The Penultimate Peril (A Series of…

The Penultimate Peril (A Series of Unfortunate Events, Book 12) (original 2005; edition 2005)

by Lemony Snicket

Member:Marensr
Title:The Penultimate Peril (A Series of Unfortunate Events, Book 12)
Authors:Lemony Snicket
Info:HarperCollins (2005), Hardcover, 368 pages
Tags:Children's Literature, Read, 2005

The Penultimate Peril by Lemony Snicket (2005)

The Last Safe Place is safe no more. All the noble" adults let the Baudelaire orphans down. Ends with the Baudelaires sailing away with Count Olaf. I have to say, Sunny's words are not just gibberish. I almost want to go back and read them again to see if I can pick up more stuff. In this one, the author lets their political leanings show. The word was "scalia" and it was interpreted as "it seems nonsense to interpret it literally". Justice Scalia is one of the few who still believe in Original Intent in regards to the U.S. Constitution. Whatever..." ( )
  BookstoogeLT | Dec 10, 2016 |
4 stars ( )
  JennysBookBag.com | Sep 28, 2016 |
The Baudelaire orphans are sent to Hotel Denouement in order to find out the identity of the mysterious J.S., and to ensure the safety of the building and its inhabitants until the rest of the members of V.F.D arrive. But complications arise when the Baudelaires cannot discern friend from foe and must carry out a series of confusing tasks that have them wondering if they themselves are helping those who would cause them harm.

The Penultimate Peril continues to deliver bizarre situations and surreal jokes as Snicket delves into the children's first official V.F.D. mission. As with the other books in this series, careful readers are rewarded with answers to mysterious questions and realizations that offer more information about the schism and at least one possible reason behind Olaf's determination to take down the Baudelaire orphans. An especially delightful aspect of these past few books has been Snicket's references to past events so that even the most innocuous guardians--like Aunt Josephine--take on a new, sometimes sinister, light. In the Penultimate Peril, not only does the reader see constant references to past events in relation to current ones, but characters reappear from as far back as The Bad Beginning. Good authors can trace back their timelines and track the adventures of most if not all of their characters. We see this not only in books but in television--the Harry Potter series, and Steven Universe, for example--and it serves as a sign of creators who truly care about the works they are creating.

In ASOUE, readers discover that they are not just watching children get carted around to cruel or ineffectual guardians because the world is an unpredictable place. The children are actually pawns in a game that is much bigger than they are, and that has been going on for much longer than they were even alive. Realizing this, and realizing that the Baudelaire Orphans are still only really trying to defeat Count Olaf--not solve the schism war despite being thrown into it--puts these books in an interesting place. The fate of the world is at stake here, but it isn't the Baudelaire's duty to finish the war that started when their parents were children. It's impossible, in fact, given how little they really understand the situation and given how impossible it is to get straight answers from any of the adults involved. The lives of the Baudelaire children is surrounded by the events and aftermath of the schism, but it isn't really about that. ASOUE is about the Baudelaires trying to survive in a world determined to cause them harm, without becoming as treacherous as Count Olaf. ( )
  Rituleen | Jul 30, 2016 |
I liked this book, but it for sure wasn't my favorite in the series. Now I'm just wondering how the entire series ends! I would recommend this book though. 4 out of 5 stars. Good story line and character development. ( )
  Beammey | Jul 23, 2016 |
As is fitting for the wrapping up of a story, all of the still living characters from the series show up at the Hotel Denouement. Despite the best intentions of the "good" adults, the children are still unprotected and furthermore are still struggling with the question of whether they have become as wicked as Count Olaf. ( )
  tjsjohanna | Jul 8, 2016 |

Lemony Snicketprimary authorall editionscalculated
Helquist, BrettIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Curry, TimNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Beatrice -- No one could extinguish my love, or your house.
Certain people have said that the world is like a calm pond, and that anytime a person does even the smallest thing, it is as if a stone has dropped into the pond, spreading circles of ripples further and further out, until the entire world has been changed by one tiny action.
The burning of a book is a sad, sad sight, for even though a book is nothing but ink and paper, it feels as if the ideas contained in the book are disappearing as the pages turn to ashes and the cover and binding—which is the term for the stitching and glue that holds the pages together—blacken and curl as the flames do their wicked work. When someone is burning a book, they are showing utter contempt for all of the thinking that produced its ideas, all of the labor that went into its words and sentences, and all of the trouble that befell the author.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0064410153, Hardcover)

10 Second Interview: A Few Words with Daniel Handler

Q: Your Wikipedia (online encyclopedia) entry defines you as author, screenwriter, and accordionist. Is that how you would describe yourself?
A: I find that nothing makes people back away faster at a social gathering than "accordionist." Except perhaps "screenwriter." And, even "author" always makes people nervous, so I usually say "writer."

Q: How long have you been writing?
A: All my life really, since I was able to write all I wanted to do was write. I think largely I ended up becoming a writer because I could think of nothing else that I was good at--at all. As a kid, I always wanted to be a writer, and I had no backup plan whatsoever as an adult.

Q: Are the Baudelaire children ever going to be happy?
A: Well, they are happy on a regular basis, just not for very long. Um, are they ever going to be happy permanently? I don't know any permanently happy people, thank goodness.

Q: Okay, then is the series going to end on a happy note?
A: Well, I always remind readers of the Snicket books that happy is a comparative term, so the end will be happier than some people would think, but less happy than others.

Q: When can fans expect the final book?
A: I believe the thirteenth volume will be released in the fall of 2006, although something terrible could happen to the author at any moment and then the books would not be released at all.

Looking for more from Daniel Handler? Check out his answers to Amazon.com's The Significant Seven.

An Interview with Lemony Snicket

Lemony Snicket has captured the hearts of childen and adults alike with the hilariously gloomy series that began, of course, with The Bad Beginning. Amazon.com had a chance to question the author of this marvelously morbid and delightfully depressing series, and the communication was grim indeed. Read the cumbersome communique and see for yourself.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:02 -0400)

The Baudelaire orphans disguise themselves as employees of the Hotel Denoument and find themselves pursued by the evil Count Olaf and by others.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,830,180 books! | Top bar: Always visible