Les désastreuses Aventures des Orphelins…

Les désastreuses Aventures des Orphelins Baudelaire, Tome 9: La Fête… (original 2002; edition 2004)

by Lemony Snicket

Title:Les désastreuses Aventures des Orphelins Baudelaire, Tome 9: La Fête féroce
Authors:Lemony Snicket
Info:Nathan Jeunesse (2004), Paperback
Collections:Fiction, Your library, To read, Favorites

The Carnivorous Carnival by Lemony Snicket (2002)

Oh no.. what will happen now? ( )
  smiley0905 | Sep 3, 2015 |
Snicket engages in some serious moral wrangling in this volume, and forces the reader to do the same. At a crucial moment, the Baudelaire orphans meet a woman who wants to be a good, strong person -- but because her motto is "give people what they want," she can always be manipulated by villains, and always tells herself that she must be a good person, because isn't giving people what they want a good thing to do? The simple answer, "Not if they want bad things!" never seems to occur to her.

It occurs to the Baudelaires, of course. Partly because they're nobler than she is. Partly because they desperately need her help. In the course of trying to persuade her to give them what they need, they're forced to admit that in spite of their best intentions, they seem to be sliding down a slippery moral slope:

"Haven't you ever found yourself doing something you never thought you'd do?"

"I guess so," Klaus said, and turned to his sisters. "Remember when we stole those keys from Hal, at the Library of Records? I never thought I'd be a thief."

"Flynn," Sunny said, which meant something like, "And I never thought I would become a violent person, but I engaged in a sword fight with Dr. Orwell."

"We've all done things we never thought we'd do," Violet said, "but we always had a good reason."

"Everybody thinks they have a good reason," Olivia said.

This is the first book in the Series of Unfortunate Events to end on a really suspenseful cliffhanger. I'm glad I wasn't an early adopter with these books. I would have hated to have to wait a whole year to see what happened next. ( )
  Deborah_Markus | Aug 8, 2015 |
While not the best book in the series, I still really enjoyed it mostly because SUNNY. The little thing is growing up! Which is both sad and wonderful. I love her and her cinnamon hot chocolate. She's so cute.

Lemony Snicket is also on a roll with his writing in this one. Going on about French terms and phrases and all that jazz. I love him. ( )
  BrynDahlquis | Feb 21, 2015 |
Yep, it's getting to the point where I can't put the books down now ... I can't think of anything to say about this installment that won't give something about the story line away ... It's getting so good!

On to Book 10!

Adrianne ( )
  Adrianne_p | Dec 14, 2014 |
I love how clever and witty Lemony Snicket is. I liked him when I initially read his books in fifth grade and love him even more as I'm rereading the series. ( )
  aliterarylion | Jul 14, 2014 |

Snicket, Lemonyprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Snicket, Lemonymain authorall editionsconfirmed
Helquist, BrettIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Kupperman, MichaelIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Curry, TimNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Beatrice -- Our love broke my heart, and stopped yours.
When my workday is over, and I have closed my notebook, hidden my pen, and sawed holes in my rented canoe so that it cannot be found, I often like to spend the evening in conversation with my few surviving friends.

Everybody loves a carnival! Who can fail to delight in the colourful people, the unworldly spectacle, the fabulous freaks?

A carnival is a place for good family fun - as long as one has a family, that is. For the Baudelaire orphans, their time at the carnival turns out to be yet another episode in a now unbearable series of unfortunate events. In fact, in this appalling ninth instalment in Lemony Snicket′s serial, the siblings must confront a terrible lie, a caravan, and Chabo the wolf baby. With millions of readers worldwide, and the Baudelaire′s fate turning from unpleasant to unseemly, it is clear that Lemony Snicket has taken nearly all the fun out of children′s books.

Ages 10+

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:44 -0400)

On the run as suspected murderers, the unlucky Baudelaire orphans find themselves trapped in the Caligari Carnival, where they must masquerade as freaks in order to hide from the evil Count Olaf.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,964,914 books! | Top bar: Always visible