The Richer, The Poorer by Dorothy West

The Richer, The Poorer

by Dorothy West

If I didn't know this was a collection of "African-American themed short stories" I wouldn't realize it. Year, race is mentioned but not focused upon.
Every word is perfect. The tales are not too short, not too long... just right. Vivid. Mostly uplifting but never "oh, wo-is-me". I like that.
I wanted to move from one story to another. I wish there were more! ( )
  PallanDavid | Apr 21, 2014 |

VIRAGO EDITION:
For almost seven decades, Dorothy West has enriched America's literary tradition. Now, the fruits of her fabled career are offered up in a luminous collection of stories and essays. Their themes are universal: the daily misunderstandings between young and old, men and women, rich and poor, that can lead to tragedy; and the ways in which bonds of family and community can bring us together and tear us asunder. West's essays explore the poles of her remarkable life - from growing up black and middle-class in Boston, to her role in the Harlem Renaissance movement of the 1930s, to her life on Martha's Vineyard. Together they form a triumphant celebration of the work of one of America's genuine treasures.

On the heels of the bestseller success of her  novel The Wedding, Dorothy West,  the last surviving member of the Harlem  Renaissance, presents a collection of essays and stories that  explore both the realism of everyday life, and the  fantastical, extraordinary circumstances of one  woman's life in a mythic time. Traversing the  universal themes and conflicts between poverty and  prosperity, men and women, and young and old, and  compiling writing that spans almost seventy years,  The Richer, The Poorer not only  affords an unparalleled window into the  African-American middle class, but also delves into the  richness of experience of "one of the finest writers  produced in this country during the Roaring  Twenties"(Book Page).

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:33:33 -0400)

Seventeen stories of fiction and non-fiction. The story, Mammy, is on color discrimination among blacks, Jack in the Pot is about a woman on welfare whose lottery win only brings problems, and in The Penny, a boy rats on his parents to make money.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,666,826 books! | Top bar: Always visible