The Carnivorous Carnival by Lemony Snicket

The Carnivorous Carnival (original 2002; edition 2002)

by Lemony Snicket, Brett Helquist (Illustrator), Michael Kupperman (Illustrator)

Member:Kythe42
Title:The Carnivorous Carnival
Authors:Lemony Snicket
Other authors:Brett Helquist (Illustrator), Michael Kupperman (Illustrator)
Info:HarperCollins (2002), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 286 pages
Collections:Your library, Read, Own
Rating:***
Tags:A Series of Unfortunate Events, Comedy, Fiction, Humor, Lemony Snicket, Mystery, Satire

The Carnivorous Carnival by Lemony Snicket (2002)

This isn't the most exciting instalment of the series, and largely moves at a pretty sedate pace. However, it is one of the most interestingly different instalment of the series so far. It builds on the events of The Hostile Hospital, as the Baudelaires are forced to increasingly adopt Olaf's tactics in order to survive. Not only are they forced to rely on tricks they learned over the previous two books, but they also adopt disguises, lie and are even forced to contemplate murder. I really like the way that this series is starting to blur the lines between the heros and villains, especially as it indicates that the Baudelaire's parents and Snicket himself may have once ties with Olaf.

However, the book still has a few issues. We're nine books into the series now and the bigger picture is still unclear. We're no closer to understanding what the V.F.D does, or even what this stands for than we were when the term was first mentioned in book 5. This is also the first story to end on a cliff-hanger, breaking off on a very dramatic point that leaves the fate of one of the children unclear.

However, this series has hooked me now. Although I'm not convinced that the Baudelaires will find out anything more about their parents and the V.F.D as they head up the Slippery Slop, I've come this far now and I'm curious enough to want to read on. ( )
  ArkhamReviews | Feb 8, 2018 |
The word "carnivorous," which appears in the title of this book, means "meat-eating," and once you have read such a bloodthirsty word, there is no reason to read any further. This carnivorous volume contains such a distressing story that consuming any of its contents would be far more stomach-turning than even the most imbalanced meal.
  jhawn | Jul 31, 2017 |
The 9th book in the series, it begins (as many books do) where the last book left off. The Baudilares are hiding in Count Olafs trunk, because it was the only way to escape from their last "adventure". When the car stops, they wait until everyone else gets out of the car, and the crawl out. They disguise themselves as freaks for the near by carnival, and are then employed by the ringleader, Madame Lulu. Later, the sneak into Lulu tent, only to find that the fortune telling abilities she claims to have are fake, and instead, she relies on a secret compartment full of file cards on a bunch of stuff.Madame Lulu reveals that she is a member Of VFD, an oraganization that has been kept secret in the entire series. They are almost fed to lions. They escape into the mountains disguised as associates of Count Olaf. They are discovered and the caravan they're in is cut from the car, and sent tumbling down the hill.

Like the rest of these books, this one is very unique. The narrative is written in multiple styles. This iteration has more than that going for it. There is a quote which basically says that when fighting monsters you should take care not to become one. In this book,that's kind of what happens. In the end, the Baudilares have to burn down the carnival at Olafs order. Would recommend to anyone.
  KaiY.B1 | Mar 23, 2017 |
Things just keep getting worse for the Baudelaire orphans. ( )
  nx74defiant | Mar 12, 2017 |
this series is really starting to drag, psychologically. You can only have so many bad things happen to people before the readers lose interest. Good must happen. ( )
  BookstoogeLT | Dec 10, 2016 |

Snicket, Lemonyprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Helquist, BrettIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Curry, TimNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kupperman, MichaelIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Beatrice — Our love broke my heart, and stopped yours.
When my workday is over, and I have closed my notebook, hidden my pen, and sawed holes in my rented canoe so that it cannot be found, I often like to spend the evening in conversation with my few surviving friends.

Everybody loves a carnival! Who can fail to delight in the colourful people, the unworldly spectacle, the fabulous freaks?

A carnival is a place for good family fun - as long as one has a family, that is. For the Baudelaire orphans, their time at the carnival turns out to be yet another episode in a now unbearable series of unfortunate events. In fact, in this appalling ninth instalment in Lemony Snicket′s serial, the siblings must confront a terrible lie, a caravan, and Chabo the wolf baby. With millions of readers worldwide, and the Baudelaire′s fate turning from unpleasant to unseemly, it is clear that Lemony Snicket has taken nearly all the fun out of children′s books.

Ages 10+

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:44 -0400)

On the run as suspected murderers, the unlucky Baudelaire orphans find themselves trapped in the Caligari Carnival, where they must masquerade as freaks in order to hide from the evil Count Olaf.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,341,761 books! | Top bar: Always visible