The Carnivorous Carnival (A Series of…

The Carnivorous Carnival (A Series of Unfortunate Events # 9) (original 2002; edition 2002)

by Lemony Snicket

Member:Steven_R_Burke
Title:The Carnivorous Carnival (A Series of Unfortunate Events # 9)
Authors:Lemony Snicket
Info:HarperCollins (2002), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 286 pages
Rating:*****

The Carnivorous Carnival by Lemony Snicket (2002)

It's got to be another 5 stars for this series! Even though it's for ages much younger than me I am enjoying it and finding myself thinking 'I'll read just one more chapter' and end up reading another 3-4. A good continuation of the story and we get some answers, but more questions as well (as usual). I would recommend this book. 5 out of 5 stars. ( )
  Beammey | Jul 23, 2016 |
The stowed away children find themselves in the hinterlands where Count Olaf has stopped to visit his trusted advisor, Madame Lulu. Disguising themselves as carnival freaks, the Baudelaire Orphans must reach Madame Lulu themselves without alerting the troupe, as the talented psychic may have the answers they need to find the one parent who survived the fire, as well as information on the Snicket File.

This installment of ASOUE offers even more information while still not offering a lot of information. It's an interesting situation for the reader, who feels like the mystery is closer to being solved, but not nearly enough to even suggest a solution. We're still collecting clues and clicking the border of the puzzle together, and while we think we're building an understanding of VFD (they are a mysterious organization full of spies, probably, and there are both good people and bad people who are a part of it), it turns out we don't really know much about it at all (what VFD stands for; why Olaf is so intent on killing the orphans and taking their fortune; why the troupe is so loyal to him.)
There is another reason these books stay interesting. It's the characters themselves (including the mysterious and tragic Lemony Snicket), especially the Baudelaires. In the earlier books we watched the children struggle to convince their (wildly absurd and useless) guardians that Count Olaf had returned; in later books we watch them struggle to stop him without alerting their guardians at all; and now, wanted for crimes they did not commit, the Baudelaires are themselves disguised while Count Olaf (presumed dead by the public and therefore with no need to disguise himself) is the one being followed. By making sure that the story offers clues and amswers, however useless or mysterious they are, and by letting the children learn and grow, Snicket keeps readers hooked. ( )
  Rituleen | Jul 2, 2016 |
Feeling out of options, the children tag along secretly with Count Olaf and discover some disturbing and yet hopeful news. They have yet another near escape. ( )
  tjsjohanna | Jun 30, 2016 |
To hide from Count Olaf, the Baudelaire orphans disguise themselves as a two-headed person and a half-wolf baby, and get work at a carnival. But alas, Count Olaf soon has the upper hand, and the Baudelaire orphans must use all their wits to survive. ( )
  wealhtheowwylfing | Feb 29, 2016 |
"But the sad truth is that the truth is sad, and what you want does not matter. A series of unfortunate events can happen to anyone, no matter what they want." ( )
  Glaucialm | Feb 18, 2016 |

Snicket, Lemonyprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Helquist, BrettIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Curry, TimNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kupperman, MichaelIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Beatrice — Our love broke my heart, and stopped yours.
When my workday is over, and I have closed my notebook, hidden my pen, and sawed holes in my rented canoe so that it cannot be found, I often like to spend the evening in conversation with my few surviving friends.

Everybody loves a carnival! Who can fail to delight in the colourful people, the unworldly spectacle, the fabulous freaks?

A carnival is a place for good family fun - as long as one has a family, that is. For the Baudelaire orphans, their time at the carnival turns out to be yet another episode in a now unbearable series of unfortunate events. In fact, in this appalling ninth instalment in Lemony Snicket′s serial, the siblings must confront a terrible lie, a caravan, and Chabo the wolf baby. With millions of readers worldwide, and the Baudelaire′s fate turning from unpleasant to unseemly, it is clear that Lemony Snicket has taken nearly all the fun out of children′s books.

Ages 10+

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:44 -0400)

On the run as suspected murderers, the unlucky Baudelaire orphans find themselves trapped in the Caligari Carnival, where they must masquerade as freaks in order to hide from the evil Count Olaf.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,205,765 books! | Top bar: Always visible