The Penultimate Peril (A Series of…

The Penultimate Peril (A Series of Unfortunate Events, Book 12) (original 2005; edition 2005)

by Lemony Snicket, Brett Helquist (Illustrator)

Member:amerynth
Title:The Penultimate Peril (A Series of Unfortunate Events, Book 12)
Authors:Lemony Snicket
Other authors:Brett Helquist (Illustrator)
Info:HarperCollins (2005), Edition: 1st, Hardcover, 368 pages
Rating:***
Tags:read 2013, fiction, young adult, children's

The Penultimate Peril by Lemony Snicket (2005)

The closer I got t o the end of this series the more nervous I became. Especially with some of the revelations in this book. The gloom and doom factor is really high in the part of the series. It follows the same basic plot as the rest of the books, they find someone they can trust, that trust is broken through some devious means by Count Olaf and the orphans are in worse shape than before. Although this time is brings back characters from the other volumes and sort out the best of the best and worst of the worst. ( )
  Rosenectur | Mar 10, 2016 |
We've gotten to the meat of the action now! All of the good guys, bad guys, and of course, the Baudelaire orphans descend upon the Hotel Denoument. A sugar bowl (containing what?) is expected to arrive there at any moment, and everyone wants to be ready to grab it for themselves. The Baudelaires are enlisted to help VFD get the bowl, but their attempts to help are complicated by every possible conundrum and coincidence.

The complications and puzzles are perhaps a little *too* complicated and puzzling, and Snicket's repetitive style is particularly frustrating in this book, when so much action is going on and there are so few pages left to explain all the mysteries. Nevertheless, the book is a fun, slightly tense, read. ( )
  wealhtheowwylfing | Feb 29, 2016 |
"It is very difficult to makes one's way in this world without being wicked at one time or another, when the world's way is so wicked to begin with." "It can grow exhausting to stomp off in a huff every time someone has disappointed you, as everyone disappoints everyone eventually, and one can't stomp off in a huff every minute of the day." ( )
  Glaucialm | Feb 18, 2016 |
The Baudelaire orphans have made their way to the Hotel Denouement, supposedly the 'last safe place.' However, the effects of the schism in VFD are apparent, and it's impossible to tell who might be on the orphans' side - and who's a villain (especially when identical twins are involved).
As events play out in unexpected way, the orphans may not even be sure if they themselves are villains or not...

The book features the same witty wordplay and arch humor as the previous installments, but introduces a bit of complexity and ambiguity which really adds to the book (very welcome, since there was beginning to be a bit of repetitiveness to the formula...)
  AltheaAnn | Feb 9, 2016 |
"For the thing which I greatly feared is come upon me, and that which I was afraid of is come unto me. I was not in safety, neither had I rest, neither was I quiet; yet trouble came."

This book is probably the most daring in the series, literarily speaking. GR's spell check is telling me "literarily" isn't an actual word, but it's wrong. "Literarily" can be derived logically, so deal with it, spell check.

Snicket *crafts* this book. There are whole passages in mirror-writing. There's a "Not A Chapter." There are three chapters in a row that can be read in any order, because they take place simultaneously. None of this is whimsical or tossed carelessly onto the page. It's deliberate, significant, and a pleasure to read.

There are also numerous literary references, as is typical for the series. None of them are to the book of Job; but I quoted the verses above because to me they sum up the arc of this book perfectly.

The Baudelaires are fleeing from peril, as they have been all through this series. They come to what has been called "the last safe place." In the last few books, they have grappled with serious moral issues. They've agonized over whether their behavior is distinguishable from their enemies', and wondered if they really are standing on moral high ground.

In this penultimate peril, they learn that the most terrifying thing that can happen to heroes and heroines is not to be caught and captured by a villain, but to spark his admiration. Not because he's seen the error of his ways, but because he has a soft spot for the error of other people's ways -- especially people who have been in the habit of scorning his badness and taking their own virtue as a given.

As always, Snicket leaves me wanting to read more -- of his books and of those he quotes. ( )
  Deborah_Markus | Aug 8, 2015 |

Lemony Snicketprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Snicket, Lemonymain authorall editionsconfirmed
Helquist, BrettIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Curry, TimNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Beatrice -- No one could extinguish my love, or your house.
Certain people have said that the world is like a calm pond, and that anytime a person does even the smallest thing, it is as if a stone has dropped into the pond, spreading circles of ripples further and further out, until the entire world has been changed by one tiny action.
The burning of a book is a sad, sad sight, for even though a book is nothing but ink and paper, it feels as if the ideas contained in the book are disappearing as the pages turn to ashes and the cover and binding—which is the term for the stitching and glue that holds the pages together—blacken and curl as the flames do their wicked work. When someone is burning a book, they are showing utter contempt for all of the thinking that produced its ideas, all of the labor that went into its words and sentences, and all of the trouble that befell the author.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0064410153, Hardcover)

10 Second Interview: A Few Words with Daniel Handler

Q: Your Wikipedia (online encyclopedia) entry defines you as author, screenwriter, and accordionist. Is that how you would describe yourself?
A: I find that nothing makes people back away faster at a social gathering than "accordionist." Except perhaps "screenwriter." And, even "author" always makes people nervous, so I usually say "writer."

Q: How long have you been writing?
A: All my life really, since I was able to write all I wanted to do was write. I think largely I ended up becoming a writer because I could think of nothing else that I was good at--at all. As a kid, I always wanted to be a writer, and I had no backup plan whatsoever as an adult.

Q: Are the Baudelaire children ever going to be happy?
A: Well, they are happy on a regular basis, just not for very long. Um, are they ever going to be happy permanently? I don't know any permanently happy people, thank goodness.

Q: Okay, then is the series going to end on a happy note?
A: Well, I always remind readers of the Snicket books that happy is a comparative term, so the end will be happier than some people would think, but less happy than others.

Q: When can fans expect the final book?
A: I believe the thirteenth volume will be released in the fall of 2006, although something terrible could happen to the author at any moment and then the books would not be released at all.

Looking for more from Daniel Handler? Check out his answers to Amazon.com's The Significant Seven.

An Interview with Lemony Snicket

Lemony Snicket has captured the hearts of childen and adults alike with the hilariously gloomy series that began, of course, with The Bad Beginning. Amazon.com had a chance to question the author of this marvelously morbid and delightfully depressing series, and the communication was grim indeed. Read the cumbersome communique and see for yourself.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:02 -0400)

The Baudelaire orphans disguise themselves as employees of the Hotel Denoument and find themselves pursued by the evil Count Olaf and by others.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,259,678 books! | Top bar: Always visible