The Reptile Room by Lemony Snicket

The Reptile Room (original 1999; edition 2000)

by Lemony Snicket

Member:joeeasterly
Title:The Reptile Room
Authors:Lemony Snicket
Info:Scholastic Inc. (2000), Paperback, 190 pages
Collections:Fiction & Literature, eBooks
Rating:***
Tags:children's books

The Reptile Room by Lemony Snicket (1999)

English (149)  Dutch (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (151)
I love this series. This book is my favorite one in the series. I like Uncle Monty he is very intriguing. This is a really engaging read and is very good for older children. I remember reading these books as a child and I was never really a regular reader, but these books are page turners. I would definitely use this series in a classroom library. ( )
  AveryLong | Nov 25, 2018 |
I have all the same complaints from the first one. This series really seems more suited towards elementary schoolers than middle schoolers.

Although, I'd actually say this one is a tad MORE juvenile than the first.

I have to wonder-- what the hell was Count Olaf going to do in Peru that would get him the Baudelaire fortune that he couldn't do in England or wherever this story is set? I mean, honestly, He could kill you here or in Peru, he would get the fortune either way, so WHAT WAS HIS PLAN??? ( )
  Monica_P | Nov 22, 2018 |
This was a pretty decent children book. While reading it that is what I have to keep reminding myself, this was written for children. The narrator constantly telling us the meaning of words gets frustrating at times as an adult, but then I remind myself that it was a stylistic choice that conveys a certain tone in the Lemony Snicket character's persona. When i remind myself of this I can enjoy reading the book again. The plot is interesting and feels fast-paced enough. There was some controversy over cussing in this book, but in this context and how it is approached immediately by the narrator I don't find it terribly offensive or something that would cause me alarm for a child to read. Overall a good book. ( )
  CassieWinters | Oct 30, 2018 |
After their last disastrous stay with Count Olaf, the Baudelaire children are shipped off to live with their uncle Monty, a renown herpetologist. They immediately love the well-intentioned and quirky Monty, but sadly this is just one more chain in the series of unfortunate events the children will experience....

This book follows in the same vein as the previous title, with lots of dark humor, plays on words, and an eccentric cast of characters. The poor Baudelaire children are brilliant but never listened to by adults. Another compelling read in the series. ( )
  sweetiegherkin | Oct 22, 2018 |
Count Olaf is a great villain, and Snicket's talking to his audience continues to tickle my fancy. ( )
  morbusiff | Sep 20, 2018 |

Lemony Snicketprimary authorall editionscalculated
Helquist, BrettIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Curry, TimNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Beatrice -- My love for you shall live forever. You, however, did not.
The stretch of road that leads out of the city, past Hazy Harbor and into the town of Tedia, is perhaps the most unpleasant in the world.

Dear Reader,

If you have picked up this book with the hope of finding a simple and cheery tale, I'm afraid you have picked up the wrong book altogether. The story may seem cheery at first, when the Baudelaire children spend time in the company of some interesting reptiles and a giddy uncle, but don't be fooled. If you know anything at all about the unlucky Baudelaire children, you already know that pleasant events lead down the same road to misery.

In fact, within the pages you now hold in your hands, the three siblings endure a car accident, a terrible odor, a deadly serpent, a long knife, a long brass reading lamp, and a reappearance of a person they'd hoped never to see again.

I am bound to record these tragic events, but you are free to put this book back on the shelf and seek something lighter.

With all due respect,

Lemony Snicket

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0064407675, Hardcover)

The Reptile Room begins where Lemony Snicket's The Bad Beginning ends... on the road with the three orphaned Baudelaire children as they are whisked away from the evil Count Olaf to face "an unknown fate with some unknown relative." But who is this Dr. Montgomery, their late father's cousin's wife's brother? "Would Dr. Montgomery be a kind person? they wondered. Would he at least be better than Count Olaf? Could he possibly be worse?" He certainly is not worse, and in fact when the Baudelaire children discover that he makes coconut cream cakes, circles the globe looking for snakes to study, and even plans to take them with him on his scientific expedition to Peru, the kids can't believe their luck. And, if you have read the first book in this Series of Unfortunate Events, you won't believe their luck either. Despite the misadventures that befall these interesting, intelligent, resourceful orphans, you can trust that the engaging narrator will make their story--suspenseful and alarming as it is--a true delight. The Wide Window is next, and more are on their way. (Ages 9 and older) --Karin Snelson

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:38 -0400)

After narrowly escaping the menacing clutches of the dastardly Count Olaf, the three Baudelaire orphans are taken in by a kindly herpetologist with whom they live happily for an all-too-brief time.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,839,548 books! | Top bar: Always visible