Song of the Water Boatman & Other Pond Poems…

Song of the Water Boatman & Other Pond Poems

by Joyce Sidman

A whimsical book of poetry that provides the reader with a unique twist on poetry. The reader will explore the pond habitat as species enjoy the new spring thaw and transition through seasons to the autumn freeze. The poems provide a creative read and then supporting facts about the species. The hand colored illustrations provide the reader with an unique perspective on the pond life.

I love this book of poetry as it explore the pond life. The illustrations and riddles are captivating for the reader. I also love the science connection made with this book as the books provides supporting facts about the pond ecosystem, but also a glossary to support the young reader. ( )
  mcnicol_08 | Apr 27, 2015 |
This is a poetry book. This book is filled with many different poems. All of the poems are about the hidden ponds and wetlands that are all over our world. The poems emphasize their beauty and also the mystery that they hold. ( )
  kfrost32 | Apr 13, 2015 |
This informational book is written in an interesting way. It features animals and insects that live in a pond habitat. I liked this book for 2 reasons. One reason is that I like the organization of it. For each animal or insect the author writes a poem and to make this book more information rich the author has added an extra textual feature in the form of paragraphs on the side of the pages. The variation of how the information is presented kept me wanting to read more.
I also liked the captivating poems that provided humor. One example is from the poem called, “Diving Beetle’s Food Sharing Rules,” that reads, “In short, if it moves, it is mine. If it’s anywhere near me, it is mine. If I’m hungry (and I’m always hungry), it is mine, mine, mine.”
For an informational book the information is not very in depth. For instance, there are no actual photographs, only paintings. Also, none of the illustrations include diagrams or labels, however considering the little amount of text there is I was pleases with the new information that I learned such as that dragonflies are actually born and raised in water. ( )
  nlinco1 | Apr 9, 2015 |
Great book for the classroom. It's sweet, fun, beautiful, and it presents an easy opportunity to teach science. From Spring to Fall, from duckweed to painted turtles, this book will engage and educate young minds.
  noah23 | Mar 14, 2015 |
After listening to one of my classmates read a poem from this book in class, I decided to read it for myself. I loved the poems as they described the different habitats of various animals that live around water. I think that this would be a great book to use with a science lesson. Joyce Sidman does not disappoint. ( )
  rpazmino-calligan | Nov 30, 2014 |

From spring’s first thaw to autumn’s chill, the world of the pond is a dramatic place. Though seemingly quiet, ponds are teeming with life and full of surprises. Their denizens—from peepers to painted turtles, duckweed to diving beetles—lead secret and fascinating lives. A unique blend of whimsy, science, poetry, and hand-colored woodcuts, this Caldecott Honor-winning collection invites us to take a closer look at our hidden ponds and wetlands. Here is a celebration of their beauty and their mystery.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:25:16 -0400)

A collection of poems that provide a look at some of the animals, insects, and plants that are found in ponds, with accompanying information about each.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,799,591 books! | Top bar: Always visible