The Ersatz Elevator by Lemony Snicket

The Ersatz Elevator (2001)

by Lemony Snicket

Other authors: Brett Helquist (Illustrator), Michael Kupperman (Illustrator)

Series: A Series of Unfortunate Events (6)

English (61)  French (1)  All languages (62)
Of the 6 I've read so far, this one I enjoyed the most! Kept me on the edge of my seat and I literally gasped a number of times in the reading! This one was by far the best and I can't wait to keep reading!

I *love* how Sunny is having a more active role ... it's hilarious to me because she's a baby :-D

Adrianne ( )
  Adrianne_p | Dec 4, 2014 |
It has become very clear over the first six books that Lemony Snicket has a pattern. In essence, this book is exactly the same as all the rest. The Orphans are taken in by a guardian and soon find themselves trying to foil the scheme of a disguised Olaf. However, I've rated it a little higher than the others purely because I enjoyed it the most.

I love the setting of this novel and the tongue-in-cheek jabs at fashionistas. I love the absurd descriptions of 667 Dark Avenue and the Cafe Salmonella. I loved the eventual twist in this story's tale. And, as always, I love Snicket's deliciously dark writing style.

It only really lost a star due to its lack of originality. I do hope that Snicket mixes things up a little more in the Vile Village as I'd hate for this series to grow stale. ( )
  ArkhamReviews | Nov 12, 2014 |
The first real spanner in the works, the plot thickens a little we finally get a little more VFD action, I really want to know what it is now. ( )
  katie1802 | May 10, 2014 |
In the sixth book of this series, the Baudelaire children are taken in by the Squalors. The sinister building they live in has an incredibly long staircase and an elevator, but the elevator is out of service (or is it?). What is in the elevator? And where are the Quagmire triplets? The story proceeds with more and more hints that the fire that killed the Baudelaire parents was NOT an accident.
Sometimes the story bogs down, since the formula for this series is now very predictable, but enough is revealed about the narrator's story to keep you reading. ( )
  Marse | Apr 8, 2014 |
Ick. Fashion. XD JK.
  Melumebelle | Aug 8, 2013 |

Lemony Snicketprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Helquist, BrettIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Kupperman, MichaelIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Curry, TimNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Beatrice -- When we met, my life began. Soon afterwards, yours ended.
The book you are holding in your two hands right now - assuming that you are, in fact, holding this book, and that you have only two hands - is one of two books in the world that will show you the difference between the word "nervous" and the word "anxious".

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0064408647, Hardcover)

Fans of Lemony Snicket's wonderful Series of Unfortunate Events won't be surprised to find that in the sixth installment the three Baudelaire orphans' new home proves to be something of a mixed bag. As our ever sad but helpful narrator states, "Although 'a mixed bag' sometimes refers to a plastic bag that has been stirred in a bowl, more often it is used to describe a situation that has both good parts and bad parts. An afternoon at the movie theater, for instance, would be a mixed bag if your favorite movie were showing, but if you had to eat gravel instead of popcorn. A trip to the zoo would be a very mixed bag if the weather were beautiful, but all of the man-and woman-eating lions were running around loose." And so it is for the bad-luck Baudelaires. Their fancy new 71-bedroom home on 667 Dark Avenue is inhabited by Esmé Gigi Geniveve Squalor (the city's sixth most important financial advisor), and her kindly husband, Jerome, who doesn't like to argue. Esmé is obsessed by the trends du jour (orphans are "in"), and because elevators are "out," Sunny, Violet, and Klaus have to trudge up 66 flights of stairs to reach the Squalors' penthouse apartment. (Other unfortunate trends include pinstripe suits, aqueous martinis--water with a faint olive-y taste--parsley soda, and ocean decorations.)

As the book begins, the Baudelaires are not only frightened in anticipation of their next (inevitable) encounter with the evil, moneygrubbing Count Olaf but they are also mourning the disappearance of their dear new friends from The Austere Academy, the Quagmires. It doesn't take long for Olaf to show up in another of his horrific disguises... but if he is on Dark Avenue, what has he done with the Quagmires? Once again, the resourceful orphans use their unique talents (Violet's inventions, Klaus's research skills, and the infant Sunny's strong teeth) in a fruitless attempt to escape from terrible tragedy. Is there a gleam of hope for the orphans and their new friends? Most certainly not. The only thing we can really count on are more gloriously gloomy adventures in the seventh book, The Vile Village. (Ages 9 and older) --Karin Snelson

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:59:13 -0400)

The woeful saga of the Baudelaire orphans continues as evil Count Olaf discovers their whereabouts at Esmé Squalor's seventy-one bedroom penthouse and concocts a new plan for stealing their family fortune.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,485,863 books! | Top bar: Always visible