Coyote Blue by Christopher Moore

Coyote Blue

by Christopher Moore

Divine Misfortune by A. Lee Martinez (Ape)
    Ape: Gods barging into the lives of innocent people and creating havoc.
    Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal by Christopher Moore (sturlington)
    sturlington: My two favorite Moore novels.
    The Coyote Road: Trickster Tales by Ellen Datlow (Beorn_se_Bacaire)
    Who's Afraid of Beowulf? by Tom Holt (Dr.Science)
    Dr.Science: The English author Tom Holt is relatively unknown in America, but very popular in England. If you enjoy Jasper Fforde or Christopher Moore you will most certainly enjoy Tom Holt's wry sense of English humor and the absurd. He has written a number of excellent books including Expecting Someone Taller, and Flying Dutch, but they may be difficult to find at your library or bookstore.… (more)

English (45)  French (1)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (47)
A really fun read. A nice look at the Native American trying to fit in to the white man's world without ever being preachy. Witty, mystic, suspenseful -- a good combination. ( )
  AliceAnna | Oct 13, 2014 |
A Christopher Moore I haven't read! Yahoo!

I enjoyed this book, as I do most Moore novels. He's got the right mix of zaney, bawdy, silly, outrageous, humanity, and mystical to make his books good reads, truly deserving of laughing out loud. Nice to see an early iteration of a character who shows up in several other books as well.

I kept thinking, while reading this, that when I was four, my family went on a cross-country trip. While out in "Indian Country" my parents bought me a book called "Coyote Tales", all about that mischief maker. Somehow, Old Man Coyote is a bit randier in Moore's book than in my memory, though maybe I ought to read the children's book again, and look for hidden meanings. You never know.

Tags: an-author-i-read, a-favorite-author, made-me-laugh-out-loud-for-real ( )
  bookczuk | Sep 4, 2014 |
More funny mayhem by Moore as insurance salesman, Samuel Hunter is forced back to his Crow roots by an appearance of Coyote.
  ritaer | Apr 20, 2014 |
A Christopher Moore Book. At his best, he is laugh out loud, crazy, smart funny. At his worst, he is laugh out loud, crazy, and smart funny. This book falls in the middle. Coyote Blue is funny is smart, and always entertaining, but this isn't the best book I've read by him.

We have a former Crow Indian, turned chameleon Insurance Salesman. A God that is both naively innocent and dangerously mischievous. We get Las Vegas, a Bike Rally in Sturgis. The characters are funny - down to the Samson, himself, from the minor characters of Dinty Moore and the Japanese Business Man. We even have some Buddhist Monk Mechanics thrown in for good measure.

But the heart of the story is Sam, and his strange, fast, immediate Love of Calliope, a very down to earth Hippy (which is strange, in it self).

Should you read this? Yes. But on a rainy day where you want something funny, with just a hint seriousness. ( )
  TheDivineOomba | Oct 20, 2013 |
Sam Hunter has been on the run since he was a teenagers. He grew up as Sam Hunts Alone, a skeptic of his own traditions on a Crow Indian reservation, where he finds himself ironically longing for the lifestyle lived by the people on the television show Bonanza. After a tragic accident involving a dam and a spare tire Sam runs from the law, and becomes an incredibly successful insurance salesperson. Until one day his heritage comes crashing around his ears in the form of the kamikaze tornado-on-legs trickster god, Coyote.

There are a lot of jabs taken at Native American culture here, and initially I thought Moore was being very disrespectful, but of course by the end the atmosphere changes and it becomes a charming representation of a mythology we know little about anyway. Of course Christopher Moore is going to poke fun at people, that's what he does, but he always has more to tell than just jokes and this book is no different.

The story itself is a ridiculously cliche one. Man falls in love with woman upon seeing her, woman is in danger before man knows her at all, man rescues her, and so forth. It's okay though, Moore is funny so I forgive him. Besides, how can you not like a book where Minty Fresh makes an appearance? ( )
1 vote Ape | Aug 15, 2012 |

Christopher Mooreprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Jenner, JamesNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book is dedicated to the Crow people.
While magic powder was sprinkled on the sidewalk outside, Samuel Hunter moved around his office like a machine, firing out phone calls, checking computer printouts, and barking orders to his secretary.

The plot concerns a salesman in Santa Barbara, California named Sam Hunter (a Crow Indian born Samson Hunts Alone) who, as a teenager, fled his home when he was involved in the death of a law officer. The novel begins when the adult Sam has his life turned upside down by Coyote, the ancient Native American trickster-god.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0060735430, Paperback)

This is an accelerating comedy with shadows setting off the wry, polished humor. Trickster deities thrive on contrariety, which is why one finds them bringing life into dead landscapes and disorder into order. A Santa Barbara insurance salesman's too-tidily-contained lifestyle, far from the Crow reservation he grew up on, is an irresistible target for Coyote, who wants to make sure his chosen people don't forget him. Coyote descends on Sam Hunter like one of Job's plagues, albeit a charmingly disingenuous one. "Why me? Why not someone who believes?" asks Sam, suffering from god-induced chaos. "This is more fun," says Coyote. He's right.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:18:39 -0400)

A Los Angeles insurance salesman who is a Native American turns to a ghost to help him find a missing girlfriend.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,888,628 books! | Top bar: Always visible