The Last Unicorn by Peter S. Beagle

The Last Unicorn (original 1968; edition 1991)

by Peter S. Beagle

4,311931,146 (4.26)2 / 291
Member:Deearnia
Title:The Last Unicorn
Authors:Peter S. Beagle
Info:Roc Trade (1991), Edition: 0040-Anniversary, Paperback, 304 pages
Rating:***
Tags:fantasy

The Last Unicorn by Peter S. Beagle (1968)

Stardust by Neil Gaiman (aslikeanarnian, MyriadBooks)
    MyriadBooks: For, "I do not know what you were like as a wood-nymph, madam, but you are a magnificent tree."
    The Line Between by Peter S. Beagle (aces)
    The Ring of Allaire by Susan Dexter (humouress)
    humouress: An unusual equine is camouflaged by magic, and the quest cannot continue until the enchantment is broken.
    Lud-In-The-Mist by Hope Mirrlees (twilightnocturne)
    Spellhorn by Berlie Doherty (bookel)
    Spellfall by Katherine Roberts (bookel)
    Elfleda [short story] by Vonda McIntyre (MyriadBooks)
    MyriadBooks: For another singular unicorn, in a tale more bitter than sweet. Available on the author's website.
    Rampant by Diana Peterfreund (cbcsms)
    The Silver Metal Lover by Tanith Lee (MyriadBooks)
    Ariel by Steven R. Boyett (spiphany)

English (89)  German (2)  Italian (1)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (93)
This was an adorable book - a little sad in the end, but a very interesting and well written fantasy book. I really enjoyed it more than I thought I was going to at the beginning. It really was well structured and went together well, and had that bit of true fantasy that is just lovely and wondrous. Really enjoyed it! ( )
  sammii507 | Aug 19, 2014 |
I don't think I've ever read a book that the movie follows so closely. Word for word and scene for scene in most cases. ( )
  Mirandalg14 | Aug 18, 2014 |
This is normally a genre I wouldn't read, but I had to get this when it crossed my desk one day. When I was little, I was obsessed with Unicorns/My Little Ponies. I had this movie on VHS and watched it to death. I have a copy on DVD so any future children will have the chance to be obsessed too. I knew there was a graphic novel, but not an actual novel. The plot is the same as the movie, and I couldn't help but conjure up images from the movie as I read the book. I really enjoyed getting more insight into the characters, especially the unicorn. I would recommend this to anyone who has seen the movie, or is into the fantasy genre. ( )
  LISandKL | Aug 18, 2014 |
Beautiful, charming and even tearful at times. A beautiful fantasy.
  Musefall | Jul 29, 2014 |
A sweet fairytale that's magically written. The style reminded me a little of Stardust by Neil Gaiman. Anyone who loved the animated film from when they were a child will love this and as Beagle wrote the screenplay for the film it is a very faithful adaptation of the original text. ( )
  pcollins | Jul 27, 2014 |

Grant, MelvynCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Oakes, TerryCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sprangers, KickTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sweet, Darrell K.Cover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To the memory of Dr. Olfert Dapper, who saw a wild unicorn in the Maine woods in 1673, and for Robert Nathan, who has seen one or two in Los Angeles.

In memory of Louis Untermeyer and Edgar Pangborn.
The unicorn lived in a lilac wood, and she lived all alone. She was very old, though she did not know it, and she was no longer the careless color of sea foam but rather the color of snow falling on a moonlit night. But her eyes were still clear and unwearied, and she still moved like a shadow on the sea.
"Mare? The unicorn trumpeted the word so shrilly that the man stopped pursuing her and clapped his hands to his ears. "Mare?" she demanded. "I, a horse? Is that what you take me for? Is that what you see?"
We are not always what we seem, and hardly ever what we dream.
The Deluxe Edition of "The Last Unicorn" includes the short story "Two Hearts" and a lengthy interview with the author. As such, it is a different work from regular editions of "The Last Unicorn," and should not be combined with them.

"The Last Unicorn: The Lost Version" should not be combined with "The Last Unicorn". While related, they are not the same story and are therefore different works.

"The Last Unicorn: Graphic Novel" should not be combined with "The Last Unicorn". It is a graphic novel adaptation of the novel, not an identical work.

This Red Bull does not
"give you wings." It captures all
the world's unicorns.
(yoyogod)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0451450523, Paperback)

The Last Unicorn is one of the true classics of fantasy, ranking with Tolkien's The Hobbit, Le Guin's Earthsea Trilogy, and Lewis Carroll's Alice in Wonderland. Beagle writes a shimmering prose-poetry, the voice of fairy tales and childhood:

The unicorn discovers that she is the last unicorn in the world, and sets off to find the others. She meets Schmendrick the Magician--whose magic seldom works, and never as he intended--when he rescues her from Mommy Fortuna's Midnight Carnival, where only some of the mythical beasts displayed are illusions. They are joined by Molly Grue, who believes in legends despite her experiences with a Robin Hood wannabe and his unmerry men. Ahead wait King Haggard and his Red Bull, who banished unicorns from the land.

This is a book no fantasy reader should miss; Beagle argues brilliantly the need for magic in our lives and the folly of forgetting to dream. --Nona Vero

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:20:24 -0400)

Recounts the quest of the last unicorn, who leaves the protection of the enchanted forest to search for her own kind, and who is joined by Schmedrick the Magician and Molly Grue in her search.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,258,387 books! | Top bar: Always visible