The Melancholy Death of Oyster Boy: and…

The Melancholy Death of Oyster Boy: and Other Stories (edition 1997)

by Tim Burton

Member:MostDisturbingBooks
Title:The Melancholy Death of Oyster Boy: and Other Stories
Authors:Tim Burton
Info:HarperEntertainment (1997), Edition: 1st, Hardcover, 128 pages
Tags:Fiction, Non-Fiction

The Melancholy Death of Oyster Boy & Other Stories by Tim Burton

The Gashlycrumb Tinies by Edward Gorey (Bookmarque)
    Bookmarque: If you're twisted enough to appreciate TGT, you will also love this.
    Cautionary Tales for Children by Edward Gorey (Moomin_Mama)
    Moomin_Mama: Both feature cruel but funny poems about the demise of children, and the illustrations are similar in tone.
    Roald Dahl's Revolting Rhymes by Roald Dahl (Bitter_Grace)
    Coraline by Neil Gaiman (SynonEmm)
    The Beastly Baby by Edward Gorey (Bitter_Grace)
    The Boy Who Kicked Pigs by Tom Baker (Moomin_Mama)
    Moomin_Mama: Both are morbid and strange and are illustrated similarly.
    Contes by Jacob Grimm (roulette.russe)
    roulette.russe: For the gloomy side of these stories...
    The Epiplectic Bicycle by Edward Gorey (Hibou8)

English (41)  Finnish (2)  Spanish (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (45)
A darling, dark and sinister read! I chuckled a lot. ( )
  nebula21 | Jul 26, 2015 |
Haha, what can I say about this book(let)? I knew before I was a fan of Burton's work, and The Melancholy Death of Oyster Boy has only confirmed this.

Not at all what I thought it would be when I picked up this book, but it turned out to be a real treat. Something to read over and over again in the years to come, I'm sure! ( )
  bbbart | May 30, 2015 |
I picked this up at a used bookstore for less than a dollar and decided to give it a whirl. If you like Tim Burton, you'll like this short book of darkly humorous poetry, many about oddly born children. Each poem has accompanying illustrations in Tim Burton's well-known style. Overall, it was alright, but I'm not a huge Tim Burton fan so it was just middle of the road for me.

As a random factoid, I like that the back 'about the author' blurb includes the tidbit "His second film, the twenty-seven-minute FRANKENWEENIE, was deemed unsuitable for children and never released in theaters." Hollywood has obviously changed its tune since 1997 (when this was originally published) as the full length Frankenweenie movie came out in theaters this past year. ( )
  luminescent_bookworm | Jan 27, 2015 |
This is not the typical type of book I would pick up... but a friend lent me her copy..
and I have to say, it was amazing!

The poems are wicked and creepy and I enjoyed them just a little too much :P

Its like once you are done reading, you just can't help but question Tim Burton's mental state (in a good way?) and possibly your own since you found the stories and illustrations insanely funny. ( )
  o.orange.o | Oct 25, 2014 |
I really love Tim Burton's work. These poems and drawings are everything you would expect from Burton. Dark, funny, witty and cute. ( )
  morgantaylor | Oct 10, 2014 |
De feestdagen van Stokjesjongen
for Lisa Marie
Stokjesjongen was gek op Lucifermeisje,
hij was stapelgek op haar, elke dag.
Stick  Boy liked Match Girl,
He liked her a lot.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0688156819, Hardcover)

This unassuming hardcover in black buckram with a dark lavender title plate is the door into a world of twisted pleasures. Filmmaker Tim Burton (Edward Scissorhands, Beetlejuice, The Nightmare Before Christmas) tells 23 winsomely macabre stories about boys and girls who don't fit in. Their bodies are misshapen, their habits are odd, and their parents are appalled by them. But they do try hard to be human, like poor unwanted Mummy Boy, who's "a bundle of gauze": he goes for a walk in the park with his mummy dog. Some kids are having "a birthday party for a Mexican girl." They think Mummy Boy is a piñata: "They took a baseball bat and whacked open his head. Mummy Boy fell to the ground; he finally was dead. Inside of his head were no candy or prizes, just a few stray beetles of various sizes." For all its simple humor, The Melancholy Death of Oyster Boy & Other Stories is a peculiarly disturbing book about the violence that children suffer. It is illustrated in pen and ink, watercolor, and crayon. The themes and imagery are at a young-adult to adult level.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:01 -0400)

Filmmaker Tim Burton has become known for his unique visual brilliance - witty and macabre at once. Now, he gives birth to a cast of gruesomely sympathetic children - misunderstood outcasts who struggle to find love and belonging in their cruel, cruel worlds.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,110,111 books! | Top bar: Always visible