Song of the Water Boatman & Other Pond Poems…

Song of the Water Boatman & Other Pond Poems

by Joyce Sidman

I love the pairing of nonfiction and poetry. There is a small informational piece on what is being described in verse. The illustrations are beautiful! This is a perfect cross-curriculum type of book. We always visit Jean Lafitte nature park and this would be a good text to read first. I like the description/poem about duckweed. There is also a glossary of terms at the back of the book that is very helpful. The book made we want to know more about the water bear. ( )
  SuPendleton | Jul 13, 2014 |
A unique blend of whimsy, science, poetry, and hand-colored woodcuts, this Caldecott Honor-winning collection invites us to take a closer look at our hidden ponds and wetlands. Here is a celebration of their beauty and their mystery.
  AyannaMagee | Apr 30, 2014 |
This would be a great book to use for writers workshop for introducing poetry.
  AMaffett | Apr 29, 2014 |
This is a collection of poems about the inhabitants of fresh water ponds. She does a great job capturing the mysteries of what lives above and under the surface. Like other Joyce Sidman poems informational text accompanies each poem. The illustrations are nothing short of her usual work. A beautiful book all around. Perfect to introduce poetry and a science lesson. I would recommend for grades 1 and up. ( )
  Imandayeh | Apr 24, 2014 |
The big idea of this book is to provide information to the reader about animals in a pond through poetry and prose. I liked this book for two reasons. First, the illustrations worked perfectly with the theme of the book. They had a watery feel to them, with calm colors and smooth shapes. The use of watercolor enhances the watery feel of the book. Secondly, the shape of the text in the poems adds depth to the poems. For instance, in the poem "Spring Splashdown," the words seem to fall downward as they say, "leaping, leaping," giving life to the words. ( )
  jdobso4 | Nov 26, 2013 |

From spring’s first thaw to autumn’s chill, the world of the pond is a dramatic place. Though seemingly quiet, ponds are teeming with life and full of surprises. Their denizens—from peepers to painted turtles, duckweed to diving beetles—lead secret and fascinating lives. A unique blend of whimsy, science, poetry, and hand-colored woodcuts, this Caldecott Honor-winning collection invites us to take a closer look at our hidden ponds and wetlands. Here is a celebration of their beauty and their mystery.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:25:16 -0400)

A collection of poems that provide a look at some of the animals, insects, and plants that are found in ponds, with accompanying information about each.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,605,543 books! | Top bar: Always visible