The last unicorn by Peter S. Beagle

The last unicorn (original 1968; edition 2008)

by Peter S. Beagle

4,203None1,181 (4.27)2 / 286
Member:quigui
Title:The last unicorn
Authors:Peter S. Beagle
Info:New York : Roc, 2008.
Collections:Owned, To read

The Last Unicorn by Peter S. Beagle (1968)

American (22) children (22) children's (43) children's literature (20) classic (52) classics (48) ebook (21) fairy tales (42) fantasy (1,238) favorite (20) favorites (22) fiction (497) made into movie (20) magic (110) novel (58) own (27) paperback (25) peter s. beagle (23) quest (24) read (87) science fiction (23) sf (26) sff (51) signed (39) speculative fiction (23) to-read (115) unicorns (272) unread (24) wizards (44) young adult (55)
    Stardust by Neil Gaiman (aslikeanarnian, MyriadBooks)
    MyriadBooks: For, "I do not know what you were like as a wood-nymph, madam, but you are a magnificent tree."
    The Line Between by Peter S. Beagle (aces)
    Lud-In-The-Mist by Hope Mirrlees (twilightnocturne)
    Spellfall by Katherine Roberts (bookel)
    The Ring of Allaire by Susan Dexter (humouress)
    humouress: An unusual equine is camouflaged by magic, and the quest cannot continue until the enchantment is broken.
    Elfleda [short story] by Vonda McIntyre (MyriadBooks)
    MyriadBooks: For another singular unicorn, in a tale more bitter than sweet. Available on the author's website.
    Spellhorn by Berlie Doherty (bookel)
    Ariel by Steven R. Boyett (spiphany)
    Rampant by Diana Peterfreund (cbcsms)
    The Silver Metal Lover by Tanith Lee (MyriadBooks)

English (84)  Italian (1)  German (1)  All languages (86)
My mom was surprised I'd never read it. And I saw the movie, which I loved for its campy 80's-ness and animation that wasn't Disney. The book follows the movie pretty damn well. It's almost word-for-word. So much that I'm afraid my experience with the movie colored my opinion of the book. I guess it's like when you hear the remix to a song first, then you hear the original version. But the remix was the first one you heard so you like that better. I'm sure there's a name for that phenomenon.

Anyway, I wish I could say I enjoyed it and could recommend it, but the fact is, I think I got more out of the movie than the book. Sorry to be that way. Maybe it was meant for the seventies. Maybe it was supposed to be old-world satirical, like "The Once and Future King".

For instance, one of the bandits eats a taco. I had to read that several times and look it up to make sure "taco" didn't have some weird etymology. And there are other anachronisms like the Rastafarian butterfly, Jewish names, and magic that works when the story needs it to.

But I also didn't like "The Once and Future King". I guess if you're going to make a humorous fantasy novel, you gotta go whole hog like "The Princess Bride". The movie felt more alive, with bright colors and good voice acting and better tension. But I'm glad I read it. ( )
  theWallflower | Mar 19, 2014 |
This is an amusing tale about a creature of fantasy, and the adventures of a very hit-and-miss magician. In the tradition of Cervantes, as opposed to C.S. Lewis, you will be swept along with the characters. Mr. Beagle is a good writer.
Read twice. ( )
  DinadansFriend | Jan 24, 2014 |
A unicorn who thinks she is the last of her kind set out to find what happened to the others and see if there are any like her left in the world. Along with way she meets with Schmedrick the magician and Molly Grue, hearing tales of the Red Bull the three make a journey to King Haggards castle to see if they can free the unicorns. I fell in love with the story as a child watching the VHS tape, but now this classic is one of my favorite books! ( )
  TheKnittedSheep | Jan 8, 2014 |
Read this book in college and enjoyed it. ( )
  Your_local_coyote | Dec 29, 2013 |
Amazing. Everything a story should be. Perfectly constructed, inspiring every kind of emotion, and perfectly paced. The only other story comparable for me, would be the Hobbit. I look forward to reading again at some point, but for now I'll just enjoy the afterglow. ( )
  davadog13 | Nov 21, 2013 |

Grant, MelvynCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Oakes, TerryCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sprangers, KickTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sweet, Darrell K.Cover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To the memory of Dr. Olfert Dapper, who saw a wild unicorn in the Maine woods in 1673, and for Robert Nathan, who has seen one or two in Los Angeles.

In memory of Louis Untermeyer and Edgar Pangborn.
The unicorn lived in a lilac wood, and she lived all alone.
"Mare? The unicorn trumpeted the word so shrilly that the man stopped pursuing her and clapped his hands to his ears. "Mare?" she demanded. "I, a horse? Is that what you take me for? Is that what you see?"
We are not always what we seem, and hardly ever what we dream.
The Deluxe Edition of "The Last Unicorn" includes the short story "Two Hearts" and a lengthy interview with the author. As such, it is a different work from regular editions of "The Last Unicorn," and should not be combined with them.

"The Last Unicorn: The Lost Version" should not be combined with "The Last Unicorn". While related, they are not the same story and are therefore different works.

"The Last Unicorn: Graphic Novel" should not be combined with "The Last Unicorn". It is a graphic novel adaptation of the novel, not an identical work.

AR 6.2; 11 Pts
This Red Bull does not
"give you wings." It captures all
the world's unicorns.
(yoyogod)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0451450523, Paperback)

The Last Unicorn is one of the true classics of fantasy, ranking with Tolkien's The Hobbit, Le Guin's Earthsea Trilogy, and Lewis Carroll's Alice in Wonderland. Beagle writes a shimmering prose-poetry, the voice of fairy tales and childhood:

The unicorn lived in a lilac wood, and she lived all alone. She was very old, though she did not know it, and she was no longer the careless color of sea foam but rather the color of snow falling on a moonlit night. But her eyes were still clear and unwearied, and she still moved like a shadow on the sea.

The unicorn discovers that she is the last unicorn in the world, and sets off to find the others. She meets Schmendrick the Magician--whose magic seldom works, and never as he intended--when he rescues her from Mommy Fortuna's Midnight Carnival, where only some of the mythical beasts displayed are illusions. They are joined by Molly Grue, who believes in legends despite her experiences with a Robin Hood wannabe and his unmerry men. Ahead wait King Haggard and his Red Bull, who banished unicorns from the land.

This is a book no fantasy reader should miss; Beagle argues brilliantly the need for magic in our lives and the folly of forgetting to dream. --Nona Vero

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:20:24 -0400)

Recounts the quest of the last unicorn, who leaves the protection of the enchanted forest to search for her own kind, and who is joined by Schmedrick the Magician and Molly Grue in her search.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,475,121 books! | Top bar: Always visible