Bloodsucking Fiends: A Love Story by…

Bloodsucking Fiends: A Love Story (1995)

by Christopher Moore

Survival of the Fattest by Johnny B. Truant (LongDogMom)
    Who's Afraid of Beowulf? by Tom Holt (Dr.Science)
    Dr.Science: The English author Tom Holt is relatively unknown in America, but very popular in England. If you enjoy Jasper Fforde or Christopher Moore you will most certainly enjoy Tom Holt's wry sense of English humor and the absurd. He has written a number of excellent books including Expecting Someone Taller, and Flying Dutch, but they may be difficult to find at your library or bookstore.… (more)
    Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal by Christopher Moore (Ti99er)

So, what do you think of when you think of vampire novels? The creepy yet compelling menace of Bela Lugosi? The tormented goth ennui of Anne Rice's Louis and Lestat? The rat-faced nightmare of Max Shrek in F.W. Murnau's Nosferatu? How about a 26 year old redhead who suffers an existential crisis when she realizes that, since her new body will never change, she'll never, ever lose those last 5 pounds? That's right folks, Christopher Moore has added a hitherto unknown element to the vampire novel: a sense of humor.

I'll admit I'm biased. I've read most everything Moore has written, and his sense of humor hits me just right. I think it has something to do with the fruitbat. Anyway, when a topic has become as cliché and stale as the vampire novel, a dash of humor can really freshen it up. The thing that makes this novel work is that Moore has created a vampire novel where the vampire is the least interesting character.

Next to characters like the 5 Wongs, the Vampires Anonymous support group and the Animals, our villain is a curmudgeonly old stick in the mud, hardly worthy of any attention. Which is not to say that the story has no tension, just that the more typically "horror" elements are not the main focus.

What is the main focus, you ask? Just look at the subtitle, folks. This is the book that asks can a 26 year old undead redhead and a naïve 19 year old from Incontinence, Indiana make their relationship work? But even here Moore does not settle for the obvious. Jody (the redhead) and Tommy (the naïf) have some issues, but they have very little to do with the whole blood-drinking, sleeps-all-day, minion-of-Satan aspect of their relationship. They (and all of the myriad bizarre, odd, or just plain weird folks who pop up in this book) are just regular, recognizable folks, trying to make it day to day. They just have to do it in much stranger surroundings than most of us.

The pace of the book is lightning fast, and Moore is extremely adept at juggling his largish cast of characters. It's rare for any characters to overstay their welcome; you move on too quickly to get bored. The characters themselves are sharply etched. Moore has a gift for delineating even incidental, nameless characters with a few deft strokes.

Moore combines a fast-paced plot, hilariously wacky characters, and a touch of blood and melancholy and comes up with a thoroughly enjoyable postmodern vampire tale. Which is really just a high-falutin' way of saying Bloodsucking Fiends is a fine and very funny book, and I think you'll like it, if you give it a try.
  Mrs_McGreevy | Nov 17, 2016 |
I'm not usually one for vampire books, but I enjoyed this book. The characters were well developed and likeable. I wish the cover art wasn't so dull, and showed more of the characters. I thought this book was cute and easy to read. It was nice to hear how Jody and Thomas were falling in love, and the threat of the vampire hunting them. I can not wait to read the other books in the series, and see how this love story unfolds. ( )
  Katlers | Jun 15, 2016 |
Read *at least* twice.
FUNNY ... great read. So far loving all Christopher Moore's books
(first re-read - in prep for reading the sequel You Suck")"
  GeetuM | Jun 3, 2016 |
re-reading now - in prep for reading the sequel "You Suck" ( )
  GeetuM | Jun 3, 2016 |
i couldn't really get into this one - one a huge enough fan of vampire lore, i suppose. ( )
  anglophile65 | Mar 8, 2016 |
In memory of my father: Jack Davis Moore
Sundown painted purple across the great Pyramid while the Emperor enjoyed a steaming whiz against a dumpster in the alley below.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0060735414, Paperback)

Here's something different: a vampire novel that's light, funny, and not at all hackneyed. Between scenes of punks bowling frozen turkeys on the graveyard shift in a supermarket, or snapping turtles loose in a loft and gnawing on designer shoes, this novel has comic charm to spare. But it also packs an appealingly downbeat message about the consumer culture: Becoming a vampire has given the twentysomething heroine "a crampless case of rattlesnake PMS"--a grumpy mood in which she realizes that she can dress to the nines as a "Donner Party Barbie" and still end up disillusioned and unhappy, just another slacker doing her own laundry and watching sucky TV 'til the sun rises.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:29 -0400)

Tommy, a budding young writer from Indiana, falls in love with a novice vampire who is still trying to adjust to her new status.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,833,217 books! | Top bar: Always visible