The Melancholy Death of Oyster Boy: and…

The Melancholy Death of Oyster Boy: and Other Stories (edition 1997)

by Tim Burton

Member:MostDisturbingBooks
Title:The Melancholy Death of Oyster Boy: and Other Stories
Authors:Tim Burton
Info:HarperEntertainment (1997), Edition: 1st, Hardcover, 128 pages
Tags:Fiction, Non-Fiction

The Melancholy Death of Oyster Boy & Other Stories by Tim Burton

The Gashlycrumb Tinies by Edward Gorey (Bookmarque)
    Bookmarque: If you're twisted enough to appreciate TGT, you will also love this.
    Cautionary tales for children by Hilaire Belloc (Moomin_Mama)
    Moomin_Mama: Both feature cruel but funny poems about the demise of children, and the illustrations are similar in tone.
    Roald Dahl's Revolting Rhymes by Roald Dahl (Bitter_Grace)
    Coraline by Neil Gaiman (SynonEmm)
    Skywriting by Word of Mouth : And Other Writings, Including "The Ballad of John and Yoko" by John Lennon (_eskarina)
    The Beastly Baby by Edward Gorey (Bitter_Grace)
    The Epiplectic Bicycle by Edward Gorey (Hibou8)
    Contes by Jacob Grimm (roulette.russe)
    roulette.russe: For the gloomy side of these stories...
    The Boy Who Kicked Pigs by Tom Baker (Moomin_Mama)
    Moomin_Mama: Both are morbid and strange and are illustrated similarly.

English (49)  Finnish (2)  Spanish (2)  Dutch (1)  All (54)
Wow. That was one very bizarre collection of poetry that has more sexual references than I could've imagined. Also super creepy, no matter how captivating the illustrations look.

I will confess I'm not the biggest Tim Burton fan. Maybe because Edward Scissorhands destroyed me and I have never been able to see it again. Maybe because I've never really been into anything too creepy. This book is definitely creepy. Did I say creepy? I mean CREEPY.

At least it had some Christmas stories to go with the holiday season. ( )
  lapiccolina | Jun 23, 2017 |
This was a collection of poetry with illustration by Tim Burton. The poems are all very off the wall, some are slightly disturbing, and most are darkly humorous. I would recommend for older teen to adult because of the content (there are a few poems with explicit sexual themes). I am a huge Tim Burton fan and ended up enjoying this a lot.

The majority of poems talk about strange and troubled children and the weird ailments or situations that haunt them. All in all they were well done, occasionally made me laugh out loud, and were definitely unique. The sketches are very Burtonesque and their style matches the poems well.

While I did enjoy this, it might be something that’s better read bit by bit over time. I sat down and read it all in one sitting and the poems (despite their quirkiness) actually got to be a bit repetitive.

Overall this is a must for all you Tim Burton fans out there. It’s a beautifully put together book and is full of strange and quirky poetry and illustration by Burton. ( )
  krau0098 | Jun 9, 2017 |
Siniestro. Hermoso. Desgarrador. ( )
  Glire | Jun 22, 2016 |
I think this was the first book that had actually managed to make me laugh out loud. I'm convinced Tim Burton has an imagination from outer space because this was pure genius. ( )
  shreya_kulsh | Mar 6, 2016 |
All the childish melancoly of Tim. A great man with child eyes. ( )
  Glaucialm | Feb 18, 2016 |
De feestdagen van Stokjesjongen
for Lisa Marie
Stokjesjongen was gek op Lucifermeisje,
hij was stapelgek op haar, elke dag.
Stick  Boy liked Match Girl,
He liked her a lot.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0688156819, Hardcover)

This unassuming hardcover in black buckram with a dark lavender title plate is the door into a world of twisted pleasures. Filmmaker Tim Burton (Edward Scissorhands, Beetlejuice, The Nightmare Before Christmas) tells 23 winsomely macabre stories about boys and girls who don't fit in. Their bodies are misshapen, their habits are odd, and their parents are appalled by them. But they do try hard to be human, like poor unwanted Mummy Boy, who's "a bundle of gauze": he goes for a walk in the park with his mummy dog. Some kids are having "a birthday party for a Mexican girl." They think Mummy Boy is a piñata: "They took a baseball bat and whacked open his head. Mummy Boy fell to the ground; he finally was dead. Inside of his head were no candy or prizes, just a few stray beetles of various sizes." For all its simple humor, The Melancholy Death of Oyster Boy & Other Stories is a peculiarly disturbing book about the violence that children suffer. It is illustrated in pen and ink, watercolor, and crayon. The themes and imagery are at a young-adult to adult level.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:01 -0400)

Filmmaker Tim Burton has become known for his unique visual brilliance - witty and macabre at once. Now, he gives birth to a cast of gruesomely sympathetic children - misunderstood outcasts who struggle to find love and belonging in their cruel, cruel worlds.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,067,566 books! | Top bar: Always visible