The Vile Village (A Series of Unfortunate…

The Vile Village (A Series of Unfortunate Events #7) (original 2003; edition 2001)

by Lemony Snicket, Brett Helquist (Illustrator), Michael Kupperman (Illustrator)

Under a new government program based on the saying "It takes a village to raise a child," the Baudelaire orphans are adopted by an entire town, with disastrous results.
Member:AmCorKragujevac
Title:The Vile Village (A Series of Unfortunate Events #7)
Authors:Lemony Snicket
Other authors:Brett Helquist (Illustrator), Michael Kupperman (Illustrator)
Info:HarperCollins (2001), Edition: First Edition Later Printing, Hardcover, 272 pages
Tags:R19

The Vile Village by Lemony Snicket (2003)

Lending

Checked out 2019-11-15 — Due 2019-12-15 — Overdue
Recently added byprivate library, vobruba, stals, Bananareader, RobynLoew, MAA.Library, LenaHB, Dolios, gtsdsms, ashmj92887

SO now we’ve given up on useless Beaudelaire relatives, and we’re entrusting the orphans to an entire village! Surely a whole village can’t be entirely full of child abusers, right?

Full review here. ( )
  Shabraque | Nov 19, 2019 |
These children need a nap. They’ve been awake for four days straight. ( )
  Shahnareads | Oct 22, 2019 |
Oh my god, would you just tell me already??? ( )
  Monica_P | Nov 22, 2018 |
The Baudelaire children continue on their quest to find out more about their deceased parents -- and to escape the clutches of Count Olaf and his troupe of miscreants. I read this title many years ago, but I do recall absolutely loving this series and being impatient to get my hands on the next book in the series! ( )
  sweetiegherkin | Oct 22, 2018 |
With the kids older now, we've really slowed down on the bedtime stories. Sadness. ( )
  morbusiff | Sep 20, 2018 |

Lemony Snicketprimary authorall editionscalculated
Curry, TimNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Helquist, BrettIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Beatrice -- When we were together I felt breathless. Now, you are.
No matter who you are, no matter where you live, and no matter how many people are chasing you, what you don't read is often as important as what you do read.
The children looked at one another again, a little less hopefully this time. The quoting of an aphorism, like the angry barking of a dog or the smell of overcooked broccoli, rarely indicates that something helpful is about to happen. An aphorism is merely a small group of words arranged in a certain order because they sound good that way, but oftentimes people tend to say them as if they were saying something very mysterious and wise.
"'Murder' is the word for a group of crows, like a flock of geese or a herd of cows or a convention of orthodontists."
Entertaining a notion, like entertaining a baby cousin or entertaining a pack of hyenas, is a dangerous thing to refuse to do. If you refuse to entertain a baby cousin, the baby cousin may get bored and entertain itself by wandering off and falling down a well. If you refuse to entertain a pack of hyenas, they may become restless and entertain themselves by devouring you. But if you refuse to entertain a notion - which is just a fancy way of saying that you refuse to think about a certain idea - you have to be much braver than someone who is merely facing some bloodthirsty animals, or some parents who are upset to find their little darling at the bottom of a well, because nobody knows what an idea will do when it goes off to entertain itself, particularly if the idea comes from a sinister villain.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 141,803,185 books! | Top bar: Always visible