Just Take My Heart by Mary Higgins Clark

Just Take My Heart (2009)

by Mary Higgins Clark

Recently added byarena100, areni55, areni33, StElizMH

In the past I have just loved Mary Higgins Clark, she is such a great suspense author! I did enjoy this book, but it was not a "love it" book for me. It was fast paced, to a point, for me. I found it was easy to keep reading once I got started, but it was hard to pick up again when I stopped for the purpose of I just "had" to see what would happen next. I feel like it started off on the right foot and kept my attention for the most part. The plot and side plots were very interesting and I did enjoy watching them play out. The characters were the best part for me. My favorite was Emily. I wasn't sure at first how Natalie's murder was fitting in with Emily, but as the book progressed a few chapters, it all made perfect sense and fell into a nice mystery. Zach, the creepy, murderous neighbor of Emily's made for an interesting side plot as well. I did feel like her heart transplant wasn't as much of a deal as the back of the book made it out to be. It seemed to me more of a way to get the title of the book. I didn't really see how it added much if anything to the book. This was a suspenseful book and really was a well written book, it just didn't do it for me personally. I'm not really sure why, just didn't click with me. I did finish it because to be honest I really did have to see how it all worked out. Haha, so I guess that's a contradiction to me saying it wasn't for me, but I just had to know. Not finishing it would have been like walking out of a movie halfway through, but then later wondering how it really ended. ;-) So, in a nutshell, writing was good and had decent flow, details were definitely there, suspense was there to a point, characters were great, and the plot and side plots were also good. I would suggest someone pick this book up if they are looking for a suspense novel that is an easy read with lots going on in it.

4/5 Stars ( )
  AngiesAngels | Nov 14, 2013 |
I really liked this book and found it hard to put down. Can't wait to read another ( )
  askum | Sep 8, 2013 |
This was not my favorite of Clark's, but it was good nonetheless. The cast supplied a good variation of creepy, untrustworthy, and oblivious. A typical legal thriller. ( )
  frozenplums | May 3, 2013 |
It is a fantastic story. It was enthralling from the first until the very last page. There are strong personalities and I've got quickly familiar with all of them. It also shows, that it's not up to somebody's education or social position whether they stand on the good or on the worse side of the law. On the other hand there is also a hint how the public view works when trial are discussed on broadcast. In this case it was helpful but that could easily turn around into the contrary. ( )
  Ameise1 | May 5, 2012 |
Fantastic book, got you holding until the end.... didn't like it at all! ( )
  katkimjac | Sep 19, 2011 |
For John Conheeney, Spouse Extraordinaire and For our wonderful children and grandchildren With love
It was the persistent sense of impending doom, not the nor'easter, that made Natalie flee from Cape Cod back to New Jersey in the predawn hours of Monday morning.
Jake pointed to the window. "Emily, he's got a listening device planted in your house. We could hear you talking to your dog just now."

Natalie Raines, one of Broadway's brightest stars, accidentally discovers who killed her former roommate and sets in motion a series of shocking events that puts more than one life in extreme peril.
While Natalie and her roommate, Jamie Evans, were both struggling young actresses, Jamie had been involved with a mysterious married man to whom she referred only by nickname. Natalie comes face to face with him years later and inadvertently addresses him by the nickname Jamie had used. A few days later, Natalie is found in her home in Closter, New Jersey, dying from a gunshot wound.
Immediately the police suspect Natalie's theatrical agent and soon-to-be-ex-husband, Gregg Aldrich. He had long been a "person of interest" and was known to have stalked Natalie to find out if she was seeing another man. But no charges are brought against him until two years later, when Jimmy Easton, a career criminal, suddenly comes forward to claim that Aldrich had tried to hire him to kill his wife. Easton knows details about the Aldrich home that only someone who had been there -- to plan a murder, for instance -- could possibly know.
The case is a plum assignment for Emily Wallace, an attractive thirty-two-year-old assistant prosecutor. As she spends increasingly long hours preparing for the trial, a seemingly well-meaning neighbor offers to take care of herdog in her absence. Unaware of his violent past, she gives him a key to her home...
As Aldrich's trial is making headlines, her boss warns Emily that this high-profile case will reveal personal matters about her, such as the fact that she had a heart transplant. And, during the trial, Emily experiences sentiments that defy all reason and continue after Gregg Aldrich's fate is decided by the jury.
In the meantime, she does not realize that her own life is now at risk.
A compelling novel that probes the mysteries of the human heart and mind, Just Take My Heart is Mary Higgins Clark's most spellbinding tale.

Emily, one of three friends inseparable since childhood, becomes a pawn in a plan to save one life at the expense of another. Emily Wallace, an attractive thirty-two-year-old assistant prosecutor and heart-transplant recipient, is given a plum assignment--the murder trial of theatrical agent Gregg Aldrich, accused of murdering his wife. During the trial, Emily experiences sentiments that defy all reason and continue after Gregg Aldrich's fate is decided by the jury. In the meantime, she does not realize that her own life is now at risk.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,443,248 books! | Top bar: Always visible