Today I Feel Silly: And Other Moods That…

Today I Feel Silly: And Other Moods That Make My Day (edition 1998)

by Jamie Lee Curtis, Laura Cornell (Illustrator)

Member:rcreamer10
Title:Today I Feel Silly: And Other Moods That Make My Day
Authors:Jamie Lee Curtis
Other authors:Laura Cornell (Illustrator)
Info:Harper Collins Publishers
Rating:****1/2
Tags:moods, emotions, rhyming

Today I Feel Silly: And Other Moods That Make My Day by Jamie Lee Curtis

I liked this book for several reasons. This is a great book for younger children because it is a book about moods and how children express themselves. The character, a little girl who is going through her moods, makes this story because she as a character is well-developed and believable. Each day, shes in a new mood and encounters things other students at an elementary level could encounter too. This helps the reader relate to the character and make the book feel more realistic and relate-able. The language of this book is very neat. The language of this book is descriptive and patterned, it keeps readers interested because the book is written in stanzas that rhyme. The big picture of this book is that it is best to be happy, because out of all her moods things are best when she and everyone is happy. ( )
  cberry6 | Nov 14, 2018 |
The illustrations in this book are a little too wild and chaotic for my taste, but children will love the vibrant colors. They will also love the rhythm and rhyme because it sounds like a song. Children will be able to relate to this book because the author gives so many different details. "I'd rather feel silly, excited, or glad than cranky or grumpy, discouraged or sad. But moods are just something that happen each day. Whatever I'm feeling inside is okay!" This book lets children know that it is okay to feel sad or mad. This book can also be used in the curriculum for synonyms or descriptive words.

How can we become more aware of our emotions so that our responses follow the Golden Rule? ( )
  mskathyphan | Oct 8, 2018 |
Today I Feel Silly & Other Moods That Make My Day by Jamie Lee Curtis is a fun book to read. The story sends out a message that it is normal to experience good moods and bad moods. The last page of the story says it all. It states “I’d rather feel silly, excited, or glad than cranky or grumpy, discouraged or sad. But moods are just something that happen each day. Whatever I’m feeling inside is okay.”

My favorite part of the book was the fact that the text rhymed and flowed; it was almost as if I was singing the words in my head. I think children would love reading this book out loud.

The pictures are very comical. On the page where the young girl is angry at her friends, her red face takes up two pages and it looks like she is going to explode. We all feel crazy like this sometimes, and it is funny to see how dramatic we can be about it.

I also appreciated that this book included an array of moods and reasons why the narrator felt them. Young readers could learn why some days they feel different than other days. Emotions are a huge part of life and I like that there is a children’s book about them. ( )
  kcoope17 | Sep 10, 2018 |
In my opinion this is a great book! This book was about a curly haired, little girl and her many different moods. I liked this book because it rhymed, which made it fun to read. Some of the text was surprisingly funny and would for sure make children laugh; for example, “Today I am cranky so nothing seems right I have diarrhea and broke my new kite. Mom dyed her hair orange. My dad shaved his beard. My tooth came in crooked. This family is weird.” The rhyming text provides a steady reading pace for children to follow while reading the book. I love rhyming books because they keep me engaged and are exciting to read. I also enjoyed this book because of the illustrations. The pictures in the book definitely enhanced the text. Each page highlighted a different mood of the main character; as a reader, it is helpful to get an illustration that completely depicts everything that is written in the text and this story did exactly that. This book was also interactive. For example, a cardboard face with twirling disks is at the end of the book The face allows children to adjust the eyes and mouth to the mood they’re feeling, which is a great introduction for parents to be able to discuss moods with their children. The main idea of the book is to inform children that having different moods is okay. This book gives children a chance to open up about how they are feeling to their families and it can also serve as an introduction to different facial expressions and what they mean. ( )
  lyndseykrafft | Sep 4, 2018 |
The book goes through emotions in a way that children can relate the beautiful pages are engaging and each page goes through her emotions and why she feels this way. This is a great book to help children see there emtions and how to react to them .
ages 4 and up
Pierce CC and home collection ( )
  LoraW | Aug 15, 2018 |

Jamie Lee Curtisprimary authorall editionscalculated
Cornell, LauraIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0060245603, Hardcover)

Jamie Lee Curtis has starred in many movies, but she says that the children's books she has written mean more to her than any of her films. She and artist Laura Cornell have previously collaborated on two bestselling books: Tell Me Again About the Night I Was Born and When I Was Little: A Four-Year-Old's Memoir of Her Youth. This time, we follow a little girl with curly red hair through 13 different moods, beginning with silly: "Today I feel silly. / Mom says it's the heat. I put rouge on the cat / and gloves on my feet." Of course, silly soon turns to grumpy and mean... to excited... to confused, and so on. Recognizing one's own mood swings is a developmental milestone, one that some adults haven't yet mastered! Cornell's watercolor illustrations--wildly expressive and energetic--effectively capture the volatility of our redheaded star. Whether she is happy or mad or dancing a solo in jazz, she is always "full of pizzazz," and this book is, too. A clever mood wheel on the last page allows young readers to change the little girl's expression--both her eyes and mouth. This is silly fun with a smart lesson for children from ages 4 to 8. --Marcie Bovetz

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:57:42 -0400)

A child's emotions range from silliness to anger to excitement, coloring and changing each day.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 131,574,356 books! | Top bar: Always visible