Lemony Snicket: The Unauthorized…

Lemony Snicket: The Unauthorized Autobiography (original 2002; edition 2003)

by Lemony Snicket (Author)

Member:Kythe42
Title:Lemony Snicket: The Unauthorized Autobiography
Authors:Lemony Snicket (Author)
Info:HarperCollins (2003), Edition: 1, 240 pages
Collections:Your library, To read, Own

Lemony Snicket: The Unauthorized Autobiography by Lemony Snicket (2002)

Under the guise of an autobiography, this books contains snippets of documents, photographs, letters, etc. regarding the Baudelaire orphans, the V.F.D., and the elusive Lemony Snicket and his connection to both of the aforementioned.

This title is a supplementary one to the Series of Unfortunate Events books. I should have read it way back when I read all the other books in that series, but for some reason I never got around to it until now. I'm sure that I missed some nuance here and there as I don't remember every detail from those books, but I thoroughly enjoyed reading this title.

Snicket's snarky humor and word play is hilarious from beginning to end (literally from the "all rights reserved page" to the index, Snicket throws in humorous bits throughout the book). Instead of the usual illustrations by Brett Helquist, this book contains various black-and-white photographs that have been re-purposed for comedic effect.

In the end, the book adds up to a lot of nothing -- we don't really learn anything new about the Baudelaires or the V.F.D. per se -- but it's a lot of fun nonetheless and a good addition to the Series of Unfortunate Events canon. If I had any quibbles at all, it's that some of the hand-written notes are in script and being as many schools no longer teacher cursive, I'm not sure that the target audience will be able to read those parts. ( )
  sweetiegherkin | Mar 19, 2017 |
So many questions and really, no answers at all.

Perfect for lovers of the Series of Unfortunate Events series who want to delve deeper into the unsolved mysteries of VFD. I greatly enjoy matching it up with parts of the Baudelaire series. I'm also glad that there aren't actually too many answers, because sometimes answers actually ruin a good mystery rather than solve it. ( )
  BrynDahlquis | Jul 4, 2016 |
In anticipation of the forthcoming release of The Slippery Slope (A Series of Unfortunate Events Book the Tenth) don't miss this depressing opportunity to warn even more readers off Lemony Snicket. Finally, here is the definitive – and only – book for anyone interested in learning more about the alarmingly elusive author. Ages 10
  wichitafriendsschool | Mar 25, 2016 |
If you pay attention and put the pieces together you'll get to understand more about Lemony Snicket and his past, or not... ( )
  Glaucialm | Feb 18, 2016 |
Ok, I cut ‘The End’ a lot of slack for its indeterminate conclusion and unanswered questions. However, “Lemony Snicket: The Unauthorized Autobiography” is basically just Daniel Handler going “nyah nyah nyah readers: these are all the questions that I know I didn’t answer, enumerated – and I’m still not going to answer them! PSYCH!”

It doesn’t have a plot, and it’s not a biography, auto- or otherwise.

However, if you read all 13 Unfortunate Events, you might as well read this one too – it’s part of the same work, as a whole. And it is kind of cool, actually. But still.
  AltheaAnn | Feb 9, 2016 |
The Unauthorized Autobiography is a most curious work. The strangeness begins at first encounter, with the binding: the hardback cover encloses the volume on its four high sides, vertically divided down the centre of the front cover for opening. The back cover reproduces Lemony Snicket’s obituary as printed in The Daily Punctilio, a yellow ‘post-it’ superimposed at the foot, with the handwritten message:
‘This obituary is filled with errors – most importantly – I AM NOT DEAD! – LS’.
The text runs to xxii + 212 pages, with a six-page index.
added by KayCliff | editThe Indexer, Hazel K. Bell (Aug 7, 2009)

Lemony Snicket, author of A Series of Unfortunate Events, the purportedly true chronicles of the Baudelaire children, was reported dead today by anonymous and possibly unreliable sources.
No part of this book may be used, reproduced, destroyed, tampered with, or eaten without written permission except in the case of brief, possibly coded quotations embodied in critical articles, reviews and subpoenas. Allegedly printed in the United States of America. For information address Harper Collins Children's Books, a division of HarperCollins Publishers, 1350 Avenue of the Americas, New York, NY 10019, although the people at this publishing house have no idea where the documents enclosed in this book came from. If you recognize yourself in any of the photographs of illustrations in this book you may find yourself in Very Frightening Danger and/or slightly embarrassed but there is nothing you can do about it. Please note that the author has been called a fraud, a criminal, a bestseller, a corpse, a fictional character, an unreliable narrator, an objective flaneur, an embattled gentleman, a magnetic field, an arsonist, and late for dinner by an odd number of dubious authorities. Send help at once. All rights reserved. Wouldn't you rather read about ponies?
"Snicket makes complicated arrangements for the delivery of the manuscript of the next book to his publisher, on the Lemony Snicket website and in Snicket's Unauthorized Autobiography. To further amuse readers, the U.S. hardcover edition of this book has a reversible dust jacket that can be "disguised" as The Luckiest Kids in the World Book 1: The Pony Party! by "Loney M. Setnick," which is an anagram of "Lemony Snicket".

A Warning from the Publisher: Many readers have questions about Lemony Snicket, author of the distressing serial concerning the trials of the charming but unlucky Baudelaire orphans, published under the collective title A Series of Unfortunate Events. Before purchasing, borrowing, or stealing this book, you should be aware that it contains the answers to some of those questions, such as the following: 1. Who is Lemony? 2. Is there a secret organization I should know about? 3. Why does Lemony Snicket spend his time researching and writing distressing books concerning the Baudelaire orphans? 4. Why do all of Lemony Snicket's books contain a sad dedication to a woman named Beatrice? 5. If there's nothing out there, what was that noise? Our advice to you is that you find a book that answers less upsetting questions than this one. Perhaps your librarian, bookseller, or parole officer can recommend a book that answers the question, "Aren't ponies adorable?"

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0060562250, Paperback)

Lemony Snicket: The Unauthorized Autobiography is bizarre, abstruse ("a word which here means 'cryptic'"), and truly entertaining. Would you expect anything less from the mystery man behind A Series of Unfortunate Events (The Bad Beginning, The Ersatz Elevator, etc.)? Virtually every detail of the volume has Snicket's indelible mark, from the book jacket (reversible to help readers disguise this "extremely dangerous" and "objectionable" autobiography) to the copyright page text to the intentionally blurry and bewildering black-and-white photographs appearing throughout. An apparently false obituary for Lemony Snicket sets the stage for what turns into a series of mind-boggling bundles of coded information passed from hand to hand, gleaned from newspapers blowing through streets, pages from a journal addressed to "Dear Dairy," blueprints of ships, minutes from secret meetings, and a lot of edited and disputed commentary. The question is, do we finally discover the meaning of VFD? You know you're not going to get a straight answer. But any fan of Snicket will have a lot of fun trying. (Ages 9 and older) --Emilie Coulter

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:25 -0400)

The elusive author provides a glimpse into his mysterious and sometimes confusing life, using fanciful letters, diary entries, and other miscellaneous documents as well as photographs and illustrations.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,405,914 books! | Top bar: Always visible