The Vile Village (A Series of Unfortunate…

The Vile Village (A Series of Unfortunate Events, Book 7) (original 2003; edition 2003)

by Lemony Snicket

5,20648858 (3.78)52
Member:Steven_R_Burke
Title:The Vile Village (A Series of Unfortunate Events, Book 7)
Authors:Lemony Snicket
Info:HarperChildren's Audio (2003), Edition: Unabridged, Audio CD
Rating:*****

The Vile Village by Lemony Snicket (2003)

English (47)  French (1)  All languages (48)
This is one my favourites of the series, I LOVED these books when I was a kid. I feel like they really taught me something, not least a lot of vocabulary.

This book changed the series completely, finally the kids are on their own. ( )
  katie1802 | May 10, 2014 |
Things are beginning to come together in the Seventh book of the "Series of Unfortunate Events". The Baudelaires are now in a town dedicated to and covered with crows. Through the crows, the children are delivered coded messages from the Quagmire triplets. The messages come in rhymes and the children spend much of their time (when not dealing with all the rules imposed on them by the townspeople) trying to decipher the 'poem'.
And here is where the book tickled the literature teacher in me. The children go about systematically thinking about the meaning of each line of the poem, about each word and each word's various meanings and interpretations. What a lovely way to introduce children to literary analysis. Not that the 'poem' is very deep, but it is a fine example of multi-layered readings that a child can easily grasp.
When they finally figure out the poem, they are able to rescue the Quagmire triplets, but as can be expected, the Baudelaire children do not escape with them. We learn, however, that Lemony Snicket is intimately related to what has been happening to the Baudelaire children, when his brother (?) Jacques Snicket makes a short and gruesome appearance in the book. Curiouser and curiouser. ( )
  Marse | Apr 9, 2014 |
Violet, Klaus, and Sunny arrive in a town covered in crows. They want to find the two Quagmire triplets, but will they? ( )
  MrsSparks | Oct 23, 2013 |
Another enjoyable book in the Series of Unfortunate Events series! I enjoyed the dark imagery of a city covered in crows with citizens who are all too eager to burn at the stake anyone who dares break one of their numerous rules. And of course, things never go well for our poor Boudelaire orphans, but they keep trudging along, making the most of their talents, working together to get through every dire situation. IMO, Lemony Snicket is an ingenious storyteller! ( )
  goode2shews | Aug 17, 2013 |
Having completed the seventh book in the Series of Unfortunate Events, I must say this one, The Vile Village, was the most difficult to get through. I imagine when I reach the end of the series, this is the one I'll look back on and ask, “what happened in that book?” I remember crows and... that's about it.

There were a few moments worth a snicker. The overarching mystery moved forward a little. Very little. Overall, this book was fairly ho-hum. I've seen many television series go through the same thing—a moment where the creative team loses focus, hopes to stretch the plot while they decide what to do next (Anyone remember Lost's “Stranger in a Strange Land”?) I hope that is the case here. I hope this isn't the new direction for A Series of Unfortunate Events, but merely a breather. The Vile Village was equal with The Bad Beginning in scope and overall story, but I expect more from the seventh book in a series, so I declare this one the worst so far.

A Series of Unfortunate Events:
The Bad Beginning3.1
The Reptile Room3.2
The Wide Window3.6
The Miserable Mill - 3.3
The Austere Academy - 3.4
The Ersatz Elevator - 3.3
The Vile Village - 3.1 ( )
  chrisblocker | Jul 29, 2013 |

Lemony Snicketprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Curry, TimNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Helquist, BrettIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Beatrice -- When we were together I felt breathless. Now, you are.
No matter who you are, no matter where you live, and no matter how many people are chasing you, what you don't read is often as important as what you do read.
The children looked at one another again, a little less hopefully this time. The quoting of an aphorism, like the angry barking of a dog or the smell of overcooked broccoli, rarely indicates that something helpful is about to happen. An aphorism is merely a small group of words arranged in a certain order because they sound good that way, but oftentimes people tend to say them as if they were saying something very mysterious and wise.
"'Murder' is the word for a group of crows, like a flock of geese or a herd of cows or a convention of orthodontists."
Entertaining a notion, like entertaining a baby cousin or entertaining a pack of hyenas, is a dangerous thing to refuse to do. If you refuse to entertain a baby cousin, the baby cousin may get bored and entertain itself by wandering off and falling down a well. If you refuse to entertain a pack of hyenas, they may become restless and entertain themselves by devouring you. But if you refuse to entertain a notion - which is just a fancy way of saying that you refuse to think about a certain idea - you have to be much braver than someone who is merely facing some bloodthirsty animals, or some parents who are upset to find their little darling at the bottom of a well, because nobody knows what an idea will do when it goes off to entertain itself, particularly if the idea comes from a sinister villain.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0064408655, Hardcover)

The seventh book in Lemony Snicket's splendidly gloomy Series of Unfortunate Events shadows the three Baudelaire orphans as they plummet headlong into their next misadventure. Mr. Poe, their ineffective legal guardian, having exhausted all options for finding them a new home with relatives (including their 19th cousin), sadly entrusts his young charges' fate to a progressive guardian program formed with the premise "It takes a village to raise a child." Before they know it, the Baudelaires are being whisked off on a bus to a village (vile) named "V.F.D." Snicket fans who read The Austere Academy and The Ersatz Elevator will jump to see these three initials, as they provide a clue to the tragic disappearance of the Baudelaires' friends, the beloved, equally orphaned Quagmire triplets.

To the orphans' dismay, V.F.D. is covered in crows--so much so that the whole village is pitch-black and trembling. "The crows weren't squawking or cawing, which is what crows often do, or playing the trumpet, which crows practically never do, but the town was far from silent. The air was filled with the sounds the crows made as they moved around." Another disturbing element of the town is that the Council of Elders (who wear creepy crow hats) has thousands of rules, such as "don't hurt crows" and "don't build mechanical devices." Fortunately, the Baudelaires are taken in by a kindly handyman named Hector who cooks them delicious Mexican food and secretly breaks rules. Still, neither Hector nor an entire village can protect the orphans from the clutches of the money-grubbing Count Olaf, who has relentlessly pursued them (actually, just their fortune) since The Bad Beginning. Fans won't want to miss any of this marvelously morbid series! (Ages 9 and older) --Karin Snelson

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:37:48 -0400)

Under a new government program based on the saying "It takes a village to raise a child," the Baudelaire orphans are adopted by an entire town, with disastrous results.

Five editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,779,997 books! | Top bar: Always visible