The Slippery Slope (Series of Unfortunate…

The Slippery Slope (Series of Unfortunate Events) (original 2003; edition 2003)

by Lemony Snicket, Brett Helquist (Illustrator)

Member:KateOrmand
Title:The Slippery Slope (Series of Unfortunate Events)
Authors:Lemony Snicket
Other authors:Brett Helquist (Illustrator)
Info:HarperCollins Publishers (2003), Edition: 1st, Hardcover, 337 pages
Rating:*****

The Slippery Slope by Lemony Snicket (2003)

Great amounts of backstory, action, development, and moral conflict! ( )
  _rixx_ | Aug 30, 2018 |
While this instalment of the series can be a little slow in places (especially when it comes to the translation of Verbal Fridge Dialogue), it also felt as though it was starting to move the story along. Finally - after nine other instalments - we learn who the VFD are and start to get some hints as to what it was that shattered the organisation. Finally, we get a clearer picture of how all of the adults (possibly all adults everywhere) are connected and why some are more benevolent towards the Baudelaires than others.

We also get a clear idea of the trajectory that the series will take next, at last starting to show the villains' master plan and setting the orphans on a wider quest. It's not just a matter of clearing their names anymore, but a race to save the potentially unaware members of the VFD from their enemies. There are also many hints at a bigger picture that the reader can't quite see - glimpses of long running feuds within the organisation, and we're still no closer to understanding the significance of the sugar bowl.

In terms of characterisation, the book is also very strong. Sunny gets her own solo mission in this book, proving that she is no longer a baby as she learns to prepare simple yet delicious meals and spies on Olaf and his troupe. While Violet and Klaus play a much smaller role in this book, we still get to see them question if their recent villainous behaviour is worth it, as well as discover just who it was who survived the fire.

The climax of this story was utterly thrilling (and surprisingly optimistic for this series), and I really look forward to seeing what new secrets the Baudelaires will discover in the Grim Grotto. ( )
  ArkhamReviews | Jul 5, 2018 |
I'm reading this with my nephew but I can't help but laugh at the author's twisted skewed view on life. How can you dislike a book that starts out: "A man of my acquaintance once wrote a poem called "The Road Less Traveled,” describing a journey he took through the woods along a path most travelers never used. The poet found that the road less traveled was peaceful but quite lonely, and he was probably a bit nervous as he went along, because if anything happened on the road less traveled, the other travelers would be on the road more frequently traveled and so couldn’t hear him as he cried for help. Sure enough, that poet is now dead.”

RivetedReaderMelissa | Mar 22, 2018 |
Spoilers! /!

Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events: The Slippery Slope is the tenth installment in the "triskaidekalogy" a semi-word which here means, " a series of approximately thirteen books." In this book the two elder Baudelaires, Violet and Klaus ( who are age 14 and 13 respectively) are careening down the Rarely Ridden Road in a caravan since Count Olaf, a horrendous villain with an odd theater troupe, has cut the rope loose that attached to the caravan and his limo together. Even worse is that Sunny Baudelaire, the youngest Baudelaire child, is taken hostage by Count Olaf and his comrades. While the caravan is speeding down the hill, and closer to Violet and Klaus's demise, Violet fashions a drag chute, which here means a parachute that usually slows down certain cars, and Klaus makes a substance that contains a plethora of sticky ingredients to slow the vehicle down. They stop the caravan and gather as many things they can find, but after they gathered a few items, the caravan rolls off the cliff. Meanwhile, Count Olaf and his troupe force poor Sunny too set up their tents and cook their food, when the Count thinks Klaus and Violet are dead. The eldest Baudelaires battle their way through snow gnats, a painfully irritating bug that is only found in the Mortmain Mountains, and find the Snow Scouts. They soon learn that they know some of them, including Carmelita Spats, a former rival and Quigley Quagmire, a cartographer and the missing Quagmire triplet. Violet, Klaus, and Quigley go on and search for the headquarters of V.F.D. , which turns out to be burned down. Esmé, Count Olaf's girlfriend who came along with him, finds a "Verdant Flammable Device" which she calls a green cigarette. Sunny lights it and it emits green smoke, which the other Baudelaires, who are still at the bottom of the mountain, find it as a signal and go to the top , saying they're volunteers and asking for Sunny. The other Snow Scouts reach the summit then get taken away due to a large net and trained eagles. The next was a tangle of plots when Count Olaf tries to recruit the Snow Scouts. He also tells two of his accomplices to throw Sunny down the mountain, but they leave in protest. The Baudelaires and Quigley use their toboggan and slide down the waterfall. However, the waterfall shatters at the last moment and a flood happens. The flood ends up separating Quigley from the Baudelaires.

I rated this book like I did since I really enjoyed it. I have been a fan of Snicket for a long time so you could have guessed my rating if you knew me. However it wasn't the best one since the story line was a little hard to follow. Still, it was a great book overall and Mr. Helquist's art was superb like usual, so I had to give it a high rating.I also quite like the way Lemony writes because of the witty definitions he adds. There are also many nods to previous books in the series, which I enjoyed. If you enjoy reading books about odd and sinister plots (both in literature and literal), a range of wildly different characters, and "dark humor", this series of books are for you. I hope Snicket makes more books in the future. ( )
  GeoffreyA.G1 | Oct 23, 2017 |
Like handshakes, house pets, or raw carrots, many things are preferable when not slippery. Unfortunately, in this miserable volume, I am afraid that Violet, Klaus, and Sunny Baudelaire run into more than their fair share of slipperiness during their harrowing journey up - and down - a range of strange and distressing mountains.
  jhawn | Jul 31, 2017 |

Snicket, Lemonyprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Helquist, BrettIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Curry, TimNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Beatrice -- When we met, you were pretty, and I was lonely. Now, I am pretty lonely.
A man of my acquaintance once wrote a poem called "The Road Less Traveled," describing a journey he took through the woods along a path most travelers never used.
But I will take a page from the book of the Snow Scout leader, and skip ahead to the next interesting thing that happened, which was very, very late at night, when so many interesting parts of stories happen and so many people miss them because they are asleep in their beds, or hiding in the broom closet of a mustard factory, disguised as a dustpan to fool the night watchwoman.
"Busheney," Sunny said, which meant something along the lines of, "You're an evil man with no concern whatsoever for other people."

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0064410137, Hardcover)

What would you do if you found yourself trapped in a runaway caravan hurtling down a precipitous mountain slope? Fourteen-year-old Violet, the oldest orphan of the three Baudelaires, decides to try to slow the velocity of the caravan with a drag-chute invention involving a viscous combination of blackstrap molasses, maple syrup, maraschino liqueur, peanut butter, etc. If plummeting to their death weren't scary enough, Violet and her brother Klaus have been separated from Sunny, their baby sister who is in a car headed in the opposite direction up the mountain with the "facinorous" Count Olaf, his "villainous and stylish" girlfriend Esmé Squalor, and their creepy sidekicks. Do Violet and Klaus find Sunny on the mountain? How will they survive the treacherous, snow-covered peaks with not much more than a ukulele and a bread knife, especially in the face of the "organized, ill-tempered" snow gnats? Will they finally unearth the mystery of the V.F.D.? Will they find out if one of their parents is alive after all? The suspense! As ever, the Baudelaires' unfolding tale of woe is sprinkled with Lemony Snicket's ridiculous, hilarious observations such as "Fate is like a strange, unpopular restaurant with odd waiters who bring you things you never asked for and don't always like." The tenth book in The Series of Unfortunate Events takes readers through the Mortmain Mountains to the churning waters of the Stricken Stream with all the coexistent horror and silliness a Snicket fan could hope for along the way. (Ages 9 and older) --Karin Snelson

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:32 -0400)

In the perilous Mortmain Mountains, Klaus and Violet Baudelaire meet another well-read person, who helps them try to rescue Sunny from the villainous Count Olaf and his henchmen as they all near "the last safe place."

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,812,125 books! | Top bar: Always visible