Today I Feel Silly by Jamie Lee Curtis

Today I Feel Silly (edition 2000)

by Jamie Lee Curtis

Member:JulianneM
Title:Today I Feel Silly
Authors:Jamie Lee Curtis
Info:HarperCollins Publishers (2000), Hardcover
Tags:feelings, silly, mad, angry, happy, frustrated, behavior, character, children, rhyming, picture book, emotions

Today I Feel Silly: And Other Moods That Make My Day by Jamie Lee Curtis

This book is great for young children because it’s all about different moods we all go through. In this book, the main character a curly hair little girl discuss her different moods. Each of the moods are identified and example are offered in rhyme. The book includes a cardboard face with a twirling disk that allows the students to adjust the eyes and mouth to express the mood they are feeling. This book is filled with very beautiful and bright illustrations.

Comprehensive Strategy:
For younger students- Think-A-Loud followed by how do you feel questions and allow the students to use the included cardboard face. This will help students identify their own feelings, as well as others.
Kindergarten and older can use this book to write their own mood books in writer’s workshop. ( )
  kafreehill | Dec 1, 2016 |
This is a great book to use in the classroom when taking about feelings. It is silly and funny but also talks about other feelings children may have and how it is ok to feel that way. ( )
  AshleighDacus | Oct 28, 2016 |
What a fantastic book to discuss emotions and human reactions. When one asks a child how they are, the response usually is "good" or "fine". It is vital for children to understand the more scope of feelings and almost more importantly, that all feelings are okay to feel. We are human and everything starts with a feeling. Each page, the young girl narrates why she is feeling a particular way. I appreciate that the author did not just say the feeling but makes the character give evidence as to why she is feeling that way. The illustrator does a fantastic job making the words visual. The illustrations are colorful but more importantly, meaningful. I have used this book with both my students and my own child. As I read the words, I have children looking for the evidence in the illustration. How do we know her emotion? Why is she feeling this way? Where in the picture can we find that? Then have the children make a personal connection. Have you ever felt this way? Tell us about that moment. This gives children a safe space to talk about their feelings and gives them more vocabulary to describe their feelings. There is a difference between mad, frustrated, and angry. I have also connected this book with PBIS, Kelso's Choices and Zones of Regulation curriculum. ( )
  nkoffler | Oct 4, 2016 |
This book is definitely one you will want to have in your classroom library! The text itself is very catchy with its rhyme scheme, and the bright, colorful illustrations just add to the story. This book is particularly good for morning meetings or emotional "check-ins," with the students. The book is very relevant to students, and they are typically able to make some great text-to-self connections.
  hannahpere | Sep 8, 2016 |
This is a book the would give children examples of how their mood changes through out the day. These illustrations are very entertaining. Ages 3-5
  MarinaMayster | Mar 23, 2016 |

Jamie Lee Curtisprimary authorall editionscalculated
Cornell, LauraIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0060245603, Hardcover)

Jamie Lee Curtis has starred in many movies, but she says that the children's books she has written mean more to her than any of her films. She and artist Laura Cornell have previously collaborated on two bestselling books: Tell Me Again About the Night I Was Born and When I Was Little: A Four-Year-Old's Memoir of Her Youth. This time, we follow a little girl with curly red hair through 13 different moods, beginning with silly: "Today I feel silly. / Mom says it's the heat. I put rouge on the cat / and gloves on my feet." Of course, silly soon turns to grumpy and mean... to excited... to confused, and so on. Recognizing one's own mood swings is a developmental milestone, one that some adults haven't yet mastered! Cornell's watercolor illustrations--wildly expressive and energetic--effectively capture the volatility of our redheaded star. Whether she is happy or mad or dancing a solo in jazz, she is always "full of pizzazz," and this book is, too. A clever mood wheel on the last page allows young readers to change the little girl's expression--both her eyes and mouth. This is silly fun with a smart lesson for children from ages 4 to 8. --Marcie Bovetz

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:57:42 -0400)

A child's emotions range from silliness to anger to excitement, coloring and changing each day.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,726,744 books! | Top bar: Always visible