The 10pm Question by Kate De Goldi

The 10pm Question (2008)

by Kate De Goldi

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon (joannasephine)
    joannasephine: Very similar sorts of stories, and aimed at a similar audience.
    Black Swan Green by David Mitchell (JenMDB)

welve-year-old Frankie Parsons has a quirky family, a wonderful best friend, and a head full of worrying questions that he shares with his mother each night, but when free-spirited Sydney arrives at school with questions of her own, Frankie is forced to face the ultimate ten p.m. question. Summary BPL

I read THE 10 PM QUESTION primarily to help me understand the author's most recent book, THE ACB WITH HONORA LEE. A more conventional coming-of-age story aimed, or so my local library indicates, at Grade 6 to 8, THE 10 PM QUESTION describes the toxic trajectory (A curve that cuts all of a given family of curves or surfaces at the same angle) of anxiety. Frankie's mother is agoraphobic. The family accommodates her needs but it is almost taboo to speak about her condition. Frankie's own anxiety demands that he go to his mother's room every night with a worry she must resolve: the 10 pm question. At 12 years of age, he is questioning her way of life and growing increasingly troubled he might become like her. The Parsons' lives revolve around routine, stability, control.

Newcomer Sydney had attended 22 different schools by the age of 12. Her life is characterized by change and challenge. She doesn't expect to stay long in town which is probably for the best: home-made, hand-made funky clothes and dreds single her out as different at school. Most students avoid her, including Frankie and his best friend Gigs. Sydney refuses to be excluded and Frankie goes from being afraid of her to teaching her his secret language (this would be fun to hear in the audiobook version when it comes out) and eventually to falling in love with her. Both teens have problems at home: becoming friends and opening their hearts to one another, each finds the support to question, to discern, to envision the future in a positive light.
Frankie and Sydney are lovable, believable, delightful characters who make me want to meet their creator. Kate De Goldi strikes me as a person of empathy, positivity and with a profound love of language.

THE 10 PM QUESTION presents a gentle view of a condition not uncommon among teens nor adults. For this reason, it is an important as well as beautiful book.

8 out of 10 Highly recommended. ( )
  julie10reads | Apr 28, 2014 |
This had been on my wish list for several years, and I recently got it and read it quickly. I found the characters very engaging and real, and found myself missing their company today. Frankie Parsons is definitely a rare bird. A close to perfect young adult novel! ( )
  camnini | Apr 24, 2014 |
A delightful book about 12 year old Frankie. It's a story about half happy-half sad endings as Frankie and his new best friend Sydney come to terms with their respective mothers' issues and Frankie learns to deal with his own acute anxieties. The vocabulary is as rich as the emotions. I liked the way it was told in a slightly odd way, over a series of Tuesdays. I also enjoyed the subtle New Zealand flavour. ( )
1 vote eclecticdodo | May 5, 2013 |
I got this when it was a Kindle daily deal -- I couldn't resist a book about someone like me. My anxiety disorder didn't develop until I was twenty, but otherwise it's very much like Frankie's -- every little change to my body makes me panic I have cancer. And I have eczema, so I have a lot of rashes and bumpy skin and...

Anyway, Kate de Goldi writes sensitively but realistically about Frankie and his anxiety, framing it with his ordinary life, with the things that cause it and the things that make him seem okay. She also writes sensitively about his anxious, agoraphobic mother. And she doesn't pretend there's a miracle cure, either.

I really enjoyed it. I smiled in recognition, cringed in shared disgust, loved the characters. Well worth reading to help understand mental illnesses, in yourself or others, and -- to me, anyway -- it was somehow comforting. ( )
  shanaqui | Apr 9, 2013 |

Kate De Goldiprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Lenting, InekeTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Luciana and Jack, at the heart of it all
Tuesday the fourteenth of February began badly for Frankie Parsons.

Worry-prone Frankie keeps his family secret under control — until a bold, inquisitive girl enters his life — in this warm, witty, and captivating YA novel.

Twelve-year-old Frankie Parsons is a talented kid with a quirky family, a best friend named Gigs, and a voice of anxiety constantly nibbling in his head: Could that kidney-shaped spot on his chest be a galloping cancer? Are the smoke alarm batteries flat? Has his cat, The Fat Controller, given them all worms? Only Ma, who never leaves home, takes Frankie’s worries seriously. But then, it is Ma who is the cause of the most troubling question of all, the one Frankie can never bring himself to ask. When a new girl arrives at school — a daring free spirit with unavoidable questions of her own — Frankie’s carefully guarded world begins to unravel, leading him to a painful confrontation with the ultimate 10 p.m. question. Deftly told with humor, poignancy, and an endearing cast of characters, The 10 P.M. Question will touch everyone who has ever felt set apart.

Twelve-year-old Frankie Parsons has a quirky family, a wonderful best friend, and a head full of worrying questions that he shares with his mother each night, but when free-spirited Sydney arrives at school with questions of her own, Frankie is forced to face the ultimate ten p.m. question.… (more)

Candlewick Press

An edition of this book was published by Candlewick Press.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,460,049 books! | Top bar: Always visible