The Slippery Slope by Lemony Snicket

The Slippery Slope (original 2003; edition 2003)

by Lemony Snicket, Brett Helquist (Illustrator), Michael Kupperman (Illustrator)

Member:Kythe42
Title:The Slippery Slope
Authors:Lemony Snicket
Other authors:Brett Helquist (Illustrator), Michael Kupperman (Illustrator)
Info:HarperCollins (2003), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 352 pages
Collections:Your library, Read, Own
Rating:***
Tags:A Series of Unfortunate Events, Comedy, Fiction, Humor, Lemony Snicket, Mystery, Satire

The Slippery Slope by Lemony Snicket (2003)

I'm reading this with my nephew but I can't help but laugh at the author's twisted skewed view on life. How can you dislike a book that starts out: "A man of my acquaintance once wrote a poem called "The Road Less Traveled,” describing a journey he took through the woods along a path most travelers never used. The poet found that the road less traveled was peaceful but quite lonely, and he was probably a bit nervous as he went along, because if anything happened on the road less traveled, the other travelers would be on the road more frequently traveled and so couldn’t hear him as he cried for help. Sure enough, that poet is now dead.”

RivetedReaderMelissa | Mar 22, 2018 |
Spoilers! /!

Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events: The Slippery Slope is the tenth installment in the "triskaidekalogy" a semi-word which here means, " a series of approximately thirteen books." In this book the two elder Baudelaires, Violet and Klaus ( who are age 14 and 13 respectively) are careening down the Rarely Ridden Road in a caravan since Count Olaf, a horrendous villain with an odd theater troupe, has cut the rope loose that attached to the caravan and his limo together. Even worse is that Sunny Baudelaire, the youngest Baudelaire child, is taken hostage by Count Olaf and his comrades. While the caravan is speeding down the hill, and closer to Violet and Klaus's demise, Violet fashions a drag chute, which here means a parachute that usually slows down certain cars, and Klaus makes a substance that contains a plethora of sticky ingredients to slow the vehicle down. They stop the caravan and gather as many things they can find, but after they gathered a few items, the caravan rolls off the cliff. Meanwhile, Count Olaf and his troupe force poor Sunny too set up their tents and cook their food, when the Count thinks Klaus and Violet are dead. The eldest Baudelaires battle their way through snow gnats, a painfully irritating bug that is only found in the Mortmain Mountains, and find the Snow Scouts. They soon learn that they know some of them, including Carmelita Spats, a former rival and Quigley Quagmire, a cartographer and the missing Quagmire triplet. Violet, Klaus, and Quigley go on and search for the headquarters of V.F.D. , which turns out to be burned down. Esmé, Count Olaf's girlfriend who came along with him, finds a "Verdant Flammable Device" which she calls a green cigarette. Sunny lights it and it emits green smoke, which the other Baudelaires, who are still at the bottom of the mountain, find it as a signal and go to the top , saying they're volunteers and asking for Sunny. The other Snow Scouts reach the summit then get taken away due to a large net and trained eagles. The next was a tangle of plots when Count Olaf tries to recruit the Snow Scouts. He also tells two of his accomplices to throw Sunny down the mountain, but they leave in protest. The Baudelaires and Quigley use their toboggan and slide down the waterfall. However, the waterfall shatters at the last moment and a flood happens. The flood ends up separating Quigley from the Baudelaires.

I rated this book like I did since I really enjoyed it. I have been a fan of Snicket for a long time so you could have guessed my rating if you knew me. However it wasn't the best one since the story line was a little hard to follow. Still, it was a great book overall and Mr. Helquist's art was superb like usual, so I had to give it a high rating.I also quite like the way Lemony writes because of the witty definitions he adds. There are also many nods to previous books in the series, which I enjoyed. If you enjoy reading books about odd and sinister plots (both in literature and literal), a range of wildly different characters, and "dark humor", this series of books are for you. I hope Snicket makes more books in the future. ( )
  GeoffreyA.G1 | Oct 23, 2017 |
Resuming from the end of the last book, The Baudelaire's were tumbling down a steep hill in a rickety caravan, only to be saved by Violets inventing skills at the last moment. From there on, they follow the Stricken Stream, which has turned a strange inky black. They are trying to get to V.F.D H.Q, where they hope to find answers, and possibly one of their parents, who are believed to be dead. They come across a group of backpackers known as Snow Scouts, and i n there ranks, Quigley Quagmire, who was presumed to have perished in the fire that killed his parents. Quigley and the Baudelaires then use an abandoned passageway to reach V.F.D H.Q. From here, they hatch a plan to rescue their baby sister, who was captured at the end of the last book. They are successful, but separated from Quigley.

This book, like the rest in the series, is very unique. The book is written in 1st person, but has a lot of parts focusing only on the story, which are written in 3rd. Most 1st person books are from someone in the story, but Lemony Snicket constantly interjects, while still not being an active character (yet). He is mentioned, in veiled references from relatives, friends, and photos, but has not made and actual appearance. His gradual integration into the story is mysterious and exciting. It is also made evident that he knows all the mysteries not yet revealed to the reader. I am starting to wonder if some things will ever be revealed, I would reccomed it to anyone. ( )
  KaiY.B1 | Mar 21, 2017 |
Sunny is growing up and has to manage on her own after she is separated from Violet and Klaus. The series continues to build to the end. Violet and Klaus deal with the decision - How far do you go? ( )
  nx74defiant | Mar 12, 2017 |
find the third Quagmire triplet, get separated from him at end. Find the VFD base, after it has been all burned down. I want this series to end. I doubt it will tho. ( )
  BookstoogeLT | Dec 10, 2016 |

Snicket, Lemonyprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Helquist, BrettIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Curry, TimNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Beatrice -- When we met, you were pretty, and I was lonely. Now, I am pretty lonely.
A man of my acquaintance once wrote a poem called "The Road Less Traveled," describing a journey he took through the woods along a path most travelers never used.
But I will take a page from the book of the Snow Scout leader, and skip ahead to the next interesting thing that happened, which was very, very late at night, when so many interesting parts of stories happen and so many people miss them because they are asleep in their beds, or hiding in the broom closet of a mustard factory, disguised as a dustpan to fool the night watchwoman.
"Busheney," Sunny said, which meant something along the lines of, "You're an evil man with no concern whatsoever for other people."

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0064410137, Hardcover)

What would you do if you found yourself trapped in a runaway caravan hurtling down a precipitous mountain slope? Fourteen-year-old Violet, the oldest orphan of the three Baudelaires, decides to try to slow the velocity of the caravan with a drag-chute invention involving a viscous combination of blackstrap molasses, maple syrup, maraschino liqueur, peanut butter, etc. If plummeting to their death weren't scary enough, Violet and her brother Klaus have been separated from Sunny, their baby sister who is in a car headed in the opposite direction up the mountain with the "facinorous" Count Olaf, his "villainous and stylish" girlfriend Esmé Squalor, and their creepy sidekicks. Do Violet and Klaus find Sunny on the mountain? How will they survive the treacherous, snow-covered peaks with not much more than a ukulele and a bread knife, especially in the face of the "organized, ill-tempered" snow gnats? Will they finally unearth the mystery of the V.F.D.? Will they find out if one of their parents is alive after all? The suspense! As ever, the Baudelaires' unfolding tale of woe is sprinkled with Lemony Snicket's ridiculous, hilarious observations such as "Fate is like a strange, unpopular restaurant with odd waiters who bring you things you never asked for and don't always like." The tenth book in The Series of Unfortunate Events takes readers through the Mortmain Mountains to the churning waters of the Stricken Stream with all the coexistent horror and silliness a Snicket fan could hope for along the way. (Ages 9 and older) --Karin Snelson

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:32 -0400)

In the perilous Mortmain Mountains, Klaus and Violet Baudelaire meet another well-read person, who helps them try to rescue Sunny from the villainous Count Olaf and his henchmen as they all near "the last safe place."

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,355,687 books! | Top bar: Always visible