Song of the Water Boatman & Other Pond Poems…

Song of the Water Boatman & Other Pond Poems

by Joyce Sidman

A really cool collection of poems with stunning illustrations that seem inspired by Japanese artwork. Each poem is about a pond animal or pond life.
  SavannahRussell | Mar 13, 2016 |
Gorgeous artwork, poetry, and nonfiction paragraphs about animals living in a pond. Great for introducing science curriculum.
  gretchensanders | Mar 9, 2016 |
This story is a beautiful book about poems all about the pond life. Reading this book, I have learned a lot. I would highly recommend this book for anyone interested in the outdoors. I love the woodcuts that make up the illustrations. The story is made up of vibrancy. I think what I love the most of this story is that it is full of informational facts about the outdoors whether that is plants, animals, or the ponds. The poetry is well written and very accurate. The poems cover everything from talking about algae to a nymph to animals. The language is concise and precise. It is clear what the author is trying to say. The repetition of words such as “mine” in the poem Diving Beetle’s food Sharing Rules is to emphasize significance. ( )
  Diana_94 | Feb 21, 2016 |
Fun to read and interesting facts about animals in the pond. The illustrations are eye-catching, I picked this book because I was curious from reading the article in one if our discussions. Good book to learn new vocabulary.
  LBraaten | Jun 7, 2015 |
A whimsical book of poetry that provides the reader with a unique twist on poetry. The reader will explore the pond habitat as species enjoy the new spring thaw and transition through seasons to the autumn freeze. The poems provide a creative read and then supporting facts about the species. The hand colored illustrations provide the reader with an unique perspective on the pond life.

I love this book of poetry as it explore the pond life. The illustrations and riddles are captivating for the reader. I also love the science connection made with this book as the books provides supporting facts about the pond ecosystem, but also a glossary to support the young reader. ( )
  mcnicol_08 | Apr 27, 2015 |

From spring’s first thaw to autumn’s chill, the world of the pond is a dramatic place. Though seemingly quiet, ponds are teeming with life and full of surprises. Their denizens—from peepers to painted turtles, duckweed to diving beetles—lead secret and fascinating lives. A unique blend of whimsy, science, poetry, and hand-colored woodcuts, this Caldecott Honor-winning collection invites us to take a closer look at our hidden ponds and wetlands. Here is a celebration of their beauty and their mystery.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:49 -0400)

A collection of poems that provide a look at some of the animals, insects, and plants that are found in ponds, with accompanying information about each.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,886,065 books! | Top bar: Always visible