Les désastreuses Aventures des Orphelins…

Les désastreuses Aventures des Orphelins Baudelaire, Tome 10: La Pente… (original 2003; edition 2005)

by Lemony Snicket

Member:bergg
Title:Les désastreuses Aventures des Orphelins Baudelaire, Tome 10: La Pente glissante
Authors:Lemony Snicket
Info:Nathan Jeunesse (2005), Paperback
Collections:Fiction, Your library, To read, Favorites
Tags:ebook

The Slippery Slope by Lemony Snicket (2003)

English (56)  French (1)  All languages (57)
This one seemed especially long, but quite a lot happens in it, so maybe it's appropriate.

Quigley is a great addition to the gang. I love how everyone has one specific talent. It might be a rather juvenile way of writing characters, but Lemony Snicket pulls it off very well. It also helps that his characters are interesting, and his plot is interesting, and his writing is very good.

Overall the best part about this book is Sunny. I swear she might be my favorite of the Baudelaires, because she's probably the most resourceful. And the fact that she's growing up brings me to tears.. ( )
  BrynDahlquis | Mar 28, 2015 |
This chapter book series is a great series to get kids to like reading. It allows them to be engulfed in the events that happen to these children, while building deeply on their imagination and imagery senses. this would be a good book to offer to a kid to read by themselves.
  harleybrenton | Mar 12, 2015 |
HE LI... YAH!

From the 1st chapter I really liked this book. We're told encouraging news from the get-go, it only because a matter of waiting for the details to be shared ... Fantastic! It keeps you encouraged and gives you hope for the orphans :-)

My *FAVORITE* part of this entire book has to be the part not shared because the writer decides to give a certain someone some privacy and not share a private moment. I think it's *awesome* because I can totally relate :-) My private moments are kept private and I think it's adorable that the author gave this character the same treatment. ADORABLE! Loved it :-)

Adrianne ( )
  Adrianne_p | Dec 23, 2014 |
Some new developments in the 10th book of A Series of Unfortunate Events: "The Slippery Slope" finds Sunny having to deal with Count Olaf and gang by herself for most of the story. She is just as resourceful and clever as the two older Baudelaires (of course), and by the end of the book she can proudly and accurately proclaim that she "is not a baby." A few persons from prior books reappear to the consternation and bafflement of our heroes. Violet and Klaus are united with an unexpected survivor of a horrible fire and walk a slippery slope themselves between becoming as monstrous as Count Olaf in trying to save their sister or retaining the goodness instilled in them by their deceased parents. I'm getting somewhat impatient and anxious to get to the end of the series. Will good triumph over evil? Highly, unlikely, and yet I read on... ( )
  Marse | May 14, 2014 |
Definitely one of the weirder books in the series. The whole thing takes place on a mountain, with Sunny in Count Olaf's clutches and Violet and Klaus trying to get her back. There were some real breakthrough's in the whole VFD case, but not nearly enough for it to have started to make any sense. I love how at this point, absolutely nothing is realistic, and the author has given up any pretence of acting as such. These books are just really, really good. ( )
  katie1802 | May 10, 2014 |

Snicket, Lemonyprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Helquist, BrettIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Curry, TimNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Beatrice -- When we met, you were pretty, and I was lonely. Now, I am pretty lonely.
A man of my acquaintance once wrote a poem called "The Road Less Traveled," describing a journey he took through the woods along a path most travelers never used.
But I will take a page from the book of the Snow Scout leader, and skip ahead to the next interesting thing that happened, which was very, very late at night, when so many interesting parts of stories happen and so many people miss them because they are asleep in their beds, or hiding in the broom closet of a mustard factory, disguised as a dustpan to fool the night watchwoman.
"Busheney," Sunny said, which meant something along the lines of, "You're an evil man with no concern whatsoever for other people."

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0064410137, Hardcover)

What would you do if you found yourself trapped in a runaway caravan hurtling down a precipitous mountain slope? Fourteen-year-old Violet, the oldest orphan of the three Baudelaires, decides to try to slow the velocity of the caravan with a drag-chute invention involving a viscous combination of blackstrap molasses, maple syrup, maraschino liqueur, peanut butter, etc. If plummeting to their death weren't scary enough, Violet and her brother Klaus have been separated from Sunny, their baby sister who is in a car headed in the opposite direction up the mountain with the "facinorous" Count Olaf, his "villainous and stylish" girlfriend Esmé Squalor, and their creepy sidekicks. Do Violet and Klaus find Sunny on the mountain? How will they survive the treacherous, snow-covered peaks with not much more than a ukulele and a bread knife, especially in the face of the "organized, ill-tempered" snow gnats? Will they finally unearth the mystery of the V.F.D.? Will they find out if one of their parents is alive after all? The suspense! As ever, the Baudelaires' unfolding tale of woe is sprinkled with Lemony Snicket's ridiculous, hilarious observations such as "Fate is like a strange, unpopular restaurant with odd waiters who bring you things you never asked for and don't always like." The tenth book in The Series of Unfortunate Events takes readers through the Mortmain Mountains to the churning waters of the Stricken Stream with all the coexistent horror and silliness a Snicket fan could hope for along the way. (Ages 9 and older) --Karin Snelson

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:53:32 -0400)

In the perilous Mortmain Mountains, Klaus and Violet Baudelaire meet another well-read person, who helps them try to rescue Sunny from the villainous Count Olaf and his henchmen as they all near "the last safe place."

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,556,716 books! | Top bar: Always visible