Les désastreuses Aventures des Orphelins…

Les désastreuses Aventures des Orphelins Baudelaire, Tome 9: La Fête… (original 2002; edition 2004)

by Lemony Snicket

Member:bergg
Title:Les désastreuses Aventures des Orphelins Baudelaire, Tome 9: La Fête féroce
Authors:Lemony Snicket
Info:Nathan Jeunesse (2004), Paperback
Collections:Fiction, Your library, To read, Favorites
Tags:ebook

The Carnivorous Carnival by Lemony Snicket (2002)

To hide from Count Olaf, the Baudelaire orphans disguise themselves as a two-headed person and a half-wolf baby, and get work at a carnival. But alas, Count Olaf soon has the upper hand, and the Baudelaire orphans must use all their wits to survive. ( )
  wealhtheowwylfing | Feb 29, 2016 |
"But the sad truth is that the truth is sad, and what you want does not matter. A series of unfortunate events can happen to anyone, no matter what they want." ( )
  Glaucialm | Feb 18, 2016 |
The Baudelaires pursue Count Olaf & his henchpersons to a carnival; where they masquerade as employees of the freakshow. Unfortunately, someone gets the bright idea of boosting attendance at the sideshow by feeding performers to the lions.

As usual, adults are weak-willed and ineffectual, if not outright evil, and the children will have to rely on their own resources to make their escape... ( )
  AltheaAnn | Feb 9, 2016 |
Oh no.. what will happen now? ( )
  smiley0905 | Sep 3, 2015 |
Snicket engages in some serious moral wrangling in this volume, and forces the reader to do the same. At a crucial moment, the Baudelaire orphans meet a woman who wants to be a good, strong person -- but because her motto is "give people what they want," she can always be manipulated by villains, and always tells herself that she must be a good person, because isn't giving people what they want a good thing to do? The simple answer, "Not if they want bad things!" never seems to occur to her.

It occurs to the Baudelaires, of course. Partly because they're nobler than she is. Partly because they desperately need her help. In the course of trying to persuade her to give them what they need, they're forced to admit that in spite of their best intentions, they seem to be sliding down a slippery moral slope:

"Haven't you ever found yourself doing something you never thought you'd do?"

"I guess so," Klaus said, and turned to his sisters. "Remember when we stole those keys from Hal, at the Library of Records? I never thought I'd be a thief."

"Flynn," Sunny said, which meant something like, "And I never thought I would become a violent person, but I engaged in a sword fight with Dr. Orwell."

"We've all done things we never thought we'd do," Violet said, "but we always had a good reason."

"Everybody thinks they have a good reason," Olivia said.

Ouch.

This is the first book in the Series of Unfortunate Events to end on a really suspenseful cliffhanger. I'm glad I wasn't an early adopter with these books. I would have hated to have to wait a whole year to see what happened next. ( )
  Deborah_Markus | Aug 8, 2015 |

Snicket, Lemonyprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Helquist, BrettIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Curry, TimNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kupperman, MichaelIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Beatrice — Our love broke my heart, and stopped yours.
When my workday is over, and I have closed my notebook, hidden my pen, and sawed holes in my rented canoe so that it cannot be found, I often like to spend the evening in conversation with my few surviving friends.

Everybody loves a carnival! Who can fail to delight in the colourful people, the unworldly spectacle, the fabulous freaks?

A carnival is a place for good family fun - as long as one has a family, that is. For the Baudelaire orphans, their time at the carnival turns out to be yet another episode in a now unbearable series of unfortunate events. In fact, in this appalling ninth instalment in Lemony Snicket′s serial, the siblings must confront a terrible lie, a caravan, and Chabo the wolf baby. With millions of readers worldwide, and the Baudelaire′s fate turning from unpleasant to unseemly, it is clear that Lemony Snicket has taken nearly all the fun out of children′s books.

Ages 10+

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:44 -0400)

On the run as suspected murderers, the unlucky Baudelaire orphans find themselves trapped in the Caligari Carnival, where they must masquerade as freaks in order to hide from the evil Count Olaf.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,898,940 books! | Top bar: Always visible