Song of the Water Boatman & Other Pond Poems…

Song of the Water Boatman & Other Pond Poems

by Joyce Sidman

After listening to one of my classmates read a poem from this book in class, I decided to read it for myself. I loved the poems as they described the different habitats of various animals that live around water. I think that this would be a great book to use with a science lesson. Joyce Sidman does not disappoint. ( )
  rpazmino-calligan | Nov 30, 2014 |
This book is a great book of poetry by Joyce Sidman. It describes different animals that live in or around water, such as ducks and frogs. There are also some facts also about the animals as well. The illustrations are amazing and are perfect for the poems. ( )
  kwolinski | Nov 25, 2014 |
Again, a lovely book full of poems and explanations about creatures, this time pond animals. Too wordy to read aloud as is, but ripe for plucking bits from for appropriate lessons. ( )
  kradish | Jul 30, 2014 |
I love the pairing of nonfiction and poetry. There is a small informational piece on what is being described in verse. The illustrations are beautiful! This is a perfect cross-curriculum type of book. We always visit Jean Lafitte nature park and this would be a good text to read first. I like the description/poem about duckweed. There is also a glossary of terms at the back of the book that is very helpful. The book made we want to know more about the water bear. ( )
  SuPendleton | Jul 13, 2014 |
A unique blend of whimsy, science, poetry, and hand-colored woodcuts, this Caldecott Honor-winning collection invites us to take a closer look at our hidden ponds and wetlands. Here is a celebration of their beauty and their mystery.
  AyannaMagee | Apr 30, 2014 |

From spring’s first thaw to autumn’s chill, the world of the pond is a dramatic place. Though seemingly quiet, ponds are teeming with life and full of surprises. Their denizens—from peepers to painted turtles, duckweed to diving beetles—lead secret and fascinating lives. A unique blend of whimsy, science, poetry, and hand-colored woodcuts, this Caldecott Honor-winning collection invites us to take a closer look at our hidden ponds and wetlands. Here is a celebration of their beauty and their mystery.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:25:16 -0400)

A collection of poems that provide a look at some of the animals, insects, and plants that are found in ponds, with accompanying information about each.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,376,696 books! | Top bar: Always visible