The Vile Village by Lemony Snicket

The Vile Village (original 2003; edition 2002)

by Lemony Snicket (Author)

Member:joeeasterly
Title:The Vile Village
Authors:Lemony Snicket (Author)
Info:Scholastic Inc. (2002), Edition: 1st, Paperback, 256 pages
Collections:Fiction & Literature, eBooks
Tags:children's books

The Vile Village by Lemony Snicket (2003)

Oh my god, would you just tell me already??? ( )
  Monica_P | Nov 22, 2018 |
The Baudelaire children continue on their quest to find out more about their deceased parents -- and to escape the clutches of Count Olaf and his troupe of miscreants. I read this title many years ago, but I do recall absolutely loving this series and being impatient to get my hands on the next book in the series! ( )
  sweetiegherkin | Oct 22, 2018 |
With the kids older now, we've really slowed down on the bedtime stories. Sadness. ( )
  morbusiff | Sep 20, 2018 |
There are always some small hints about Mr Snicket, which is kind of the worst thing about the whole thing. ( )
  _rixx_ | Aug 30, 2018 |
My feelings towards this instalment of the series are unfortunately a bit mixed. In terms of plot, its far from being the best entry in the series. It's slow moving and its plot is utterly bizarre. Which says a lot, given some of the trials that the Baudelaire siblings have faced thus far. I also felt that the end of this book was a bit of an anti-climax, with no clever plot to unmask Olaf or frantic escape.

I'm also starting to feel as though this series teases the reader a bit too much. As with the previous instalment, there is no more of Olaf's plan revealed and it's still not even explained what V.F.D actually stands for. In fact, the novel goes out of its way to hand answers to the orphans, only to snatch them away again. As we are seven books into the series now, I would have hoped that Snicket would have given us some morsel of plot development by now.

That said, I do appreciate the way that this book does mark a change in the dynamic of the series. Instead of moving to stay with new relatives and being forced to uncover Olaf's disguises, the Baudelaires instead find themselves framed for murder and on the run from the law. I suppose only time will tell if this switch does anything to spice up the series, but I'm at least curious to see how it will pan out in the next novel. ( )
  ArkhamReviews | Jan 25, 2018 |

Lemony Snicketprimary authorall editionscalculated
Curry, TimNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Helquist, BrettIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Beatrice -- When we were together I felt breathless. Now, you are.
No matter who you are, no matter where you live, and no matter how many people are chasing you, what you don't read is often as important as what you do read.
The children looked at one another again, a little less hopefully this time. The quoting of an aphorism, like the angry barking of a dog or the smell of overcooked broccoli, rarely indicates that something helpful is about to happen. An aphorism is merely a small group of words arranged in a certain order because they sound good that way, but oftentimes people tend to say them as if they were saying something very mysterious and wise.
"'Murder' is the word for a group of crows, like a flock of geese or a herd of cows or a convention of orthodontists."
Entertaining a notion, like entertaining a baby cousin or entertaining a pack of hyenas, is a dangerous thing to refuse to do. If you refuse to entertain a baby cousin, the baby cousin may get bored and entertain itself by wandering off and falling down a well. If you refuse to entertain a pack of hyenas, they may become restless and entertain themselves by devouring you. But if you refuse to entertain a notion - which is just a fancy way of saying that you refuse to think about a certain idea - you have to be much braver than someone who is merely facing some bloodthirsty animals, or some parents who are upset to find their little darling at the bottom of a well, because nobody knows what an idea will do when it goes off to entertain itself, particularly if the idea comes from a sinister villain.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0064408655, Hardcover)

The seventh book in Lemony Snicket's splendidly gloomy Series of Unfortunate Events shadows the three Baudelaire orphans as they plummet headlong into their next misadventure. Mr. Poe, their ineffective legal guardian, having exhausted all options for finding them a new home with relatives (including their 19th cousin), sadly entrusts his young charges' fate to a progressive guardian program formed with the premise "It takes a village to raise a child." Before they know it, the Baudelaires are being whisked off on a bus to a village (vile) named "V.F.D." Snicket fans who read The Austere Academy and The Ersatz Elevator will jump to see these three initials, as they provide a clue to the tragic disappearance of the Baudelaires' friends, the beloved, equally orphaned Quagmire triplets.

To the orphans' dismay, V.F.D. is covered in crows--so much so that the whole village is pitch-black and trembling. "The crows weren't squawking or cawing, which is what crows often do, or playing the trumpet, which crows practically never do, but the town was far from silent. The air was filled with the sounds the crows made as they moved around." Another disturbing element of the town is that the Council of Elders (who wear creepy crow hats) has thousands of rules, such as "don't hurt crows" and "don't build mechanical devices." Fortunately, the Baudelaires are taken in by a kindly handyman named Hector who cooks them delicious Mexican food and secretly breaks rules. Still, neither Hector nor an entire village can protect the orphans from the clutches of the money-grubbing Count Olaf, who has relentlessly pursued them (actually, just their fortune) since The Bad Beginning. Fans won't want to miss any of this marvelously morbid series! (Ages 9 and older) --Karin Snelson

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:00 -0400)

Under a new government program based on the saying "It takes a village to raise a child," the Baudelaire orphans are adopted by an entire town, with disastrous results.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,467,569 books! | Top bar: Always visible