too obvious -- I was occasionally pulled out of the narrative with the feeling that the author was winking at his readers instead of telling a story. The plot moved along at a good clip but came to an unsatisfying, too-easy resolution. The "bad guy" was an incomplete picture, someone whose motives and goals were never clear to me. And yet, despite these complaints, it was a fun read and easy to breeze through in a short time. I laughed out loud once or twice. I'm glad I read Bloodsucking Fiends, but I hope that the next Christopher Moore book I read is a better example of his work! ( )
  ksimon | Feb 6, 2014 |
I've got to say that I've read other Christopher Moore books and enjoyed them. But it's been a while since I've read one so either my tastes have changed, this one was just a misstep or things that didn't bother me when reading were tougher to overlook in an audiobook. I found both Jody and Tommy to be fairly unlikable protagonists. Actually the Emperor of San Francisco was the only redeeming character as far as I was concerned. I remember Moore's books being funny but this one kept reminding me of the line from (I think) Spinal Tap that it's a fine line between clever and stupid. For me, most of this book fell onto the stupid side of that line and what was clever was nowhere near enough to make up for it. ( )
  CCleveland | Nov 27, 2013 |
For Halloween this year, I went as a bad standup-comedian vampire. I wrote some jokes that followed typical standup subject matter but entirely without punch lines. My style was Steven Wright minus the payoff. I dressed as a vampire, wore realistic fangs, too, and performed the routine at two parties with a plant in the audience each time directed to shout, after four jokes, “You suck!!!”

I killed.

Hahahah. Well, I kill me, anyway.

So a while back a friend loaned me the novel, You Suck because he said it was hilarious. When I realized it was part two of a trilogy, the OCD completist in me couldn’t read it without buying part one Bloodsucking Fiends and part three Bite Me. This review will cover all three installments.

All three books have a delightfully whimsical, campy quality. Occasionally, there are moments of pseudo-profound introspection, but these are some of the least satisfying elements in the books. The Vampire Trilogy, as Moore calls it, at its finest puts a few hilarious characters in embarrassing situations. And he’s got some brilliant lines sprinkled throughout to season the meal.

Bloodsucking Fiends is by far the least funny and least satisfying of the three. I would describe it as fun without being all that funny. There were several plot twists, especially toward the end, that were quite unconvincing. I also found one of the two main characters, the 19-year old writer wannabe, to be rather annoying and far too naïve-country-boy-comes-to-big-city while the other main character was a bit too bland. Nonetheless, Moore sustained my interest through a barreling plot and amusing characters. I was definitely a bit disappointed and almost didn’t continue, but the OCD side took control, and I’m glad it did.

You Suck upped the hilarity quotient exceedingly through the introduction of two characters of comedic brilliance, the sick-and-twisted, uber-snarky goth girl Abby Normal (I wonder if Moore stole that name from Young Frankenstein. Or more accurately, did the character steal it because her “real” name is Allison Green while Abigail von Normal is her goth name) and her gay goth bff Jared. Apparently, Abby has a small role in one of Moore’s other novels, but she becomes much more significant in You Suck, and Bite Me is really more of her novel than the two hero vampires, Tommy and Jody. Good call, I say. because she is way damn funnier and smarter than either of them. She really steals the show with her wit and attitude. I could read Abby Normal all day.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see these novels as movies some day. The late-shift supermarket stockers/vampire-hunting stoners featured practically beg for a screenplay to be written for them. And surely some starlet needs to be Abby Normal in order to break from her goody-two-shoes casting. And plus … vampires. Nobody’s done a good vampire comedy since Love at First … okay, since ever. This could work.

Occasionally, the plot seems to get away from Moore and it requires more exposition than it should, but when he focuses on character, the story kills. Overall, worth reading … good comedy is bloody hard to do.
  David_David_Katzman | Nov 26, 2013 |
- Another reluctant vampire, Jody decides that in order to survive, she needs a man (she hates living alone) to live with her and take care of ‘day’ business. Tommy, a young, naive writer from Indiana is excited to live with a sexy vampire at first, but when another vampire starts leaving dead bodies around, Tommy wonders if his love (and lust) for Jody is worth it… Fun, silly, and irreverent – just the way I like my vampire stories! ( )
  kayceel | Aug 15, 2013 |
In memory of my father: Jack Davis Moore
Sundown painted purple across the great Pyramid while the Emperor enjoyed a steaming whiz against a dumpster in the alley below.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0060735414, Paperback)

Here's something different: a vampire novel that's light, funny, and not at all hackneyed. Between scenes of punks bowling frozen turkeys on the graveyard shift in a supermarket, or snapping turtles loose in a loft and gnawing on designer shoes, this novel has comic charm to spare. But it also packs an appealingly downbeat message about the consumer culture: Becoming a vampire has given the twentysomething heroine "a crampless case of rattlesnake PMS"--a grumpy mood in which she realizes that she can dress to the nines as a "Donner Party Barbie" and still end up disillusioned and unhappy, just another slacker doing her own laundry and watching sucky TV 'til the sun rises.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:34:44 -0400)

Tommy, a budding young writer from Indiana, falls in love with a novice vampire who is still trying to adjust to her new status.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,419,545 books! | Top bar: Always visible