The Penultimate Peril by Lemony Snicket

The Penultimate Peril (original 2005; edition 2005)

by Lemony Snicket, Brett Helquist (Illustrator), Michael Kupperman (Illustrator)

Member:Kythe42
Title:The Penultimate Peril
Authors:Lemony Snicket
Other authors:Brett Helquist (Illustrator), Michael Kupperman (Illustrator)
Info:HarperCollins (2005), Edition: 1st, Hardcover, 368 pages
Collections:Your library, Read, Own
Rating:***
Tags:A Series of Unfortunate Events, Comedy, Fiction, Humor, Lemony Snicket, Mystery, Satire

The Penultimate Peril by Lemony Snicket (2005)

For a series that began so well, this book apparently didn't live up to expectations as I ranked it rather lower than previous titles. However, from this many years distance from my reading of the book, I can no longer recall what my particular quibbles with this title were. ( )
  sweetiegherkin | Oct 22, 2018 |
I loved the whole Denounement Hotel, especially having it organized according to the Dewey Decimal System. ( )
  _rixx_ | Aug 30, 2018 |
As the title suggests, this is the penultimate instalment of the series and is a very strong entry. While it perhaps does not start to wrap things up as much as you would like, it does dangle a couple of interesting carrots in front of the reader. Hints as to why Olaf hates the Baudelaires, clues as to what the sugar bowl contains and a possible first meeting between the orphans and Snicket himself make for a gripping instalment.

I also like the continued blurring of lines. This book further muddies the difference between the two sides of the schism as the Baudelaires are forced to do increasingly questionable things and question if anyone is truly noble all of the time. There is also a definite shift in their relationship with Olaf in this story, as Snicket finally begins to hint at a surprising motivation for his terrible actions. I also rather like the revelation that he struggles to spell simple worlds. It made me curious about where a dyslexic person would fall in a world where readers were considered to be "good".

The cliff-hanger ending of this story is tantalising, leaving the fates of many of the Baudelaire's allies and enemies up in the air. I'm really curious to see how all of this will conclude in the final instalment. ( )
  ArkhamReviews | Aug 3, 2018 |
It starts with Violet, Klaus, and Sunny Baudilare in a taxi cab driven by a pregnant Kit Snicket (Jaccues Snicket and Lemony Snickets sister) after getting a telegram by Quiggly Quagmire. Kit takes them to the Denouement hotel where she assigns them to a secret V.F.D mission where they must disguise as sort of Bell-hop kind of people that take orders from guests at hotels. She tells them that their is a set of twins there, one named Frank, and one named Ernest. Ernest is wicked and Frank is noble, they are identical so while taking the quests request must find out which is Frank and which is Ernest. The reason she is taking them their is because they must find out who are the noble and wicked people staying in the hotel so the big V.F.D. gathering and arrival of the extremely important sugar bowl goes as planed. When they get there either Frank or Ernest tells them about the bell system that signals what guest need something and immediately after 3 bells ring and the 3 siblings must split up and go to the forestry section of the hotel, the suntanning room, and a normal room. All 3 sibling meet people they have met before on each floor, Voilet who meets Esme Squalor and Carmilita Spatts, both of which are evil people who request a harpoon gun. They reveal that they need it to shoot down tamed V.F.D. birds caring the sugar bowl. She brings the harpoon gun only so her cover is not blown. Klaus meets Sir and Charles of Lucky Smells Lumber Mill. They ask him to escort them to the sauna and to wait out side. Because being on a mission he eavesdropps and finds out that they got a letter signed J.S. telling them that the Baudilares would be their. After, either Frank of Ernest walks in and says he needs to but a bird trap so if by some coincidence birds happen to suddenly fall down it will catch them implying that he will try to catch the sugar bowl. ( )
  HenryF.B4 | Sep 7, 2017 |
Ohh the poor Baudelaires. I'm glad it is almost the end. ( )
  nx74defiant | Apr 30, 2017 |

Lemony Snicketprimary authorall editionscalculated
Helquist, BrettIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Curry, TimNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Beatrice -- No one could extinguish my love, or your house.
Certain people have said that the world is like a calm pond, and that anytime a person does even the smallest thing, it is as if a stone has dropped into the pond, spreading circles of ripples further and further out, until the entire world has been changed by one tiny action.
The burning of a book is a sad, sad sight, for even though a book is nothing but ink and paper, it feels as if the ideas contained in the book are disappearing as the pages turn to ashes and the cover and binding—which is the term for the stitching and glue that holds the pages together—blacken and curl as the flames do their wicked work. When someone is burning a book, they are showing utter contempt for all of the thinking that produced its ideas, all of the labor that went into its words and sentences, and all of the trouble that befell the author.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0064410153, Hardcover)

10 Second Interview: A Few Words with Daniel Handler

Q: Your Wikipedia (online encyclopedia) entry defines you as author, screenwriter, and accordionist. Is that how you would describe yourself?
A: I find that nothing makes people back away faster at a social gathering than "accordionist." Except perhaps "screenwriter." And, even "author" always makes people nervous, so I usually say "writer."

Q: How long have you been writing?
A: All my life really, since I was able to write all I wanted to do was write. I think largely I ended up becoming a writer because I could think of nothing else that I was good at--at all. As a kid, I always wanted to be a writer, and I had no backup plan whatsoever as an adult.

Q: Are the Baudelaire children ever going to be happy?
A: Well, they are happy on a regular basis, just not for very long. Um, are they ever going to be happy permanently? I don't know any permanently happy people, thank goodness.

Q: Okay, then is the series going to end on a happy note?
A: Well, I always remind readers of the Snicket books that happy is a comparative term, so the end will be happier than some people would think, but less happy than others.

Q: When can fans expect the final book?
A: I believe the thirteenth volume will be released in the fall of 2006, although something terrible could happen to the author at any moment and then the books would not be released at all.

Looking for more from Daniel Handler? Check out his answers to Amazon.com's The Significant Seven.

An Interview with Lemony Snicket

Lemony Snicket has captured the hearts of childen and adults alike with the hilariously gloomy series that began, of course, with The Bad Beginning. Amazon.com had a chance to question the author of this marvelously morbid and delightfully depressing series, and the communication was grim indeed. Read the cumbersome communique and see for yourself.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:02 -0400)

The Baudelaire orphans disguise themselves as employees of the Hotel Denoument and find themselves pursued by the evil Count Olaf and by others.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 131,807,960 books! | Top bar: Always visible