The Carnivorous Carnival by Lemony Snicket

The Carnivorous Carnival (original 2002; edition 2002)

by Lemony Snicket, Brett Helquist (Illustrator), Michael Kupperman (Illustrator)

Member:Kythe42
Title:The Carnivorous Carnival
Authors:Lemony Snicket
Other authors:Brett Helquist (Illustrator), Michael Kupperman (Illustrator)
Info:HarperCollins (2002), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 286 pages
Collections:Your library, Read, Own
Rating:***
Tags:A Series of Unfortunate Events, Comedy, Fiction, Humor, Lemony Snicket, Mystery, Satire

The Carnivorous Carnival by Lemony Snicket (2002)

The story starts with the Baudelaires in the trunk of Count Olaf's car. They ended up at a circus. The older children dressed as a 2-headed freak while the baby dressed as wolf baby. They and their freak coworkers were laughed at for their peculiarity. They find that their boss the gypsie is a fake. They convince her to try and help them escape into the mountains. Sadly she falls into a pit full of lions along with a worker of Count Olaf's.
Count Olaf convinces the freak coworkers to join his gang. The children play in character and say yes to get to the mountains. But the gypsie named Madame Lulu (real name Lucy) tells Count Olaf that the children weren't freaks but the Baudelaires. So he sticks the 2 elder children in a camper tied to Count Olaf's car. From there Count Olaf convinces the freak coworkers to cut the rope while driving. So the 2 elder Baudelaires are in a camper going down the mountain while Count Olaf kidnapped the youngest Baudelaire and is driving up the mountain. ( )
  AlexanderL.B4 | Jan 3, 2019 |
I love how this series is evolving. I feel so strongly for these kids, and their plight. And how they're struggling with whether or not they're still the protagonists or if they're becoming Villains like Olaf. ( )
  Monica_P | Nov 22, 2018 |
It's a bit unfair of me to review these books now, as I read them more or less as they were published. I loved Snicket's sense of humor, full of puns and dark subject matter (but still child-friendly overall). The overarching story about the Baudelaire children and their quest to find out more about their parents' secret life was compelling. The children are very likeable characters, and the other characters (who range from ineffectual to downright evil) are appealing in their over-the-top characterizations. ( )
  sweetiegherkin | Oct 22, 2018 |
And we finally get some backstory (and a real cliffhanger) ( )
  _rixx_ | Aug 30, 2018 |
This isn't the most exciting instalment of the series, and largely moves at a pretty sedate pace. However, it is one of the most interestingly different instalment of the series so far. It builds on the events of The Hostile Hospital, as the Baudelaires are forced to increasingly adopt Olaf's tactics in order to survive. Not only are they forced to rely on tricks they learned over the previous two books, but they also adopt disguises, lie and are even forced to contemplate murder. I really like the way that this series is starting to blur the lines between the heros and villains, especially as it indicates that the Baudelaire's parents and Snicket himself may have once ties with Olaf.

However, the book still has a few issues. We're nine books into the series now and the bigger picture is still unclear. We're no closer to understanding what the V.F.D does, or even what this stands for than we were when the term was first mentioned in book 5. This is also the first story to end on a cliff-hanger, breaking off on a very dramatic point that leaves the fate of one of the children unclear.

However, this series has hooked me now. Although I'm not convinced that the Baudelaires will find out anything more about their parents and the V.F.D as they head up the Slippery Slop, I've come this far now and I'm curious enough to want to read on. ( )
  ArkhamReviews | Feb 8, 2018 |

Snicket, Lemonyprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Helquist, BrettIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Curry, TimNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kupperman, MichaelIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Beatrice — Our love broke my heart, and stopped yours.
When my workday is over, and I have closed my notebook, hidden my pen, and sawed holes in my rented canoe so that it cannot be found, I often like to spend the evening in conversation with my few surviving friends.

Everybody loves a carnival! Who can fail to delight in the colourful people, the unworldly spectacle, the fabulous freaks?

A carnival is a place for good family fun - as long as one has a family, that is. For the Baudelaire orphans, their time at the carnival turns out to be yet another episode in a now unbearable series of unfortunate events. In fact, in this appalling ninth instalment in Lemony Snicket′s serial, the siblings must confront a terrible lie, a caravan, and Chabo the wolf baby. With millions of readers worldwide, and the Baudelaire′s fate turning from unpleasant to unseemly, it is clear that Lemony Snicket has taken nearly all the fun out of children′s books.

Ages 10+

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:44 -0400)

On the run as suspected murderers, the unlucky Baudelaire orphans find themselves trapped in the Caligari Carnival, where they must masquerade as freaks in order to hide from the evil Count Olaf.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 131,742,601 books! | Top bar: Always visible