The Carnivorous Carnival (A Series of…

The Carnivorous Carnival (A Series of Unfortunate Events # 9) (original 2002; edition 2002)

by Lemony Snicket

Member:Steven_R_Burke
Title:The Carnivorous Carnival (A Series of Unfortunate Events # 9)
Authors:Lemony Snicket
Info:HarperCollins (2002), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 286 pages
Rating:*****

The Carnivorous Carnival by Lemony Snicket (2002)

English (52)  French (1)  All languages (53)
I love how clever and witty Lemony Snicket is. I liked him when I initially read his books in fifth grade and love him even more as I'm rereading the series. ( )
  aliterarylion | Jul 14, 2014 |
Worst book in the series, I didn't like it at all. The setting was weird and the plot was bonkers, even for these books. ( )
  katie1802 | May 10, 2014 |
Book 9: The Carnivorous Carnival finds the Baudelaires working in the House of Freaks at the Caligari Carnival where Count Olaf and his henchmen (including Esme Squalor) consult with Madame Lulu the fortune teller for information on the Baudelaires' whereabouts, the Snicket file and other things of importance. Where does Madame Lulu get her information? Is it really her crystal ball or something else? Where is Mr. Poe? How is Lemony Snicket involved in all of this? Who survived the fire? So many questions, so few answers. At least Sunny seems to be learning to speak more clearly. Surely, she'll be speaking in complete sentences by the next book. Enjoyable and (at times) a bit tedious as always. I especially enjoyed the literal, literary demonstration of what 'deja vu' means (as well as the explanations of other French phrases). ( )
  Marse | Apr 28, 2014 |
A Series of Unfortunate Events is the story of the three Baudelaire orphans, Violet, Claus and Sunny. The books are narrated by Lemony Snicket, a mysterious man who follows the story through clues passed on through a secret organization known only as the V.F.D. The series begins with the three children losing their parents in a fire. Consequently, a banker named Mr. Poe takes charge of the children and leaves them with the nearest relative, Count Olaf. The children, however, are dubious to the fact that Olaf is actually a relative. Olaf and his troupe become the villain of the series. During their stay with Count Olaf, the children are forced to perform ridiculous and cruel tasks. ( )
  MayaB.B3 | Oct 17, 2013 |
Isn't it nice when you stick with something for some time and it pays off? The ninth book in Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events, Carnivorous Carnival, is by far the first really good book in the series. Like the other Unfortunate books, the formula in this one is largely the same, but it all gels so much better. Add in some really hilarious new characters and great scenes and you've got a solid children's book.

Carnivorous Carnival excels for three reasons. First, the story is paced well and is logical (in a non-logical world). Sure, none of this series really makes any sense, but within this universe, this book is the most clear. Second, unlike some of the other books, the main characters all really fit into their roles. Violet and Klaus as Beverly and Elliot, respectively, with their voice changes and all. Sunny as Chabo (“Grrrr”). The Hook-Handed Man as The Hook-Handed Man. Plus, the audience, who played into the carnival so well. Third, the introduction of three new characters (who appear to be staying a little longer), especially Kevin, the ambidextrous freak. I hope to find that Snicket was able to keep them in the series for as long as they were relevant and entertaining.

I'm pushing hard on getting through this series now, because I have hopes of reading something different to the kids by Christmas. If the remaining four books are as good as this one, I shouldn't have difficultly getting it done.

A Series of Unfortunate Events:
The Austere Academy - 3.4
The Ersatz Elevator - 3.3
The Vile Village - 3.1
The Hostile Hospital - 3.4
The Carnivorous Carnival - 3.9 ( )
  chrisblocker | Sep 23, 2013 |

Snicket, Lemonyprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Helquist, BrettIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Kupperman, MichaelIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Curry, TimNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Beatrice -- Our love broke my heart, and stopped yours.
When my workday is over, and I have closed my notebook, hidden my pen, and sawed holes in my rented canoe so that it cannot be found, I often like to spend the evening in conversation with my few surviving friends.

Everybody loves a carnival! Who can fail to delight in the colourful people, the unworldly spectacle, the fabulous freaks?

A carnival is a place for good family fun - as long as one has a family, that is. For the Baudelaire orphans, their time at the carnival turns out to be yet another episode in a now unbearable series of unfortunate events. In fact, in this appalling ninth instalment in Lemony Snicket′s serial, the siblings must confront a terrible lie, a caravan, and Chabo the wolf baby. With millions of readers worldwide, and the Baudelaire′s fate turning from unpleasant to unseemly, it is clear that Lemony Snicket has taken nearly all the fun out of children′s books.

Ages 10+

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:53:46 -0400)

On the run as suspected murderers, the unlucky Baudelaire orphans find themselves trapped in the Caligari Carnival, where they must masquerade as freaks in order to hide from the evil Count Olaf.

Five editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,633,430 books! | Top bar: Always visible