The Penelopiad by Margaret Atwood

The Penelopiad (original 2005; edition 2005)

by Margaret Atwood

3,9231831,312 (3.6)8 / 437
Member:morninggray
Title:The Penelopiad
Authors:Margaret Atwood
Info:Canongate (2005), Edition: 1st Edition 1st Printing, Hardcover
Collections:Read but unowned
Tags:Auteur: Canada, Taal: Engels, General Fiction, Retelling

The Penelopiad: The Myth of Penelope and Odysseus by Margaret Atwood (2005)

Lavinia by Ursula K. Le Guin (rarm)
    The Lost Books of The Odyssey: A Novel by Zachary Mason (alalba, jeanned)
    alalba: Both books offer alternative versions of the Odyssey.
    Weight: The Myth of Atlas and Heracles by Jeanette Winterson (nperrin)
    Medea by Christa Wolf (spiphany)
    The Songs of the Kings by Barry Unsworth (smithal)
    smithal: Unsworth has a bitterly satiric, debunking approach to the Illiad story, which readers who enjoyed the Penelopiad should appreciate.
    The Odyssey: A Modern Sequel by Nikos Kazantzakis (SilentInAWay)
    SilentInAWay: Picks up where the Penelopiad leaves off...
    Till We Have Faces by C. S. Lewis (AnnaClaire)
    AnnaClaire: A different author retelling a different myth, but they still seem to fit together nicely.
    Mythology by Edith Hamilton (sibyllacumaea)
    Achilles by Elizabeth Cook (Booksloth)
    Sita's Ramayana by Samhita Arni (eclecticdodo)
    eclecticdodo: both books are retellings of traditional tales, from the woman's perspective, challenging traditional gender roles
    Eine ganz gewöhnliche Ehe. Odysseus und Penelope. Roman by Inge Merkel (spiphany)
    Black Ships by Jo Graham (ryvre)

English (180)  French (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (182)
Atwood, writing with equal parts fury and whimsy, tells the story of Penelope's marriage to Odysseus, her wait, his return. Upon his return, her husband instructs Telemachus to kill 12 maids of court, for supposed disloyalty. This incident haunts Penelope and the reader alike. When I read the Odyssey, I completely overlooked this incident. Trust Atwood to call it to my attention. From Penelope's point of view, Odysseus does not come off as a humane adventurer but an irresponsible and brutish cad, small of stature. There goes my last Greek hero. I'd be interested to get Joseph Campbell's take on this retelling. Seance, anyone? ( )
  deckla | Apr 5, 2016 |
The Odyssey told from a different perspective. Very interesting and enjoyable. I was lucky enough to attend a reading in London by Atwood herself. She is just as mesmerizing as her stories. ( )
  tashlyn88 | Feb 5, 2016 |
A woman's perspective on what happened..."Now that all the others have run out of air, it's my turn to do a little story-making." Sometimes droll, sometimes hysterically funny and sometimes scary - a mythopoesis for our time. My favorite quotes: "...the gods often mumble..." and [about Helen of Troy:] "Why is it that really beautiful people think everyone else in the world exists merely for their amusement?" ( )
  dbsovereign | Jan 26, 2016 |
I was totally floored (in a very good way) by Atwood's recent "dystopian" works: (Oryx and Crake, The Year of the Flood). While I await the next in this series, I thought I'd try another one of her books. This did not disappoint. It is a brilliant parallel story to Homer's "The Odyssey" told from the perspective of his wife, Penelope, as well as a chorus of female servants that you will not soon forget. Besides loving Atwood's writing, I'd like to express my thanks to Canongate for their Myths series, which also includes such titles as The Good Man Jesus and the Scoundrel Christ by Philip Pullman; Lion's Honey (Samson) by David Grossman; and A Short History of Myth by Karen Armstrong. I have enjoyed all these titles and look forward to more. ( )
  bibleblaster | Jan 23, 2016 |
This book is part of the Canongate Myth Series, in which contemporary authors are invited to bring a famous myth into modern times. Atwood chose the myth of Odysseus and his wife, Penelope, because of her curiosity about two major questions: What was Penelope really up to while Odysseus was away all those years, and why did Odysseus murder 12 of Penelope's maids when he returned?

Chapters alternate between Penelope's telling of her version of the story and sections in which the 12 murdered maids act as a type of Greek chorus in telling their stories. All of the characters have spent the last several thousand years in the Underworld. Penelope is mildly aware of what's going on in the world of the living, and she has decided that enough time has passed for her to finally come forward with her own tale.

This is brilliant. Instead of reading at my normal pace, I found myself lingering over the novel and rereading passages because the prose was so well-written as to be almost lyrical. Atwood does a fantastic job of developing Penelope's character so that I could picture myself sitting next to her as she talked. And because it's Atwood there has to be a twist, which comes when Penelope reminds us that both she and Odysseus are accomplished liars and manipulators, so of course, there's no way of telling how much of what we've just read is true. This is a book that I will read multiple times because it was so enjoyable, although you do want to make sure you're familiar with The Odyssey before you dive in. ( )
  AmandaL. | Jan 16, 2016 |
She channels Penelope by way of Absolutely Fabulous; one can imagine her chain-smoking and swilling wine between cracks about the weakness of men and the misery they visit upon women.

Atwood has done her research: she knows that penelopeia means "duck" in Greek; that ribald stories about a Penelope - whether "our Penelope" or someone else - were circulated; and that virginity could be renewed by the blood of male sacrifice.

'... Shrewd Odysseus! ... You are a fortunate man to have won a wife of such pre-eminent virtue! How faithful was your flawless Penelope, Icarius' daughter! How loyally she kept the memory of the husband of her youth! The glory of her virtue will not fade with the years, but the deathless gods themselves will make a beautiful song for mortal ears in honour of the constant Penelope'

- The Odyssey, Book 24 (191-194)
. . . he took a cable which had seen service on a blue-bowed ship, made one end fast to a high column in the portico, and threw the other over the round-house, high up, so that their feet would not touch the ground. As when long-winged thrushes or doves get entangled in a snare . . . so the women's heads were held fast in a row, with nooses round their necks, to bring them to the most pitiable end. For a little while their feet twitched, but not for very long.

— The Odyssey, Book 22 (470-473)
For my family
The story of Odysseus' return to his home kingdom of Ithaca following an absence of twenty years is best known from Homer's Odyssey. Odysseus is said to have spend half of these years fighting the Trojan War and the other half wandering around the Aegean Sea, trying to get home, enduring hardships, conquering or evading mosters, and sleeping with goddesses. The character of 'wily Odysseus' has been much commented on: he's noted as a persuasive liar and disguise artist—a man who lives by his wits, who devises stratagems and tricks, and who is sometimes too clever for his own good. His divine helper is Pallas Athene, a goddess who admires Odysseus for his ready inventiveness. [from the Introduction]
Now that I'm dead I know everything. This is what I wished would happen, but like so many of my wishes it failed to come true. I know only a few factoids that I didn't know before. Death is much tooo high a price to pay for the satisfaction of curiosity, needless to say. [from Chapter I]
The novella version of The Penelopiad issued under Canongate's Myths series should not be combined with the theatrical version of Margaret Atwood's The Penelopiad - The Play (Faber and Faber ISBN 978-0571239498 and possibly other editions) due to the different form and content. Thank you.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 067697418X, Hardcover)

The internationally acclaimed Myths series brings together some of the finest writers of our time to provide a contemporary take on some of our most enduring stories. Here, the timeless and universal tales that reflect and shape our lives–mirroring our fears and desires, helping us make sense of the world–are revisited, updated, and made new.

Margaret Atwood’s Penelopiad is a sharp, brilliant and tender revision of a story at the heart of our culture: the myths about Penelope and Odysseus. In Homer’s familiar version, The Odyssey, Penelope is portrayed as the quintessential faithful wife. Left alone for twenty years when Odysseus goes to fight in the Trojan Wars, she manages to maintain the kingdom of Ithaca, bring up her wayward son and, in the face of scandalous rumours, keep over a hundred suitors at bay. When Odysseus finally comes home after enduring hardships, overcoming monsters and sleeping with goddesses, he kills Penelope’s suitors and–curiously–twelve of her maids.

In Homer the hanging of the maids merits only a fleeting though poignant mention, but Atwood comments in her introduction that she has always been haunted by those deaths. The Penelopiad, she adds, begins with two questions: what led to the hanging of the maids, and what was Penelope really up to? In the book, these subjects are explored by Penelope herself–telling the story from Hades — the Greek afterworld - in wry, sometimes acid tones. But Penelope’s maids also figure as a singing and dancing chorus (and chorus line), commenting on the action in poems, songs, an anthropology lecture and even a videotaped trial.

The Penelopiad does several dazzling things at once. First, it delves into a moment of casual brutality and reveals all that the act contains: a practice of sexual violence and gender prejudice our society has not outgrown. But it is also a daring interrogation of Homer’s poem, and its counter-narratives — which draw on mythic material not used by Homer - cleverly unbalance the original. This is the case throughout, from the unsettling questions that drive Penelope’s tale forward, to more comic doubts about some of The Odyssey’s most famous episodes. (“Odysseus had been in a fight with a giant one-eyed Cyclops, said some; no, it was only a one-eyed tavern keeper, said another, and the fight was over non-payment of the bill.”)

In fact, The Penelopiad weaves and unweaves the texture of The Odyssey in several searching ways. The Odyssey was originally a set of songs, for example; the new version’s ballads and idylls complement and clash with the original. Thinking more about theme, the maids’ voices add a new and unsettling complex of emotions that is missing from Homer. The Penelopiad takes what was marginal and brings it to the centre, where one can see its full complexity.

The same goes for its heroine. Penelope is an important figure in our literary culture, but we have seldom heard her speak for herself. Her sometimes scathing comments in The Penelopiad (about her cousin, Helen of Troy, for example) make us think of Penelope differently – and the way she talks about the twenty-first century, which she observes from Hades, makes us see ourselves anew too.

Margaret Atwood is an astonishing storyteller, and The Penelopiad is, most of all, a haunting and deeply entertaining story. This book plumbs murder and memory, guilt and deceit, in a wise and passionate manner. At time hilarious and at times deeply thought-provoking, it is very much a Myth for our times.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:31 -0400)

Homer's Odyssey is not the only version of the story. Mythic material was originally oral, and also local -- a myth would be told one way in one place and quite differently in another. I have drawn on material other than the Odyssey, especially for the details of Penelope's parentage, her early life and marriage, and the scandalous rumors circulating about her.… (more)

Canongate Books

An edition of this book was published by Canongate Books.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,911,661 books! | Top bar: Always visible