The Ersatz Elevator by Lemony Snicket

The Ersatz Elevator (2001)

by Lemony Snicket

Other authors: Brett Helquist (Illustrator), Michael Kupperman (Illustrator)

Series: A Series of Unfortunate Events (6)

English (59)  French (1)  All languages (60)
The first real spanner in the works, the plot thickens a little we finally get a little more VFD action, I really want to know what it is now. ( )
  katie1802 | May 10, 2014 |
In the sixth book of this series, the Baudelaire children are taken in by the Squalors. The sinister building they live in has an incredibly long staircase and an elevator, but the elevator is out of service (or is it?). What is in the elevator? And where are the Quagmire triplets? The story proceeds with more and more hints that the fire that killed the Baudelaire parents was NOT an accident.
Sometimes the story bogs down, since the formula for this series is now very predictable, but enough is revealed about the narrator's story to keep you reading. ( )
  Marse | Apr 8, 2014 |
Ick. Fashion. XD JK.
  Melumebelle | Aug 8, 2013 |
The audiobook is fantastic! Fun and quirky, as always, with music and read by Tim Curry! ( )
  LaPhenix | Apr 18, 2013 |
Okay, these books are supposed to be absurd. I get it. But I was somehow able to not let my obsessive sensibilities get in the way through the first five books in this series. It didn't matter than a baby was dangled in a cage, that an old curmudgeon almost tricked a judge into marrying a minor, that children worked in a lumber mill, that these children could stay awake for twenty-four hours day after day, that there are banana eating leeches that can capsize a boat, and that anyone would hire Sunny as a receptionist (adorable!!! but not believable.)

This one grated on my patience though. Now what follows is a wee bit spoilerific, but you won't care. Three children climb down sixty-six floors of an elevator shaft using electrical cords, neck ties, and curtain pulls, climb back up, climb back down holding broiled fire tongs (did I mention one of these children is an infant?), climb back up, fall down the shaft only to have said infant climb back up using only her teeth, yada yada yada. Okay, so maybe a little more than a wee spoiler, but you'll forgive me.

Yeah, I get it, it's a children's book, but my voice of reason was shouting at me and it's never fun to be yelled at. So, otherwise the book was okay. A few funny moments and Handler's definitely adding nicely to the mytharc of the story now, which I'm glad to see. Overall, this one entertained me about as much as The Miserable Mill which is why I'm giving it the same unfortunate rating.

A Series of Unfortunate Events:
The Bad Beginning3.1
The Reptile Room3.2
The Wide Window3.6
The Miserable Mill - 3.3
The Austere Academy - 3.4
The Ersatz Elevator - 3.3 ( )
  chrisblocker | Apr 15, 2013 |

Lemony Snicketprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Helquist, BrettIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Kupperman, MichaelIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Curry, TimNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Beatrice -- When we met, my life began. Soon afterwards, yours ended.
The book you are holding in your two hands right now - assuming that you are, in fact, holding this book, and that you have only two hands - is one of two books in the world that will show you the difference between the word "nervous" and the word "anxious".

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0064408647, Hardcover)

Fans of Lemony Snicket's wonderful Series of Unfortunate Events won't be surprised to find that in the sixth installment the three Baudelaire orphans' new home proves to be something of a mixed bag. As our ever sad but helpful narrator states, "Although 'a mixed bag' sometimes refers to a plastic bag that has been stirred in a bowl, more often it is used to describe a situation that has both good parts and bad parts. An afternoon at the movie theater, for instance, would be a mixed bag if your favorite movie were showing, but if you had to eat gravel instead of popcorn. A trip to the zoo would be a very mixed bag if the weather were beautiful, but all of the man-and woman-eating lions were running around loose." And so it is for the bad-luck Baudelaires. Their fancy new 71-bedroom home on 667 Dark Avenue is inhabited by Esmé Gigi Geniveve Squalor (the city's sixth most important financial advisor), and her kindly husband, Jerome, who doesn't like to argue. Esmé is obsessed by the trends du jour (orphans are "in"), and because elevators are "out," Sunny, Violet, and Klaus have to trudge up 66 flights of stairs to reach the Squalors' penthouse apartment. (Other unfortunate trends include pinstripe suits, aqueous martinis--water with a faint olive-y taste--parsley soda, and ocean decorations.)

As the book begins, the Baudelaires are not only frightened in anticipation of their next (inevitable) encounter with the evil, moneygrubbing Count Olaf but they are also mourning the disappearance of their dear new friends from The Austere Academy, the Quagmires. It doesn't take long for Olaf to show up in another of his horrific disguises... but if he is on Dark Avenue, what has he done with the Quagmires? Once again, the resourceful orphans use their unique talents (Violet's inventions, Klaus's research skills, and the infant Sunny's strong teeth) in a fruitless attempt to escape from terrible tragedy. Is there a gleam of hope for the orphans and their new friends? Most certainly not. The only thing we can really count on are more gloriously gloomy adventures in the seventh book, The Vile Village. (Ages 9 and older) --Karin Snelson

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:59:13 -0400)

The woeful saga of the Baudelaire orphans continues as evil Count Olaf discovers their whereabouts at Esmé Squalor's seventy-one bedroom penthouse and concocts a new plan for stealing their family fortune.

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,665,106 books! | Top bar: Always visible