The Last Unicorn by Peter S. Beagle

The Last Unicorn (original 1968; edition 1991)

by Peter S. Beagle

4,886123943 (4.24)2 / 316
Member:Deearnia
Title:The Last Unicorn
Authors:Peter S. Beagle
Info:Roc Trade (1991), Edition: 0040-Anniversary, Paperback, 304 pages
Rating:***
Tags:fantasy

The Last Unicorn by Peter S. Beagle (1968)

Stardust by Neil Gaiman (aslikeanarnian, MyriadBooks)
    MyriadBooks: For, "I do not know what you were like as a wood-nymph, madam, but you are a magnificent tree."
    The Line Between by Peter S. Beagle (aces)
    The Ring of Allaire by Susan Dexter (humouress)
    humouress: An unusual equine is camouflaged by magic, and the quest cannot continue until the enchantment is broken.
    Lud-in-the-mist by Hope Mirrlees (twilightnocturne)
    Spellhorn by Berlie Doherty (bookel)
    Spellfall by Katherine Roberts (bookel)
    Elfleda [short story] by Vonda McIntyre (MyriadBooks)
    MyriadBooks: For another singular unicorn, in a tale more bitter than sweet. Available on the author's website.
    Rampant by Diana Peterfreund (cbcsms)
    The Silver Metal Lover by Tanith Lee (MyriadBooks)
    Ariel by Steven R. Boyett (spiphany)

English (113)  German (2)  Italian (1)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (117)
It is a classic, it is wonderful, it is heartbreaking, and it is beautiful. And I can never seen a movie version of a unicorn without seeing how lacking a white horse with a pseudo-horn on its head is, compared to how the Unicorn is described in this novel. ( )
  threadnsong | Jun 18, 2016 |
"In a fairy tale, nothing is without consequence. The unicorn, supposed to be the last, steps out of her forest, and it begins to die, she begins to fear, and she becomes the heroine. There is a point in the novel where the unicorn is turned into a human so as to escape detection from the being that would destroy her. They have no other choice, Schmendrick the Magician argues, as she becomes upset, knowing she may never become a unicorn again, that she may die in a prison. However, she knows as well as he, that one must continue the quest, because if she doesn't, no one else will. ..."

Read the rest of my review on my blog.

Or on booklikes.

I'm sorry about this, but I'm not sure I'm comfortable posting my reviews on GR anymore, knowing they are being uploaded to the Amazon Cloud server.
  knotbox | Jun 10, 2016 |
The Last Unicorn is beautifully written and a joy to read. The characters are engaging and lovable despite their large and obvious flaws, the plot moves along at a decent clip with unexpected twists and turns, and the ending is what should happen rather than what I wanted to happen. I wish I'd had this book read aloud to me as a child, because I feel that the ideal way to experience Beagle's gorgeous prose would be to hear it spoken by an enthusiastic parent. ( )
  shulera1 | Jun 7, 2016 |
Started but didn't finish.
  Donchiki | May 17, 2016 |
The Last Unicorn has always been one of my all-time favorite movies, and I couldn't be more pleased with the novel. It is even better than the movie, and yet it is made great by my own memory of the movie. Everything was so easy to picture because of the movie, but it was like seeing the movie full of deleted scenes and tidbits and extras and beautifulness.

Anyway. It's beautifully written, full of beautifully sad characters and t eautifully sad happenings. Everything about it is beautiful, from Shmendrick's irritating callousness, to Molly's romantic notions, to Lir's simple heroism, to the Unicorn's lost innocence.

This book is a work of art. ( )
  BrynDahlquis | May 12, 2016 |

Grant, MelvynCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Oakes, TerryCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sprangers, KickTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sweet, Darrell K.Cover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To the memory of Dr. Olfert Dapper, who saw a wild unicorn in the Maine woods in 1673, and for Robert Nathan, who has seen one or two in Los Angeles.

In memory of Louis Untermeyer and Edgar Pangborn.
The unicorn lived in a lilac wood, and she lived all alone. She was very old, though she did not know it, and she was no longer the careless color of sea foam but rather the color of snow falling on a moonlit night. But her eyes were still clear and unwearied, and she still moved like a shadow on the sea.
"Mare? The unicorn trumpeted the word so shrilly that the man stopped pursuing her and clapped his hands to his ears. "Mare?" she demanded. "I, a horse? Is that what you take me for? Is that what you see?"
We are not always what we seem, and hardly ever what we dream.
The Deluxe Edition of "The Last Unicorn" includes the short story "Two Hearts" and a lengthy interview with the author. As such, it is a different work from regular editions of "The Last Unicorn," and should not be combined with them.

"The Last Unicorn: The Lost Version" should not be combined with "The Last Unicorn". While related, they are not the same story and are therefore different works.

"The Last Unicorn: Graphic Novel" should not be combined with "The Last Unicorn". It is a graphic novel adaptation of the novel, not an identical work.

This Red Bull does not
"give you wings." It captures all
the world's unicorns.
(yoyogod)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0451450523, Paperback)

The Last Unicorn is one of the true classics of fantasy, ranking with Tolkien's The Hobbit, Le Guin's Earthsea Trilogy, and Lewis Carroll's Alice in Wonderland. Beagle writes a shimmering prose-poetry, the voice of fairy tales and childhood:

The unicorn discovers that she is the last unicorn in the world, and sets off to find the others. She meets Schmendrick the Magician--whose magic seldom works, and never as he intended--when he rescues her from Mommy Fortuna's Midnight Carnival, where only some of the mythical beasts displayed are illusions. They are joined by Molly Grue, who believes in legends despite her experiences with a Robin Hood wannabe and his unmerry men. Ahead wait King Haggard and his Red Bull, who banished unicorns from the land.

This is a book no fantasy reader should miss; Beagle argues brilliantly the need for magic in our lives and the folly of forgetting to dream. --Nona Vero

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:01:10 -0400)

Recounts the quest of the last unicorn, who leaves the protection of the enchanted forest to search for her own kind, and who is joined by Schmedrick the Magician and Molly Grue in her search.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,857,386 books! | Top bar: Always visible