Coyote Blue by Christopher Moore

Coyote Blue

by Christopher Moore

Recently added byprivate library, DuchessofHazard, javacado, SpookyReading, rainbowalphabet
    Divine Misfortune by A. Lee Martinez (Ape)
    Ape: Gods barging into the lives of innocent people and creating havoc.
    The Coyote Road: Trickster Tales by Ellen Datlow (Beorn_se_Bacaire)
    Who's Afraid of Beowulf? by Tom Holt (Dr.Science)
    Dr.Science: The English author Tom Holt is relatively unknown in America, but very popular in England. If you enjoy Jasper Fforde or Christopher Moore you will most certainly enjoy Tom Holt's wry sense of English humor and the absurd. He has written a number of excellent books including Expecting Someone Taller, and Flying Dutch, but they may be difficult to find at your library or bookstore.… (more)

English (46)  French (1)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (48)
This is one of my favorite books by Christopher Moore, although most of them are. That said, I will say that the book starts off a little slowly for me and it does take a while to warm up to the main character. However, once the beginning 20-40 pages are read, this book picks up speed and keeps going until the end.

Live all of Moore's books this story has humor to spare. Coyote is one of the most fun characters in the first place, so having him wreak havoc on the main character's life is fun to watch. Being inside Coyote's head occasionally is always great for hilarity, but as with most of Moore's books the hilarity really does carry some of that universal truth.

I tend to think of this book as a road trip book as for quite a lot of the book the characters are traveling or feel somewhat nomadic. I would say read the first 40 pages and if you aren't hooked on the story, feel free to go about your day. Other than a slow start, this book is an excellent read with more than a few parts that are laugh out loud funny. ( )
  jayble | Jul 10, 2015 |
Another bright romp from Christopher Moore, but not our favorite. Recommended for fans, of course. Just don't take his bits of pretension too seriously ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Apr 14, 2015 |
A really fun read. A nice look at the Native American trying to fit in to the white man's world without ever being preachy. Witty, mystic, suspenseful -- a good combination. ( )
  AliceAnna | Oct 13, 2014 |
A Christopher Moore I haven't read! Yahoo!

I enjoyed this book, as I do most Moore novels. He's got the right mix of zaney, bawdy, silly, outrageous, humanity, and mystical to make his books good reads, truly deserving of laughing out loud. Nice to see an early iteration of a character who shows up in several other books as well.

I kept thinking, while reading this, that when I was four, my family went on a cross-country trip. While out in "Indian Country" my parents bought me a book called "Coyote Tales", all about that mischief maker. Somehow, Old Man Coyote is a bit randier in Moore's book than in my memory, though maybe I ought to read the children's book again, and look for hidden meanings. You never know.

Tags: an-author-i-read, a-favorite-author, made-me-laugh-out-loud-for-real ( )
  bookczuk | Sep 4, 2014 |
More funny mayhem by Moore as insurance salesman, Samuel Hunter is forced back to his Crow roots by an appearance of Coyote.
  ritaer | Apr 20, 2014 |

Christopher Mooreprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Jenner, JamesNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book is dedicated to the Crow people.
While magic powder was sprinkled on the sidewalk outside, Samuel Hunter moved around his office like a machine, firing out phone calls, checking computer printouts, and barking orders to his secretary.

The plot concerns a salesman in Santa Barbara, California named Sam Hunter (a Crow Indian born Samson Hunts Alone) who, as a teenager, fled his home when he was involved in the death of a law officer. The novel begins when the adult Sam has his life turned upside down by Coyote, the ancient Native American trickster-god.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0060735430, Paperback)

This is an accelerating comedy with shadows setting off the wry, polished humor. Trickster deities thrive on contrariety, which is why one finds them bringing life into dead landscapes and disorder into order. A Santa Barbara insurance salesman's too-tidily-contained lifestyle, far from the Crow reservation he grew up on, is an irresistible target for Coyote, who wants to make sure his chosen people don't forget him. Coyote descends on Sam Hunter like one of Job's plagues, albeit a charmingly disingenuous one. "Why me? Why not someone who believes?" asks Sam, suffering from god-induced chaos. "This is more fun," says Coyote. He's right.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:59:02 -0400)

A Los Angeles insurance salesman who is a Native American turns to a ghost to help him find a missing girlfriend.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,857,733 books! | Top bar: Always visible