You Suck: A Love Story by Christopher Moore

You Suck: A Love Story (2007)

by Christopher Moore

3,385None1,591 (3.79)92
2007 (30) 2008 (13) Christopher Moore (27) comedy (57) ebook (22) fantasy (104) fiction (342) funny (16) hardcover (14) horror (26) humor (355) love (13) love story (16) novel (27) own (20) paranormal (21) read (58) read in 2007 (18) romance (61) San Francisco (67) satire (21) sequel (13) series (19) sff (14) signed (18) supernatural (22) to-read (45) unread (25) urban fantasy (36) vampires (405)
    Who's Afraid of Beowulf? by Tom Holt (Dr.Science)
    Dr.Science: The English author Tom Holt is relatively unknown in America, but very popular in England. If you enjoy Jasper Fforde or Christopher Moore you will most certainly enjoy Tom Holt's wry sense of English humor and the absurd. He has written a number of excellent books including Expecting Someone Taller, and Flying Dutch, but they may be difficult to find at your library or bookstore.… (more)
    The Stupidest Angel: A Heartwarming Tale of Christmas Terror by Christopher Moore (meggyweg)
    Vampire Taxonomy: Identifying and Interacting with the Modern-Day Bloodsucker by Meredith Woerner (meggyweg)
    Vampires Anonymous by Jeffrey N. McMahan (GirlMisanthrope)
    GirlMisanthrope: Vampires plus humor.

English (125)  Spanish (1)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (127)
I learned my lesson years ago never to read Christopher Moore in public. All I have to say about YOU SUCK is that the scene with the cat had me in tears. ( )
  sweetzombieducky | Feb 14, 2014 |
Highly entertaining, an excellent sequel, and a good palate-cleanser after the more complex and daunting "Little, Big". Recommended for a quick read and a fun time. ( )
  unsquare | Feb 6, 2014 |
This is my first Christopher Moore book, and I'm not typically a vampire story reader. This was highly entertaining and will not be my last Christopher Moore book :) ( )
  snoble23 | Jan 3, 2014 |
For Halloween this year, I went as a bad standup-comedian vampire. I wrote some jokes that followed typical standup subject matter but entirely without punch lines. My style was Steven Wright minus the payoff. I dressed as a vampire, wore realistic fangs, too, and performed the routine at two parties with a plant in the audience each time directed to shout, after four jokes, “You suck!!!”

I killed.

Hahahah. Well, I kill me, anyway.

So a while back a friend loaned me the novel, You Suck because he said it was hilarious. When I realized it was part two of a trilogy, the OCD completist in me couldn’t read it without buying part one Bloodsucking Fiends and part three Bite Me. This review will cover all three installments.

All three books have a delightfully whimsical, campy quality. Occasionally, there are moments of pseudo-profound introspection, but these are some of the least satisfying elements in the books. The Vampire Trilogy, as Moore calls it, at its finest puts a few hilarious characters in embarrassing situations. And he’s got some brilliant lines sprinkled throughout to season the meal.

Bloodsucking Fiends is by far the least funny and least satisfying of the three. I would describe it as fun without being all that funny. There were several plot twists, especially toward the end, that were quite unconvincing. I also found one of the two main characters, the 19-year old writer wannabe, to be rather annoying and far too naïve-country-boy-comes-to-big-city while the other main character was a bit too bland. Nonetheless, Moore sustained my interest through a barreling plot and amusing characters. I was definitely a bit disappointed and almost didn’t continue, but the OCD side took control, and I’m glad it did.

You Suck upped the hilarity quotient exceedingly through the introduction of two characters of comedic brilliance, the sick-and-twisted, uber-snarky goth girl Abby Normal (I wonder if Moore stole that name from Young Frankenstein. Or more accurately, did the character steal it because her “real” name is Allison Green while Abigail von Normal is her goth name) and her gay goth bff Jared. Apparently, Abby has a small role in one of Moore’s other novels, but she becomes much more significant in You Suck, and Bite Me is really more of her novel than the two hero vampires, Tommy and Jody. Good call, I say. because she is way damn funnier and smarter than either of them. She really steals the show with her wit and attitude. I could read Abby Normal all day.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see these novels as movies some day. The late-shift supermarket stockers/vampire-hunting stoners featured practically beg for a screenplay to be written for them. And surely some starlet needs to be Abby Normal in order to break from her goody-two-shoes casting. And plus … vampires. Nobody’s done a good vampire comedy since Love at First … okay, since ever. This could work.

Occasionally, the plot seems to get away from Moore and it requires more exposition than it should, but when he focuses on character, the story kills. Overall, worth reading … good comedy is bloody hard to do.
  David_David_Katzman | Nov 26, 2013 |
Not quite as good as "Bloodsucking Fiends", but Moore is always funny. ( )
  reneeg | Aug 20, 2013 |
As with his best work, there’s a fundamental sweetness beneath the antics. And the characters are developed with real affection. That most of them are dead is never allowed to seem sad. And for parasitical bloodsuckers, they do remarkably little harm.
added by stephmo | editNew York Times, Janet Maslin (Jan 15, 2007)

Susan Bennetts' sassy reading is a perfect fit for Moores satirical story and sarcastic dialogue.

For my readers, by request.
"You bitch, you killed me! You suck!"

Being undead sucks. Literally.

Just ask C. Thomas Flood. Waking up after a fantastic night unlike anything he's ever experienced, he discovers that his girlfriend, Jody, is a vampire. And surprise! Now he's one, too. For some couples, the whole biting-and-blood thing would have been a deal breaker. But Tommy and Jody are in love, and they vow to work through their issues.

But word has it that the vampire who initially nibbled on Jody wasn't supposed to be recruiting. Even worse, Tommy's erstwhile turkey-bowling pals are out to get him, at the urging of a blue-dyed Las Vegas call girl named (duh) Blue.

And that really sucks.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:31:40 -0400)

Waking up after a fantastic night only discover that his girlfriend is a vampire and has transformed him into one, a disgusted C. Thomas Flood struggles to adapt to his new powers, a cute teenage minion, and a dangerous faction of bloodsuckers who are determined to kill off all other vampires. Reprint.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,495,941 books! | Top bar: Always visible