Bloodsucking Fiends: A Love Story

by Christopher Moore

Series: Love Story (1)

A striking red-head, 20-something Jody is attacked and transformed into a vampire while walking home one night in downtown San Francisco. Befriending 19-year-old Tommy, Jody tries to understand her new undead life, but trouble finds her when the cops start suspecting Tommy of being a local bloodsucking serial killer.… (more)
    Survival of the Fattest by Johnny B. Truant (LongDogMom)
    Who's Afraid of Beowulf? by Tom Holt (Dr.Science)
    Dr.Science: The English author Tom Holt is relatively unknown in America, but very popular in England. If you enjoy Jasper Fforde or Christopher Moore you will most certainly enjoy Tom Holt's wry sense of English humor and the absurd. He has written a number of excellent books including Expecting Someone Taller, and Flying Dutch, but they may be difficult to find at your library or bookstore.… (more)
    Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal by Christopher Moore (Ti99er)

How in the hell have I not read this before? Such a fun read, and couldn't put it down. I think my favorite character would have to be the Emperor -- it took me well into the book to realize he was homeless. I mean, it's absurdist fiction. There are vampires -- why not an Emperor of San Francisco? ( )
  amandanan | Jun 6, 2020 |
Another rollicking romp from Christopher Moore. The man can write comedy.
  pjohanneson | May 5, 2020 |
Really fun take on the whole non-sparkly vampire thing. Sometimes it almost feels like Mr. Moore is attempting to make some sort of social statement then he bronzes a live turtle and mocks himself. Definitely for adults, but a fun read. ( )
  Skybalon | Mar 19, 2020 |
This novel offered a delightful spin on the urban vampire concept. ( )
  G-Morrison | Nov 18, 2019 |
Aspiring writer Tommy arrives in San Francisco to gain some life experience but needs a job to pay the rent. With help from the Emperor he is quickly set up as night manager at a Safeway and this is where he encounters Jody, a newly turned vampire. She’s going to need someone to do the daytime things that need doing seeing as sunlight has a deleterious effect on her complexion and Tommy seems an ideal candidate. Tommy’s never had a girlfriend before and the sex is great so he doesn’t even mind a bit of biting if that’s what she’s into. Problems start arising for the pair when bodies start turning up near to where they’re living that are drained of blood. Jody knows she hasn’t killed anyone yet so is the vampire who made her playing some sort of game with her?

This is a fun, light-hearted take on the vampire mythos. I already know I like the author’s style having enjoyed several of his books previously and this one proves no exception. It was also good to run into a couple of familiar characters who help fill out the cast in this one. It’s a quick, fast-paced read and while the story is self-contained it still leaves it open enough for a sequel. I liked the characters and story enough to want to spend more time with them (though not immediately) and it’s a good job as I already have the other 2 books in the trilogy sitting on the tbr shelves already. ( )
  AHS-Wolfy | Feb 16, 2019 |

Christopher Mooreprimary authorall editionscalculated
Marten, RuthCover illustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

In memory of my father: Jack Davis Moore
Sundown painted purple across the great Pyramid while the Emperor enjoyed a steaming whiz against a dumpster in the alley below.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 150,854,926 books! | Top bar: Always visible