Bark, George by Jules Feiffer

Bark, George (1999)

by Jules Feiffer

English (61)  Italian (1)  All languages (62)
Funny, funny, funny. The children and I laughed so much while reading this book! I recommend it for a great READ ALOUD! ( )
  1Avidfan | Apr 27, 2019 |
This book is packed full of fun animal sounds. This is a great read aloud book! ( )
  Morgan_Lindsey20 | Mar 28, 2019 |
This book is a very entertaining book that makes kids really interact with it. It is a great book to use in a lesson about different animals and the sounds that they make. I would recommend using this book for younger students who are learning about animals.
  taylorbeard29 | Apr 19, 2018 |
I really enjoyed this book. It was simple, but so cute. I really like how it introduced many animals into the book for children to see, so they would be able to understand. I think it also relates to children because it starts off with a dog, which is what most children are familiar with at one point of their life.
One thing I really enjoyed about his book was defiantly the illustrations. Every time Georges mother told him to bark and he would say a different animal sound, you could see the frustration in his mother’s eyes. Also, I liked when the illustrator showed all of the animals and the vet pulling the other animals out of George’s mouth.
The second thing that I enjoyed about this book was the writing. It was very flow-able and very easy for children to read. There was no hopping to one space and hopping to the next, but easy going and never skipped a beat. For example, when George’s mom brought George to the vet, you saw all the animals that made the sounds that George was making before, tying it all together.
The main idea of this story I think is just the introduction of new animals. It was not a complex book to read, but showed different animals and their sounds to students who might not be familiar with these animals in their hometowns. ( )
  OliviaLasure | Feb 27, 2017 |
It is a good fantasy book because it makes no nonsence and the characters are vivid. When George, a lanky puppy, is told by his mother to bark, he answers with a ‘meow’ and then a series of other animal noises. When she takes him to a human vet, the man pulls animal after animal out of George’s throat. The problem seems to be solved, until the last page when George opens his mouth and ‘Hello’ comes out.” ( )
  SSilvia | Feb 6, 2017 |

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0062051857, Hardcover)

When George's mother tells her son to bark, he meows. She patiently explains that "Cats go meow. Dogs go arf. Now, bark, George." But he quacks! Then oinks. Then moos. Becoming less patient and more exasperated, George's mom takes him to the vet, who reaches deep down inside the errant pup, and, much to everyone's surprise, pulls out a cat! Then a duck, a pig, and finally a cow. George is cured, and barks at last! On the way home, his proud mother wants to show off her convincingly doglike son to everyone on the street. But when she says, "Bark, George," he simply says, "Hello." This is the simplest offering yet from Jules Feiffer--creator of the delightful picture books Meanwhile and I Lost My Bear. Still, his cartoonish drawings are intensely expressive, alive, and hilarious. None of it will be lost on the youngest of readers who will giggle every time George fails to bark, every time the vet extracts a new animal, and at the final punchline, too. In a world of often overdone or underdone picture books, this fine Feiffer creation is just right. (Click to see a sample spread. Copyright 1999 by Jules Feiffer. Permission by HarperCollins Publishers.) (Ages 2 and older) --Karin Snelson

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:04 -0400)

A mother dog tries to teach her pup how to bark, and is surprised at why he wasn't learning.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,613,831 books! | Top bar: Always visible