The Slippery Slope by Lemony Snicket

The Slippery Slope (original 2003; edition 2003)

by Lemony Snicket, Brett Helquist (Illustrator), Michael Kupperman (Illustrator)

Member:Kythe42
Title:The Slippery Slope
Authors:Lemony Snicket
Other authors:Brett Helquist (Illustrator), Michael Kupperman (Illustrator)
Info:HarperCollins (2003), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 352 pages
Collections:Your library, Read, Own
Rating:***
Tags:A Series of Unfortunate Events, Comedy, Fiction, Humor, Lemony Snicket, Mystery, Satire

The Slippery Slope by Lemony Snicket (2003)

Are characters are once again put into unfortunate circumstances, but this time it's a doozy. Violet and Klaus are sent rolling down a mountain in a vehicle with no brakes while Sunny is held in the clutches of Count Olaf and his posse.
Violet and Klaus end up finding the VFD headquarters, but it has burned down.
Meanwhile, Sunny discovers her talent for cooking when Count Olaf makes her do all the chores for his troupe, including making meals.
Violet and Klaus discover someone they thought was dead really isn't.
Sunny uses her cooking to send a signal to her siblings.
Klaus and Violet divide and conquer when Violet and the undead somebody decide to climb the mountain and follow the signal, whilst Klaus stays behind to decode a secret message.
Violet and the undead somebody end up kissing on their way up the mountain, despite having only met that morning.
Sunny meets two people so villainous even Olaf appears to fear them.
And our heroes struggle with the age old problem: if you do something wrong for a good reason, is it still wrong?

LOVED this book. Can't wait to finish the series. ( )
  Monica_P | Nov 22, 2018 |
Nearing the end of the Baudelaire children's story, this book manages to be as compelling and interesting as ever. I read it a long time ago, but I do recall the books as all being darkly humorous and very readable. I highly recommend for children (and adults) who can enjoy a certain type of snarky humor. ( )
  sweetiegherkin | Oct 22, 2018 |
Great amounts of backstory, action, development, and moral conflict! ( )
  _rixx_ | Aug 30, 2018 |
While this instalment of the series can be a little slow in places (especially when it comes to the translation of Verbal Fridge Dialogue), it also felt as though it was starting to move the story along. Finally - after nine other instalments - we learn who the VFD are and start to get some hints as to what it was that shattered the organisation. Finally, we get a clearer picture of how all of the adults (possibly all adults everywhere) are connected and why some are more benevolent towards the Baudelaires than others.

We also get a clear idea of the trajectory that the series will take next, at last starting to show the villains' master plan and setting the orphans on a wider quest. It's not just a matter of clearing their names anymore, but a race to save the potentially unaware members of the VFD from their enemies. There are also many hints at a bigger picture that the reader can't quite see - glimpses of long running feuds within the organisation, and we're still no closer to understanding the significance of the sugar bowl.

In terms of characterisation, the book is also very strong. Sunny gets her own solo mission in this book, proving that she is no longer a baby as she learns to prepare simple yet delicious meals and spies on Olaf and his troupe. While Violet and Klaus play a much smaller role in this book, we still get to see them question if their recent villainous behaviour is worth it, as well as discover just who it was who survived the fire.

The climax of this story was utterly thrilling (and surprisingly optimistic for this series), and I really look forward to seeing what new secrets the Baudelaires will discover in the Grim Grotto. ( )
  ArkhamReviews | Jul 5, 2018 |
I'm reading this with my nephew but I can't help but laugh at the author's twisted skewed view on life. How can you dislike a book that starts out: "A man of my acquaintance once wrote a poem called "The Road Less Traveled,” describing a journey he took through the woods along a path most travelers never used. The poet found that the road less traveled was peaceful but quite lonely, and he was probably a bit nervous as he went along, because if anything happened on the road less traveled, the other travelers would be on the road more frequently traveled and so couldn’t hear him as he cried for help. Sure enough, that poet is now dead.”

RivetedReaderMelissa | Mar 22, 2018 |

Snicket, Lemonyprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Helquist, BrettIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Curry, TimNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Beatrice -- When we met, you were pretty, and I was lonely. Now, I am pretty lonely.
A man of my acquaintance once wrote a poem called "The Road Less Traveled," describing a journey he took through the woods along a path most travelers never used.
But I will take a page from the book of the Snow Scout leader, and skip ahead to the next interesting thing that happened, which was very, very late at night, when so many interesting parts of stories happen and so many people miss them because they are asleep in their beds, or hiding in the broom closet of a mustard factory, disguised as a dustpan to fool the night watchwoman.
"Busheney," Sunny said, which meant something along the lines of, "You're an evil man with no concern whatsoever for other people."

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0064410137, Hardcover)

What would you do if you found yourself trapped in a runaway caravan hurtling down a precipitous mountain slope? Fourteen-year-old Violet, the oldest orphan of the three Baudelaires, decides to try to slow the velocity of the caravan with a drag-chute invention involving a viscous combination of blackstrap molasses, maple syrup, maraschino liqueur, peanut butter, etc. If plummeting to their death weren't scary enough, Violet and her brother Klaus have been separated from Sunny, their baby sister who is in a car headed in the opposite direction up the mountain with the "facinorous" Count Olaf, his "villainous and stylish" girlfriend Esmé Squalor, and their creepy sidekicks. Do Violet and Klaus find Sunny on the mountain? How will they survive the treacherous, snow-covered peaks with not much more than a ukulele and a bread knife, especially in the face of the "organized, ill-tempered" snow gnats? Will they finally unearth the mystery of the V.F.D.? Will they find out if one of their parents is alive after all? The suspense! As ever, the Baudelaires' unfolding tale of woe is sprinkled with Lemony Snicket's ridiculous, hilarious observations such as "Fate is like a strange, unpopular restaurant with odd waiters who bring you things you never asked for and don't always like." The tenth book in The Series of Unfortunate Events takes readers through the Mortmain Mountains to the churning waters of the Stricken Stream with all the coexistent horror and silliness a Snicket fan could hope for along the way. (Ages 9 and older) --Karin Snelson

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:32 -0400)

In the perilous Mortmain Mountains, Klaus and Violet Baudelaire meet another well-read person, who helps them try to rescue Sunny from the villainous Count Olaf and his henchmen as they all near "the last safe place."

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 131,689,739 books! | Top bar: Always visible