Bloodsucking Fiends: A Love Story by…

Bloodsucking Fiends: A Love Story (1995)

by Christopher Moore

Survival of the Fattest by Johnny B. Truant (LongDogMom)
    Who's Afraid of Beowulf? by Tom Holt (Dr.Science)
    Dr.Science: The English author Tom Holt is relatively unknown in America, but very popular in England. If you enjoy Jasper Fforde or Christopher Moore you will most certainly enjoy Tom Holt's wry sense of English humor and the absurd. He has written a number of excellent books including Expecting Someone Taller, and Flying Dutch, but they may be difficult to find at your library or bookstore.… (more)
    Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal by Christopher Moore (Ti99er)

i couldn't really get into this one - one a huge enough fan of vampire lore, i suppose. ( )
  anglophile65 | Mar 8, 2016 |
This turned out to be such a quick read. Before I knew it, the end had come long before I was ready for it, which left me glad that there was a second in the series, which I hope to start soon. This was a solid book, very humorous with a great flow. The characters seem ludicrous and larger than life, but at the same time, grounded in the reality of their world. Vampire Jody struggles with her very human issues while having to navigate through this new nocturnal life, which makes her so much more relatable than a character who only worries about their new vampiric life and how to survive. Jody has a suffocating mother to placate, a confused human minion/boyfriend/roommate to maneuver, and an array of self image issues to wade through before even touching her possible immortality. Meanwhile, human minion Tommy seems more than willing, at first, to completely forget about his own issues of inadequacies and loneliness, preferring instead,to deal with Jody’s condition. And then there is her mysterious creator who keeps constant tabs on her….

All in all, it is a very quirky, very fun and lighthearted book. A refreshing read for those tired of the gloomy and brooding bloodsuckers saturating the market. ( )
  heylu | Mar 4, 2016 |
First in Moore's Vampire trilogy. This is where we meet all of the characters, Jody who is turned into a vampire at the start of the book who now finds herself a powerful young woman as opposed to her dead end office job in San Francisco. C. Thomas Flood who has left Indiana to go to California to be a writer. The Animals from the grocery store.

Was nice to finally see the beginning of all of the characters as I had read book 2 and three in the series prior to happening upon this one. Really do like the story and the characters are set up and make much more sense to me now that I have learned of their beginings. ( )
  ChrisWeir | Mar 2, 2016 |
A light and funny vampire novel....
Tommy's a teenager from Indiana, fresh off the bus to the big city, full of dreams of being a great writer... Jody's a twenty-six year old with a dead-end job and a bad relationship. But when a violent and mysterious nighttime attack leaves Jody as a vampire - but with a ton of cash - the first thing she realizes is that she'll need someone who can get around in the daytime to manage her affairs. Impressionable Tommy seems like just the right candidate. But Tommy begins to realize that a disconcerting number of corpses seem to be turning up in the vicinity of his new girlfriend...

Fun, but remarkable for its vivid depiction of its setting, San Francisco - it really made me want to go back and visit the city again! ( )
  AltheaAnn | Feb 9, 2016 |
This book was well written but I just never connected with the characters. The two main characters just fit the stereo typical dumb young type. I disliked Thomas and his "boy" antics, his friends just as irritating. Jody, well she becomes a vampire unwillingly, she struggles with the blood need, kind of. She feels lonely, she needs somebody that can understand her needs, after only a couple of weeks ??? She never gives the another a chance. I started liking it more towards the end, then everything switched back ?!?!? Needless to say I hated the ending, and I did not like the characters, but I still enjoyed it. ( )
  TheYodamom | Jan 29, 2016 |
In memory of my father: Jack Davis Moore
Sundown painted purple across the great Pyramid while the Emperor enjoyed a steaming whiz against a dumpster in the alley below.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0060735414, Paperback)

Here's something different: a vampire novel that's light, funny, and not at all hackneyed. Between scenes of punks bowling frozen turkeys on the graveyard shift in a supermarket, or snapping turtles loose in a loft and gnawing on designer shoes, this novel has comic charm to spare. But it also packs an appealingly downbeat message about the consumer culture: Becoming a vampire has given the twentysomething heroine "a crampless case of rattlesnake PMS"--a grumpy mood in which she realizes that she can dress to the nines as a "Donner Party Barbie" and still end up disillusioned and unhappy, just another slacker doing her own laundry and watching sucky TV 'til the sun rises.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:29 -0400)

Tommy, a budding young writer from Indiana, falls in love with a novice vampire who is still trying to adjust to her new status.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,852,618 books! | Top bar: Always visible